Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Aerith definitely knows how to fashion a shiv and is not afraid to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
She grew up in the slums of a miserable pizza techno city. That bo staff? actually got a spear hidden inside.

Which she keeps rusty. On purpose.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
She should've chose Red XIII over Cloud. I think Hojo was right on that one.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Red XIII is probably a very generous lover. Also lmao that trailer is so bad.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I haven't been this hyped about FF7 since FF7

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Red XIII is a teenager, he doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing.

FF7 is a cast of very greedy lovers. I don't think there's a generous lover in the bunch.

e: Now I'm struggling to think of any generous lovers in the entire series. Red XIII could win by default.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

FF7 is a cast of very greedy lovers. I don't think there's a generous lover in the bunch.

The greediest lover of all... is the player.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

zenguitarman posted:

I haven't been this hyped about FF7 since FF7

I remember we got a PSX just to play FF7 and we didn't realize it would require a memory card (since SNES games didn't) so we had to leave the game on overnight and then all day before we could back to the store.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

e: Now I'm struggling to think of any generous lovers in the entire series. Red XIII could win by default.

Ironic twist: sephiroth pre finding out he was a clone loved everyone with passion and intensity

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Fang and Vanille

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Snow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

Everyone in 13 except lightning who is a one pump chump.

Also we all know that its canon that Steiner lays on the most elite pipe.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Clarste posted:

I remember we got a PSX just to play FF7 and we didn't realize it would require a memory card (since SNES games didn't) so we had to leave the game on overnight and then all day before we could back to the store.

When I first got it, I played the entire Midgar section about 10 times without a memory card before finally beating it. It was only once leaving Midgar and seeing it was just a dot on the world map that I thought, "Ok time to get a memory card."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

ff9 cid is a very generous lover

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aerith and Tifa together with no Cloud.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aerith and Tifa together with no Cloud.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

at the very least red xiii is pretty much the only good dad in the series

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Snow 100% is not but will loudly proclaim that he is to everyone within earshot to cope with his own feelings of inadequacy

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

you know what FF game is great that no one talks about? World of Final Fantasy. it's terrific, everyone should play it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

you know what FF game is great that no one talks about? World of Final Fantasy. it's terrific, everyone should play it.

I play an hour every few months or so before going back to a better game.

Like Romancing SaGa 3.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I want to like World of FF but everything about that game is just so painfully slow

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm happy to present the 2019 Elentor Awards to FF nice folks and sacrificial lambs, I'll try to judge all of them fairly, and in order of release-ish:

The Good:
Poor fuckers who didn't get credit: Those FFI motherfuckers.
Game that really should be better commended for having a female cast that isn't Charlie's Angels: FFV. The sacrificial lamb in FFV gives us something that I think people don't give credit for, a JRPG cast that becomes mostly-female that isn't a gimmick, in Japan, in the early 90s.
The Farnese award for really guilty character trying to get redemption: FFVI
The Runner-up: FFIV
Nicest main protagonists: FFX
Nice person who waited the least amount of time to die: FFXII
Nicest screwed up people per capita who take their lovely fate pretty well: FFXIII-1
Best music theme for a character-who-dies: FFXIV

The Bad:
Most retconned to be the boringest holier-than-thou power metal concept album generic main character: FFI.
Biggest practical assholes: FFVII, with Cid raising the douchebag per capita pretty high and the bar is not low.
Biggest theoretical assholes: FFVIII but really at least I think a bunch of high on hormones teenage military slaves warrant being grumpy.

The Ugly:
Can't even be the most anemic in this regard: FFII
Most Anemic FF in this regard: FFIII.
People who really cheated the whole death thing en masse: FFIX.
The game that really wants to go against this list: FFX-2.
People who really should have left: Vaan and Penelo from FFXII.
The award for most spoiled spoiler after Aeris: FFT
The award for any-comment-on-it-is-a-spoiler: FFXV

And the Villain Awards go to:
Most selfish villain: FFIX. I mean, that's his entire shtick.
Most confused about her motivations: FFVIII.
Most misunderstood secondary villains: The Warriors of Darkness in FFXIV. That name is not good PR.
Most convinced he's a puppeteer mastermind: Sydney Losstarot from FF: VS
Best evil laugh: Not necessarily from villains, but either way FFXI and FFVI tie up for me.

Jecht receives 11/10 dad of the year for the umpteenth year in a row.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 14, 2019

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

World of FF is a great game if you're there for all the fan service (I am), and it was probably my favourite game that year over FFXV, though I loved both for different reasons. it had some bs minigames, but you didn't really have to engage with them unless you wanted to go for the plat like me.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Veib posted:

I want to like World of FF but everything about that game is just so painfully slow

It does have a fast-forward button, R1(2?) / R. Unless you're already using it. Then :shrug:.

