Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Black August posted:

Tyrant got a hat. I want Nemesis to have a hat too. Like, I dunno. A stovepipe hat. Or a baseball cap.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Top hat and monocle?

All these and more should be randomly selected every run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you think about it he's already wearing a ski(n) mask. Just have him wear it rolled up wear it down as he wants.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Just add the hat system from RE2make, Mr Racoon hats for everyone.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
hmmMmmm is it first person?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

whaley posted:

hmmMmmm is it first person?

No

There's several shots in the trailer that make it clear that it's the same perspective as RE2, maybe pulled back a little

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I am absolutely garbage when it comes to aiming in games. I suffer from tremors in my hands so it's tough for me to pinpoint a location and hold it steady with the thumb stick.

However, I do love a good horror game so I downloaded the Resident Evil 2 demo for the PS4, after hearing that the game has an auto-aim feature. However, I discovered that for some reason you can't enable the setting in the demo. As a result, I couldn't even make it past the very first encounter in the demo. I am aware of things like decreasing cursor sensitivity but it only helps so much.

Does the auto-aim turn the game combat ridiculously easy? As bad as it sounds, that's what I need. I can enjoy games immensely with auto-aim enabled.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

me your dad posted:

I am absolutely garbage when it comes to aiming in games. I suffer from tremors in my hands so it's tough for me to pinpoint a location and hold it steady with the thumb stick.

However, I do love a good horror game so I downloaded the Resident Evil 2 demo for the PS4, after hearing that the game has an auto-aim feature. However, I discovered that for some reason you can't enable the setting in the demo. As a result, I couldn't even make it past the very first encounter in the demo. I am aware of things like decreasing cursor sensitivity but it only helps so much.

Does the auto-aim turn the game combat ridiculously easy? As bad as it sounds, that's what I need. I can enjoy games immensely with auto-aim enabled.

No because aiming is not the hard part. The zombies are very resilient to damage and there's quite a few of them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Also when it comes to the zombies in RE2, they take the same amount of damage no matter where you shoot them. Sure, you can shoot their legs off to get them on the ground or whatever, but the only thing headshots do is make it possible to do a critical hit. Otherwise they take the same amount of damage if you shoot them in the chest. I assume you're not playing on the hardest difficulty?

Also you get a shotgun later. Not a lot of aiming required for that one.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

No because aiming is not the hard part. The zombies are very resilient to damage and there's quite a few of them.

That's good to hear (I think).

Morpheus posted:

Also when it comes to the zombies in RE2, they take the same amount of damage no matter where you shoot them. Sure, you can shoot their legs off to get them on the ground or whatever, but the only thing headshots do is make it possible to do a critical hit. Otherwise they take the same amount of damage if you shoot them in the chest. I assume you're not playing on the hardest difficulty?

Also you get a shotgun later. Not a lot of aiming required for that one.

I did not realize this. It being a zombie game, I figured head shots were essential to taking them out. I may try the demo again and not worry so much about sticking on the head. And shotguns are always my favorite weapon in shooting games because of the spray :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There are a lot of analysis videos on RE2 because a lot of it was surprisingly obscure and what it comes down to is that headshots save you 1.5 bullets per zombie on average so missing a single shot negates the advantage. Go for legs or chest with pistol, you can aim higher with shotgun, magnum is largely a one-hit wherever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Try kicking the zombies right in the loving cock

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Try kicking the zombies right in the loving cock is my middle name.

I think one thing I do need to do is bring my headphones home from work because my PS4 is so loud playing this game that I can't even hear the zombies bashing down doors.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Clean the dust out of your PS4.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Some PS4s are just noisy. My fresh out the box one certainly was.

Not nearly as bad as the PS3, though.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Pathologic 2 on Xbone has some really bad loading and framerate issues at the moment unfortunately. Very excited to play it more when it’s patched, however

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Just played about 3 hours of Cold Fear for want of something spooky/winter themed to play for December's Friday the 13th tonight. Wound up quitting thanks to its combat/story eventually wearing me down with their tedium, but I certainly didn't expect to see so much Dead Space DNA in it! I always heard about it as the under-the-radar, less good RE4, but it has way more in common with Dead Space despite coming out several years prior. I got into total Dead Space mindset when I had to start stomping the heads on corpses to prevent them from becoming reanimated by parasites in the midst of combat encounters, so that was a neat surprise. Plus there's a surprising amount of varied ways to kill enemies using the environment, but they rush up to you so quick you hardly ever have a chance to utilize most of them. Don't regret the purchase for the few hours I got from it though, they killed it with that stormy atmosphere if nothing else.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Top hat and monocle?

