Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Mandalorian feels like Disney gave a budget to some of the fan-film makers, and I say that as a big complement.

yeah. yeah i have liked it alot so far, its not some big HBO type epic but i like the story so far and it kinda shows the post endor political universe better than TFA/TLJ did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It'll be funny if the rumors are true and it's a Pirates of the Caribbean scenario where Disney gave up on Star Wars after Solo and gave the Mandalorian room to breathe without micro-management.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Also Noah’s first travelogue videos are loving amazing as well

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

As much as I disagree with him about the possible quality of the film, I agree that a workprint version would be a more interesting watch than a fully completed version.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
Random thought but I just realized it's been years since the existence of the channel exurb1a was actively at the front of my mind. I don't know why, since I can recall they made great videos. And with 1.52m subscribers, and their videos receiving close to that many views on average, they're clearly doing well for themselves without my help. But for some reason I never subscribed back when I was made aware of them, and the algorithm has never recommended me any of their videos ever since. How strange.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It'll be funny if the rumors are true and it's a Pirates of the Caribbean scenario where Disney gave up on Star Wars after Solo and gave the Mandalorian room to breathe without micro-management.

thats my guess. disney is finishing up the skywalker saga and then will take a "break" with it movie wise for a couple years to figure out what they can do with the universe and poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kyoto Video on Sherlock Hound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWLSBr_2FQ

Memory from my childhood right there.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/cinemassacre/status/1204945440417992704

DVD recorders in 2019 ftw.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This one hurt, bit to be fair I haven't played the N64 version in years. My most recent playthrough have been on the 3DS. A replay of OOT on orignal hardware might yield the same complaints cause no way the feel of the controls of that game hold up.

Hell, the water temple on OOT might be just as bad because of the iron boots. The water based temples are the sewer levels of 3D zelda games is my point.

But yikes, trying to take on Majora with so few hearts..I kind of respect that but even with all the footage he got, he must of missed a lot of stuff still. 90% of that game is side quests and just dicking around to find stuff. I better keep the "No you edit, what are you doing." Stuff to my self.

WHY ARE YOU WITHDRAWLING RUPPIES FROM THE BANK!?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. I generally think his stuff is "okay" but those two videos are some serious :psyduck: stuff. He has the most unhealthy view of what a reviewer and a review is.

"I can't formulate an opinion on this game unless I do 100% of everything or else I won't see the complete picture."

Funny thing is, I do have a similar compulsion*, but even I realized that trying to marathon through every single moon in Odyssey or, god forbid, exhaust BotW of every last piece of content possible was a fool's errand. Though that may overlap with why I don't actually boot up my Switch almost ever. Or make hours-long videos complaining about it.**

*I think it's valid to judge games on how they structure stuff like collectibles, particularly games that outright track your completion percentage or games where the side content either noticeably adds or subtracts from the bigger picture, but I also don't really mind a general sense of repetition. I still get hung up on games with too much content, tho. Like keeping on topic to the Switch, good god does Hyrule Warriors just have a staggeringly endless amount of poo poo to do on top of the inherent repetition that all Musou games are built upon. It's hard to not be intimidated by that and just give up even trying to come close to finishing the game.

**I have played around with long-winded essays and play reports and such, but notably I have never, ever tried to go full word vomit and make one long unbroken masterpiece because even I get tired of my own bullshit eventually. Regardless of what you think about his opinions, that he believes a single gargantuan 9 hour long video on the Witcher is the best way to convey his thoughts is just:psypop:

Casey Finnigan posted:

If you want to watch people talking about video games for ridiculously long amounts of time I like Noah Caldwell-Gervais. He's just a dude who drives around the American Southwest a lot and plays video games. I can't say I've ever heard an argument from him that I thought was stupid and he's gotten me to check out games like Dying Light that I ended up liking a lot.

I think he's had a few bad takes over the years and one or two things I noticeably disagreed with, but nothing so aggressively bad as to make me not like the dude. Like I feel he was too soft on Bioshock Infinite and its DLC, but that was some of his earliest stuff and he's definitely grown a lot as a creator since then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Murdoch posted:

I think he's had a few bad takes over the years and one or two things I noticeably disagreed with, but nothing so aggressively bad as to make me not like the dude. Like I feel he was too soft on Bioshock Infinite and its DLC, but that was some of his earliest stuff and he's definitely grown a lot as a creator since then.
Yeah I think his take on the Infinite and the DLC is wrong but it's a bit of an exception and while I disagree with it I don't think it's a stupid position. His style is too pleasant to cause umbrage anyway.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Another interesting video on Fallout. Especially on the NCR as mirroring the USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DK1BpaYmnk

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kyoto Video on Sherlock Hound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWLSBr_2FQ

Memory from my childhood right there.

