Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In Dishonored, I liked playing really stealthily and non lethally until the final section then turning into a murderous vengeance monster for the last levels.

I loved the idea of being a total ghost then terrifying everyone being all up in their face and unstoppable like a Predator for the denouement

The best part is if you play that way Havelock has already poisoned the other two main baddies and written a confession for his crimes and figures you're gonna show up any minute and doesn't even want to fight you when you do appear as expected because he knows he won't win. Naturally the game gives you a way to provoke him to fight you in an honest sword duel OR you can use the five billion violent tools at your disposal to turn him into mincemeat while he's still moping around and non-hostile. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The game will also leave your face off wanted posters for as long as you stay un-spotted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think one of my favorite "woah they planned for that" moments is in the 'average chaos' version of the final mission. The baddies have all turned on each other because of course, and one is leading his army of corrupt officers to assault the keep. He's giving them a speech when one of his fellow conspirators pops out of a blown-up tower wall to snidely insult him from on high. They trade words for a while, giving you a good opportunity to say gently caress it to the stealth and take one of them out. The obvious choice is the officer since he's wide open, but if you manage a real tricky potshot on the other guy instead it doesn't break stealth even though you killed him right in front of like literally 25 people. He turns around to his men and berates them angrily because he thinks one of them fired prematurely.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Olive! posted:

Shovel Knight: King of Cards is a Wario Land game.

I didn't know it was out and I didn't know I wanted to play it badly

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

King of Cards posted:

Play as King Knight, the gilded goon himself
:aaaaa:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In Dishonored, I liked playing really stealthily and non lethally until the final section then turning into a murderous vengeance monster for the last levels.

I loved the idea of being a total ghost then terrifying everyone being all up in their face and unstoppable like a Predator for the denouement

Because Dishonored 2 opens with a massive betrayal and a whole bunch of people you know being brutally murdered, I felt it appropriate for Elizabeth to fight her way out of the city killing every traitor she met. Then I went completely non-lethal and it took until shortly before I caught up with Vincent D'onofrio for her to stop groaning about being a horrible murderer.

"How many people in Karnaka have I killed?" she says to a dead mosquito monster in a display case, to which I said, "None, Liz. You've killed none people in Karnaka."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

I think one of my favorite "woah they planned for that" moments is in the 'average chaos' version of the final mission. The baddies have all turned on each other because of course, and one is leading his army of corrupt officers to assault the keep. He's giving them a speech when one of his fellow conspirators pops out of a blown-up tower wall to snidely insult him from on high. They trade words for a while, giving you a good opportunity to say gently caress it to the stealth and take one of them out. The obvious choice is the officer since he's wide open, but if you manage a real tricky potshot on the other guy instead it doesn't break stealth even though you killed him right in front of like literally 25 people. He turns around to his men and berates them angrily because he thinks one of them fired prematurely.

I had no idea this could play out this way lol, I thought it was either just low or high

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

marshmallow creep posted:

Because Dishonored 2 opens with a massive betrayal and a whole bunch of people you know being brutally murdered, I felt it appropriate for Elizabeth to fight her way out of the city killing every traitor she met. Then I went completely non-lethal and it took until shortly before I caught up with Vincent D'onofrio for her to stop groaning about being a horrible murderer.

"How many people in Karnaka have I killed?" she says to a dead mosquito monster in a display case, to which I said, "None, Liz. You've killed none people in Karnaka."

It's still a valid question :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Never heard that as Corvo. I think Elizabeth was referring more to the way she completely hosed up as queen.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Elizabeth is in Bioshock. Dishonored has Emily.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Remar also made Hero Core, perhaps my favorite indie metroidvania. Obviously an extremely subjective stance, but hey, I loved it.

:hai:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Kennel posted:

Elizabeth is in Bioshock. Dishonored has Emily.

Yeah, but what if Emily is one of the Alternate Universe Elizabeths, mm? They both do portal stuff in steampunkish environments.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

As you go more high chaos your characters thoughts and comments become more violent. The problem is, it's quite over the top. You can justifiably kill the guards who are busy couping you, and then you become a lovely slasher villain.

