Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Greater Grail.

The immortal wish granter sought by every mage throughout history.

Stolen following the Third Holy Grail War in Fuyuki, it remained missing for 60 years. Hidden away as the world moved on and its legend began to fade back into Myth.

That is until today.

The day when it resurfaced in the European country of Romania.

Now Mages from all over the world prepare as two sides form to take the grail.

The first, the Mages' Association. The premiere collective of magi from across the planet. With exacting standards their forces are well trained and ready to strike, but many have been caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the grail. Still, one of the greatest mages alive and Ruler in the third war has been summoned to battle. Shirou Kotomine (aka Monathin) will Captain the Forces of Red.

The second, the forces of Yggdmillennia. These mages have broken away from the Mages' Association. Furious at being held down they are more numerous and whilst some would not have met the Standards of the Mages Association, they have been preparing for this war for years. They have summoned the holy maiden, Jeanne D'arc (aka Snooze Cruise) to fight at their side and Captain the Forces of Black to victory.

What comes is the greatest battle the world has seen. There will be happiness, anger, sadness, betrayal. Some will rise as heroes, some will fall as pariahs.

But the question is, how much sacrifice, how much blood, the Grail demands?

Regardless of the answer. It will have its fill.

Part 1 - Organisation and General Mafia Rules

Hello everyone and welcome to Fate Mafia: Soldiers, a mafia game for 42 people split across 2 teams and 2 threads, with 2 team captains. As you might imagine the rules for this game are a little more complex than a normal mafia game, but I'm confident that it'll be accessible and fun for those with no experience and challenging for those with plenty.

The game will be run primarily through the game threads here and here on the forums. Out of thread communication will be handled through discord, at the discord server here.

I'd appreciate when you sign up that you also confirm that you've joined the server and submit your discord ID, either here in thread or to me via PM. When you join discord you will land in a void. I'll be able to see who's there and when you're confirmed in the thread you'll gain access to the pregame chat channel.

Your moderators for this game will be myself alongside the wonderful Bifauxnen.

If you have questions or queries, please feel free to get in touch with either of us. I will be the main point of call for mechanical questions and with your consent I'll be keeping a list of all the decisions I make for reference later.

Otherwise we're both very happy to hear your thoughts, either through discord or through PM on the forums.

Beyond that, standard mafia rules will be in effect, with nuances and exceptions for the nature of the game that will be expanded upon in the rules below.

Additionally, my own mafia rules will also be in effect:

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. Don't edit your posts.
3. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo.
4. Feel free to post after the hammer/during twilight about non-game stuff.
5. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are backed by elaborate fakeclaims. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.
6. No replacements after D2.
7. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
8. Don't fake day actions.
9. If you are affected by a Day Action, do not post under any circumstances until we post the result of the Action. Everyone else is good to keep going.
10. There are no cults or cult mechanics in this game.
11. No codes, or encoding stuff in images.

A note about result language

1. A result that successfully targets will yield the result. ""You successfully x your target""
2. A result that does not successfully target will yield the result. ""Your action fails.""
3. If a player name is ever mentioned as part of a result, this is a mod error.
4. A ""successful"" target is defined as an ability resolving on someone. This does not have to be the intended target, so a redirected result will yield the same language as a result that has not been redirected.

As a final aside, this will be the last game of mafia that I moderate or play. So if you're nostalgic for the brand of madness that only comes through my incredibly warped mind then please sign up and enjoy one last ride."

Signups:
  1. 2 penny bottle imp
  2. 50 pounds of bread
  3. A Sometimes Food
  4. Amnistar
  5. Anidav
  6. b-minus1
  7. Bernstrike
  8. CCKeane
  9. chaoslord
  10. dmboogie
  11. GenericGirlName
  12. Hal Incandenza
  13. hambeet
  14. Hunt11
  15. IcePhoenix
  16. IllegallySober
  17. Irony Be My Shield
  18. Jonathan Fisk
  19. Kashuno
  20. King Burgundy
  21. Lux Animus
  22. Max
  23. MegaZeroX
  24. Mithross
  25. Monathin
  26. Mr. Humalong
  27. Mr. Steak
  28. Murmur Twin
  29. Nep-Nep
  30. Podima
  31. Quidthulhu
  32. Ruggan
  33. SalTheBard
  34. Sandwolf
  35. Snooze Cruise
  36. SolusLunes
  37. The Lord of Hats
  38. The Ninth Layer
  39. tithin
  40. Toalpaz
  41. Tommu
  42. xiw

