Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You're right, actually. It's difficult to keep track of all the scheming haha

When does Rand get Justice, and what happened to the sword Aviendha gave him? Or are they the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're right, actually. It's difficult to keep track of all the scheming haha

When does Rand get Justice, and what happened to the sword Aviendha gave him? Or are they the same?

He gets it off-screen prior to TGS.

Aviendha's gift was King Laman's I think. Probably blown up in one of his very very many mishaps. Or maybe he never really used it? IIRC it's not an actual power-wrought weapon and by then Rand would be far more likely to blow you up than actually fight blade to blade.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 13, 2019

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He gets it off-screen prior to TGS.

Aviendha's gift was King Laman's I think. Probably blown up in one of his very very many mishaps. Or maybe he never really used it? IIRC it's not an actual power-wrought weapon and by then Rand would be far more likely to blow you up than actually fight blade to blade.

I distinctly remember her getting mad/confused because he took the power-wrought blade off and gave the gem encrusted hilt back to her.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Colonel Cool posted:

I distinctly remember her getting mad/confused because he took the power-wrought blade off and gave the gem encrusted hilt back to her.

Oh yeah, he kept the blade, but she was mad because in her mind, giving him the whole thing cleared her toh towards him, so the fact that he turned it back around and gave her the actual valuable bits of the thing in a way she could not reject made it worse for her.

Anyway that's why she's mad, and perhaps the blade itself is power-wrought? But I don't think Rand does any notable fighting with it, just dueling and keeping up with practice.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's definitely power wrought, and he was asked "why the gently caress are you wearing a sword, is it so you can go duel couladin that's dumb you're dumb"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wetlanders, am i rite??

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just finished that book, Laman's sword was power wrought and, while I haven't hit Dumais well's yet, I'm pretty sure he loses it there along with the other stuff they took from him.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Laman’s sword was there, sitting atop a neat pile of mixed clothing. Alivia apparently hadn’t known what he would want to wear. She had been the one to leave these things, of course, along with a bag of coins from a variety of nations. She hadn’t ever cared much for either clothing or coin, but she had known he’d need both."

Laman's sword makes it all the way to the end. Rand is wearing it as he rides off into the sunset.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I always thought Lamans sword was a cool detail. Cracking off all of the gilt and jewels, and replacing with a simple, effective boar-hide grip was very in character.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
let's say you were trying to create a religion around these "sacred texts". how would you arrange them? would you treat the sanderson books as apocrypha and excise them, rewrite the ending to your own..ends? is he another Prophet like Jordan, or was The Creator's spirit in him? I guess you could do The Book of Mat, etc. and cobble together narratives for each major and semimajor figure so the good people can read the stories and learn the lessons. it would be cool poetry of fate if a set of the WoT books survived some sort of global catastrophe and became the holy texts for the world's new religion.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 14, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Brolander posted:

let's say you were trying to create a religion around these "sacred texts". how would you arrange them? would you treat the sanderson books as apocrypha and excise them, rewrite the ending to your own..ends? or he another Prophet like Jordan, or was The Creator's spirit in him? I guess you could do The Book of Mat, etc. and cobble together narratives for each major and semimajor figure so the good people can read the stories and learn the lessons. it would be cool poetry of fate if a set of the WoT books survived some sort of global catastrophe and became the holy texts for the world's new religion.

They've certainly got the 'spare the rod...' part down.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Lord Bude posted:

They've certainly got the 'spare the rod...' part down.

And lo, did Mat basically become a sexual slave for a Powerful MILF. It seemed bad at the time but late after she was brutally murdered he realized it was super awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No no no, he realized it shortly before, as he was making it easier for that to happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://www.valyriansteel.com/2019/12/13/new-license-for-the-wheel-of-time/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

1:1 choedan kal replica.

e:

like, obviously, the twisty stone ring

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 14, 2019

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Where's my fat man angreal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I want a replica of Perrin's hammer.

That is, the one the blacksmith gave him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are there any official images of the way the armor and stuff is supposed to look from the books?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Invalid Validation posted:

Are there any official images of the way the armor and stuff is supposed to look from the books?

This thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_of_Robert_Jordan%27s_The_Wheel_of_Time but it's known as "The Big Book of Bad Art" for a reason.

The answer might as well be 'Nope'.

