Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0Kz7xSJvg
Anton made.. an actual LOUDENER. :magical:

Anton's definitely lost his goddamn mind this week, in the best way possible.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Rolo posted:

3D puzzle box games like the mobile series The Room would be cool in VR.

You might like Form... not the same but a cool and good psychedelic vr puzzle game that's 60% off atm

https://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thoatse posted:

You might like Form... not the same but a cool and good psychedelic vr puzzle game that's 60% off atm

https://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

That does look neat! For 6 bucks I’ll bite.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Grabbing Form, too! Is Timelock worth the current dollar price?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For anyone else starting Budget Cuts 2, a quick bit advice; Don't eat every taco you see on the Rooftop level. Stash one in your inventory, because someone wants one a little ways on in the level and it'll save you backtracking/scouring every table to find one you didn't eat.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0Kz7xSJvg
Anton made.. an actual LOUDENER. :magical:

Anton's definitely lost his goddamn mind this week, in the best way possible.

Finally I can humiliate sosigs with an airhorn after I murder them. Now I just need some way to play some lovely dubstep ingame aswell.

For real though, it's amazing how much that man enjoys what he does.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For anyone else starting Budget Cuts 2, a quick bit advice; Don't eat every taco you see on the Rooftop level. Stash one in your inventory, because someone wants one a little ways on in the level and it'll save you backtracking/scouring every table to find one you didn't eat.

I know I'm a jerk, and aggressive and all those things.

But was that hard? That kind of moment, of loving up, is the kinda thing that can be really enjoyable. You punished yourself. But like, now its ruined. I'll never forget that.

Bummer man.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's VR, eat all the tacos and then just puke one of them up on the person who wants it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

I know I'm a jerk, and aggressive and all those things.

But was that hard? That kind of moment, of loving up, is the kinda thing that can be really enjoyable. You punished yourself. But like, now its ruined. I'll never forget that.

Bummer man.

I totally get not spoiling stuff, but the way the game's been for me so far makes it seem like there's half a chance you can actually brick your playthrough if you do eat them all.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Index aren't shipping til February now.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Trying to get into Boneworks but am finding my HP Reverb WMR tracking just that bit slow, cumbersome and innacurate enough that is frustrating. It makes me not want to do any actions that involve alot of movement. I miss my old Oculus, which always felt like a natural extension of your hands.

I have access to a Vive Pro, but I expect the wands will probably feel even worse.

Really tempted to buy myself a Quest and a Link for Christmas. Anyone using that with Boneworks and can comment?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was playing with wands and it was pretty okay.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I was playing Pistol Whip for good part of the evening, and while fun, it screams 'the sequel is where the game will shine'.

-I want to reload the weapon with the dead hand, so it feels more active.
-I want civilians/targets to avoid shooting.
-I want a pair more of enemy types. Maybe someone with a uzi able to do bursts, maybe another enemy that throws grenades that you can blow up in the air/redirect shooting them.
-I want alternating paths to choose in specific points, like in some light gun games.
-While the game has different scenarios, they feel very same-y, with just different decoration. Maybe they could do something like an airport assault, with planets taking off, or a bank heist, going through rooms and vaults.
-More weapons, obviously. Maybe a shotgun to blast enemies with prejudices.
-More optional modifiers, like random enemies (it would screw the music rhythm part of the game, I know, hence as an optional thing) would be nice.

I like Pistol Whip, but I do agree that more variety would be nice. You could have, like, a shotgun that you fire in time with the cymbals, or a machine gun that perfectly matches a bitching guitar solo.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 14, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

Trying to get into Boneworks but am finding my HP Reverb WMR tracking just that bit slow, cumbersome and innacurate enough that is frustrating. It makes me not want to do any actions that involve alot of movement. I miss my old Oculus, which always felt like a natural extension of your hands.

I have access to a Vive Pro, but I expect the wands will probably feel even worse.

Really tempted to buy myself a Quest and a Link for Christmas. Anyone using that with Boneworks and can comment?

