Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gohmak posted:

Did the book carry such overt Bible references?

Anna talks in great detail about her faith and crisis of faith during the third book while they are in the ring space. They kind of gloss over it in season 3.

It's not trying to be preachy it's trying to give a realistic view of what a religion person would think. How do you not question your faith after the gate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

evilbastard posted:

Her PDA really knows her well - look at the Autocorrect options.

Looks very LCARS'y at the text input part.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finished episode 6 last night! It's been really good so far! I like the extra storylines they've put in, although I'm not sure how I feel about Bobbie joining the criminals so easily. I also like Avasarala's rival. She's wrong, of course, but it's a very believable stance to take for a politician -- gently caress the consequences, let's get out to those rings and grab everything we can, and if anything bad happens it'll probably just happen to poor people and the working class.

On Ilus, I keep getting the idea of a colony of ants who've just discovered an oven. And its roomy and dark and there are bits of food everywhere, and it seems like a great place to live. Of course, they're hilariously unequipped to understand what this oven is actually built for, but the owner of the house doesn't cook much, so they live there happily for a while, until one day the coils turn red for some reason, and it starts getting hot. What the gently caress was that thing churning up all the dirt for? I dunno, let's just hit it with a missile so it stops, and hope nothing else terrible happens.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

complete season spoilers: definitely what i've enjoyed most from this season and the last is the ultra insane bullshit (in a good way) that the protomolecule can pull out, like loving with gravity, velocity, or fusion. all the investigator/real miller scenes were my absolute favorites and i'm very sad that it is over. rip miller, again :unsmith: i am 100% more interested in the protomolecule investigation compared to the main story, but the main story is good too. humans are just too boring compared to the Physics-Bending level of advancement that they have only barely scratched the surface of

while the tension planetside was fun, i felt it was dragged on too long and it got tired by the end. bobbie's descent into a life of Crime was interesting only to see how mars is dead as gently caress. also with how the season finale seemed like it was setting up the show to really ramp up the belter vs inner war, definitely seeing mars being sold for profit to make the belters a massively powerful force to be reckoned with vs an earth which will never really change too much. with how Space War makes it frighteningly simple to commit planetcide, i'm looking forward to the hell scape that awaits in season 5.

also i love amos

This sums up my feelings too. (E6 Spoiler) I found the the visual of the fuel pellets not fusing and instead bouncing uselessly off the walls of the fusion reactor fantastically eerie. It was perfect at immediately communicating that -something- was wrong with reality all of the sudden.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Oasx posted:

Overall I liked this season, but it felt like five episodes stretched to fill ten, it didn't seem like a lot actually happened other than to set up events that will take place the new few seasons.

Question about Mars: Did we find out why so many people are suddenly looking for work?

Mars' whole thing as a culture is the dream of terraforming a new livable world and over 1300 ones just became accessible

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oasx posted:

Question about Mars: Did we find out why so many people are suddenly looking for work?

Lot of people were in the military but Mars is off a war footing now. They were disassembling a Donnager in that scrapyard. That's Mars' newest, most impressive tech--they're getting rid of a lot of their military if they're scrapping brand new battleships.

Josh Lyman posted:

Binged s4 all in one sitting. Some of the planet stuff dragged but overall I loved it.

For those of you who know, you say this is act 1 of a new story arc. Can you give me some details? If it’s just Earth vs the rest I feel like it loses some of the sci-fi appeal. Feel free to PM me if you think it’s too much book discussion for this thread.

It's too much for the thread, I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally read it. It's definitely not just Earth vs the rest.

What I will say is book 1-3 is the discovery of alien tech and it unlocking the thousand new worlds. Very nonspecific: Books 4-6 are about the consequences of having a whole new frontier and upending the order of things. 7-9 are about sticking your dick in something that's been hosed enough already.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 14, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Sour Diesel posted:

Mars' whole thing as a culture is the dream of terraforming a new livable world and over 1300 ones just became accessible

Which made the scene where the kid gets into the terraforming program so hilarious as he doesn't seem to get how that's a complete deadend now but Bobbie does.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Stayed up all night binge-watching. Probably would have appreciated it more doled out a week at a time but the pacing was obviously plenty engrossing for a single sitting.

