Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I'm a bit more used to your Endless Space games and Civ games than the grand strategy ones.

It seems like there is only score victories in this game so I feel a little bit aimless once I get out of the real early game.

Am I supposed to be trying to win by min maxing resources, taking all the land I can possibly take and trying to snowball an economy or is it more like rimworld or something where I should be more invested in the 'story' of a campaign than actually trying to just win.

One other thing, how do I actually turn resources into production/power/literally anything? I can turn one resource into another resource at the market but I don't see a way to speed up unity production with energy credits or anything. So if my economy is pounding away and I'm running out of space to store all my space bucks I don't really know what to do to take advantage of that.

E: is it just buildings on colonies to make resource consuming jobs?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agent355 posted:

So I'm a bit more used to your Endless Space games and Civ games than the grand strategy ones.

It seems like there is only score victories in this game so I feel a little bit aimless once I get out of the real early game.

Am I supposed to be trying to win by min maxing resources, taking all the land I can possibly take and trying to snowball an economy or is it more like rimworld or something where I should be more invested in the 'story' of a campaign than actually trying to just win.
Yeah the game is more what you make of it, if you ask me. Minxmaxing resources can help you make the story more about you by helping you be more powerful, but you can do whatever you want and it probably wont matter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agent355 posted:

One other thing, how do I actually turn resources into production/power/literally anything? I can turn one resource into another resource at the market but I don't see a way to speed up unity production with energy credits or anything. So if my economy is pounding away and I'm running out of space to store all my space bucks I don't really know what to do to take advantage of that.

Depending on DLC there's people you can give energy to for Stuff. Failing that you can give energy to people you like to make them like you better. Or you can dial back on your energy production to ramp up your mineral production to help ramp up your alloy production to help ramp up your ship production for you to go a-murdering with, which will then take energy to maintain.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Buying Unity is generally not a thing the game let's you do. You can and should use the Marketplace of Ideas trade policy to juice your unity income though.

The win condition is basically just 'survive the end game crisis' and 'accomplish whatever it is you set out to do'.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 12, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I had a rare technology pop up that would let me put all my civilians into a chemical bliss state. I turned it on after I researched it because I had to see what it actually did. How much does that production loss really matter?

Well apparantly it matters alot and I can't change it back for a decade and there is no way I can not have my empire destroy itself with the resource deficits I just created.

Hippy communes never work.

Also to extrapolate I don't mean literally 'how do I buy unity' I mean 'what do I spend excess food, ore, consumer goods, etc' on. There must be a reason you would want to do more than just break even on the resources, I can't see where I can actually do anything with them that isn't an automated upkeep cost.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Agent355 posted:

I had a rare technology pop up that would let me put all my civilians into a chemical bliss state. I turned it on after I researched it because I had to see what it actually did. How much does that production loss really matter?

Well apparantly it matters alot and I can't change it back for a decade and there is no way I can not have my empire destroy itself with the resource deficits I just created.

Also to extrapolate I don't mean literally 'how do I buy unity' I mean 'what do I spend excess food, ore, consumer goods, etc' on. There must be a reason you would want to do more than just break even on the resources, I can't see where I can actually do anything with them that isn't an automated upkeep cost.

For excess food & ore you can either sell it for more creds and use the creds to buy stuff that matters (alloys), or offer monthly trade deals to any neighbors you want to schmooze up to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Sell it, buy Alloys.

There's also some policy options (press F6) like Nutritional Plenitude that you can use. Your people eat more, but breed faster and are happier, very worth it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

cock hero flux posted:

i see they stole the evil comet/asteroid name from Outer Wilds

that's fine though because it is a cool name for an evil mystery rock

Nah, I named it and have no idea about TOW.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Nah, I named it and have no idea about TOW.

i didn't think you had actually stolen it because nobody has actually played Outer Wilds, partly because people always confuse it with The Outer Worlds, a game that was more prominent and came out at the same time with a very similar name

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Agent355 posted:

The general idea is that districts (the squares) produce base resources and buildings use the base resources to make other stuff. For Unity you usually build Monuments or Holo-Theatres. Some specific civis/empire types have different things you can use.

Most important is your alloy production, after that comes research, then everything else, imo.

As others have said it's mostly about surviving (to) the endgame crisis.

If you just go ham taking over everything you will probably go insane micromanaging it. I personally take like ~10 planets and some nice chokepoints usually. It's usually enough.

