Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kastivich posted:

We had Premiers on our Mazda 3. They were shot after 40k miles. Costco did a prorated warranty on them which worked out to about 25% of the original price returned. Other than the premature wear the tires were fine. We bought a second set but traded the car in before wearing those ones out.

40k miles seems like an insanely long life to me. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Couple hundred miles into my new winter tires (Hankook iCept) on the Civic Si and a couple of observations:

Theyre quiet
They ride well
Bit squishy (to be expected)
Theyre not a fan of full boost in second gear

Got a dusting of snow the other day and the roads were slippery with some patchy black ice and they had decent grip through the lovely sections. Im waiting for a really snowy/icy day to see how they will do in really adverse conditions.

In related news the desk clerk at the main operating room I work at was considering getting two winter tires but went with four after our discussion. Her car is a 2019 Cruze RS with the 18 wheels and it will be her only transport now that her dads truck walloped two deer in one day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kastivich posted:

We had Premiers on our Mazda 3. They were shot after 40k miles. Costco did a prorated warranty on them which worked out to about 25% of the original price returned. Other than the premature wear the tires were fine. We bought a second set but traded the car in before wearing those ones out.

Thanks. I read a couple of reviews about the shorter life span. I went ahead and ordered them, they have great reviews and I figure the price difference over 3-5 years won't be much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How is 40k miles a "short" lifespan?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
40k miles vs the 60k they're warranted for. But I've never bought tires for the mileage warranty, so I'm not really their target market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah I was going to say i think my longest-lived set of tires got maybe 20k miles?

WS90s are on the Alltrack and it's snowed quite a bit in SEMI. They seem good so far. Not too loud in the dry, either.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help guys.

I got WS80's on my Leaf, got a good price online, ordered them and had Les Schwab put them on along with rims and TPMS. Crazy how different the car sounds and feels. Definitely feels gripper in the moderate temperature rain than the eco's I had before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
👏

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

PitViper posted:

40k miles vs the 60k they're warranted for. But I've never bought tires for the mileage warranty, so I'm not really their target market.

Yeah, short relative to their warranty. Costco warranty implementation is hassle free, so why not take advantage of it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Any opinion on Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...uxury%20Package

Seem decently rated and a pretty good price.

I see people using WS80's, but seem like overkill for me (1-3 heavy snow falls per year, lots of driving over packed snow cause they don't plow well around here). Just want something better than the slippery OEM tires.

(EDIT: The Pirelli aren't in stock at the local Discount Tire, but WS90's are for an extra $100, if that makes a difference.)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 16, 2019

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My coworker runs the SZ3 on his Genesis sedan, and seems happy with them. What size are you looking for? I like the Ice Zero FR from Pirelli, but they're hard to come by.

Edit: Nevermind, clicked the link for the size. What's your weather like? The Ice Zero FR will probably be quieter, with a little better bite in icy weather. His SZ3 are nice, but they're a little noisier in comparison. Or the Conti Vikingcontacts might be another good option.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 17, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm in Central Illinois. We seem to get 1-2 heavy snowfalls per season (less of late). I want something that handles ≈1" of snow before its plowed better than the OEM tires, that slide around way more than the Blizzaks I had on my old car.

I feel anything in the "studless snow tire" category (per Tire Rack) is overkill compared to the "Winter Performance" category.

This car puts down 240 hp, but I drive pretty sedately these days.

EDIT: I don't see Ice Zero FR tires available at Discount Tire. Gonna go with the Winter Sottozero 3. Thanks!

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 17, 2019

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, for that kind of use case, the SZ3 will be great. We get lots of snow, ice, and general crappy weather in Minneapolis, and we live out past the 3rd ring suburbs, so it takes a couple days before the roads are well cleared from a big snowfall.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Needing help with tire selection.
I have an 07 Toyota Sienna AWD. 225 60r17 currently. I couldn't really tell what tire I had except Micheline Green X tires. I tried to look but its cold as gently caress, and I couldn't read a model. No real issues with the tire in the 2 years I've had the van.

I live in Denver, mostly drive to the mountains, summer (biking) and winter (snowboarding), so looking for a good all situation tire. I imagine that doesn't actually exist?

