Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

I’m in Australia and I just finished the season. It is good.

If someone could make a Gif of the last moment of the last scene with Amos that would be great.

that bar none was the scariest loving psycho Amos look ever and I will have nightmares about it

After you finish the last episode I think you will agree “Thank you” should be the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raged posted:

I’m in Australia and I just finished the season. It is good.

If someone could make a Gif of the last moment of the last scene with Amos that would be great.

that bar none was the scariest loving psycho Amos look ever and I will have nightmares about it

After you finish the last episode I think you will agree “Thank you” should be the thread title

Final Amos scene spoiler:

the look Amos gives was incredible but just as incredible was that murtry also looked scared for the first time and like he realized he picked the wrong fight.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I binged it all last night. It was a phenomenal ride. Can’t wait for season 5!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favourite parts of the show are space-pirates grappling with politics, and weird space physics, so Ep3/4 Marco floating in an airlock pit awaiting sentence was so incredibly my poo poo.

Also my money on how they filmed it is that they had him hanging upside down from a harness for his whole monologue, which makes it even more impressive.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Eps 10

RIP Husband-man

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Quick and dirty GIFs from the :siren:FINAL EPISODE:siren: - click at your own risk!

https://imgur.com/GERgV2A

https://imgur.com/Ylirbt3

and confirmed: Protomolecule is just Umbrella-tech:

gonna rest my eyes now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Finished it, on Ashford: Normally the show is about giving people good or appropriate deaths and while the way he went out was great, it was a bit weird having him charge the pirate's ship with two other people and everyone getting shot pretty quickly, and then he gets caught off guard? Just a bit :effort:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

Finished it, on Ashford: Normally the show is about giving people good or appropriate deaths and while the way he went out was great, it was a bit weird having him charge the pirate's ship with two other people and everyone getting shot pretty quickly, and then he gets caught off guard? Just a bit :effort:

SEAL Team Ashford was the best way for him to go out though, he was this reckless Pirate using old OPA tactics against the new OP pirate. he almost had him, but didn't allow for the wild card. Good death for a great character.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Finished the season. That was some good Expanse. Not perfect though.

In adapting Cibola Burn, they managed to avoid many of the pitfalls of what is arguably considered one of the weaker offerings in the book series. There was a whole lot of set up for the crazy events of season/book 5. (Which is currently in production)

I feel like binging it all at once really changed the experience. Right now, my brain is recalling the whole thing as if it were a really, really, long movie. In my mind, It feels thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.

My first addled impression, is that it was less emotionally gut-punchy than season 3, and a few of the subplots seemed somewhat superfluous.

On the other hand, there was a lot more of the humor from the books, which I whole-heartily applaud. The effects, settings and cinematography looked great; a definite step above previous seasons in that regard. As for he writing, acting, and pacing, I won't really feel like I can process a solid opinion about those, until I watch it again, with a little more restraint next time.

Dreylad posted:

I'll agree that (ep.10) it was a bit jarring that he was suddenly a space John Woo character , considering it was his first and last full-action scene outside of spaceship battles. I don't really have a problem with how it all played out though.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 13, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The highlight of the season was definitely Real Miller and Holden adventures.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
In the The Expanse universe being able to say What the gently caress is a superpower..

And Holden is still the best at using this power.

EDIT am on Ep 5.. thinking of binging the rest tonight to..

mfny fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 13, 2019

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bou posted:

https://imgur.com/Ylirbt3

Absolute top tier Amos moment.

Binged the season over a day because I have a lot of free time and little self-control. I was surprised they spent as much time as they did (ep10)on the planet, as I expected them to resolve that faster and move on to book 5 territory. Guess they didn't wanna end it in the middle of a book like they did with the first two seasons. Not sure yet if that was a good decision since I haven't really had time to process the whole thing, but overall it was an enjoyable season. Gonna be watching it again in january with my gf at a more reasonable pace, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up on second viewing.

