Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's great. Obviously influenced by Studio 60 but not nearly as feel good. Reese and Crudup are destroying. Reese in particular. I keep having to remind myself that it is really her. It is very #metoo focused and has done a very good job of showing different sides to the topic.

Aniston will always be Rachel but she is clearly trying so that is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waltzing Along posted:

It's great. Obviously influenced by Studio 60 but not nearly as feel good. Reese and Crudup are destroying. Reese in particular. I keep having to remind myself that it is really her. It is very #metoo focused and has done a very good job of showing different sides to the topic.

Aniston will always be Rachel but she is clearly trying so that is good.

I like that I don't really know where Crudup's character is going.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think he has eyes on the CEOs job. But he isn't going to get there by being lovely. Hence the comment about Duplass moral compass.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Definitely sold on Servant. I look forward to seeing where they take it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just an fyi that as well as Servant debuting today, the new eps of Morning Show and For All Mankind are also up a day early for I assume Thanksgiving reasons.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 28, 2019

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Smoked a lot of weed and plowed thru 5 episodes of Dickinson. I am amazed, impressed, and disgusted at the same time. Like wow, wtf, and I actually was an English major.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The latest Morning Show ep was atrocious. It was like they never wrote a second draft of the script. All these drawn-out, really far too long emotional scenes where characters are just flatly saying "When you do X it makes me feel Y." It felt exactly like those acting class exercises where actors are supposed to improvise dialogue illustrating the subtext of their scene.

It's fascinating how this show is making so many of the exact same mistakes Smash did. In the first season, I don't know a character well enough to care if they're getting divorced.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This episode of For All Mankind was crazy. It's kind of slow for the whole episode and then a whole bunch of stuff happens right at the end.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's been two episodes and I still don't know what to make of Servant but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

This episode of For All Mankind was crazy. It's kind of slow for the whole episode and then a whole bunch of stuff happens right at the end.

It's a very weirdly paced show, but man I'm really into it. Can't say it feels similar to any other show in recent memory, it reminds me more of something that would come out in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Makes sense as that was when RDM had his biggest shows.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Idk lots of horny moms out there.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a very weirdly paced show, but man I'm really into it. Can't say it feels similar to any other show in recent memory, it reminds me more of something that would come out in the late 90s/early 2000s.

If this show has been made back then it would have been a summer replacement on Fox that gets cancelled after 5 episodes having only aired three of them. I'm really happy that they're getting a second season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This week’s Morning Show is the best episode so far. Some really powerful scenes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's interesting how everyone enables Mitch to the point where he is completely oblivious to his actions. He genuinely was unaware he had done anything inappropriate. hosed up. The rape scene was just bizarre.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I spent the entire time thinking "what the gently caress is happening, why is this happening?" Which I guess is what she was thinking as well. So I'm guessing the favor Mitch is asking her to do is to bring to light that the network swept him raping her under the rug by just promoting her?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Servant is loving nuts and the first time we meet the baby just.. wtf.

Glad I found this thread.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For All Mankind continues to get darker.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It gets that way in space

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've never had a show make me feel as anxious as I did when Gordo wanted to take his helmet off on the moon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

I've never had a show make me feel as anxious as I did when Gordo wanted to take his helmet off on the moon.

Are you sure that wasn't his confidence?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Jesus that last episode of For All Mankind was like an hour-long gutpunch.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Things are going great in space

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The gut punching does not stop this episode either, good lord.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Servant had a really interesting episode this week. It showed things from the nanny’s POV and kind of made you feel bad for her / showed what privileged fucks the main couple are.

Also there was one Morning Show reveal that I thought was really powerful but I’m also not sure if Aniston was meant to be making it up or not? If that’s the case that’s kinda weird and problematic idk

For All Mankind next

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Twerkdad posted:

The gut punching does not stop this episode either, good lord.

Considering that there is only one more episode left in season one, I'm guessing that Ed, being a relatively generic main protagonist, didn't actually murder the cosmonaut that came looking for help. More likely he doesn't trust him after the earlier tense encounter with the hammer and wants him unconscious (to tie him up without risk, maybe), rather than letting him into the base while he himself has no backup.