Looking for all-weathers with snow emphasis I think. I dont have the space to have a set of tires not in use. Looked at tirerack.com but I will probably buy local to have them installed and local warranty.

Tire rack suggests GOODYEAR - ASSURANCE MAXLIFE @ $151.00 a tire.

e: what about the Michelin CROSSCLIMATE+? I think I saw it getting talked about, and DiscountTire has a 100$ rebate for cyber monday crap

deong fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 2, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

deong posted:

I have an 07 Toyota Sienna AWD. 225 60r17 currently. I couldn't really tell what tire I had except Micheline Green X tires. I tried to look but its cold as gently caress, and I couldn't read a model. No real issues with the tire in the 2 years I've had the van.

I live in Denver, mostly drive to the mountains, summer (biking) and winter (snowboarding), so looking for a good all situation tire. I imagine that doesn't actually exist?

Looking for all-weathers with snow emphasis I think. I dont have the space to have a set of tires not in use. Looked at tirerack.com but I will probably buy local to have them installed and local warranty.

I would also be interested in this, but I only need three season tires (live in SoCal).
Id really rather not get the Assurance Maxlife if they will never see snow. I would also spend a bit more to get well performing tires since the van gets driven maybe 6k miles per year.

In other news, Im taking my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s through some cold but probably not snow tomorrow (luckily the I-15N not the I-5/grapevine). I shouldnt expect much pucker factor, right?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

deong posted:

e: what about the Michelin CROSSCLIMATE+? I think I saw it getting talked about, and DiscountTire has a 100$ rebate for cyber monday crap

Try the Goodyear Weatherready over the Maxlife if you want good snow traction. Otherwise the Crossclimate is supposed to be good in snow, but I don't expect they'll be very good if it's icy at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

In other news, Im taking my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s through some cold but probably not snow tomorrow (luckily the I-15N not the I-5/grapevine). I shouldnt expect much pucker factor, right?

don't drive like an idiot and you'll be fine (fairly standard advice)

dry and cold is fine, the tires are firm but they grip OK and as long as you aren't pushing it you'll be fine. wet and cold is less good but i would not anticipate any pucker factor until you get to snow and cold - but no matter what the freeway tends to stay relatively clear and dry due to traffic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FYI Discount tire direct is having a cyber monday sale on tires today

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Just got my winters put on for the year. I've been using X-Ice 3's for a few years now and I have no complaints. The dumbest thing I've done on them is drive 50 miles on mostly unplowed highways in the middle of a mild blizzard. I found I could do 65 in moderately deep snow (a couple inches at least) without any problem. It wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done but the roads were almost empty and I slowed way down whenever I came up on another car in case they did something unexpected.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtnczk8Mxk

Good stuff.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

First time I've seen cords under the rubber

I'm going to get new ones first thing tomorrow

Thing is they've worn down on the shoulders, kinda looked melted like it's been doing donuts? But still got legal tread depth in the middle.

It was already like that when I bought the car so I knew I'd be replacing them now I'm settled again, but I didn't expect cords.

Previous owner said they wore weird and then he got a rotation and an alignment and apparently that stopped them wearing like that.

Even at the time I didn't believe it for one second, of course - but if I get new tyres and an alignment, will that maybe fix it? Or am I expecting to be paying for new suspension bits?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

simplefish posted:

Thing is they've worn down on the shoulders, kinda looked melted like it's been doing donuts? But still got legal tread depth in the middle.
Been run underinflated.

Outside chance it's been run on a car with bad alignment and worn one edge, then a very cheap owner has had someone swap the tyres left to right "to even it out".

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

simplefish posted:

First time I've seen cords under the rubber

I'm going to get new ones first thing tomorrow

It was already like that when I bought the car so I knew I'd be replacing them now I'm settled again, but I didn't expect cords.

Previous owner said they wore weird and then he got a rotation and an alignment and apparently that stopped them wearing like that.

Even at the time I didn't believe it for one second, of course - but if I get new tyres and an alignment, will that maybe fix it? Or am I expecting to be paying for new suspension bits?

Check the alignment when you get the tires done.

Assuming nothing is actually bent or anything you might have front end issues like loose ball joints or torn control arm bushings or your struts are old and the coil springs are sagging or all of the above.

