Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

... I got VD from the Oculus store yesterday, and somehow the visual quality looked better to me compared to the Quest Link, desktop version? ...

Yes VD looks a little better than Oculus Link (beta) for now. I had issues with the latency on VD but not link but haven't optimized my router yet. Everyone has different sensitivity to the latency so only you'll know if you like it. Wireless is really great however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Does anyone have the Espire 1 game? It seemed a potentially cool game at release but I heard it was pretty buggy. But it seems they have released a few patches already, improving the AI and whatnot.

edit:

Oh yeah, the new update notes of Beat Saber:

Green Day Music Pack is here! It features six of the band's most iconic hits & new singles.

This update also comes with:
- Brand new 360 and 90 Degree Levels.
- Adaptive SFX volume.
- Automatic player height detection.
- UI improvements.
- Graphics improvements.
- Various tweaks and fixes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh wow. Retrofit VR games usually suck but it looks like he got input properly hacked in instead of a fake mouse

poo poo I want this

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Does anyone have the Espire 1 game? It seemed a potentially cool game at release but I heard it was pretty buggy. But it seems they have released a few patches already, improving the AI and whatnot.

edit:

Oh yeah, the new update notes of Beat Saber:

Green Day Music Pack is here! It features six of the band's most iconic hits & new singles.

This update also comes with:
- Brand new 360 and 90 Degree Levels.
- Adaptive SFX volume.
- Automatic player height detection.
- UI improvements.
- Graphics improvements.
- Various tweaks and fixes.

*Note, I paid nothing to play it, I pay nothing for most games so some freebie bias sometimes*

Its neat. I like it as a stealth game. The shooting is super poo poo with anything beyond the tranq gun IMO but i've had some fun with it.
I would NOT pay full price for it though I don't think. Not with boneworks out. Sale, Viveport Infinity, Sure, Def check it out. It IS fun its just, kinda janky in places.

360, IMO is meh. Feels so forced.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

*Note, I paid nothing to play it, I pay nothing for most games so some freebie bias sometimes*

Its neat. I like it as a stealth game. The shooting is super poo poo with anything beyond the tranq gun IMO but i've had some fun with it.
I would NOT pay full price for it though I don't think. Not with boneworks out. Sale, Viveport Infinity, Sure, Def check it out. It IS fun its just, kinda janky in places.

360, IMO is meh. Feels so forced.

Turning off virtual stock totally fixed shooting for me. I actually had a lot of fun with the game but whelp I’m a boneworks streamer now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

but whelp I’m a boneworks streamer now.

Basically this.

Good to know about the virtual stock. It felt so hecking weird in general though.

You know me, I've always been a whore for pistols >_<

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

That Italian Guy posted:

One of my favourite games on VR so far has been I Expect You to Die...are there any more puzzle games that are somewhat similar to that on Quest? Something like old time "adventure games" ala Mist or even Zero Escape would probably be awesome with VR interaction.

I haven't played I Expect You to Die yet, so take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt. But I would look into Red Matter and Shadow Point . Not the hardest puzzles in either, but they were fun experiences.

And I haven't played it, but I think Time Stall is in the same ballpark.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Basically this.

Good to know about the virtual stock. It felt so hecking weird in general though.

You know me, I've always been a whore for pistols >_<

The virtual stock caused some weird nonlinear movement when trying to angle the rifle around. Turning it off made it feel fine, I even used my protube and went HAM mowing everyone down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I assume this is NOT just supposed to be a 3 second video of a dude shooting a guy once and laughing?

Edit: I found the part in the full video and that was great

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 13, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GlyphGryph posted:

I assume this is NOT just supposed to be a 3 second video of a dude shooting a guy once and laughing?

Edit: I found the part in the full video and that was great

Anyone else with issues, scrub back to the start and refresh. Twitch is being weird af. I had it lock on me, then jump to the end too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
3D puzzle box games like the mobile series The Room would be cool in VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That Italian Guy posted:

One of my favourite games on VR so far has been I Expect You to Die...are there any more puzzle games that are somewhat similar to that on Quest? Something like old time "adventure games" ala Mist or even Zero Escape would probably be awesome with VR interaction.