If I'm just producing too much of any one resource I usually sell them and buy more alloys. Only relatively late will you have more alloys than you know what to do with, and they are always useful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Though honestly I finding that as you play on Admiral or Grand Admiral, trying to build a competitive alloy economy is sort of a fools errand. Much better to build a bunch of fortresses, and just use the raw materials to buy friends and deter would-be attackers while you tech up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

i didn't think you had actually stolen it because nobody has actually played Outer Wilds, partly because people always confuse it with The Outer Worlds, a game that was more prominent and came out at the same time with a very similar name

Case in point, I had assumed you had typoed Outer Worlds when I posted. :v:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What does "Galactic Ambitions -20.0" mean?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Where are you seeing that?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kanthulhu posted:

What does "Galactic Ambitions -20.0" mean?
In what Context?

I think you are referring to the upkeep cost of something? In which case the Unity unlock called "Galactic Ambition" reduces upkeep of whatever it is you are looking at by 20%, I think?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Create a new subspecies of your people, give them different living standards, and then apply that template to everyone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Darkrenown as your last act as a member of the Stellaris team please smack whoever made the Ix'Idar Star Collective upside the head for me. Fleeting + pooled knowledge. Jesus wept.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Any Glavius-tier mods for performance out?

I watch the job status flicker on some worlds while the game chugs to <1 day/second with despair. Hoping the move to my SSD will help.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 13, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm so sad Glavius burned out :(

I know a few other stellaris modders who have really turned on the game recently, the launcher disaster really soured a lot of people and I think the other shoe's finally dropped in terms of people losing any optimism for the game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

For Stellaris 2 please get rid of the system level view.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does anyone else see issues where the Caravaneer convoys just don't do anything? Multiple games now I've found them 150 years into the game just chilling in Chors Compass or whatever, happy as a clam.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Should I bother trying to figure out the nitty gritty of ship design or is bigger number=better pretty much good enough?

I guess there is a bit of rock paper scissors with shield/armor vs lasers/kinetics and missiles vs PD, but is 'auto best' good enough for the most part

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Agent355 posted:

Should I bother trying to figure out the nitty gritty of ship design or is bigger number=better pretty much good enough?

I guess there is a bit of rock paper scissors with shield/armor vs lasers/kinetics and missiles vs PD, but is 'auto best' good enough for the most part

Eh, I'd say getting the basics down is a fair-sized boost to the power of your ships. I've seen auto-best do some pretty weird stuff. Here are a few tips:

* You usually want as many of the largest kind of ship you can field as possible.

* Give them the largest guns you can - one medium gun is more powerful than two smalls, for example.

* Understand that bonuses to hull damage are powerful, since every ship in the game has considerable numbers of hull points, but not every ship has shields or armour.

* Don't worry about countering the opposing fleet's strengths and weaknesses, just don't go all-in on anything so you don't get countered by accident. The exception to this tends to be space monsters and the endgame threat factions. These are counterable - look them up on the wiki to see what their weaknesses are. For general use though, try to give each ship an equal mix of guns that kill shields, and guns that kill armour. Or you can make a shield killer ship and an armour killer ship and build fleets containing a mix of each.

* If you choose to go for weapons that can be shot down (missiles, strike craft) then go all-in on them. Having the occasional fighter in a fleet is just asking for it to get shot down by point-defence and do nothing.

* I've never really needed to bother with point defenses, I just tank the hits and rely on killing the enemy fleet as soon as possible to minimise the damage they get to do.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Gort posted:

* Don't worry about countering the opposing fleet's strengths and weaknesses, just don't go all-in on anything so you don't get countered by accident. The exception to this tends to be space monsters and the endgame threat factions. These are counterable - look them up on the wiki to see what their weaknesses are. For general use though, try to give each ship an equal mix of guns that kill shields, and guns that kill armour. Or you can make a shield killer ship and an armour killer ship and build fleets containing a mix of each.

I think most of this is true, but I've always felt it was good to use a large number of corvettes outfitted for high shield damage with railguns and autocannons, as well as an equall or lesser number fitted for shield penetration with torpedoes or missiles.

Then I pad things with destroyers to provide point defense against other interceptors, some dedicated missile cruisers and leave my battleships to tackle the big guns from a long distance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Why would you team up shield killers with things that bypass shields entirely

The point of bypassing shields (IE with a mob of corvettes with disruptors and missiles) is that you don't have to kill the shield HP at all

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You should split your fleet weapons with exactly one quarter kinetic/energy guns, one quarter strike craft, one quarter disruptors, and one quarter point defense.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Didn't people run the maths, and find that Destroyers are just bad and either go corvettes for evasion or big ships (or a mix), but never destroyers?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lil Peeler posted:

I think most of this is true, but I've always felt it was good to use a large number of corvettes outfitted for high shield damage with railguns and autocannons, as well as an equall or lesser number fitted for shield penetration with torpedoes or missiles.