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Part 2 - Soldier Game Specific Rules and Structure

A soldiers game is a mafia game with two teams. Each team is captained by a player who is confirmed town and who may not be nightkilled. Each team has their own thread and may only communicate within their thread.

The Team Captains are:

Monathin - As Shiro Kotomine - Ruler of Red and Captain of the Red Faction.

Snooze Cruise - As Jeanne D'arc - Ruler of Black and Captain of the Black Faction.

Pregame

Captains will draft their teams in a 1-2xxxx-2-1 draft before the game starts alongside their abilities, similarly in a 1-2xxxx2-1 draft.

The captains will pick two players to be their advisors. These players willl be granted a masonry with their team captain and be able to offer private advice. However, these players might also be scum.

Captains will choose the lurking rules they wish to implement for their threads from a list of choices made available to them.

Finally Captains may choose to make an address in the OP of their respective team thread ahead of the game.

Day

Threads open marking the beginning of the day.

Teams will play a game of mafia as normal during the day, trying to find scum players and vote them out.

Scum players in a soldiers game represent spies sent from the other team. A soldiers game therefore plays out like a race. The team that is faster to remove their scum elements will be at an advantage.

Before the Day's end the captains will nominate the players they wish to send to combat.

If a day would end in a no lunch, then the OTHER team's captain may choose the lunch target instead.

Night

Night will look different to that of a normal mafia game.

Pre-Combat

5 players, nominated by their captain will go to "Fight" on a battlefield for their team. These nominated players will use battle abilities to deal damage to each other, or if they are scum, undermine their own side.

A pre-combat map will be posted, displaying the expected status of the forthcoming battle.

All characters may submit "Pre-Combat" actions if they are available. Once the deadline has passed, these will be processed and we will move to the combat phase.

Threads remain open for conversation during Pre-Combat.

Combat

Threads are closed.

A finalised combat map will be posted, displaying the final status of all combatants in the forthcoming battle.

The players on each side will fight each other for supremacy, using what combat abilities they have available to hurt the other side. The winning team is the team that

a) Kills the most opponents.
b) If the above is a tie, deals the most damage.
c) If the above is a tie, has higher total HP at the end of the battle.
d) If the above is a tie, the battle is declared a tie.

The winning team progresses a space forward on the battlefield board, moving closer to their opponent's HQ.

The players outside of combat will submit night actions as they normally would in a mafia game, with a standard night kill being part of scum's arsenal.

Once a night has been resolved there is a brief twilight phase where the team captains may send a short message to their scum teams and talk poo poo at each other in the captains discord channel.

Threads will then reopen, starting the new day.

Victory

A soldier's game is won or lost when either one team wins a victory on its opponent's HQ or a team's captain dies in combat.

Part 3 - Fate Specific Rules

All non captain players form teams of one Master and one Servant. Masters and their corresponding Servants share a channel for private communication. These are unconfirmed, so even though you might be a town player, your Servant or Master might be a scum player.

Masters and Servants are linked, with Masters anchoring their Servants to the world. These rules are therefore in affect:

1. If a Master dies, their corresponding Servant also dies, unless that Servant is of the Archer Class or there is another live master with command seals without a servant available.

2. If a Master uses all their command seals, their corresponding Servant dies, unless there is a live master with command seals and without a servant available.

3. If a Master dies and their Servant contracts with a new Master, a new masonry channel is opened for the two characters.

4. If there are multiple servants available with fewer available masters, the servants that continue to live and die will be determined by RNG.

Stats

Every player in the game will have a variety of stats that determine the power of their attacks (Phys and Mag), their speed (Spd), or their overall health (HP). These will vary from player to player based on the power of their role and the power of their abilities. All characters will have Melee and Ranged attacks. The stronger of these attacks will be based on the primary attacking attribute a character has, the weaker, on the secondary attacking attribute the character has.