I gotta say I really enjoyed WoFF way more than I thought I would. Spoilers maybe? I really enjoyed how drat bleak the story ends up being. Also Tony Amendola is really satisfying to listen to.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 14, 2019

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

at the very least red xiii is pretty much the only good dad in the series

Sahz??????

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rueban

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Dad of Light...not a particularly good dad

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

morallyobjected posted:

Snow 100% is not but will loudly proclaim that he is to everyone within earshot to cope with his own feelings of inadequacy

dude has a nice coat too, has become my defacto 'what the hell do I need' for my 14 crafter classes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Elentor posted:

I'm happy to present the 2019 Elentor Awards to FF nice folks and sacrificial lambs, I'll try to judge all of them fairly, and in order of release-ish:

The Good:
Poor fuckers who didn't get credit: Those FFI motherfuckers.
Game that really should be better commended for having a female cast that isn't Charlie's Angels: FFV. The sacrificial lamb in FFV gives us something that I think people don't give credit for, a JRPG cast that becomes mostly-female that isn't a gimmick, in Japan, in the early 90s.
The Farnese award for really guilty character trying to get redemption: FFVI
The Runner-up: FFIV
Nicest main protagonists: FFX
Nice person who waited the least amount of time to die: FFXII
Nicest screwed up people per capita who take their lovely fate pretty well: FFXIII-1
Best music theme for a character-who-dies: FFXIV

The Bad:
Most retconned to be the boringest holier-than-thou power metal concept album generic main character: FFI.
Biggest practical assholes: FFVII, with Cid raising the douchebag per capita pretty high and the bar is not low.
Biggest theoretical assholes: FFVIII but really at least I think a bunch of high on hormones teenage military slaves warrant being grumpy.

The Ugly:
Can't even be the most anemic in this regard: FFII
Most Anemic FF in this regard: FFIII.
People who really cheated the whole death thing en masse: FFIX.
The game that really wants to go against this list: FFX-2.
People who really should have left: Vaan and Penelo from FFXII.
The award for most spoiled spoiler after Aeris: FFT
The award for any-comment-on-it-is-a-spoiler: FFXV

And the Villain Awards go to:
Most selfish villain: FFIX. I mean, that's his entire shtick.
Most confused about her motivations: FFVIII.
Most misunderstood secondary villains: The Warriors of Darkness in FFXIV. That name is not good PR.
Most convinced he's a puppeteer mastermind: Sydney Losstarot from FF: VS
Best evil laugh: Not necessarily from villains, but either way FFXI and FFVI tie up for me.

Jecht receives 11/10 dad of the year for the umpteenth year in a row.

No love for Emperor Mateus, who took over Hell after dying?

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Elentor posted:

Woah now, Big Daddy Sadtree at least gets a nomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2K4GjdtkEk

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey, he took over heaven too!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

The post was too long by the time I got to villains and honestly I ended up removing half of it out of politeness.

Free Drinks posted:

Woah now, Big Daddy Sadtree at least gets a nomination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2K4GjdtkEk

In retrospective I should have included some nomination for Tidus as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best Villain is (FFXIV:Shadowbringers) Emet-Selch, who is truly one of the best antagonists in video games, and certainly the best in Final Fantasy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hey, he took over heaven too!

Even better!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Shantotto is a villain that just happens to be on your side.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not gonna give the awards but I'm gonna give sorest loser nominees:

Garland
Mateus
Adel
Kuja
Yu Yevon

I think Adel deserves a commendation for being in this list even though she's not even the fake main villain of her game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm still really enjoying FFX-2 but holy poo poo there are so many dress spheres and they all learn abilities so slow!

Is there any way to learn abilities faster? I just got Samurai and Trainer and I think one other (edit: Berzerker) and haven't even touched them because Paine is still trying to master Dark Knight and Warrior, Rikku is working on Lady Luck and Thief, and Yuna has only mastered White Mage and is currently working on Black Mage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm still really enjoying FFX-2 but holy poo poo there are so many dress spheres and they all learn abilities so slow!

Is there any way to learn abilities faster? I just got Samurai and Trainer and I think one other (edit: Berzerker) and haven't even touched them because Paine is still trying to master Dark Knight and Warrior, Rikku is working on Lady Luck and Thief, and Yuna has only mastered White Mage and is currently working on Black Mage.

Just get the good abilities

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I like the villain that’s a giant tree that some ancient heroes stuffed a bunch of evil souls into.

My favorite villain though is the judge that dressed Luso, which is probably Marche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Make a character a dancer who spams darkness dance, a warrior who spams sentinel and a white mage who spams pray. Hit x forever.