"STARS! I declare!"

Give me Gentleman Nemesis.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What would you all consider to be some of the more fertile/untapped settings for horror games?

And on the flipside, which ones have been done to death?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the infinite respawns in cold fear made me give up on it.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Darthemed posted:

What would you all consider to be some of the more fertile/untapped settings for horror games?

space stations have been done to death. but i don't care give me more space station horror games.

there are a few wild west horror games out now but it they still feel pretty rare

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What Wild West horror games are there other than Darkwatch and, uh, that bit in Parasite Eve 2?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Darthemed posted:

For ones that feel (relatively) untapped or that I’d personally like to see done well:

- Circus
- Theme Park
- The Witch-esque 18th century village
- Deserts/Desert towns

For stuff that feels overdone:

- Haunted houses
- Industrial settings
- spooky woods
- ruined city

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

What Wild West horror games are there other than Darkwatch and, uh, that bit in Parasite Eve 2?

Wasn't Alone in the Dark 3 Western themed?

Also Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spite posted:

space stations have been done to death. but i don't care give me more space station horror games.

there are a few wild west horror games out now but it they still feel pretty rare
I honestly would not be surprised if the rarity of Wild West Horror is because of how many people making horror games these days are looking to make you an unarmed track and field athlete.

While in spite of how bleak the time setting can be, the Wild West still invites the tone of "wally west junior had to behead three wendigos just on the way to chopping firewood for his family." or six shooters and rifles everywhere because ha ha old west :911:

Which would loving rule, if you wanted to make your own Resident Evil in the old west. Not so much if you were trying to bandwagon onto the "Man armed with only his wits and cellphone flees deadly amish, or slenderman, or whatever. Brought to you by Unity engine"

...Man, Wild West Horror is now making me imagine a from the inside out version of a horror settlement simulator. Where you are just another cog in a well established midgame town going through the motions of grinding up before the Big Endgame Disaster.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 14, 2019

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Relin posted:

the infinite respawns in cold fear made me give up on it.

Yeah this is more or less what happened for me as well. The constant combat anytime you needed to backtrack was a pain, made worse by the fact that the laser sight was often concealed by your characters big head.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd like to see Condemned Done Right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Cold Fear really does the feel of being on a dinky little ship in a storm well. I wouldn't be surprised if some people got seasick just from watching that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Terrible dumb thoughts on the prompt from a broke idiot who doesn't get to play many games in the first place:

Horror done not often, not well:

-On a boat. Man of Medan tried, and there's a lot of old bad games, but very little approaches the level of, say, Cryostasis.
-Theme park. For all its many problems, Illbleed had the proper makings of some good genre goofs.

Horror done often terribly:

-Space ships. Not a lot of effective innovation here recently, which feels weird because it's a claustrophobic and literally alien environment, there's lots of room for psychological horror. There's a lot of good space games, and some of them are roughly action-horror themed, but you'd figure there's a lot of room for new ideas to blossom here.
-Dreamscapes. Maybe I've just missed a good title because I'm perpetually broke and get most of my media secondhand, but it feels like dreamscapes have a lot more potential for being unnerving spaces that goes unexploited. Evil Within 2 seems alright, but boy oh boy there's a lot of cheap garbage making use of this theme. Also, while it may not be to the taste of many here as a tryhard Earthbound-alike, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass really nails some of its themes and creeping darkness here.
-The woods. From asset rips to their overuse for decades as a no-budget horror movie setting, just getting sick of seeing horror here. Most forests are incredibly peaceful anyways.

Horror what is not done:

-Cave diving. Has anyone tried, much less effectively?
-Live cityscapes. A city that is living and breathing and simply does not care about whatever insane bs you're up against is intensely isolating. The closest I can think of personally is Heavy Rain, which, well, lol. Condemned would almost work, but its setting seems to imply a city that is at best on life support, and everywhere you go is basically ruined and corrupted already.
-Just once I'd like to see a game where you're a clown, you're a good guy, and it's everything around you that's hosed up and seething with internal darkness.
-The existential horror of watching capitalism turn into fascism in the face of a crisis and at least 1/3 of the population is %100 on board. Maybe this one's for the best.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

-Space ships. Not a lot of effective innovation here recently, which feels weird because it's a claustrophobic and literally alien environment, there's lots of room for psychological horror. There's a lot of good space games, and some of them are roughly action-horror themed, but you'd figure there's a lot of room for new ideas to blossom here.
The thing where it's an alien environment is part of why I think it often works so badly, honestly. One of the most effective things horror can do is to take something familiar and safe and turning it bad. It's why both haunted houses and zombies are such a common and effective element of horror: homes as places of danger and friends and family as monsters strike at the core of how we as people think.