Sherlock Hound rules.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

wait did Pirates of the Carribean get something actually good now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No wonder he’s so angry, what a lovely workflow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

No wonder he’s so angry, what a lovely workflow.

Lol. It's hard to break the old ways. I imagine James would never ever consider playing these games on anything but an old CRT, so this has always been how it's done - why have the arseache of splitting signals and so on when the DVD recorder still works? Well, we'll see what happens now if he's finally going the laptop/capture card route :D

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

wait did Pirates of the Carribean get something actually good now?

I think they're talking about the first movie, in fact.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why... Why is he recording stuff on DVDs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

Why... Why is he recording stuff on DVDs

James is kinda stuck in the past in a lot of ways.

In one of his videos he talks about HD video and doesn't seem to really understand it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don't understand the first thing about recording, but when he says they're backups does that mean that he recorded digitally and then made copies of the footage for preservation purposes?

Anyway, new Mandalore Gaming video about a Warhammer 40K game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjsOu2Kzbw

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Alacron posted:

I don't understand the first thing about recording, but when he says they're backups does that mean that he recorded digitally and then made copies of the footage for preservation purposes?

Probably means that he recorded to both mediums at the same time in case one of them got corrupted, it's good practice to do this to always have a backup. Using a DVD-recorder to do this is odd though but I guess he's using it because back in the day he used to exclusively record to DVD.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yeah, the DVD's are backups. From the sounds of things the main recording would have been done digitally via the N64's modded HDMI ports, using something like this DVR that can record straight to an SD card: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Channel-Audio-Records-Telecamera/dp/B00OUZOYU8 (presumably something better than this cheap bit of chinese crap). He would have done both at the same time, using the N64's regular AV port to connect to a DVD recorder.

Of course it would be much simpler to just connect the N64 up to a capture device that connects to a laptop/desktop computer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mike is very much the tech guy on this kind of stuff.

James definitely has editing experience (his main job is making commercials iirc) but I'm not sure how much he knows about the capture side. I believe he's even said some of his NES footage was off VHS tape.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kamrat posted:

Probably means that he recorded to both mediums at the same time in case one of them got corrupted, it's good practice to do this to always have a backup. Using a DVD-recorder to do this is odd though but I guess he's using it because back in the day he used to exclusively record to DVD.

I mean, from a pragmatic point of view I can totally understand wanting a dedicated hardware backup recorder, even if DVD recorder seems like a somewhat clunky way to go. I used to rely exclusively on my audio capture device; unfortunately that can be at the mercy of your individual computer suddenly deciding it needs to do an auto-update or system check under the hood, spiking your CPU and turning your recording into an instant Skrillex remix. It's slightly annoying when you're recording in short segments, but can ruin your night of work when it happens in every one of your 20 minute live music takes. Lesson learned, bought a dedicated Zoom handy recorder as the dedicated backup.

Also, new video from Jacob Geller: Does Call of Duty Believe in Anything? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCV421T52s

Spoiler: Of course it does, but they don't want to admit it

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kamrat posted:

Honestly, for analog consoles it's not the worst idea. Like, aside from the hassle of swapping discs it's no hassle to configure, it's SD->SD, and nearly-lossless Analog->Digital. Like, game picture quality is probably not James' biggest concern, but because of the quirks of old game consoles, DVD recorders are still a pretty good option for getting pretty high quality capture without mangling fields or resolution. A lot of capture cards freak out with older consoles and basically none of them really understand what a 240p signal is.

Plus, like, if you've already got one that still works, might as well keep using it. DVD-Rs are like 4¢ a piece right now.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually kept using it for so long just because he wanted to get to the bottom of a spindle 😂

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Also breaking up a long time workflow is extremely daunting

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Honestly, for analog consoles it's not the worst idea. Like, aside from the hassle of swapping discs it's no hassle to configure, it's SD->SD, and nearly-lossless Analog->Digital. Like, game picture quality is probably not James' biggest concern, but because of the quirks of old game consoles, DVD recorders are still a pretty good option for getting pretty high quality capture without mangling fields or resolution. A lot of capture cards freak out with older consoles and basically none of them really understand what a 240p signal is.