Its PC only, but if you're using link or VD anyways, you can check out 'Obduction'. Its very much a spiritual successor to Myst, made by the same people, and is a pretty great adventure game where none of the puzzles really ever felt like the dumb poo poo back in the day where out of nowhere you just have to solve a sliding block puzzle. They all feet well integrated to solving your adventure.

One thing to be wary of, if you PC is on the low side of recommended specs it might not run well, its a bit notorious for taking some oompf to run well.

Another to check out is 'Wilson's Heart'. Its also PC only, and it has its issues and the puzzles are really childs play, but its got a great atmosphere and its been on sale often enough.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll wait and see if anything goes on sale during the holidays.

Regarding VD: I'm in this weird limbo where I requested a refund cause after the realization that it wouldn't work to launch PCVR games, but before discovering that sideloading was possible...so my app is unavailable until refunded. Do you guys know if Virtual Desktop for Quest goes on sale, usually?

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Finally was able to vault in boneworks. I had to make myself 4 inches shorter in the menu. Getting that ballon gun in the street level was stressful. I still have not found a reason to not just use the glock. It seems to bring folk down with less ammo than the rifle.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is it worth waiting to get the index controllers next month sometime or should I just play Boneworks now

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

is it worth waiting to get the index controllers next month sometime or should I just play Boneworks now

Depends. If you have vive wands I cannot imagine playing it.

If you have touch controllers, it'll probably play pretty well.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wands. I'll wait then, thanks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

wands. I'll wait then, thanks.

If the grips we're better, I think it would be ok. But the climbing and stuff would be so frustrating IMO with wands. Then again if you're used to them it might be ok? I'm a wand hater though, just can't stand the grips.

I mean its worth grabbing and trying worst case refund it. But eh.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind the grips, in fact for things like Superhot I like the option where you need to keep the grips held at all times. But it seems like there's enough going on with the index functionality that I may as well wait until Jan then I've got a fun showcase for my new toys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow. Retrofit VR games usually suck but it looks like he got input properly hacked in instead of a fake mouse

poo poo I want this

This is the same guy who did Alien Isolation VR, which is like the high water mark of 2D to VR conversions, I’m guessing this will be pretty great

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is the same guy who did Alien Isolation VR, which is like the high water mark of 2D to VR conversions, I’m guessing this will be pretty great

Did the Alien Isolation VR mod actually get good? The last time I tried it the view would get tilted constantly and it was very sickening.

The Half-Life 2 VR mod back in the day on the DK1 with Razer Hydras is still my favorite fan-made VR conversion. Really wish the team would just go ahead and release a new version compatible with current headsets instead of spending endless years tweaking everything in the game to make it perfect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was playing Pistol Whip for good part of the evening, and while fun, it screams 'the sequel is where the game will shine'.

-I want to reload the weapon with the dead hand, so it feels more active.
-I want civilians/targets to avoid shooting.
-I want a pair more of enemy types. Maybe someone with a uzi able to do bursts, maybe another enemy that throws grenades that you can blow up in the air/redirect shooting them.
-I want alternating paths to choose in specific points, like in some light gun games.
-While the game has different scenarios, they feel very same-y, with just different decoration. Maybe they could do something like an airport assault, with planets taking off, or a bank heist, going through rooms and vaults.
-More weapons, obviously. Maybe a shotgun to blast enemies with prejudices.
-More optional modifiers, like random enemies (it would screw the music rhythm part of the game, I know, hence as an optional thing) would be nice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Superhot VR makes me angry because it was such a good fit and the first half of the game is awesome, or however long until it begins to rely on its jank rear end implementation of throwing

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Link works now after switching to public test channel to get v12 on the pc app. Elite Dangerous blew me away! Link keeps freezing after about 5 minutes so I don't know what in the chain of things is causing it, so hopefully I'll get that working to go on to do more things. I wish this cable situation wasn't so fussy.

And I'm absolutely loving Moss. It's a really interesting experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Superhot VR makes me angry because it was such a good fit and the first half of the game is awesome, or however long until it begins to rely on its jank rear end implementation of throwing

It was pure serendipity how well the concept of 'time moves when you move' works in VR, as it turns in a minigame of trying to freeze/move sloowly in RL in some parts while at the same time you hands try to reach some new weapons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Throwing in that game is weird as gently caress but you get used to it eventually. Main thing is winding up and arcing stuff doesn't really work, you just want to kind of shove it away from you in a straight line. Its like VR shuffleboard

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Unlucky7 posted:

I played it on PSVR with the move controllers and it really sucked. The trick was to tabletop shuffleboard things at people.

