Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You will believe a birdie can fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"Squash had its chance"

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Sucker Punch, but instead of the anime stuff it cuts to a series of intense badminton matches.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can't wait for Lee [Chong Wei] v Lin [Dan].

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are there any famous Marthas in badminton

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snyder just posted this with the caption “My Superman”

Here are a bunch of questions and Snyder’s replies to them about the black suit.

Here he’s confirming that Superman was supposed to wear the suit for the entire film.

This was my favorite

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

Absolutely wild.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But would he have had a mullet?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

They would have had to CG one on, thanks Paramount

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

sigh...

Violator
May 15, 2003

McSpanky posted:

They would have had to CG one on, thanks Paramount

Didn't Snyder say the long hair and beard was going to be in the next film? So that whole thing wouldn't have been an issue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would be amazing if he followed up with that reveal with "Vote Labour".

Violator
May 15, 2003

It was my understanding that the three film arc was scrapped and even the Snyder cut was only meant to lead to two films: Steppenwolf and then Darkseid. Is he referencing his original plans or his WB mandated updated plans for JL that he did indeed film?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Violator posted:

It was my understanding that the three film arc was scrapped and even the Snyder cut was only meant to lead to two films: Steppenwolf and then Darkseid. Is he referencing his original plans or his WB mandated updated plans for JL that he did indeed film?
I think it's a bit of both. In some answers he's obviously referring to the theatrical release but then in others he talks about plans for JL 2 and JL 3.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta respect the fact that Snyder clearly wanted characters that didn't act like their "paragon" selves, you could see flashes of it through the movies but they were always growing and changing and moving closer to their ideal but once they actually got there - the series was over. Superman being the big one, but also Batman going Cheney and Wonder Woman coming back after a long absence.

Also Snyder's ideal Batman's is being dead and an inspiration for Superman. LOL

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Violator posted:

I thought that this changed super rapidly too. Like it was supposed to be 3 parts at least until the production of BvS started, and then was a 2 parter and I feel like it only got knocked down to 1 part post-BvS when they started getting panicked by some of the reactions. Remember, MoS was 2013 and then the gap between BvS and JL was barely 2 years and that's with the massive reshooting and completely overhauling the movie.

Snyder went from having 3 movies, to 2, to 1, then to 0 in like two and a half years :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Snyder is too good for superhero movies. Unfortunately, no one is going to give him the budget he needs to direct something worthy of his skills, like The Incal.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's also cool that Superman being dead inspires Batman to be better.

Basically, it was nice to see superhero movies where the characters were flawed, and not flawed in the sense of (oh, I'm so quirky despite having all the power and resources in the world). Superman was clearly uncomfortable with the amount of power he had and how it inspired people to treat him (I always go back to how uncomfortable he looks when all the people from the Dia de los Muertos celebration are reaching out to him). Batman was jaded and beat to poo poo by life (losing Harvey, losing Jason Todd, losing his hope). Wonder Woman was done with humanity after seeing how quickly it would forget the horrors of war and jump right into a new killing spree.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought that this changed super rapidly too. Like it was supposed to be 3 parts at least until the production of BvS started, and then was a 2 parter and I feel like it only got knocked down to 1 part post-BvS when they started getting panicked by some of the reactions. Remember, MoS was 2013 and then the gap between BvS and JL was barely 2 years and that's with the massive reshooting and completely overhauling the movie.

Snyder went from having 3 movies, to 2, to 1, then to 0 in like two and a half years :smith:

Remember that BvS got a standing ovation from WB execs, so I think it was 3 parts until BvS was released and then they cut it down to 2 films and forcing him to take out the evil Superman plot when they panicked. That’s also when they rewrote Suicide Squad to take out the mother boxes and alien invasion and had to piece something together last minute. Then they also slashed that movie to pieces even after it was filmed to try to get a fun tone.

I think JL only turned into a single film once Whedon took over and edited it all together to be self contained.

Edit: I think this is the timeline: JL is planned to be 3 movies during BvS production. BvS is released and WB panics, cuts JL down to 2 films with the script reworked. Snyder shows his first JL cut to WB, they freak out again, JL is turned into a single film and Whedon takes over.

Violator fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 12, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Didnt they also start production of JL before BvS was even released? So it was the beginning of production when they were forced to rewrite after freaking out over BvS.

I get the critical and vocal social media backlash against BvS threw WB for a loop, but Ill never understand why they panicked over an $870mil gross. Zack had hardly lost them any money. I know everyone expects that sweet 1bil mark with an IP that known, but it still made more than WW, Suicide Squad and MoS. The Snyderverse at that point wasnt even close to seeing diminishing returns.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WB wanted to go fishing for that RT fresh score. Zack Was like, "gently caress fishing, we should play badminton you stupid fucks!"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

I get the critical and vocal social media backlash against BvS threw WB for a loop, but Ill never understand why they panicked over an $870mil gross. Zack had hardly lost them any money. I know everyone expects that sweet 1bil mark with an IP that known, but it still made more than WW, Suicide Squad and MoS. The Snyderverse at that point wasnt even close to seeing diminishing returns.
I don’t know where it started, but a common line I hear is “A movie with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman should easily be in the top 3 grossing movies of all time.”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don’t know where it started, but a common line I hear is “A movie with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman should easily be in the top 3 grossing movies of all time.”