On the other hand, running into a monster in the monster place is just an expected and predictable hazard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Darthemed posted:

When I was training for an ultramarathon I experienced a lot of truly disgusting body horror and obsessive thinking that would probably give non-runners some good scares.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I ran regularly enough to get the runner's high and also share a mild discomfort with the nightmare endurance potential of the human body, I can relate

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I really want to see an Old West horror game now. Red Dead or Call of Juarez but survival horror. You're a prospector working a mine, or a ranchhand riding the range, when something starts hunting you.

Old timey guns would work really well for horror thematically too, I'd love to see games do more with the idea of unreliable weapons; usually in survival horror you either get weapons that are really scarce and you have to just conserve ammo, or they go the opposite and load you up like Rambo and the biggest challenge is jumpscares. What if instead, all you had was some beat up old revolver and ammo that sometimes turns out to be duds, and maybe a single shot rifle that's a pain to reload especially when you're being chased by a drat chupacabra or something

Shady Amish Terror posted:

-The existential horror of watching capitalism turn into fascism in the face of a crisis and at least 1/3 of the population is %100 on board. Maybe this one's for the best.
Yeah too real, this can already be lived for free :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

GIMME MORE

Southern Gothic. It shares a lot of similarities with the New England horror Lovecraft and King populated but the American South has long battled bitter racial divides, insane wage gaps even among whites, the destruction of entire communities to rampant capitalism, and a seamless integration of various local, indigenous, and foreign superstition and religion. A game set in a dead Appalachian town would be creepier than Pathologic without even needing to dive into surrealism. The stairs in the woods copypasta? Yeah, that's every mountain coal town.

Underwater. We know less about our oceans than space blah blah blah gimme more creepy rear end bio fish and poo poo underwater. Abzu but pants making GBS threads!

"Hollow earth?" I don't know what to call this, sort of related to cave exploration but more off the wall. This one comes with a recommendation, an excellent graphic novel called Satania about explorers looking for Hell and demons are a subspecies of human who evolved underground. Lots of great psychological and body horror follow.

JUST STOP

Woods alone ain't scary.

Haunted houses. Actually I love haunted houses but most video games treat them as set dressing. A house is an extension of the people who live there and a powerful setting for environmental story telling. Anatomy and Eternal Darkness are great examples. PT worked so drat well because you exist in that one hallway as it transforms from a living space to a nightmarish hellscape. Something like Layers of Fear takes zero time to establish the living space, it's just a backdrop for an endless labyrinth.

Hospitals/Asylums should be banned for like 10 years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I want to see a haunted trench. Think about it: It's still a place people live, terrible things probably happened in it, and you can have a very good reason the protagonist can't leave (there are an awful lot of bullets outside). You could do the haunted house narrative and environmental storytelling stuff quite well in one.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I've always liked stuff that goes really deep underground, just implausibly deep with weirder and weirder poo poo happening the further down

Not Hell stuff necessarily, but a sense of complete isolated entombment, and bizarre, little understood implications, like that recent discovery that finds there's like two absolutely massive shifting blobs of molten material squirming around way waaaaaay down

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want train horror! There's something romantic about cross country train travel but you're also in a narrow metal tube, on a direct line, going one direction, through sometimes hostile terrain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

I want train horror! There's something romantic about cross country train travel but you're also in a narrow metal tube, on a direct line, going one direction, through sometimes hostile terrain.

Someone make a crpg that's just Horror on the Orient Express pls n thx

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

Boy do I have the game for you

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Night10194 posted:

I want to see a haunted trench. Think about it: It's still a place people live, terrible things probably happened in it, and you can have a very good reason the protagonist can't leave (there are an awful lot of bullets outside). You could do the haunted house narrative and environmental storytelling stuff quite well in one.
Necrovision, but ghosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

now that snow tech is decent, id like to see snow/blizzard horror that makes you actually take the cold into account. like you have to trudge through waist deep snow or whatever and doing so is bad enough because you cant see anything but you soak your clothes when the snow starts melting so you have to start a fire or hang out around a heater or something to dry your clothes and warm up, and like the monsters or whatever can track you down by your paths through the snow so youd have to cover them up by kicking snow over where you travelled but that takes time