Are there more levels or DLC for it or can I ignore it on PC if I already played through on PSVR?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I struggled with throwing until I sold my vive kit to a friend as an excuse to get the index and immediately became good with the index controllers at it, it's absolutely crazy the difference lmao

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The only thing Superhot VR has outside of the campaign is "the campaign again, with restrictions" and endless mode.

I loved the campaign, but did not find myself compelled to play those other offerings.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

Shadow Point is the only Quest native game similar to what you're talking about. With link Obduction as others have said, also amazing on PCVR Talos Principle, which will go on deep sale shortly. Along with all of the other excellent Cotream titles.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tip posted:

Did the Alien Isolation VR mod actually get good? The last time I tried it the view would get tilted constantly and it was very sickening.

Yes, it's basically perfect. With the addition of the option to remove the screen blacking out if your head intersects geometry I had no real issues playing through it. You still have to use a controller (or keyboard and mouse I guess) but you can use your Touch controllers as controllers now. No hand tracking but there would have to be a whole lot overhauled to get the throwables and stuff working with hand tracking.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thoom posted:

The only thing Superhot VR has outside of the campaign is "the campaign again, with restrictions" and endless mode.

I loved the campaign, but did not find myself compelled to play those other offerings.

IMO endless mode is the true Superhot. I wish desperately there were more levels. I have played through the campaign once but have probably 10 hours in endless.

I`ve got some decent throws here, I don`t use the shuffleboard technique, I prefer more of like a dart throw motion. but yeah the basic principle is it needs to be a straight line push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWqQUz0xAAQ&t=190s

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 13, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was basically pushing things towards enemies to throw. Even then I still had a tendency to misfire or miss completely. I will try those other techniques next time I play.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Turin Turambar posted:

I was playing Pistol Whip for good part of the evening, and while fun, it screams 'the sequel is where the game will shine'.

-I want a pair more of enemy types. Maybe someone with a uzi able to do bursts, maybe another enemy that throws grenades that you can blow up in the air/redirect shooting them.
-I want alternating paths to choose in specific points, like in some light gun games.
-While the game has different scenarios, they feel very same-y, with just different decoration. Maybe they could do something like an airport assault, with planets taking off, or a bank heist, going through rooms and vaults.
-More optional modifiers, like random enemies (it would screw the music rhythm part of the game, I know, hence as an optional thing) would be nice.

Pistol Whip is a cool idea implemented really poorly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tip posted:

The Half-Life 2 VR mod back in the day on the DK1 with Razer Hydras is still my favorite fan-made VR conversion. Really wish the team would just go ahead and release a new version compatible with current headsets instead of spending endless years tweaking everything in the game to make it perfect.

Dude loving tell me about it. I played HL2 with Hydras loving SIX YEARS AGO and I have a vastly, VASTLY superior Index now but there's no way to play HL2 in VR???

So loving lame.

Valve should also update their own implementation of HL2 VR and make it better based on what they've learned, although Alyx makes me think they won't ever bother and they think VR should just be designed from the ground up for VR. Which, yeah, Alyx is gonna be better than HL2 VR mod would be, but considering we're starved for high quality content in VR, I would kill for HL2 VR warts and all.

(The default HL2 VR sucked balls though, the fan-mod HL2VR was way better. But there's no reason Valve couldn't do better if they really tried)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Play Crisis Vrigade and you'll realize that you REALLY don't want most of those things in a rhythm game

If you want those things, Play Crisis Vrigade or Payday 2 VR. They both do those things amazingly well. Pistol Whip just isn't that game.

You're literally saying "I wish Pistol Whip was Crisis Vrigade" dude...

Skyarb posted:

Pistol Whip is a cool idea implemented really poorly.

Jesus Christ

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Here we go again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rolo posted:

3D puzzle box games like the mobile series The Room would be cool in VR.

The Room is both on Steam and making a new VR iteration.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
RIP, got one of them emails saying my Index isn't being shipped until January despite when I ordered the page only said it wasn't guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas. This sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Room is both on Steam and making a new VR iteration.

That’s really neat!

They need a second screen in the game so I can play a movie while dicking with a giant puzzle box. I’d disappear for days.