Phys aka Strength - A stat that governs how hard you hit with Physical Attacks.
Magic - A stat that governs how hard you hit with magical attacks.
Speed - A stat that governs the order in which you attack. Higher speed characters will resolve their actions in combat before lower speed characters. 5 speed is the maximum speed, 1 speed is the lowest speed.
HP - A stat that governs your health. If this hits 0 you die.

Player Types

Master

Less powerful in combat, more powerful out of combat. May spend command seals to activate powerful Noble Phantasm attacks with their servants.

Special Ability: Command Seals.

All masters start the game with 3 command seals. They have these potential uses:

1. A command seal may be used as a pre-combat Night Action to activate a Servant's Noble Phantasm.

2. A command seal may be used on Reaction to the death of a servant in combat to withdraw that servant at 1hp.

3. A command seal may be used as a non-combat Night Action to heal a Servant's HP to full as long as they are not in combat."

Servant

Powerful in combat, limited out of combat abilities. Relies on Master to unlock Noble Phantasms, tremendously powerful and skills and abilities. Servants come in one of seven classes whose abilities as well as strengths are noted below.

Classes

**ASSASSIN ADDENDUM** ASSASSINS CAN BREAK COLUMN RESTRICTIONS WITH THEIR ATTACKS AS WELL.

Additionally both captains belong to the Ruler Class.

On Numbers

As you can imagine lots of information in this game is conveyed by numbers. It would very quickly spoil the game if the exact specifics of these were shared. To that extent, numbers related to stats or damage should NOT be relayed in the game threads at all.

e.g. I can do a lot of damage in melee! Good

I can do 5 damage in melee! Bad

However, you are free to communicate these numbers with people that you are in a masonry with.

So put simply: Numbers in Discord Good!

Numbers in SA Threads Bad!

Part 4 - Battle Map and Combat Rules

Deployment

Captains select 5 players at the end of the day, following the flip. Captains must place their players in by assigning them a Row and a Column. Captains must start by placing a player in Row 3. All subsequent player placements must be adjacent to another player. There must be at least one player in each column.

Pre-Combat

Players and captains are given a short window to declare any Pre-Combat abilities in this phase. These abilities typically, buff, debuff or alter the battlefield composition in some way.

Combat

Players declare their attacks by targeting a Row or Column.

Column 1: Town players in Column 1 may only attack players in the opposing Column 1 with melee attacks. They may attack players in Column 2 with ranged attacks.

Column 2: Town players in Column 2 may only attack players in Column 1. They must use ranged attacks to do so.

Scum follow their own targetting rules.

Battlefields

Part 5 - Miscellaneous and Background.

Flavour Sources

If you want to know more about the flavour of this game, it leans very heavily on Fate: Apocrypha which can easily be viewed on Netflix.

The game is completely playable without flavour and flavour will be tremendously limited in the amount it will help teams.

The game additionally draws on:

Fate Stay Night
Fate Zero
Fate Strange Fake
Fate Extra
Fate Grand Order.

These provide very limited additions to the game and are certainly not required to play but are still fun enough to investigate on your own.

Beyond that, thanks very much for getting through this and I hope you enjoy the game! Also, given we need 42 signups, I'd strongly encourage you to get anyone and everyone you know to sign up!

Timing

The aim is for this game to run in the first week of the new year. That makes game start January 6th 2020 or whenever we get full signups, whichever comes second.

Days will be 48 hours, precombat will be 16 hours and combat will be 20 hours. In practice, this will give us a 4 day cycle.

Changelog

v1.0 - release version - please feedback if you have any questions!
v1.1 - Corrected for a clarification on Assassin targeting powers.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
JOIN ON THIS DISCORD, TELL ME WHEN YOU HAVE HERE WITH YOUR DISCORD ID

https://discord.gg/dusrYS4

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 15, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Example

1. Introduction
2. Day 1 - A Non-Combat Day
3. Day 2. - A Combat Day with no Noble Phantasm
4. Day 3 - A Combat Day with a Noble Phantasm.