Are you trying to collect them all with VR headsets or something? Oculus > Vive Pro > HP Reverb and now Quest? What a strange line.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Played the first real level of Boneworks. It took me two hours during which I couldn't save.

And at the end I forgot to put my guns in that stupid recycling thing.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Hellsau posted:

Are you trying to collect them all with VR headsets or something? Oculus > Vive Pro > HP Reverb and now Quest? What a strange line.

Heh. Yeah, it is. I work as a developer and have made a small number of VR apps, and we have had a rotating pool of various headsets for compatibility. (Well, just those three to be exact.) I also used to own the original DK2 test kits which is where I first got started in this space.

Occasionally I get to muck around with the headsets, like I am with the Reverb currently. It helps my situation to test and understand the various quirks of each. To date, I still think the original Rift gave the best VR experience, mostly based around the Touch controllers. (I have not tried the Index, S or Cosmos).

We're not doing any Quest development (Though I'd love the excuse one day) - So I'm keen to buy one myself, especially if the 'link' cable really does negate the need for a dedicated PC headset. (I'm skeptical it will work perfectly.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ShadowHawk posted:

Wait what? They don't carry over?

I've stopped playing and am waiting until the savegame patch.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

The only complaint I’ve had with quest link is that my cable is awkward due to not being right-angle at the headset, and also too short. Once the official cables come out and I rig it up hanging from the ceiling, i think it will be almost identical to using a Rift. I’ve been using it instead of an Index with a few games that don’t seem to work well with the Index controllers, and it’s good.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I started using Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR over wifi and once I opened up the router settings to 80hz or whatever, it's pretty drat close to perfect (or at least nearly indistinguishable to using Link with a cable). It takes some loving around to get Virtual Desktop installed, sideloading a special APK distributed by the developer, and so on.. but once you've got that set up, using my default Spectrum router, all is well. Boneworks worked great in my living room with no problem. Just gotta be on a 5ghz wifi signal, etc.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

ShadowHawk posted:

Played the first real level of Boneworks. It took me two hours during which I couldn't save.

My favourite part about the save thing is that when I take my headset off and leave my computer for a few hours without closing Boneworks, the game (or SteamVR?) will helpfully crash and discard all my progress lol

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

punished milkman posted:

My favourite part about the save thing is that when I take my headset off and leave my computer for a few hours without closing Boneworks, the game (or SteamVR?) will helpfully crash and discard all my progress lol

SteamVR turns off if not in use after a while iirc

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Vacation Simulator is much better than Job Simulator. Still, I would say 30€ is asking too much for it, but it will be a nice buy at 20€. JS was just a proof of concept of setting + interaction system. Vacation Simulator takes that and makes something closer to a game. In this case, a collecthaton/achievement hunting game, but one where it's fun to collect them. You do activities like skill minigames, puzzles, photos, painting, etc and it's all well integrated with exploration and some amusing humor. The locales are varied and pleasant to see and there is a ton of interactive poo poo, videogames you find for your console, customization options, etc.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Saving money til next week to buy an index...I hope I do not have to wait until March to get it I'm feenin.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

StabMasterArson posted:

SteamVR turns off if not in use after a while iirc

You can also customize the timeout settings for SteamVR, the hmd and the controllers in the dashboard under settings but the default settings are pretty ok

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

Heh. Yeah, it is. I work as a developer and have made a small number of VR apps, and we have had a rotating pool of various headsets for compatibility. (Well, just those three to be exact.) I also used to own the original DK2 test kits which is where I first got started in this space.

Occasionally I get to muck around with the headsets, like I am with the Reverb currently. It helps my situation to test and understand the various quirks of each. To date, I still think the original Rift gave the best VR experience, mostly based around the Touch controllers. (I have not tried the Index, S or Cosmos).

