Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rt4 posted:

Is "culture fit" ever anything besides a bunch of unassessed biases and just bullshit overall? A VP mentioned offhand today that it's an important part of hiring. I was surprised by how uncomfortable I felt on hearing it.

Sure. It’s also “is an rear end in a top hat” “rude to women” etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Alternatively it's "don't be an rear end in a top hat" or "can hold a conversation" or "treats potential coworkers with respect"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It can also mean “I’ll veto their hire if I loving want to because I’m the boss”, but you’ll see that coming.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

It can also mean “I’ll veto their hire if I loving want to because I’m the boss”, but you’ll see that coming.

Hey now, it can also mean, "Do they have a family that they'd want to go home to at the end of the night?"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anything about disrespect to colleagues should be filed under "communication skills" or "professional decorum" which apply to every workplace rather than implying any particular business has a special "culture." The same people who'd reject someone for wearing a suit to an interview may need vague descriptions that don't grind against their "casual" pretenses.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Anyone have experience with Google team match? Approximately how long does it take and how many teams do you talk to?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

rt4 posted:

Is "culture fit" ever anything besides a bunch of unassessed biases and just bullshit overall? A VP mentioned offhand today that it's an important part of hiring. I was surprised by how uncomfortable I felt on hearing it.
I think you hit the nail on the head: "culture fit" is absolutely real, but not qualifying ahead of time what you think your culture is or how you intend to screen for it makes this automatically nonsense

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Anyone have experience with Google team match? Approximately how long does it take and how many teams do you talk to?

It depends on what teams have headcount.

For me it took about a week, I got pitches from two or three teams and I picked the one that sounded more interesting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Folks I know who have offers right now are making it sound like they don't expect to match until after revised headcounts are revealed in the new year.

edit: Actually that's Facebook offers I think, nevermind.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

dantheman650 posted:

Be prepared for openings in specific teams to disappear rapidly if you're too slow moving, only to be replaced by new prospects. The overall offer will remain open for months so don't stress out too hard if you don't see something you like at first.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

It's practically indefinite unless you're extremely specialized and you would probably know that going in. I wouldn't recommend feeling pressured to say yes to the first round, generally 2-4 teams, if you don't feel like any are a good fit.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

I talked to hiring managers about their teams, and then picked one. It took about a week, maybe two.

Importantly, this is the part where you pick, not the managers. It's not a "do they like me." If you're talking to them, they already like you and want you on their team.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Achmed Jones posted:

I talked to hiring managers about their teams, and then picked one. It took about a week, maybe two.

Importantly, this is the part where you pick, not the managers. It's not a "do they like me." If you're talking to them, they already like you and want you on their team.
That's not really accurate; it's a mutual fit assessment, just one that presupposes your baseline technical competence.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ralith posted:

That's not really accurate; it's a mutual fit assessment, just one that presupposes your baseline technical competence.

It will probably depend on the manager. My experience was that they were just pitch calls explaining the projects. I wasn't really asked any questions or anything, it was just "here are the projects with openings, where do you want to go?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ralith posted:

It's accurate for myself and everyone I interact with on the daily, and I was explicitly told this by the recruiter and multiple hiring managers.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'd be very surprised if most managers aren't talking to multiple people over one slot. I know that happened to me. Also had one manager ask semi technical questions which really put a damper on that call when the recruiter prep was that the call was about the project.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 14, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

rt4 posted:

I always felt this is to give teams the illusion of control.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

rt4 posted:

Anything about disrespect to colleagues should be filed under "communication skills" or "professional decorum" which apply to every workplace rather than implying any particular business has a special "culture." The same people who'd reject someone for wearing a suit to an interview may need vague descriptions that don't grind against their "casual" pretenses.

We use it for "will be okay with how our teams work". We generally don't have well written tasks or acceptance criteria, teams change their processes as they see fit, people work very collaboratively and change tasks based on helping the team achieve their goals. Someone who wants stability, well written specs and very defined roles and responsibilities wouldn't "fit" in our "culture", even if they're perfectly professional and qualified and pleasant. I'm not sure what else we would call this?

(We do go into detail about this in interviews, it's something the candidate needs to know as well to make a good decision.)

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

rt4 posted:

I once worked on a team where "culture fit" wasn't an explicit part of the interview process. So they inadvertently hired someone who thought that a good icebreaker with me, token black dude #4 in 2015, was to have an extended, unprompted, 1-sided "conversation" about how the Negro Baseball League revolutionized baseball in America. This was subsequently followed by lots of questions about "where you're from", with the unspoken implication that I was too well-spoken to have been born in the US.

I can't actually tell if this confirms or denies your hypothesis.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

rt4 posted:

Where I am at, the culture fit question comes down to “does the candidate have empathy and respect for others.”

Had candidates who would be a strong hire from a technical perspective, but we get a product manager or QA person on their interview loop and the candidate talks poo poo about their jobs right to their faces.

Or you get into the debrief and find every woman on the loop is voting “hard pass.”

FriedDijaaj posted:

I once worked on a team where "culture fit" wasn't an explicit part of the interview process. So they inadvertently hired someone who thought that a good icebreaker with me, token black dude #4 in 2015, was to have an extended, unprompted, 1-sided "conversation" about how the Negro Baseball League revolutionized baseball in America. This was subsequently followed by lots of questions about "where you're from", with the unspoken implication that I was too well-spoken to have been born in the US.