If your having camber problems I feel bad for you son.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

After being surprised at how decent the Lionhart tires are on the Avalon, I'm bottom-of-the-barrel shopping for the Passat. Looking at 245/40-18. As I was browsing, I found there was a brand called Cosmos or thereabouts... and they have a model of tire called "Mucho Macho." They're about $40 more per set than the others... but can I pass up having Mucho Macho tires?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
No. No you cannot.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Check the alignment when you get the tires done.

Assuming nothing is actually bent or anything you might have front end issues like loose ball joints or torn control arm bushings or your struts are old and the coil springs are sagging or all of the above.

If your having camber problems I feel bad for you son.

Thanks, there was a recent PPI done that mentioned bushings but not boots or balls. I'll double check what bushings exactly.

InitialDave posted:

Been run underinflated.

Outside chance it's been run on a car with bad alignment and worn one edge, then a very cheap owner has had someone swap the tyres left to right "to even it out".
Thanks, yeah he said he got tyres rotated and then an alignmemt so it'd even out.There's a receupt for it iirc. Like I said I I was always going to get it done for myself to check but cords showing when they weren't 3k miles ago has me worried there's a bigger problem

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

All ok with the alignment except the rear right that has 4.5mm toe... and a rounded bolt/nut that meant it couldn't be adjusted

On the plus side they said if I get the bolt changed in the next 3 months they'll finish aligning it for free

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

simplefish posted:

Thanks, there was a recent PPI done that mentioned bushings but not boots or balls. I'll double check what bushings exactly.

Thanks, yeah he said he got tyres rotated and then an alignmemt so it'd even out.There's a receupt for it iirc. Like I said I I was always going to get it done for myself to check but cords showing when they weren't 3k miles ago has me worried there's a bigger problem

trashed control arm bushings are great at destroying spec camber angels. But the reason they are trashed is your struts are worn out. To get by, replace arms, and recheck alignment possibly having to put after market cam bolts on to get you back into spec. to fix the problem correctly, do quick struts and control arms.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Finding a place that will patch a run flat is apparently a big hassle. Bridgestone even says they can be patched if they haven't run below 15psi, but multiple places I've called won't even consider it. Going to try an actual Bridgestone place Monday.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kastivich posted:

Finding a place that will patch a run flat is apparently a big hassle. Bridgestone even says they can be patched if they haven't run below 15psi, but multiple places I've called won't even consider it. Going to try an actual Bridgestone place Monday.
could be a good opportunity to get non-runflats (they suck balls)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

taqueso posted:

No. No you cannot.

:lol: I just read this to my wife and she said "See, you're not the only juvenile out there." :sigh: She won't be so smug when I show her how nice my Mucho Machos ride.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

She's gonna lose you if she doesn't appreciate your macho side.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

trashed control arm bushings are great at destroying spec camber angels. But the reason they are trashed is your struts are worn out. To get by, replace arms, and recheck alignment possibly having to put after market cam bolts on to get you back into spec. to fix the problem correctly, do quick struts and control arms.

Thanks, haven't got round to this yet as I'm having engine issues on my other car (which also has hosed suspension lol)

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

meatpimp posted:

As I was browsing, I found there was a brand called Cosmos or thereabouts... and they have a model of tire called "Mucho Macho."
I looked into this and I wish I hadn't.

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/e6oOY1k.jpg :nms:

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 16, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what the gently caress

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now I'm torn. Do I need a Sexy Beast? A Kitty Kat? A Chubby Nubby?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This is one of those times where having 4 different tires on one car is a vast improvement.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

This is one of those times where having 4 different tires on one car is a vast improvement.

Well yeah, it's a car, not a unicycle.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think it's great that my niece was able to get her tire company going, last I checked she was still doing crayon based design drawings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I am looking to replace the tires on my E82, wheels are the stock 18" you get with the M Sport. The stock sizes are 215/40r18 front and 245/35r18 rear. 215 wide tires seem to have a pretty crappy selection in 18" so I was thinking about going with 225s in the front, but should I stick with 40 profile or go down to 35? I also need a recommendation for a good all season hi performance tire

e: after doing a bit of reading apparently everyone runs 225/40r18 front and 255/35r18 on the rears, I'll have to see what that does to the available selection

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 26, 2019