We're not doing any Quest development (Though I'd love the excuse one day) - So I'm keen to buy one myself, especially if the 'link' cable really does negate the need for a dedicated PC headset. (I'm skeptical it will work perfectly.)

dude get a quest what are you doing the quest is fuckin' awesome and playing without a wire is fantastic

the controllers are worse though because the original touch had nearly perfect ergonomics

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Anyone know how I would go about doing something like making a game treat my right trackpad like it's the left analog stick? I found the menu that lets me edit controls game by game, but it's fairly limited and only lets me make each trackpad simulate the analog stick that it's next to.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Pistol whip is a novel idea with absolutely terrible implementation and even worse music.

https://steamcharts.com/app/1079800#1m

It won't survive long, and it likely won't get a sequel. I don't see how they could have possibly recouped their cost unless something changes.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

counter point: pistol whip owns and they're releasing free dlc soon

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mean to be rude but I think you might just be bad at the game based on your posts in this thread. I think every song in the game has a 4/4 beat

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Unit24 posted:

Anyone know how I would go about doing something like making a game treat my right trackpad like it's the left analog stick? I found the menu that lets me edit controls game by game, but it's fairly limited and only lets me make each trackpad simulate the analog stick that it's next to.

Assuming this is on a Vive, is switching the hands you're holding the controllers in not an option?

Skyarb posted:

Pistol whip is a novel idea with absolutely terrible implementation and even worse music.

It won't survive long, and it likely won't get a sequel. I don't see how they could have possibly recouped their cost unless something changes.

Steamspy estimates 20-50k owners at $25 a pop. Certainly not a breakout success, but between that and the Oculus store I'd guess they've probably recouped their costs. This isn't their first VR game, I don't think it's likely that they threw millions at development since they would know as well as anybody that you don't make that kind of money back on VR games.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pistol Whip is also crossbuy, so I suspect everyone who owns a Quest, or owns a Rift (S) and might ever buy a Quest bought it on Oculus and not Steam.

Pistol Whip has its problems (the hitboxes are wonky, at least on the Quest) but it's a pretty good workout.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If nothing else, Pistol Whip reinforces my theory that if you wanna make a moderately successful VR game, make sure it vaguely has some kind of rhythm element

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

NRVNQSR posted:

Assuming this is on a Vive, is switching the hands you're holding the controllers in not an option?

I'm using index controllers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you used to be able to do stuff like that with OpenVR Input Emulator, idk if that still works or not though

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

Nah. The mod server isn’t chomping away workin on things. Nope. People hate this game.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
^^^ People can mod games all they want regardless

homeless snail posted:

If nothing else, Pistol Whip reinforces my theory that if you wanna make a moderately successful VR game, make sure it vaguely has some kind of rhythm element

Agreed. People like rhythm games. But pistol whip will fall into the same exact bin as all the other vr rhythm games. Remeber audio shield? audica? synth riders? Sound boxing? All fine, relatively cute experiences with no staying power.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pistol Whip has WAY higher production values than Audioshield or Soundboxing

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Can any PCVR user with a RX 5700 XT comment on its stability as of late, particularly since 19.9.3 driver update? My refurbished RTX 2070 lasted about a week and I'd much rather go with the cheaper option instead of a 2070 Super but I'm at my limit in dealing with unstable GPUs currently (and I've only ever had nVidia cards blow up on me :argh:)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pistol Whip's soundtrack is OK at best. I could do without at least half of it. What it does need however the very least is custom songs/maps. If it had that, I'd be playing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pistol Whip's soundtrack is OK at best. I could do without at least half of it. What it does need however the very least is custom songs/maps. If it had that, I'd be playing more.

Totally personal opinion. I love the soundtrack. Very good murder music.

Good news though. Song replacements are a thing currently (Same scenes sadly but hey). Theres playlists, people have worked out BPM and stuff on so they feel right. etc.

Its all coming. But the games taking some work to backdoor some stuff into. Plus the scenes are really complex.

Hellsau posted:

Pistol Whip has WAY higher production values than Audioshield or Soundboxing

Agreed. Its also a game for gamers by gamers.

Skyarb posted:

^^^ People can mod games all they want regardless

Not when devs actively work against it, Which cloudhead is not. In fact, devs are in said mod discord answering questions.