Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am going to take a guess and say that said lady is mad about other stuff and had a bad falling out with todd and Danny and now she is either making poo poo up or taking stuff out of context. i dont know if i fully believe you yet but i can believe its more complex than it sounds like from the tweet.

dont do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Someone made a video defending Fallout 3? lol

Considering he teased it in his Pathologic video, Hbomb is going to. :v:

It'll just probably be sometime after Sonic 2, Night in the Woods and the Star Wars Prequel Defense.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CmdrKing posted:

Or perhaps talk about the matter any further. Available facts have been posted, judge them on their merits, move on? Too much to ask?

Renegade Cut just announced a followup to the “Joe Biden loving sucks” video, a three episode series dunking on other terrible candidates, starting with Bloomberg. Pretty hype, myself.

i have never cared for him because he isnt that good of media critic in my opinion but id be curious to see that because i think he has pretty good politics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

dont do this

sorry.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have never cared for him because he isnt that good of media critic in my opinion but id be curious to see that because i think he has pretty good politics.

I think he's a good critic, it just gets lost in his somewhat wooden delivery. His feature-length video on the Left Behind series was fantastic.

Work ethic like a horse, too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of long form videos, i cant wait til the new Tehsnakerer video. he tends to talk about weird jank games and dig deep into them to show what works and what doesnt and he is doing greedfall next a game i sorta like but havent finished.

FoldableHuman posted:

I think he's a good critic, it just gets lost in his somewhat wooden delivery. His feature-length video on the Left Behind series was fantastic.

Work ethic like a horse, too.

i dont think he is a bad dude. he can come off as kinda stand offish prickly which i can understand with the internet being what it is also he ranges a little into "thing bad" territory for my taste, i guess i prefer the lighter stuff like lindseys and your stuff compared to his. i prefer some light humor and exploration to deconstructing dumb/interesting stuff than the stiff school master who doesn't tolerate questions.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
His delivery has improved a lot since he retooled the show... baaasically right after the Left Behind feature? But yeah, lemme dig up his WWE video.

https://youtu.be/-q65D1Y0m8Y

Fairly representative of most of his work this past year.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

FoldableHuman posted:

I just want to go back to the days when I wasn't angry all the time. I used to really enjoy these threads, but lately I'm just sour and defensive.

I'm legit sorry I've been such a piece of poo poo. I'm not making things better, I'm not improving the threads, I'm not helping, and I'm not even being entertaining while doing it.

This isn't a farewell post. Just, like, I'm sorry.

did the UK election get to you?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

His delivery has improved a lot since he retooled the show... baaasically right after the Left Behind feature? But yeah, lemme dig up his WWE video.

https://youtu.be/-q65D1Y0m8Y

Fairly representative of most of his work this past year.

i like his fully politically focused stuff. i just think some people do his media lit stuff much better.

he does make good ones though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_pq579ilKY

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 13, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
lol lowtaxes' spine fund grows yet again

hope he got his kid back

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

speaking of long form videos, i cant wait til the new Tehsnakerer video. he tends to talk about weird jank games and dig deep into them to show what works and what doesnt and he is doing greedfall next a game i sorta like but havent finished.

have you watched his previous Spiders reviews, Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RottenK posted:

did the UK election get to you?

There's enough miserable poo poo happening in Canada before we throw ourselves into total despair watching the Tories rip apart the UK.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

watho posted:

this thread is making me see the point kaczynski was trying to make

Anyway, OSW Review looks at Survivor Series 1993, while Good Bad or Bad Bad has unhappy holidays with the sequel to Beverly Hills Christmas.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

FoldableHuman posted:

You're right. It makes me look like an rear end in a top hat (tbf, not untrue) and doesn't do anything to help Todd.

Todd's a good guy. Dany's good, too. You should listen to their podcast. Take those tweets with a grain of salt. I can't go into details because it's all private stuff that can't be shared without dragging in a bunch of people who would rather not be dragged in. That's probably what I should have said in the first place (barring the fact that I shouldn't have said anything), but I didn't, so here we are.

yes this is what you should've said, "I can't go into details because it's all private stuff that can't be shared without dragging in a bunch of people who would rather not be dragged in" would still be met with justified suspicion, but it's better and more understandable than your initial one which literally no one here is going to side with because it sounded like something a chud says about metoo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

have you watched his previous Spiders reviews, Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer?

yeah i love them. i played technomancer and agree with him. there is a good core idea there. but its just fucks around and never goes anywhere. spiders is a dev i really want to like and i feel that they may someday blow up like CDPR but they have a ton of jank still and still have issues creating stories.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