*looks at vice* "I wish I could use this to crush Delilah's skull"

*looks at multi-armed statue* "I wish I had eight arms, to strangle Delilah with"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah the diary entries even after the very first mission are already like I AM BECOME DEATH and it just seems wrong to suddenly go nonlethal after that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My experience of playing Dishonored 2 as Emily was trying to dispatch guards with all her nonlethal abilities, then accidentally killing them anyway. Which was probably the most thematically appropriate.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I bought Inquisitor: Martyr cause it was on sale for 15 bux and figured i could kill a few hours with a Diablo-clone.

Im to about 20th lvl, and so far its hit a lot of the right notes. Skills are attached to weapons, and its been fun trying all the combos. The beginning game is top-notch, you really have to use tactics. There will be trench lines with heavy weapons and a frontal assault insta-gibs you. You have to find another route, chain-pull, and mix shields or grenades to break the line. Champions and bosses require a lot of stick and move. Im playing a gunner, cant wait to try out some of the melee classes.

Only issue is I keep playing the harder missions, and the older missions turn into cake-walks, so I’m just skipping them and staying on the bleeding edge.

I really feel like the developers tried to find ways to make a Diablo-clone as different as possible. If this game had hard-core it would be a contender for my GOTY.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

I bought Inquisitor: Martyr cause it was on sale for 15 bux and figured i could kill a few hours with a Diablo-clone.

Im to about 20th lvl, and so far its hit a lot of the right notes. Skills are attached to weapons, and its been fun trying all the combos. The beginning game is top-notch, you really have to use tactics. There will be trench lines with heavy weapons and a frontal assault insta-gibs you. You have to find another route, chain-pull, and mix shields or grenades to break the line. Champions and bosses require a lot of stick and move. Im playing a gunner, cant wait to try out some of the melee classes.

Only issue is I keep playing the harder missions, and the older missions turn into cake-walks, so I’m just skipping them and staying on the bleeding edge.

I really feel like the developers tried to find ways to make a Diablo-clone as different as possible. If this game had hard-core it would be a contender for my GOTY.

Couldn't you just reroll whenever you die if you want that experience?

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Couldn't you just reroll whenever you die if you want that experience?

Well I suppose, but it would have that experience of dealing with rage when you go LD or pick the wrong fight and lose a 100+ hour toon, haha.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a silly one but I'm trying again playing GTA 3 as I never got too far in any of the games except San Andreas (and even that one I only got to the second area) and I like in the first car bomb mission with the diner the sign advertising it says "Eat until you explode!" It's a cute gag that's not trying too hard to be edgy (Unlike the dumb Fudge Packers billboard)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you didn’t start by trying to be non lethal and never seen and get increasingly frustrated to the point where you just ended up murdering everyone you weren’t doing it right

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That post was probably talking about dishonored

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a silly one but I'm trying again playing GTA 3 as I never got too far in any of the games except San Andreas (and even that one I only got to the second area) and I like in the first car bomb mission with the diner the sign advertising it says "Eat until you explode!" It's a cute gag that's not trying too hard to be edgy (Unlike the dumb Fudge Packers billboard)

I think you have found the only understated gag in all of GTA

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished Disco Elysium. My degree in cryptozoology really paid off.

And I never found my loving gun.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think you have found the only understated gag in all of GTA

Can you call it understated if the sign takes 1/4 of the screen during the cut scene?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

oldpainless posted:

If you didn’t start by trying to be non lethal and never seen and get increasingly frustrated to the point where you just ended up murdering everyone you weren’t doing it right

I like to imagine this in response to bioench-

oldpainless posted:

That post was probably talking about dishonored

oh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also even though the bosses in GTA 3 are awful people they aren't meant to be liked by the main character so they are less frustrating than Nico and CJ's garbage families. SWEET AND ROMAN ARE PIECES OF poo poo, SEVER YOU IDIOTS! The games would be so much less frustrating if Curtis was just like "Sweet, next time you end up in prison, you are loving WALKING home. In the meantime, I'm giving our sister away at her wedding to the chill spanish dude, we're all tight." and Nico just responded to Roman with "Stay in that bin where you belong, I'm working for the FBI now."