Plus, like, if you've already got one that still works, might as well keep using it. DVD-Rs are like 4¢ a piece right now.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually kept using it for so long just because he wanted to get to the bottom of a spindle 😂

This is all true. You'd never want to put an analog signal straight into a capture card. The card and software will likely read it as 480i and the result will be a mess (basically what happens when you try and play an old console on most modern TV's through composite, it looks dreadful and nothing like you remember it -- 240p is a weird signal that's almost like a trick, modern TV's don't process it good). I should have clarified in that last post that, having an N64 modded for HDMI that pumps out a lovely digital image, obviously James would be best off shoving that straight into the capture card, not the regular AV. The DVD recorder will probably remain -- it's a pretty easy for James to do all that while still happily playing on an old CRT that knows just what to do with 240p, even if it just ends up being a passthrough.

Of course there's many other ways to accomplish this with switchers, fancy upscalers for RGB and lord knows what else. The best channel to learn about all this on YouTube, by far, is My Life In Gaming -- these two lovely fellas are the dons when it comes to telling you the best ways to play your old consoles today.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 14, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Also, new video from Jacob Geller: Does Call of Duty Believe in Anything? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtCV421T52s

Spoiler: Of course it does, but they don't want to admit it

interesting video. he makes some good points but fucks some points up.

you can't shoot the butchers kid and wife. the game gives you a empty pistol and even after it doesnt let you shoot them. at the end you can shoot the butcher though and leave his body for the russian cops. also the butcher legit shoots a family in level so i have no really. also i disagree with the hadir thing, in the game, he is fine with working with the US, hell, he genuinly likes the one player character, its more he is desperate and circumvents his sister who is super lawful good and just wants the russians gone even if it means stealing gas from the russians and working with not al quida. even than price and co don't want to turn hadir over to the russians because i get where he comes though and i agree with some of his points.. the comments sections is eyerolling though. also i get what he is going for when he is talking about gallager but jesus gently caress its kinda overkill.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Of course there's many other ways to accomplish this with switchers, fancy upscalers for RGB and lord knows what else. The best channel to learn about all this on YouTube, by far, is My Life In Gaming -- these two lovely fellas are the dons when it comes to telling you the best ways to play your old consoles today.

I've been tempted for a bit to shell out for one of those boxes that properly separates and collapses the fields and puts out a digital 60p signal, but I don't really do enough with old games to justify the $200.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1205940169855160321

I still haven't gotten around to watching it, but this cut bit from the backer version is so good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

I still haven't gotten around to watching it, but this cut bit from the backer version is so good.

Well... it's true!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I think they're talking about the first movie, in fact.

oh well, i thought they meant that disney gave up on Pirates and now there's something good out because they weren't meddling

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr.Radar posted:

Shaun went mask off. Err...skull off? Whatever it is, he took it off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Seeing reactionaries try to defend the Bell Curve and the biological reality of race is hilarious because they'll give you charts that disprove all their positions but they're too stupid/blinded to realize it. Once had a guy link a chart that showed Africans had as much genetic variance as half of the rest of humanity and it was impossible for him to see it because he was so blinded by racism.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

The best channel to learn about all this on YouTube, by far, is My Life In Gaming -- these two lovely fellas are the dons when it comes to telling you the best ways to play your old consoles today.

They're such a great channel. They did an amazing mini-documentary earlier this year for M2, who are easily the best when it comes to porting retro games to modern hardware.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I finally see why the content creators do it now! For the love and feedback.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1206043451013369856

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

I've been tempted for a bit to shell out for one of those boxes that properly separates and collapses the fields and puts out a digital 60p signal, but I don't really do enough with old games to justify the $200.

The OSSC? I've heard lots of good things -- seems to be the main one follks recommend now, even over the XRGB Mini (tbf, I presume those are now harder to get and way more expensive even than they used to be). I've also heard pretty decent things about something called the Retrotink-2x if you're looking for something a lil' cheaper - it only outputs 480p through HDMI but I think it's about $100 (US obv).

Mind you if you're talking about stuff for the channel, I don't really see much wrong with just buying the cheap Chinese stuff if your audience isn't going to be hugely picky about it, and you're not gonna be either. I used to have a cheap Chinese RGB/HDMI thing and it was absolutely fine, I'd probably still be using it if it wasn't for someone's unbelieveable generosity.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 15, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Something about the internet makes people think they’re watching television and participating in narrative with someone who’s not real in the way that they are. I don’t know how that squares with the parasocial thing, but they’re definitely related. Being an Allison fan probably feels like being a Stannis fan or a Danaerys fan or whatever, in that you like them and are invested in what you can see but they’re not real to you.

The alienation of late capitalism can’t end soon enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

I finally see why the content creators do it now! For the love and feedback.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1206043451013369856

Jesus kill all comments sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jesus kill twitter