RottenK posted:

yes this is what you should've said, "I can't go into details because it's all private stuff that can't be shared without dragging in a bunch of people who would rather not be dragged in" would still be met with justified suspicion, but it's better and more understandable than your initial one which literally no one here is going to side with because it sounded like something a chud says about metoo

and the fact that the first one even happened makes this second one sound like disingenuous backpedaling

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i love them. i played technomancer and agree with him. there is a good core idea there. but its just fucks around and never goes anywhere. spiders is a dev i really want to like and i feel that they may someday blow up like CDPR but they have a ton of jank still and still have issues creating stories.

part of me is almost sad that they've gotten better at writing dialogue, as offensive as it could be at times in Mars: War Logs and especially Bound By Flame there was a sort of car crash fascinating charm to everyone in the world casually swearing in a disinterested tone

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CaptainViolence posted:

and the fact that the first one even happened makes this second one sound like disingenuous backpedaling

no? I mean unless you are saying dan is literally lying in the later posts

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I think FoldableHuman has been a cool dude in most every interaction I've seen with him online and in his videos. Dude had a knee-jerk emotional reaction for reasons he's not a liberty to say and freely admitted it was bad and immediately apologized. He's earned the benefit of the doubt in my opinion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Today, we all need a hug.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no? I mean unless you are saying dan is literally lying in the later posts
eh, agree to disagree, i guess. "there's more to the story" certainly isn't a lie because it's so vague, but to me it takes on a different meaning when prefaced with the prior post :shrug:

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I think FoldableHuman has been a cool dude in most every interaction I've seen with him online and in his videos. Dude had a knee-jerk emotional reaction for reasons he's not a liberty to say and freely admitted it was bad and immediately apologized. He's earned the benefit of the doubt in my opinion.

yeah, i don't know foldablehuman outside of poking my head into this thread every few months so i definitely don't want to seem like i'm making judgments on him as a person, but i also don't have the context to have that benefit of the doubt

more than anything,

MonsieurChoc posted:

Today, we all need a hug.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

part of me is almost sad that they've gotten better at writing dialogue, as offensive as it could be at times in Mars: War Logs and especially Bound By Flame there was a sort of car crash fascinating charm to everyone in the world casually swearing in a disinterested tone

Yeah, it reminded me of early witcher writing somewhat but a lot less clever because the witcher has book backings. New spiders writing is fine their stories never go anywhere and kinda just wrap up or drop threads all over the place. It doesn’t help that everything is super dice roll based and it stacks against the player. It’s like a metroidvania of dialogue choices but you can never go backwards.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
New RLM/Nerd Crew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIYCaXNe88

Aside from a few moments at this point I don't feel like their heart is even into their hate for Star Wars.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

stillvisions posted:

New RLM/Nerd Crew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIYCaXNe88

Aside from a few moments at this point I don't feel like their heart is even into their hate for Star Wars.

i think mandalorian has brought alot of good will back to the fanbase outside the weird super chuds or weird TLJ pro nuts.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I honestly feel like so much of their hate for the sequel trilogy has been really manufactured. It's their "brand" to hate on Star Wars at this point, so they do it to bring in the numbers. A lot of their complains have felt incredibly forced, and often they'll criticize things that are explained clearly in the film.

Maybe this is a stretch, but their constant "this is just a needless cash grab with with no thought" diatribes feel either deeply hypocritical, or actively projecting because they're doing the same thing.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
new star wars is bad outside of the heartbreakingly beautiful Baby Yoda but the latest Plinkett videos have felt obligatory and only fitfully insightful even to me, a boomer MAGA chud who gives TLJ a C-

i wish they would just stop it and put that effort into making more Best of the Worst episodes without Macaulay Culkin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I honestly feel like so much of their hate for the sequel trilogy has been really manufactured. It's their "brand" to hate on Star Wars at this point, so they do it to bring in the numbers. A lot of their complains have felt incredibly forced, and often they'll criticize things that are explained clearly in the film.