I missed Naomi's old haircut. And Anna.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Only on Episode 3 but are we still loving?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You all deserve to hear this again. get on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyGIJl1XUA

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This soundtrack is so good, gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbWmzoL4FwM

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

You all deserve to hear this again. get on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyGIJl1XUA

gently caress YES! Adding this to the bottom of the OP.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I'm three episodes in and it seems like they've made a lot of changes to the fourth book, generally regarded as the weakest in the series, to make it generally better and more dramatic. I appreciate that the Corey guys are able to not only treat the series as an adaptation but a chance to tell the story better.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm 6 episodes in. First of all, I love how actually setting this season on a planet has completely changed how it feels. Theres just something about those eagle-eye shots in the early episodes that gets me swept up in the whole...space-opera-i-ness of the shows premise that hit me really hard.

Secondly, Burn Gorman absolutely nails his role as Murtry and is an amazing presence in every scene he appears in. I didn't think I would ever be saying about the actor that played one of the worst characters in both Torchwood and Game of Thrones, but I'm happy to surprised.

Thirdly, I didn't think I could be crushing on Frankie Adams any more than I was, but I totally am.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Binged the whole season in two sittings. Not a book reader, but I'm somewhat disappointed. I mean it was great, I enjoyed the whole thing, but not much really happened. One of my favorite things about S1-3 is just how fast paced they are. More happened in the first 2 or 3 episodes of Season 2 than all of Season 4. In the end, not much was resolved and it was very much a slow burn with long stretches of people doing nothing. I did not like the introduction of Naomi's ex, the Super Terrorist with Epic Charisma who wouldn't shut up for like 40 minutes, and now oh joy, it looks like he might gently caress everyone. On the planet, this loser rear end in a top hat Murtry and his endless petty bullshit just wasn't very interesting to me, and all the drama between him and his 20 goons and the 20 or 30 or who knows how many settlers could have been resolved so much quicker. Overall, the stakes appeared to be a lot lower this season. That's fine, everything can't be about the existence of all humanity, but there was also very little character development. Holden, Naomi, etc. are the same folks who came into this, so are Avasarala and Bobbie for the most part. Now we have to wait another year+ to move the story forward.

Also Fred Johnson got barely more than a cameo!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Delthalaz posted:

Binged the whole season in two sittings. Not a book reader, but I'm somewhat disappointed. I mean it was great, I enjoyed the whole thing, but not much really happened. One of my favorite things about S1-3 is just how fast paced they are. More happened in the first 2 or 3 episodes of Season 2 than all of Season 4. In the end, not much was resolved and it was very much a slow burn with long stretches of people doing nothing. I did not like the introduction of Naomi's ex, the Super Terrorist with Epic Charisma who wouldn't shut up for like 40 minutes, and now oh joy, it looks like he might gently caress everyone. On the planet, this loser rear end in a top hat Murtry and his endless petty bullshit just wasn't very interesting to me, and all the drama between him and his 20 goons and the 20 or 30 or who knows how many settlers could have been resolved so much quicker. Overall, the stakes appeared to be a lot lower this season. That's fine, everything can't be about the existence of all humanity, but there was also very little character development. Holden, Naomi, etc. are the same folks who came into this, so are Avasarala and Bobbie for the most part. Now we have to wait another year+ to move the story forward.

Also Fred Johnson got barely more than a cameo!

You need to understand the book is like that, Naomi's ex isn't even in this book, so you can imagine how flat it would without him. This is basically the a soft reboot of the story because most things have reset to zero, It'll pay off. The one character that wasn't in the show is a bit of a shame. But they would have had to recast that character and it would have sucked

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

evilbastard posted:

This led down a rabbit hole, and yes it was probably a typo in the CGI artist, but : since it's IP address seems to be 5255.4DL5.BLAB.320F.91JD, so base 32 IP addresses ? 1.2x10^30 addresses ?[/spoiler]

That could be some local network addressing system :shrug:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rocksicles posted:

You need to understand the book is like that, Naomi's ex isn't even in this book, so you can imagine how flat it would without him. This is basically the a soft reboot of the story because most things have reset to zero, It'll pay off. The one character that wasn't in the show is a bit of a shame. But they would have had to recast that character and it would have sucked

and that's why it's the worst of the books. I was pretty disappointed in this season too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Going from the book, I thought this season was blisteringly fast. They cut out a ton of downtime.

It's not that anything important was cut, it's just a world building book and they could have easily made it into 2 seasons. I still think it's some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm really surprised it came out this amazing.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Just finished ep 2 gotta say hell yah Amos get that nut bro.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pixaal posted:

Going from the book, I thought this season was blisteringly fast. They cut out a ton of downtime.