This would get a candidate walked out early, hopefully before we wasted the money buying them lunch.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

rt4 posted:

Hi old programmer thread!
I imagine "culture fit" will be a catch-all that is useful for anyone recruiting, including "cult" organizations (that expect everyone to fit in the same mold of young, energetic, outgoing, insecure overachievers) to reject people who don't fit their perception of the correct personality/age/gender/social background/family situation, as well as being a nice way for a more reasonable business to reject someone who is otherwise competent but doesn't shower and put on a clean shirt every day. (Yeah, our company culture is "no B.O.")

Destroyenator posted:

We use it for "will be okay with how our teams work". We generally don't have well written tasks or acceptance criteria, teams change their processes as they see fit, people work very collaboratively and change tasks based on helping the team achieve their goals. Someone who wants stability, well written specs and very defined roles and responsibilities wouldn't "fit" in our "culture", even if they're perfectly professional and qualified and pleasant. I'm not sure what else we would call this?

I wouldn't call that a culture, I'd call that lax engineering practices.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hi old programmer thread!
Your culture is what you reward and what you punish.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vulture Culture posted:

Your culture is what you reward and what you punish.

This is the single most important thing to understand about software development. There is no culture; there are only incentives. And the fundamental truth of human behavior is that people act in line with their incentives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Reminds me of how after Uber's self-driving car stuff caused an accident, they claimed they had a "culture of safety" despite having nobody responsible for safety on-site. Culture doesn't just magically happen, it has to be baked into the company's operations. Claiming you have a culture of X (where X can be safety, working hard, not sexually harassing, whatever) without actually doing anything to support and encourage X is basically saying "we will blame you for failing to do X, and wash our hands of it, even if all of your incentives were to not do X."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's really common to switch jobs every 2-3 years in this industry. I've been at my current job for 8 years now and when I talk to recruiters or hiring managers and mention that, it's met with surprise. It may even be perceived as a negative, like staying in the same job means you have no ambition or are complacent.

Christ, I was at my first programming job out of college for like 16 years. I'm at 6 on my current one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Presto posted:

Christ, I was at my first programming job out of college for like 16 years. I'm at 6 on my current one.

It's ok as long as you're showing growth. I was at my last job for 7 years, started as a tech lead ended as a director. On the other hand I'm working on recruiting a former coworker, he's been at the same company for 16 years, as a Sr Engineer for 16 years.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hughlander posted:

It's ok as long as you're showing growth. I was at my last job for 7 years, started as a tech lead ended as a director. On the other hand I'm working on recruiting a former coworker, he's been at the same company for 16 years, as a Sr Engineer for 16 years.

Yeah, I've been a Senior Software Engineer forever. Why would I want to be anything else? :shobon:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Presto posted:

Yeah, I've been a Senior Software Engineer forever. Why would I want to be anything else? :shobon:

Pay brackets? I would expect most large shops have IC titles above senior.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Staff, senior staff, principle etc.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Some people like being leaders and are good at it. Our leads are essentially democratically voted by peers and signed off by management across other teams to make sure the person is properly trained and has the right mentality to succeed in a leadership capacity.

I’ve heard that the best indicator of culture is determined not by the people that are there but by the people that are not there anymore. And given what I’ve known about the people fired or that quit, I don’t want to work with those people at all. Otherwise, working hard for 6+ years at a job and walking away with like $5MM+ in your bank account mostly tax free and can live anywhere in your 30s it’s understandable.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

leper khan posted:

Yes and this is an org they’re at that does have a staff title. As well as throw around lead like candy. There’s probably a lead and a staff for every 2 seniors. I’m not joking. (No more than 4 for sure).

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

leper khan posted:

Everywhere I've worked, the pay is pretty comparable between seniors and above, but the amount of bullshit that comes with an above senior role is soul-crushing. Shoot for the highest compensation with the lowest title.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Everywhere I've worked, the pay is pretty comparable between seniors and above, but the amount of bullshit that comes with an above senior role is soul-crushing. Shoot for the highest compensation with the lowest title.

That hasn’t been my experience mostly because I’ve seen huge variance in the same grade at the same company which I’ve taken to mean better negotiating. The people are the staff/proncipal level tend to be those better negotiators but not always.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

necrobobsledder posted:

Otherwise, working hard for 6+ years at a job and walking away with like $5MM+ in your bank account mostly tax free and can live anywhere in your 30s it’s understandable.

Wait what how do i do this

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Start-up lottery winners exist in the same way lottery winners exist

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

necrobobsledder posted:

Start-up lottery winners exist in the same way lottery winners exist

Buying a lottery ticket is much less effort tho.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's fair, but it's a conscious choice. It's not "we don't know better", it's "this is an acceptable tradeoff for us". Some people aren't looking for that style of work and that's something we need to be aware of when hiring.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
where do i get 5mil in my bank account i would like to have an extra 5mil

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Destroyenator posted:

That's fair, but it's a conscious choice. It's not "we don't know better", it's "this is an acceptable tradeoff for us". Some people aren't looking for that style of work and that's something we need to be aware of when hiring.

How long have you been in business? Do you expect such a "culture" can prevail long-term, or will there be pain once the company grows to the point that it has to enforce stricter practices?
I'm genuinely curious if this would be possible beyond, say, 300 engineers, because it sure sounds like the more fun way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hell, I'll settle for a mere $4M