So Sony/Amazon/etc's production design team will have the first stab at creating a look for the world of WoT.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

If you can find photos of the old Museum Replicas swords etc., those were Jordan approved. There were a lot of heron mark blades sold but there were also models for perrins'axe and mate's dagger.

Edit found a link : https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/wheel-of-time-props.155977/post-2393520

That said, I think of the dagger has having much more of a curve, almost circular, like the chapter icon.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 14, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you can find photos of the old Museum Replicas swords etc., those were Jordan approved. There were a lot of heron mark blades sold but there were also models for perrins'axe and mate's dagger.

Edit found a link : https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/wheel-of-time-props.155977/post-2393520

Oh hell yeah, we might get another stab at the Asha'man pin set https://www.museumreplicas.com/the-wheel-of-time-pin-set

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did anyone in the series ever use a shield?

e: as in an actual physical piece of wood to stop sharp bits of metal from going into their body

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bloom posted:

e: as in an actual physical piece of wood to stop sharp bits of metal from going into their body

Like, every Aiel warrior runs around with a hide buckler and their brace of short spears.

I think some of the Seanchan legions have big ole shields, too.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
A buckler isn't a real shield :colbert:

Yeah, somehow I forgot all about the aiel. It's still kinda silly that the most noteworthy shield users are the people who fight as skirmishers instead of in formation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The legion of the dragon is expressly trained with pavise and crossbow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That saldaen sword is weird, the blade curves inward, i thought calvery swords would have a more scimitar curve towards them

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I thought somebody had those south-east asian wavy bladed swords. Those are neat looking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The legion of the dragon is expressly trained with pavise and crossbow.

drat how did I forget them. Being that it was Mat's idea, I think some units of the Band of the Red Hand did the same.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

How are u posted:

I thought somebody had those south-east asian wavy bladed swords. Those are neat looking.

I always imagined that Gaidal Cane has two wavy swords across his back, for some reason.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bloom posted:

i think it was implied that a lot of infantry do, the main characters not so much because they all have their own styles involving two handed weapons

OR AT LEAST MOST OF THEM DO

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the whole Logain being a false dragon encouraged by the red ajah was all a lie Suian made up, right?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

Hey, the whole Logain being a false dragon encouraged by the red ajah was all a lie Suian made up, right?

Not true of Logain but enough winking and nudging to suggest that it has happened before.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bloom posted:

In addition to the Aiel bucklers and the Legion pavises mentioned, only some Seanchan infantry and Agelmar Jagad had shields. RJ wanted most of the armies to resemble 17th c. European armies sans boomsticks, and 17th c. European armies didn't use shields anymore. There's no real logic behind the weapons or armors the different nations use, or how those weapons would haved fared against each other, the only thing that mattered was what the author thought was cool. Of all the faults in the books, imo this is one of the least.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bloom posted:

Actually yes! Gawyn uses one in AMOL

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Why fuss over weapons when you could have Sea Folk porcelain?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why fuss over weapons when you can blender and entire army with saidin?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Why fuss over weapons when you can blender and entire army with saidin?

The entire idea of the battle at shayol ghul is comical given the feats of channeling performed elsewhere in the books. Like, just level the pass with lava from 40,000 feet for a week. Then dump an ocean on it.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So I am way behind on this thread, but I am also rereading the books, and I saw a few things come up.

Nynaeve does use her ability to sense those she healed at least once more, she can tell Perrin is in the whitecloak camp in book 1.

Also I think the disjointed narrative of Mat and Rand's escape from whitebridge is intentional. The effect is supposed to represent how confused and tired they are, they even mention they feel like time isn't working right. Anyone who has been up a couple days doing physical or mental labour can probably relate. It happened a few times to me in the army. Whether or not it was effective is another matter, but I was definitely like "ohhhhhhhhh" when scarf farmer introduces himself at the end of it.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Also I am finding it funny how Rand thinks Perrin has some great mysterious skill with the ladies.

However in reality Perrin just seems to treat them as normal people instead of these mysterious objects.

Maybe it is just because Rand grew up alone with his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SerCypher posted:

Also I am finding it funny how Rand thinks Perrin has some great mysterious skill with the ladies.

Don't each of [Rand, Mat, Perrin] each think [the other two] have great mysterious skill with the ladies to the point of running joke?