1. Introduction

I am Bifauxnen, I am playing the Servant, Francis Drake. My Master is Sakura Matou, played by Minifauxnen.

I have a these stats: (These do not represent average stats in the game, apart from speed which, being on a scale of 1-5 is necessarily average)

Phys 3
Mag 3
Spd 3
HP 6

I have a Pre-Combat ability, Drake's Rum, which allows me to get drunk during precombat.
I have a Non-Combat ability, Drake's Tactics, which lets me track a player.
I have a Combat Noble Phantasm, Drake's Fleet, which allows me to hit everyone on the opposing side in combat for 1 damage.

2. Day 1 - A Day where you do not go to combat

During Day 1, I and my thread play a game of mafia as normal. Our team realises that Nat20, the ever nefarious is scum and we vote him out.

Day 1 ends in a Nat20 execution and a flip displaying that of course, he was scum.

As Day 1 ended my team Captain, Australia chose for me not to go to combat.

Day 1 Ends, Night 1 Precombat Begins

At the beginning of precombat I will see something like the above, indicating the players going to combat.

During Night 1 Precombat, I use my Precombat ability, Drake's rum and get drunk.

I submit this on my character sheet in CELL C26 - Night 1 Precombat.

Night 1 Precombat Ends, Night 1 Begins

Confirmed final teams are shown and here, I see that nothing has changed.

During Night 1, I submit a Non-combat ability, Drake's Tactics, to track Natural 19, in Cell C27

A person dies in the battle on the Black team, meaning that the Red Team are declared the winners and so they advance a square from Bucharest to Trifas.

Night 1 Ends, Day 2 Begins

3. Day 2 - A Combat Day with No Noble Phantasm

During Day 2, I and my thread play our game, we vote out Natural 5, who is unfortunately town!

Captain Australia choose me for combat today!

Precombat 2

As you can see, I am in Row 3, Front Column on the BLACK team. (Highlighted in Green)

Because Red lost the last battle you can see here that we are now Fighting on the TRIFAS battlefield. (In the top left)

During Precombat 2, I use my Precombat ability, Drake's Rum and get drunk.

I submit this on my character sheet in CELL C29

Combat 2

Confirmed final teams are shown here. Once again I see nothing has changed.

During Night 2, I need to submit a COMBAT night action.

As I am in the Front Column (Column 1, use interchangeably) , I can target enemies in RED Front Column with my MELEE attack.

I can target enemies in RED Back Column with my RANGED attack. (If I submitted a ranged attack here, its power would be reduced by 1 due to Trifas' winding streets)

I submit the action "Melee attack, Natural 1, Front Column, Row 3" in Cell C31

It is PREFERABLE that combat actions be submitted with a clear indication of the Player, the row and the column that they are in. However, the moderation team can operate purely from a player name in most cases.

Most importantly. PLEASE ENSURE YOU SUBMIT COMBAT ACTIONS IN THE COMBAT ACTION ROW AND NON-COMBAT ACTIONS IN THE NON-COMBAT ROW.

I am uninjured in combat and the combat ends as a draw! (Somehow, despite the really ridiculous criteria needed for a draw)

I am told by the moderator "Your action succeeds" as I was able to hit a target. Or "Your action fails" if somehow I was not able to hit a target.

This means the Battlefield remains the same for the next battle!

The day moves on to Day 3.

4. Day 3 - A Combat Day with a Noble Phantasm Activation

During Day 3, our team lunches Natural 4, who is also town!

Once again, Captain Australia submits me for combat!

Precombat 3

During Precombat 3, I talk with Minifauxnen who agrees to use a command seal to activate my NOBLE PHANTASM, Drake's Fleet.

Because the last battle was a draw, we once again fight on the TRIFAS battleground.

During Precombat 2, I use my Precombat ability, Drake's Rum and get drunk.

I submit this on my character sheet in CELL C32

Combat 3

Again, nothing has changed here.

I see from my Precombat results that my Noble Phantasm is active! (The result will read "Your Noble Phantasm is Active")

If for some reason Mini had not activated my Phantasm, I would only see my results and there would be no AFFIRMATIVE CONFIRMATION that my noble phantasm is active.