Maybe this is a stretch, but their constant "this is just a needless cash grab with with no thought" diatribes feel either deeply hypocritical, or actively projecting because they're doing the same thing.

i think they have some points but i sorta of agree. i think the disney movies have been a mixed bag, tfa is good but super safe and too many mystery boxes. Rogue one has some good moments but its characters feel like FPS game characters but shallower, TLJ has some great moments but is dragged down by a whole ton of poo poo and basicaly split the fan base and solo was fun but unneeded. all of them are better than the prequels though and i kinda prefer some of new canon to old canon. i like the mandalorian alot though.

i am just sick of the extreames of TLJ stuff. its either stupidly super positive and nothing it did was wrong and if you disliked it at all your a chud and its a classic that NEEDED to be made, like this dumb poo poo which makes some basic good points but lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqVJZMh6-w

or you get the 7 hour screeds and literaly kids books about how Rian and kathy killed my childhood and its the worst ever OR even worse you get the chud type reviews.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 13, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just tired of star wars as "event" media and that is on Disney. They distilled the FOMO phenomenon with their Marvel movies and then applied it to Star Wars and it's just exhausting. Yeah every star wars movie before Disney was also an event film but since the Disney manufacturing machine started pushing every big franchise film as a must see once-in-a-lifetime event it has sapped the fun out of it all. I shouldn't feel obligated to go watch movies in the theater but watching Disney products is more like a job than a pastime. I'm probably not going to watch another Marvel movie in theaters that isn't Guardians related now that I've watched Endgame and I doubt I'll be able to muster up the enthusiasm to do another Star Wars in theaters after episode 9.

Thank god The Mandalorian isn't pushing itself as another game of thrones watercooler show and it's just doing its own thing as an adventure of the week SF Western with good production values. It doesn't ask as much of an investment from the audience and it is goddamn refreshing by simply being a fun tv show I can tune into when I feel like it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 13, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/guyfieri/status/1201622881559556098?s=21

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Werent rlm reviews for the new trilogy like "it was ok" or mike saying "i didnt hate it." and poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And laughing at Rogue One for being a jumbled mess.
It's the oversaturation that bugs them the most. Constant exposure breeds contempt, though that's too strong a word.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ArfJason posted:

Werent rlm reviews for the new trilogy like "it was ok" or mike saying "i didnt hate it." and poo poo

yeah they were pretty measured about everything except Rogue One

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ArfJason posted:

they’ve spent an exhausting amount of time talking about how bad they think TLJ is in completely unrelated videos for about 2 years now

it’s just weird because it was the only starwars related thing released for such a long time that wasn’t like completely garbage or painfully mediocre

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe if they compiled it all and put it in a single video and subtitled it as "Measured Response", there would be a different reaction here.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Leal posted:

Maybe if they compiled it all and put it in a single video and subtitled it as "Measured Response", there would be a different reaction here.

i think "star wars bad" and "race science bad" are at a different level of deserving a long video that explains the position in detail

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Leal posted:

i mean this thread is pretty unanimous in its dislike for overly long media analysis videos that don’t really say anything

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

watho posted:

they’ve spent an exhausting amount of time talking about how bad they think TLJ is in completely unrelated videos for about 2 years now

it’s just weird because it was the only starwars related thing released for such a long time that wasn’t like completely garbage or painfully mediocre
Maybe my RLM knowledge is not deep enough but this doesn't really feel true.

Are you thinking of any specific videos? I remember kind of a running gag about family and maybe one about subverting expectations but never much more than an offhand comment and nothing I'd call exhausting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm just tired of star wars as "event" media and that is on Disney. They distilled the FOMO phenomenon with their Marvel movies and then applied it to Star Wars and it's just exhausting. Yeah every star wars movie before Disney was also an event film but since the Disney manufacturing machine started pushing every big franchise film as a must see once-in-a-lifetime event it has sapped the fun out of it all. I shouldn't feel obligated to go watch movies in the theater but watching Disney products is more like a job than a pastime. I'm probably not going to watch another Marvel movie in theaters that isn't Guardians related now that I've watched Endgame and I doubt I'll be able to muster up the enthusiasm to do another Star Wars in theaters after episode 9.

Thank god The Mandalorian isn't pushing itself as another game of thrones watercooler show and it's just doing its own thing as an adventure of the week SF Western with good production values. It doesn't ask as much of an investment from the audience and it is goddamn refreshing by simply being a fun tv show I can tune into when I feel like it.

this. Marvel worked because it was different enough from each other and it was built up over 10 years and it worked well enough. i am just happy skywalker saga will be done(for now) because i like stuff like the mandalorian and the low key fun tv shows and stuff. it has filled at the state of the univese so much better than the movies have.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Exhausting is an exaggeration but like I’ve said before it’s annoyance of a thousand cuts. Can’t talk about anything being subversive without throwing in a jab about tlj and stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

The Odyssey and Breath of the Wild videos were pretty wild. And not in a good way.

Yeah. I generally think his stuff is "okay" but those two videos are some serious :psyduck: stuff. He has the most unhealthy view of what a reviewer and a review is.

"I can't formulate an opinion on this game unless I do 100% of everything or else I won't see the complete picture."