The only Rockstar protagonist to end his game better than he started was Jimmy Hopkins. Tommy Vercetti is a ticking timebomb so I'm not expecting him to last long.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Dec 14, 2019

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Wait for real? How do you resolve the mercenary shootout without it?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was briefly playing some merge-these-things game on my phone (getting bored of it and uninstalling in five minutes because, you know, it's a merge-these-things game), but I'm annoyed that I can't remember the title of it because it did have a Little Thing I dug: the ability to disable seasonal graphics.

It's not that I hate having candy canes in my games every Christmas, or anything, but having the option made me like that I could just set the game to "hey, I just loaded this thing, let me see what things normally look like".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thecluckmeme posted:

I just finished Disco Elysium. My degree in cryptozoology really paid off.

You should've played ball with Evrart.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mondian posted:

I rolled REALLY well a couple times. It was pure luck on red checks.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

Buy the blue spirits off of the drunk in the fishing village, pump your Inland Empire high enough, and start the Horrible Tie after meeting Ruby.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BioEnchanted posted:

Also even though the bosses in GTA 3 are awful people they aren't meant to be liked by the main character so they are less frustrating than Nico and CJ's garbage families. SWEET AND ROMAN ARE PIECES OF poo poo, SEVER YOU IDIOTS! The games would be so much less frustrating if Curtis was just like "Sweet, next time you end up in prison, you are loving WALKING home. In the meantime, I'm giving our sister away at her wedding to the chill spanish dude, we're all tight." and Nico just responded to Roman with "Stay in that bin where you belong, I'm working for the FBI now."

The only Rockstar protagonist to end his game better than he started was Jimmy Hopkins. Tommy Vercetti is a ticking timebomb so I'm not expecting him to last long.

i really enjoyed san andreas and then the very end of it takes a fat dump because after all cj's work and life crushing stunts for unfortunate racist guy who voiced hades in hercules results in him being released from prison out of the blue he immediately shits on everything cj's accomplished, shits on cj's attempts to pull him into the success without a moment's hesitation, then over the rest of the game except for the very end just constantly berates cj while doing nothing himself. it's such a poo poo end to a game that was otherwise generally pretty fun and over the top.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kennel posted:

Can you call it understated if the sign takes 1/4 of the screen during the cut scene?

if it is in GTA then yes this is subtle comedy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

i really enjoyed san andreas and then the very end of it takes a fat dump because after all cj's work and life crushing stunts for unfortunate racist guy who voiced hades in hercules results in him being released from prison out of the blue he immediately shits on everything cj's accomplished, shits on cj's attempts to pull him into the success without a moment's hesitation, then over the rest of the game except for the very end just constantly berates cj while doing nothing himself. it's such a poo poo end to a game that was otherwise generally pretty fun and over the top.

The whole point is that CJ's no longer the simple gang-banger he used to be by the time his brother's freed, while his brother hasn't changed a bit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah but then the point is completely shittered because instead of telling sweet to gently caress off if he really wants to throw his life away cj just immediately goes ok fine

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And even worse: After all that the plot comes to a complete standstill and requires you to go around doing the gang wars to proceed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OutOfPrint posted:

Buy the blue spirits off of the drunk in the fishing village, pump your Inland Empire high enough, and start the Horrible Tie after meeting Ruby.

This sounds someone having a stroke.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

That fits, there is a good chance the player character suffered a stroke.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually kind of liked that Vice City Stories explicitly said that Vic's life was shittier at the end of the game (he goes from law abiding citizen to career criminal). But since a life of crime is all he has left he might as well lean into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

I just checked. Apparently Tommy confirmably survives through to at least San Andreas, which is set in 1992, six years after Vice City. There's no confirmation he's around in any game later than that, but honestly, I'm surprised he lasted six years. I'd expect him to fall after six months.