Really appreciated the little blink-and-you'll-miss-it touches. Also lmao wow mars turned out to be even fashier than previously implied. No wonder all those marines in s2 were unbearable. yikes. what a lovely planet.

E10-specific stuff: Accidentally got spoiled on twitter about Ashford dying and was still p gutted. What a great and entertaining multi-layered character. Both kind of a shame and also rather fitting that he went out how he did. Also having been spoiled on the ending cliffhanger I still appreciated the slow build toward it with plenty of hints along the way. Someone else mentioned as well but I really love the long-game payoff of the interrogation scene in the first episode.

Grand Fromage posted:

Lot of people were in the military but Mars is off a war footing now. They were disassembling a Donnager in that scrapyard. That's Mars' newest, most impressive tech--they're getting rid of a lot of their military if they're scrapping brand new battleships.
E10
Almost like the top martian brass might have found what they think likely to be a way cheaper way of winning the war permanently!

Waiting for S5 is going to be agonizing.

Overall season stuff because I can't remember specific episode numbers: lmao at the whole mysterious blindness thing going on like two episodes longer than it needed to if Holden had thought to mention the fuckin cancer med thing at the same time he apparently mentioned his complicated parenting situation. At least the audience get to feel like a big brained smarty pants after thinking about that every time it was mentioned that he was ~mysteriously immune~ and then having that turn out to be the reason.

The tensions between the evil corporate miners and the Belter settlers were well-done overall but did kinda lose something by having the same couple of conflict vignettes happen over and over and over, in what felt like every episode. Might have worked better with watching one episode a week rather than all at once?

Speaking of tedious, on the one hand it was a little much listening to Dreamboat McTerrorist chat for what felt like 20 minutes but overall I think it was probably better to have it than not? Better that we get to actually see him being charismatic and persuading characters who really ought to know better to see his side of it and maybe even starting to buy his side of it a little tiny bit ourselves. Also works well as a sort of.. counterfactual bookend to Miller shooting Dresden.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Finished the season. The election subplot was the only part I found kinda tedious, everything else was good. Bobbie seeming more human, we love it don't we folks.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i liked robobobbie :(

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Like I don’t get the election part was she going to run unopposed in a few days anyways? Or can anyone just call a vote if they run? Just kind weird and felt out of pace with the rest of the events.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

hailthefish posted:

Overall season stuff because I can't remember specific episode numbers: lmao at the whole mysterious blindness thing going on like two episodes longer than it needed to if Holden had thought to mention the fuckin cancer med thing at the same time he apparently mentioned his complicated parenting situation. At least the audience get to feel like a big brained smarty pants after thinking about that every time it was mentioned that he was ~mysteriously immune~ and then having that turn out to be the reason.

Actually I found this delightful (in the books as well). Because you're sitting there rolling your eyes because YET AGAIN holden is the chosen one who will guide us all to victory, because he's buddies with the protomolecule. At that point you start to get kinda of sick of it, and then it's something completely mundane like cancer meds and it's a big lol moment. At least for me :)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kaedric posted:

Actually I found this delightful (in the books as well). Because you're sitting there rolling your eyes because YET AGAIN holden is the chosen one who will guide us all to victory, because he's buddies with the protomolecule. At that point you start to get kinda of sick of it, and then it's something completely mundane like cancer meds and it's a big lol moment. At least for me :)

He only has the cancer meds because of the protomolecule. Checkmate. :smuggo:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Snowman Crossing posted:

The election subplot was the only part I found kinda tedious

As much as I love Avasarala I didn't really care for this. It didn't give us any new character development and I just don't see the point of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ep 10 I'm interested in seeing where things go for Avasarala. Seems like a lovely thing to set up for her to ask Bobbie to work for her, then have Bobbie finally call up just to say "sorry, I lost my election, no job for you" and then Bobbie ends up being an ice hauler.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think now its important to remind show watchers that the e panse really is 3 trilogies, and we are starting a new trilogy arc that will encompass at least to season 6 or 7. That's why its changed its scope, seems to be resetting to 0, and seems to be all setup

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Lol "I'm doing my part!" On Martian adverts

I do like the occasional lampshades on the fact that Mars is an extremely Starship Troopers society and culture.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Still amused by the reveal last season that the terraforming machines (that are at the center of their entire civilization's reason for existing) were not only privately-owned but owned by one rich family.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The authors haven't said anywhere that I've seen, but Martian culture is similar enough to republican Rome in its values that I can't imagine it's coincidental. Appropriate.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

whole lotta sticks cuddling with an axe

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Just finished the season, I have thoughts..

"Thank you" .. that whole scene is amazing, In most depictions of someone with Amos's "condition" he would be making That Face all the time so that's what REALY sells it is this I think, and Murtry's reaction is perfect as up until the very second he sees Amos's expression change he thought he knew what he was dealing with and he is/was so very loving wrong..

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

As much as I love Avasarala I didn't really care for this. It didn't give us any new character development and I just don't see the point of it.

Yeah it did, you just don't see it

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Koirhor posted:

Like I don’t get the election part was she going to run unopposed in a few days anyways? Or can anyone just call a vote if they run? Just kind weird and felt out of pace with the rest of the events.

It was just the regular election for Sec Gen, Avasarala was just finishing Gillis' term after he was ousted.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah it did, you just don't see it

General spoilers for the season: What though? We already knew she was a mean old hag who wants to win at any cost. There's a character who says as much to her face in episode 3 or 4 of the first season. That despite everything she has a soft spot for her family? Again, something we learned in season 1. I just don't see what additional info about her we got about her this season

Season 5 speculation: If Marco just drops a rock on Gao and Avasarala ends up back in charge this whole thing will be so disappointing. I hope that's not gonna happen, but they did make a point of getting her off Earth while also leaving her husband there to provide an emotional hook

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Also this season has one of the best masturbation joke/reference things ive seen in years btw.. its a blink and miss thing but i loled for real..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mfny posted:

Also this season has one of the best masturbation joke/reference things ive seen in years btw.. its a blink and miss thing but i loled for real..

What was it? I may have missed this.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What was it? I may have missed this.

Ep 10, Alex comments to Amos about his newly reconstructed hand/fingers, and Amos says he is going to go "test" it.. and we ALL know what he means by that..

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

mfny posted:

Ep 10, Alex comments to Amos about his newly reconstructed hand/fingers, and Amos says he is going to go "test" it.. and we ALL know what he means by that..

Except, the audience then finds out he meant going to beat someone to a pulp.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

General spoilers for the season: What though? We already knew she was a mean old hag who wants to win at any cost. There's a character who says as much to her face in episode 3 or 4 of the first season. That despite everything she has a soft spot for her family? Again, something we learned in season 1. I just don't see what additional info about her we got about her this season

Sounds like you got some of the broad strokes. final episode spoilers:z But she's always had a soft spot for her family, especially her husband, he's always been there support her as dick swinging background politician. But she started to turn into a tyrant, only taking her own council getting tunnel vision about the protomolecule, until her Husband had had enough and sent her to deal with her mess alone. There is obviously more to it, and a good portion of her story this season wasn't in the book. But it still gave her character development, and added something for the actress to do and pad out the very tough to TV Ilus plot.