2 of these characters have repeatedly been in movies that bombed. Wonder Woman was in a tv show that didn't make much of an impact beyond showcasing Lynda Carter. The idea that they are guaranteed money-makers that only a simpleton could screw up is simply disproved by reality.

Also, just a reminder that after BvS WB literally brought a bunch of the biggest online haters to tour the JL set and try to convince them that it was going to be a light and fun movie full of jokes, which led to a great (since-deleted) tweet.

https://twitter.com/CloutChaserN1/status/1200742931663130629

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

2 of these characters have repeatedly been in movies that bombed. Wonder Woman was in a tv show that didn't make much of an impact beyond showcasing Linda Carter. The idea that they are guaranteed money-makers that only a simpleton could screw up is simply disproved by reality.

Also, just a reminder that after BvS WB literally brought a bunch of the biggest online haters to tour the JL set and try to convince them that it was going to be a light and fun movie full of jokes, which led to a great (since-deleted) tweet.

Superman and Batman were in movies that bombed before but Wonder Woman was never in a movie until BvS

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I changed my quote. luckily before you quoted it! Now you look like a fool! My Lex-Luthorian plan worked

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's just artificially setting the bar high so that they look like bigger failures when they fail to clear it. It was only the second movie in this series and grossed more than its previous movie, they should have been fine to let things build. That's exactly what Marvel did, they let things start off relatively smaller and build up until they cracked the billion mark with Avengers. Any stumbling block (like Incredible Hulk underperforming or Captain America performing weaker overseas) was correctly factored in as growing pains while they continued to build a vision.

The idea that Superman and Batman are guaranteed box office gold is laughable. Superman Returns was a barely decade old failure when BvS came out, and a Batman movie almost single handedly killed the superhero genre on film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

2 of these characters have repeatedly been in movies that bombed. Wonder Woman was in a tv show that didn't make much of an impact beyond showcasing Lynda Carter. The idea that they are guaranteed money-makers that only a simpleton could screw up is simply disproved by reality.

Who’s that in the pic?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Devin "the lying buddhist feminist groper" Faraci

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well why'd he delete it, that's a good thing to wish

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Larry Fong isn't a nazi, so you can't wish violence or death or dox people without getting banned or suspended on Twitter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Faraci had not yet been exposed as a sexual assaulter and in fact was still well-respected amongst film bloggers despite 97% of his scoops being entirely wrong.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The website seems to be down at the moment, but this was a critic blasting Faraci for being both an rear end in a top hat and an incompetent journalist... in 2010.

http://www.edrants.com/why-devin-faraci-is-unfit-to-practice-journalism/

And again, a reminder that less than a year after firing him for multiple sexual assaults on women, Alamo hired him back using the excuse that his work was so good (in this case, writing blurbs for movies on a schedule) no one else could do it.

Just goes to show if you're a white guy with a beard who says the right things you will succeed no matter what you actually do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chairman Capone posted:

And again, a reminder that less than a year after firing him for multiple sexual assaults on women, Alamo hired him back using the excuse that his work was so good (in this case, writing blurbs for movies on a schedule) no one else could do it.

Devin Faraci posted:

Report From The Set: GREEN LANTERN Could Be The Most Cosmic Superhero Movie Ever

What are you expecting from the big screen version of GREEN LANTERN? Whatever they are, your expectations may be too small. A visit to the film’s set in New Orleans reveals a movie whose scope is so big it spans from the West Coast of the US to a planet at the center of the galaxy, and the thousands of alien cops who call it home. GREEN LANTERN could be the big, cosmic superhero movie we’ve been waiting for.
I don't think I could write like that for a living. At least not without wearing earplugs to keep my brain from dripping out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can still get the google cache of that article that's down, btw. Fair warning: there's a really crass example that makes a rape analogy in the article text itself.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 12, 2019

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Snyder just posted this with the caption “My Superman”

All the Superman scenes were shot with him wearing the blue suit (even before Joss came on board), so when Zack talks about "his" Justice League, it seems like he's talking about a version of the movie that wasn't even filmed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Robot Style posted:

All the Superman scenes were shot with him wearing the blue suit (even before Joss came on board), so when Zack talks about "his" Justice League, it seems like he's talking about a version of the movie that wasn't even filmed.

Hey, are you okay? If you can’t respond I understand, but there’s that news story about a VFX studio that worked on Detective Pikachu shutting down.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

Yeah seems like. Wagner also kind of confirmed this during an interview a few years back when he said that they did have some shots of Cavill in the black suit that he oversaw, but he explained that he wasn't sure if they were screen tests or part of a few scenes of some sort.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CRYYYYYY LITTLE SISTER

Same.
I think Fong also tweeted some great stuff about how stupid that "What If Man of Steel Was in Color" thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/WarnerBrosUK/status/1205504790005977089?s=20