I submit "Use Noble Phantasm, Drake's Fleet" in Cell C34

Because Drake's Fleet targets all opponents, I do not have to specify a target for the ability here. If my noble phantasm was SINGLE TARGET, it would follow the same targeting syntax as a normal attack.

My Phantasm resolves and I receive a message saying that "Your Noble Phantasm activated successfully", someone on Black dies and Red wins the battle, moving forward another space on the Board to Yggdmillenia Castle

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 5, 2020

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'll observe

I'd play but WoW 8.3 is coming out around then and I'm hopelessly addicted

Jen X fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 15, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why of COURSE i'll enter my 5th concurrent mafia game. why wouldnt i??

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

why of COURSE i'll enter my 5th concurrent mafia game. why wouldnt i??

relax its not starting for a while lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
want me to shill this game in my neet thread next time i update? i feel we may need it

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Uhh can I just play this like mafia?

I’m down

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mr. Steak posted:

want me to shill this game in my neet thread next time i update? i feel we may need it

Go for it!

Sandwolf posted:

Uhh can I just play this like mafia?

I’m down

Soldiers at its core is a mafia game like any other. It's about finding scum and winning with your team. It just has a fun side game that makes it more engaging for people coming into mafia fresh or those wanting a new spin.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 15, 2019

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Ya.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In!

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Im in provided i am on a team with steak and binus

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hello i am team good guys

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

put me in boss

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hmm I dunno, maybe I should just observe this onhahahahaha.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Monathin posted:

Hmm I dunno, maybe I should just observe this onhahahahaha.

what a creep...

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

In all seriousness I am STOKED for this and will do my level best to try and defeat the dastardly Snooze C. Ruse with the help of players like YOU.

Yes, you! The one reading this post RIGHT NOW!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I, toalpaz, will play mafia for the first time ever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
There is a lot of text here I didn’t look at sign me up as a leader

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I would like to play in this game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

I'll follow

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I followed Mr. Steak's link for this from the neet comic thread, thanks Mr. Steak for making me aware of this.

I'm in.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Sign me up

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Do not put me on the same team as this non-reading filth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Podima posted:

Do not put me on the same team as this non-reading filth.

no do

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This sounds crazy, I'd love to play.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Aloha, and mahalo. :wave:

Out of the handful of Mafia games I've played, one was Natural 20's Fate/stay night Mafia and the other was Podima's Shine V Soldiers Mafia, so even though I'm neither good nor experienced at Mafia, I do believe this game will a good fit for me!

A Sometimes Food posted:

This sounds crazy, I'd love to play.
I'd expect to see some role madness, yes.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Put me in a masonry with SalTheBard plz

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’m sad that this will be your last game, nat20. :( I have enjoying playing in every one of your games.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Last game? Well I guess I have to play then

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

b-minus1 posted:

I’m sad that this will be your last game, nat20. :(

https://tubedubber.com/?q=3AbSakCEqRY:xGytDsqkQY8:0:100:0:18:1

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
This will be the last game i only post with rotating capital letters

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

b-minus1 posted:

Sign me up

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I hope I understand this one~

Put me in!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If you're signing up, please join the discord already! Then we can make sure we got everyone accounted for and properly nicknamed in the server.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here because apparently bif thinks its a good idea to make us search for the link within the novel of an OP

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mr. Steak posted:

here because apparently bif thinks its a good idea to make us search for the link within the novel of an OP

the twist ending is that it's also in the next post after the OP :sun:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm actually stunned to say that we're at 19 signups already. Good work getting people in here!

Please mention this to people you know who might be interested! Despite the rather lengthy rules, it's actually a pretty newbie friendly way to pick up mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Natural 20 posted:

I'm actually stunned to say that we're at 19 signups already. Good work getting people in here!

Please mention this to people you know who might be interested! Despite the rather lengthy rules, it's actually a pretty newbie friendly way to pick up mafia.

I actually got into Mafia through Shine V back when Pod ran it and look at me now! A disgrace to society!

Join the game and be a hero.