Or maybe the events of the previous episode actually made him snap completely, and season two begins with his murder trial!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that was a really good episode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy loving poo poo that For All Mankind Episode. Insane how the one guy is totally vaporized by the J-2's exhaust plume and that wasn't even acknowledged by anyone. Though, I am guessing it will serve a purpose later to open up a seat on 24 for Ed when they decide to cliffhanger cancel the whole program until season 2. They will get 24 back on course (seems obvious, the S-IVB ends up with extra fuel that was used to either send it into solar orbit or crash into the moon), and then pick up Ed. Something will happen to deal with the fall-out of him attempting to murder the Russian. I'm guessing the end of the episode will be a congressional hearing about whether they really need a moon base if the human cost and threat of war with Russia is so high.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
For All Mankind does tension really well, my heart was actually racing. As far as I can tell the dude who got vaporized was the Asian dude which leaves Deke as the guy still hanging on for dear life. That'd be one hell of a ride. As for Ed, I don't see why he can't just suit the guy back up and chuck him down the crater. It's not inconceivable that the guy's spying mission went tragically awry.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
TMS: drama drama drama and back stabbing. I think Cory and Bradley are the only likable characters on the show. And Yanko. Poor Yanko.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

Holy loving poo poo that For All Mankind Episode.

Yeah right when I was about to bounce off, that was a loving tense 20 minutes.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

For All Mankind honestly deserves its own thread. I didn't even notice this one on my first pass searching for the show a while back!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Anyone who's ever played Kerbal Space Program and had their meticulously constructed interplanetary ship ripped apart by accidentally hitting spacebar while the throttles are still open can 100% relate to that episode.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
For All Mankind really established itself with the Apollo 11 landing right in the first episode. Once you realize clearly that this isn't a real historical space docudrama and you don't know how something is gonna turn out in the end, it gets real tense. And after that it ratchets up into knuckle-biting Apollo 13 situations and poo poo only as they were live instead of as comfortable history.

It's also great how it is uniformly an American view of the space program. I mean, I'd love to see the other side of what the Soviets are doing in all this but having them as a distant secretive other really drives home the whole Cold War atmosphere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is very obviously an alternate history where things happened differently, but that doesn't stop space youtubers from getting up in arms about how something just isn't possible and they are freaking out that maybe people will think it was possible for the Russians to get to the moon. But the truth is that regular viewers don't give a poo poo if things are drastically different or not possible with the technology of the time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

It is very obviously an alternate history where things happened differently, but that doesn't stop space youtubers from getting up in arms about how something just isn't possible and they are freaking out that maybe people will think it was possible for the Russians to get to the moon. But the truth is that regular viewers don't give a poo poo if things are drastically different or not possible with the technology of the time.

Obviously it's a world where the N1 wasn't a total clusterfuck, but in the real world it was badly underfunded and the chief designer died suddenly a few years before Apollo 11. Without that who knows if they could have made things work. And like I said, the show doesn't say more about the Russians than you would see on American TV at the time so who knows how much earlier their timeline diverged.

By all means it's a smaller leap than literally any "What if the Nazis won WW2" alternate history.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Killer robot posted:

Obviously it's a world where the N1 wasn't a total clusterfuck, but in the real world it was badly underfunded and the chief designer died suddenly a few years before Apollo 11. Without that who knows if they could have made things work. And like I said, the show doesn't say more about the Russians than you would see on American TV at the time so who knows how much earlier their timeline diverged.

By all means it's a smaller leap than literally any "What if the Nazis won WW2" alternate history.

It's been mentioned before in this thread, but Korolev doesn't die after a botched routine surgery in the series' timeline. That seems to be the one big initial point of divergence.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through these slowly.

Dickinson is really good, y'all. Except the pilot sucks and the dad sucks any goodwill out of the show for the next epsiode too. But the third episode, the party one, is a good romp, and by about half way the entire endeavour has become oddly touching and sad. It's weird how it's aggressively leveraging death; it's doing a lot of stuff with nostalgia and ephemeral, chance encounters and brief moments of good, before the inevitable arrives. The low key comedy ends up helping in this regard, it's more a tragicomedy than a dramedy. Bitter sweet.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Cojawfee posted:

It is very obviously an alternate history where things happened differently, but that doesn't stop space youtubers from getting up in arms about how something just isn't possible

As a space youtuber, I love the show, and yes I laugh when they get stuff wrong but I don’t care.

I did make some joke about the phase of the moon being wrong when the Gordo returns to earth but having watched the following episodes it’s clear that what happened was they re-edited the story to move events around. I think when they shot it they intended for Sean’s death to come weeks after Gordo’s return.

Ultimately there’s surprisingly little space stuff in the show, lots more sitting in bars and talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Re: For All Mankind

The whole season has been kind of all over the place thematically. The mexican kid seems shoehorned in and hasn't really gone anywhere? At the same time it seems like a good setup for the next season.
Halfway through I would have said this show sucks, with the endless boardroom/bar-talk, but the final ep is pretty solid. It's real sci-fi alt-history, just go with it.

If the 1x10 after-credits scene is anything to go by (read about the concept, but never thought i'd see sea-launched nuclear rockets on a tv show) I can't wait for S2.