It's not that anything important was cut, it's just a world building book and they could have easily made it into 2 seasons. I still think it's some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm really surprised it came out this amazing.

They completely cut the Havelock story from the show with the RCE ship having minimal screen time, and gave Munty a sidekick and Amos a gently caress buddy

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Instead of one story where [Ep.10] the characters were stuck in a single location, they had four where they were stuck in 4 distinct locations. (with some minor exceptions, here and there) and removed a stupid character trait for the scientist

As an adaptation, it's structurally superior to it's source material, but I can't help feeling that they missed some of the point of the criticism leveled at Cibola Burn in the first place.

There's not a lot this season that I can think of to point at and say: "This. This was the bad thing." [Ep.10] Other than something of a lack of resolution, due to all the unfinished plot-lines they set up for the next season, but keep in mind that this is the 1st book in the next big story arc. By nature, it's going to set up stuff that doesn't pay off until later.

On the whole, it's a not-quite-the-best pizza situation for me. I still enjoyed it greatly, but last season's pizza was better put together, all things considered. Last season had the advantage of being the big climax of the first story arc, though.

I don't regret a second watching it.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Svaha posted:

keep in mind that this is the 1st book in the next big story arc. By nature, it's going to set up stuff that doesn't pay off until later.

Right. I think this is why people were disappointed with the book at the time. 1-3 are the original story arc, and the authors then got more books added to their contract and 4 is starting a whole new story. If you feel like it didn't go anywhere, trust us Horrible Book Readers that it does. This is act one of a new thing.

I said I wouldn't binge and I'm starting episode five right now so, welp. More beer. This is also the first time I've ever streamed anything since I want to contribute to Amazon's numbers so they keep making more seasons. Works a lot better than it did when I tried on Chinese internet.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 14, 2019

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Hey, speaking of plot points that were set up early on and only now just payed off:
[ep.10] Remember when waaaaay back in Episode 1, Season 1, when Avasarala was interrogating that belter, asking:
"you were trying to smuggle contraband stealth technology, Who was is for?" Well, now you know.

Show is playing the long game, yo.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 14, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Regarding the recast of Ava's husband. The last actor always seemed to present a sort of naiveté about who she was whereas the new actor portrays the character as being pretty sick of her attitude most of the time. I don't think she was that different this season from before but I guess they also have never spent that much 'career' time with one another as they did in this period of their lives.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

Regarding the recast of Ava's husband. The last actor always seemed to present a sort of naiveté about who she was whereas the new actor portrays the character as being pretty sick of her attitude most of the time. I don't think she was that different this season from before but I guess they also have never spent that much 'career' time with one another as they did in this period of their lives.

Yeah, she was an un-elected bureaucrat before, so while she definitely engaged in politics, she didn't have so much of a public profile to spill over into her personal life.

Agreed that the old actor had a charming naiveté about him that made more sense as a partner to a great world leader. The new guy did a good job, even if his take on the role was a bit different.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I love the old actor since I've seen him in a billion things. But production reality is what it is, and the authors said he was recast because the original dude was busy with another project, not because they wanted to. The new guy is good too.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The new guy is just way too young, that's my biggest beef. I mean he has grandkids. He's 49.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Has Burn Gorman ever not played an rear end in a top hat?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Phenotype posted:

He was a good guy in both Pacific Rim films.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Phenotype posted:

Not believably look at that face

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

The new guy is just way too young, that's my biggest beef. I mean he has grandkids. He's 49.

World leaders are often cradle robbing perverts, so that scans fine to me! :colbert:

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The woman running against Avasarala in the election is an apallingly bad actress and it is brutal to listen to her juxtaposed against the exquisite SHOHREH AGHDASHLOO

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

They do have life extension drugs in the setting. Lifespans are in the 150+ range for people like him with access to them.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Svaha posted:

World leaders are often cradle robbing perverts, so that scans fine to me! :colbert:

Why does Avasarala show up in the flight logs for trips to L2 St. James?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I had both the vinyl soundtrack and art book delivered today, both are great. The center labels for the four sides of the soundtrack are Tycho Station, Eros Station, Ceres Station, and the Roci.