Then I pad things with destroyers to provide point defense against other interceptors, some dedicated missile cruisers and leave my battleships to tackle the big guns from a long distance.
This makes no sense. Shield penetration ignores shields. Shield damage destroys shields. Why deliberately couple a thing that ignores a thing and a thing that blows up a thing?

A good mix of shield and armour hull damage are good because it'll be pretty good against anything (upgrading to the +hull versions as you research them). Throwing a bunch of missiles and torpedoes and fighters in can be useful because they have long range so you might knock out a few additional ships in the opening salvo, but after your first wave the penetration is doing nothing for you because it doesn't synergise with what the rest of your guns are doing.

Similarly if you're going all in on disruptors go all in on disruptors, don't bother with non-penetrating guns because again, no synergy. Again the range benefit of missiles can be worth the tradeoff of the lack of synergy from your missiles having to chew through the armour your other weapons are ignoring.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I've heard spamming corvettes until you can spam battleships is the way to go.

I usually put anti shield on my corvettes and lasers on my battleships.

Not claiming to be an expert on it though, im simply not.

Are strike craft and missiles actually worthwhile yet?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

I've heard spamming corvettes until you can spam battleships is the way to go.

Nah, destroyers and cruisers are more efficient than corvettes, it's just that battleships are so clearly superior to destroyers and cruisers that you can give up on destroyers and cruisers once you have battleships.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

You should split your fleet weapons with exactly one quarter kinetic/energy guns, one quarter strike craft, one quarter disruptors, and one quarter point defense.

This is basically what I'm doing and it's glorious. Enemy fleets are just wiped out with minor losses again and again.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You do half missile half autocannon because most of the missiles are going to get shot down because AI ships are cram packed with PD.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Splicer posted:

Darkrenown as your last act as a member of the Stellaris team please smack whoever made the Ix'Idar Star Collective upside the head for me. Fleeting + pooled knowledge. Jesus wept.

I'm already gone!

PittTheElder posted:

Does anyone else see issues where the Caravaneer convoys just don't do anything? Multiple games now I've found them 150 years into the game just chilling in Chors Compass or whatever, happy as a clam.

One of the optimization patches broke their movement, but they were fixed afterwards (albeit they mostly moved to the same planets) so they should be moving if you're on the latest patch. Unless it broke again :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I turned them off right after they added the option and havent looked back. Too many times their special system spawned in a choke point or something like that, their fleet annoyed the poo poo out of my by trying to leave my space into a Badboy civic species then bounced back, so I dont feel like I'm missing anything - am I wrong?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I turned them off right after they added the option and havent looked back. Too many times their special system spawned in a choke point or something like that, their fleet annoyed the poo poo out of my by trying to leave my space into a Badboy civic species then bounced back, so I dont feel like I'm missing anything - am I wrong?

I turned them off because I like playing on maps that are huge and (comparatively) empty, to make space seem more scary. I could deal with the Nomads since I could see something like that (a nomadic space civilization showing up on your doorstep) actually happen. The Caravaneers felt more like I was suddenly roleplaying a space comedy and I'm not in the mood for that when I play Stellaris, so I turned them off forever.

Would be nice if we could switch between Nomads/Caravaneers/Both/None, to be honest, but if I can't choose, "gently caress off" represents my wishes the best! :v:

If we ever get a Nomad-civic, the first thing I'll do is probably make half a dozen of them to cycle them through my games

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Agreedo. It's always felt superfluous to the game's core design

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
In 2.3 or 2.4 I had a bug where in a multiplayer game the caravaneers would keep asking me to buy those destroyers for 200 alloys. After the 4th one, I stopped buying because I felt like it was a bit cheaty :D

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes please, because that would make me finally stop playing -the readers of my LPs would rejoice too, as I would put the new free time into more writing + playing my LP-games.

Edit:

Ooops, thought you were talking about the next Stellaris expansion or something. I'll leave my stupid up but please imagine I wrote "Well OK, but I wouldn't buy that game then" instead, thanks. :shepface:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

Ooo does this mean that strike craft are finally worthwhile? I’ve always wanted to make a “space aircraft carrier” out of a cruiser but my understanding has been that strike craft are (or were) hot garbage compared to other weapon types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm 99% sure that's a troll OP.

Darkrenown posted:

One of the optimization patches broke their movement, but they were fixed afterwards (albeit they mostly moved to the same planets) so they should be moving if you're on the latest patch. Unless it broke again :sigh:

Yeah I remember the bug where they'd just camp out over your capital forever. Now I keep seeing them not move anywhere :smith:

Mind you I do have the Distributed Start mod on, maybe that hosed it up somehow but I don't see how.