Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

pretty sure calvinist hell is just catholic heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oh, I have a dismal explanation for that.

See, quite often if you get depressed enough, you want to commit suicide but don't because you have no energy and no confidence you won't gently caress it up. Then when things get better due to a change of seasons or getting medication, you get your energy and confidence back so you do things you've been putting off, like suicide. You need to carefully monitor seriously depressed patients early on.
This is why all antidepressants have 'suicide' somewhere in the side effects.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Oh, I have a dismal explanation for that.

See, quite often if you get depressed enough, you want to commit suicide but don't because you have no energy and no confidence you won't gently caress it up. Then when things get better due to a change of seasons or getting medication, you get your energy and confidence back so you do things you've been putting off, like suicide. You need to carefully monitor seriously depressed patients early on.
This is why all antidepressants have 'suicide' somewhere in the side effects.

Anti-anxiety medication also tends to first increase the frequency and severity of anxiety attacks so they at first worsen the overall condition and make it look like that the medication does not work or only makes things worse.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Cool. Variety is the spice of afterlife.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Der Kyhe posted:

Anti-anxiety medication also tends to first increase the frequency and severity of anxiety attacks so they at first worsen the overall condition and make it look like that the medication does not work or only makes things worse.

Ugh, that explains a lot. gently caress mental illness.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/873052360892862464

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Usage of the word “gently caress” on Twitter last night (UTC).

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

It's a shared custody situation. You spend one day a week at each.

I don't want to go back, I want to stay at Buddhism's house. They let me have Nirvana at Buddhism's house!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is violence.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

gently caress!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/swardley/status/1205611957375639553

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the more i look at this graph, the more it confuses me.

at first i thought it was a map of english cities with some kinds of relationships, then i thought it was a graph of correlations between demographics and votes. now i have no idea.

what happens if gameplay becomes more emergent? does that make it more uncharted or more industrialized?

and why is few-individual-agency emphasized with green while many-control doesnt emphasize further to beloning??

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Dec 14, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh i see the arrow on the y-axis, its a timeline!

i get it now: psychological is before gameplay because you need to have a conception of the other's mind to understand how to play the game, unlike computers that cant even play tic-tac-toe. but also, agency comes later, because you are still an unthinking blob. only then can you start behaving (if youre safe).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Babies are not traditionally considered a pet, but common mistake

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I feel like plotting almost everything on the 45 degree line is taking the easy way out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jjack229 posted:

I feel like plotting almost everything on the 45 degree line is taking the easy way out.
There isn't anything like pesky quantitative numbers stopping you from believing the scale is logarithmic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

Babies are not traditionally considered a pet, but common mistake

Yeah and imo they're very fun but your mileage may vary

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Making them is a ton of fun, at least

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

zedprime posted:

There isn't anything like pesky quantitative numbers stopping you from believing the scale is logarithmic.

Its clearly logarithmic. Look how close together cats and dogs are. For cats you need to put food and water into bowls every day or two. And provide a tray of dirt for them to poop in, which must be cleaned every day or few. Open the door for it if its an outside cat. And that's it.

Dogs need to be constantly taken out for walks, trained, prevented from mauling kids, etc. Many times the effort.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Much like dogs, they should have a category for your baby and a category for your friend’s baby.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The fun to effort ratio for horses is way too high.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

ultrafilter posted:

The fun to effort ratio for horses is way too high.

Look, imagine you're the person making the graph. Do you want to fudge the numbers a bit or do you want to deal with angry horse people?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
So this graph is due to the threat of horse people?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just Offscreen posted:

Pyf funny/awful graphs: due to the threat of horse people,

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

This is good, but I feel like cats are lower effort than ferrets. Which is more fun, I couldn't say.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Just Offscreen posted:

Horse people are no joke:

https://twitter.com/AP_Oddities/status/1205820002051526656

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone I've met who has horses falls into 2 categories:

1. Their horses are in a field forever with no one interacting with them to the point where you wonder why they own horses. For decades, I have never seen them riding or even near their horses.
2. People who are serious enough to document the horse's parents and pay thousands to make sure this horse breed is pure and sell them for thousands. They make owning, breeding, and riding horses their entire identity.

edit: meant to say "make sure this horse LINEAGE is pure"

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Dec 14, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unperson_47 posted:

1. Their horses are in a field forever with no one interacting with them to the point where you wonder why they own horses. For decades, I have never seen them riding or even near their horses.
2. People who are serious enough to document the horse's parents and pay thousands to make sure this horse breed is pure and sell them for thousands. They make owning, breeding, and riding horses their entire identity.

There is a third group, which is identical to the second except they do not actually own a horse.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Goats are the superior horse.

Pros:
1. They are loveable, like dogs
2. Less expensive than horses
3. Hail Satan
4. Rabbit-sized poop
5. Baby goats have spring-loaded feets

Cons:
1. They are assholes, like cats
2. Piss on themselves
3. Musk

All the cons are alleviated by staying away from males.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Dec 14, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Some varieties also give wool or milk, and they can eat literal anything

Downside is they will eat literally anything and it's hard to stop them if they're determined

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Fact: goats are just extra horny sheep with shorter hair.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

cons:
4. Goats are built out of pure bone and are the hardest, least comfy mammal.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

greatest of all time, it's right there in the name

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Goats are the most delicious of barnyard animals.

Their milk is a strong second.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sheep are boring, goats are fun.

Also, hail Satan.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

klafbang posted:

Fact: goats are just extra horny sheep with shorter hair.

Someone once told me that they'd spent some time on a farm, and they'd never drink goat's milk again because the smell reminded them of goats loving, which they did a lot. That really stuck with me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In Australia, we have fish and chip shops. They usually have, on their menu, "minimum chips". Which is the smallest, cheapest amount of chips they'll serve you. Normally you'll get minimum chips, a piece of flake and maybe a South Melbourne Market dim sim. The price and quantity of your minimum chips differs greatly depending on where you go.

Some absolute mad lad is out here cataloging how much you actually get for your minimum chips serve around Melbourne, and it turns out there's literally no correlation at all.

The article is here*, where that graph is interactive.

As my father in law would say, "what a waste of human endeavour!"

*If it asks you to log in or sign up or anything, just block [*].theage.com.au from setting cookies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Unperson_47 posted:

edit: meant to say "make sure this horse LINEAGE is pure"

Texas has work horse users who genuinely love They Harses, but they are nowhere near the coast

Weirdly though, the people who most identify with owning horses are hilariously rich and the people who just kind of own horses are in debt and their kids move east as fast as possible

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Krankenstyle posted:

the more i look at this graph, the more it confuses me.

at first i thought it was a map of english cities with some kinds of relationships, then i thought it was a graph of correlations between demographics and votes. now i have no idea.

what happens if gameplay becomes more emergent? does that make it more uncharted or more industrialized?

and why is few-individual-agency emphasized with green while many-control doesnt emphasize further to beloning??
No, see, Cornwall is Psychological and York is Structure. That explains everything!