Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Rob Corddry was on The Daily show, and I don't know what else he's done.

This reflects poorly on you.

Six (?) seasons of Children's hospital, recurring guest on Community, now he's one of the leads on a HBO show with The Rock (Ballers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was, show is done now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Little bit spoilery for the Grand Tour special (introducing the boats):

https://twitter.com/thegrandtour/status/1204114669335719939

Edit: Apparently embedded tweets don't give a poo poo about spoiler tags so :nws:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Besides the US Top Gear crew becoming watchable, I actually also liked the last iteration of the Top Gear Australia crew, the one which did the UK vs. Australia special.

But according to Internet this means that I have no taste and/or brain worms.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Seamen has been... unleashed

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIw8BV8Atg

Finish the Sentence by The Grand Tour boys

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have not laughed as hard at their "Mess with the other persons ride" antics for a very, very long time.

That was a cracker special- I recon it was right up there with some of their best.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
"I hope you wanted something from this shop, because we are arriving at it."

I have no idea why I laughed so hard at that, but I did.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
What a closing line from Clarkson.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
yeah it was really good.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

less manufactured bullshit, more better entertainment. (still plenty of stupid intentional loving up though)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Interesting, because before heading into this thread, I came across a review from The Independent on my Google feed, that was making GBS threads all over it.

Seems there's still plenty of salt going around.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting, because before heading into this thread, I came across a review from The Independent on my Google feed, that was making GBS threads all over it.

Seems there's still plenty of salt going around.

It was a bit weird because their task was to drive three boats through some rivers. Obviously they had their issues but nothing seemed insurmountable. Some of their other specials seem a bit more epic (build a literal bridge, buy 2nd hand bikes and travel the length of Vietnam, find the source of the Nile).

It didn't fall flat for me but it felt like there could be more to it. I kept expecting them to furnish the boats a bit more since they usually modify their cars/bikes/whatever on these trips. I enjoyed it, but I can definitely see people finding criticisms with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you expect a Top Gear style wacky adventure, you might be disappointed. If you expected what they promised, which was travel films, it was pretty great. Still had some messing about, Jeremy's tales from history of the area, and lots of mistakes being made. I could watch a bunch of these.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I really loved James' boat.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I enjoyed it, but it still felt like it was missing something. It didn't feel like their other specials.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
One thing that felt off for me was that May was separate from Hammond and Clarkson for most of the show. He would get left behind repeatedly and it started to be noticeable that they were only interacting with him for what felt like only half of the screen time. Fun otherwise.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Plucky Brit posted:

What a closing line from Clarkson.

On this horrible disappointed to Top Gear

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure I watched the same episode as y'all, I thought it was pretty terrible and not just because of the Corbyn :airquote: "joke" :airquote:.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For what it is, a CHM travel special, it was great.

They could totally do a dozen more of these. It's a good balance of buffoonery and trivia.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

On this horrible disappointment for Top Gear

Just curious, why now? His exit from Top Gear, which he readily admitted was all his silly fault, was 3 series ago...

I get why he might say it at all, but why specifically now?

Googled it but the papers didn't have a good answer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they are now allowed to say the name.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Heners_UK posted:

Just curious, why now? His exit from Top Gear, which he readily admitted was all his silly fault, was 3 series ago...

I get why he might say it at all, but why specifically now?

Googled it but the papers didn't have a good answer.

The joke in context is that they're all there relieved that they somehow didn't die, and in response to them saying that he says "And on this terrible disappointed for Top Gear"

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I'm not sure I watched the same episode as y'all, I thought it was pretty terrible and not just because of the Corbyn :airquote: "joke" :airquote:.

I thought the Corbyn joke was somewhat funny in light of the election results. I’m not British so I have some distance from the slow-motion train wreck that is Brexit/the Tories.

The episode was OK. It was a little repetitive and anticlimactic. I mostly want to rewatch the Vietnam special. Curious to see what the others are like.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also didn't even Clarkson campaign for Remain?

Like that may be a low bar but I also don't fully grasp what is happening, politically. I read it as a joke applying the context of the conversation, that drastic changes in regimes result in changes to cuisine and regular diet.

This is absurd in the case of England right now, I hope.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 15, 2019

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Well for a start it would seem like producing a show that regularly shoots across Europe suddenly gets a lot more complicated, I’m fairly sure I’ve head him speak along those lines before.

Similarly, I understand that in the past, “hello we’re from the BBC” helped grease things in some parts of the world, a lot more than “Jeff Bezos sent us”.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not

Wasabi the J posted:

Also didn't even Clarkson campaign for Remain?

Like that may be a low bar but I also don't fully grasp what is happening, politically. I read it as a joke applying the context of the conversation, that drastic changes in regimes result in changes to cuisine and regular diet.

This is absurd in the case of England right now, I hope.

It seemed like he was trying to throw some red meat to his right wing fans as some form of balance for having spent the previous few minutes saying “climate change is real”.

He might have saved his breath, the guy I was watching it with immediately started ranting about how clarkson was selling out to communists and I couldn’t hear the next few lines of dialogue

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked that episode. It didn't feel like the old specials, but considering most of the old style specials on GT have been pretty weak(Mongolia being the one exception that comes to mind) that's not a bad thing.

Anyone know what the release schedule for this season is gonna be like? I'm actually quite curious to see where they go with this.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got some mild Bourdain vibes and that made me happy.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
This was a bit different but I liked it. That PBR was hilariously awesome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I'm happy with it and you can't fake how sketchy that ocean crossing portion was.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Data Graham posted:

He might have saved his breath, the guy I was watching it with immediately started ranting about how clarkson was selling out to communists and I couldn’t hear the next few lines of dialogue
You need a new friend.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I was super hungover and fell asleep probably 15 minutes in and then woke up in the last 5 minutes.

I liked the bits I saw.

I'm probably going to go back and watch the rest when I'm in a better state of being.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I liked it and yeah the ocean bit was genuinely crazy. How about the uncensored "Ahhhhh gently caress" from Jeremy at 1:32.06? :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I got nervous when I saw that poo poo coming.

When step-grandfather died, they held his wake on a triple deck party barge in gloomy skies. In the marina, the waves were calm, but they wanted to spread his ashes in the ocean so they could circulate.

So we were out there in similar but much less intense conditions, trying to spread ashes off the fantail, and my step relatives drat near getting washed off.

I felt a lot of glares for laughing nervously during all this, but I still made sure to have a life vest in reach.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Top Gear Nepal Special (and in fact, the entire season) was better than any episode of the last 3 years of Grand Tour. And I was on camera multiple times in the first ever episode of that during the opening scene...

Paddy, Andrew & Chris all seem to get on very well and their camaraderie and willingness to help each other instead of high-lariously crash into James' car for the 7038th time is a refreshing change.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now I'm picturing May trying to scatter Hammond's ashes off the back of a Reliant TW9 that Clarkson is driving through a volcano eruption

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

The Top Gear Nepal Special (and in fact, the entire season) was better than any episode of the last 3 years of Grand Tour. And I was on camera multiple times in the first ever episode of that during the opening scene...

Paddy, Andrew & Chris all seem to get on very well and their camaraderie and willingness to help each other instead of high-lariously crash into James' car for the 7038th time is a refreshing change.

The Nepal special was definitely great. Seemed like a genuine adventure without too much staged stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah that Nepal special was great.

Super looking forward to the next series.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I know there aren't any cars involved but so far I'm really enjoying James May's Japan series on Amazon. I was really hoping for another James project so I was glad to see one pop up so soon after the Grand Tour boat special.