They had to dig into the next book already and even with 3 less episodes, without Avasrala's story there would have been a lot more filler or a whole lot of the next book would need to be changed, and that would be a crying shame.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

mfny posted:

my thought on this was "oh poo poo - he's going to kill Murtry now" and was confused as nobody tried to stop him. I totally blacked out on Amos being such a smoothtalking fucker. :11tea:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Final episode things Seeing Ashford go was gutting but it was great seeing him be a clever old pirate right up til the end. Why did they think dreamy pirate man was going to throw the rock at one of the belter stations? At that point he had already attacked Earth once, seems like a safe bet he was gonna do it again?

bou posted:

my thought on this was "oh poo poo - he's going to kill Murtry now" and was confused as nobody tried to stop him. I totally blacked out on Amos being such a smoothtalking fucker. :11tea:

I thought he was gonna go to the firing range or something to make sure he could still use a gun, since he loves guns

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clanpot Shake posted:

Final episode things Seeing Ashford go was gutting but it was great seeing him be a clever old pirate right up til the end. Why did they think dreamy pirate man was going to throw the rock at one of the belter stations? At that point he had already attacked Earth once, seems like a safe bet he was gonna do it again?

I thought he was gonna go to the firing range or something to make sure he could still use a gun, since he loves guns

final: Earth and Mars are so well defended it just seemed like something not worth considering, Ahsford knew right at the end what they were doing, he was trying to get them to say it by playing dumb. A sly old fox to the end

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Except, the audience then finds out he meant going to beat someone to a pulp.

In the context of Amos as a whole, It could go ether way in terms of meaning ?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think I would have been much more satisfied with the season if they had told us what the deal actually is with the drat planet. It's just as mysterious now as it was in the first episode. Instead, we end with asteroids hurtling toward earth from the B-plot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Delthalaz posted:

I think I would have been much more satisfied with the season if they had told us what the deal actually is with the drat planet. It's just as mysterious now as it was in the first episode. Instead, we end with asteroids hurtling toward earth from the B-plot.

It was an old protomolecule outpost dead for a billion years, that was what earth would have looked like eventually. They went over it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ That doesn't tell us what the purpose of the protomolecule megastructure was, just the consequences of its construction.

Delthalaz posted:

Gotta agree there, finding out that the protomolecule apparently converted a huge portion of the entire planet into one ginormous machine seemed like way too big a deal to leave unanswered, unless that ends up part of the overarching mystery of this new plotline.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Planet I would really not invest a lot of energy in hoping for specific answers about the protomolecule aliens. Though there will be more exploration of why they're extinct.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think my biggest criticism of a plot element in the entire show pretty much happens in this season/arc:

I find extremely out of character that Murtry gets to live. There are so many ways to accidentally die and so many characters that want him dead. I get that we needed a bad guy and he's written as a super smart dude outplaying everyone but the guy had two factions hating on him, both of which had their fair share of murderous psychos.

We saw more attempts on Avasarala's life than Murtry and the guy was an extreme rear end in a top hat who put himself in an extremely bad corner surrounded by people who weren't really liable to no one. We only knew he was gonna get caught because he's the bad guy who gets caught in the end. Holden and Amos are fairly trigger-happy and the scene where Holden spared him in the desert after they put Naomi's life in danger felt super out-of-character. Rather, maybe trigger-happy is not the proper word for Holden but he's very impulsive.

I could swear that he was gonna kill Murtry and someone else would get bitter over that and escalate the tension between the three groups.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

^^^ That doesn't tell us what the purpose of the protomolecule megastructure was, just the consequences of its construction.

Gotta agree there, finding out that the protomolecule apparently converted a huge portion of the entire planet into one ginormous machine seemed like way too big a deal to leave unanswered, unless that ends up part of the overarching mystery of this new plotline.

But that's what the protomolecule does. It usues what it finds and builds outposts, what we know of the protomolecule is jus t a fragment lost to history and the ramblings of millercule. It's not what they were that is the point, it's why they are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
They were harnessing planets for energy. Protomolecule creators were a Kardashev 1 civilization; likely past that.