Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can't deny that it's incredibly demoralising to get sent back the the title screen with no save file to show for your efforts after failing the first cycle. It doesn't take that long to get out of the tutorial again, but drat, at least save it at the clock tower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Frostspears are good for one or two hits at a time if you're swarmed with foes or trying to run away. Whip it out, freeze some goons, drop a bomb and run away. Very minor damage to durability.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i recommend jousting against bokoblins on horses with a frost spear.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, it hits the horses too much for my taste but works like a charm.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
How the hell did that stupid Lynel keep seeing me from a thousand feet away while it's raining and I have a 3x Stealth Bonus? Anyway first Divine Beast down, that was a good dungeon. I don't much care for the map, it's a bit useless, but I guess a standard Zelda type map wouldn't really work and they had to fit in the gimmick too. And hey, now I finally have a fourth heart. Now I just need to find the forest for more equipment slots, and a second fairy fountain so I can get to work on more upgrades for my armor would also be nice.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Twelve by Pies posted:

How the hell did that stupid Lynel keep seeing me from a thousand feet away while it's raining and I have a 3x Stealth Bonus?

Lynels are very tricky enemies with a lot of advantages and quirks. They're basically bad guy heroes with fancy gear of their own.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twelve by Pies posted:

How the hell did that stupid Lynel keep seeing me from a thousand feet away while it's raining and I have a 3x Stealth Bonus? Anyway first Divine Beast down, that was a good dungeon. I don't much care for the map, it's a bit useless, but I guess a standard Zelda type map wouldn't really work and they had to fit in the gimmick too. And hey, now I finally have a fourth heart. Now I just need to find the forest for more equipment slots, and a second fairy fountain so I can get to work on more upgrades for my armor would also be nice.

You can see the Deku Tree from a long way away, though it may not be immediately obvious that that's him....

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Twelve by Pies posted:

IIRC you first find the maraccas dude outside Westside Stables, I think there's two encounters before you have to make it all the way to the forest.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Amppelix posted:

You can't deny that it's incredibly demoralising to get sent back the the title screen with no save file to show for your efforts after failing the first cycle. It doesn't take that long to get out of the tutorial again, but drat, at least save it at the clock tower!

Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game ever, but I agree with this. The tutorial section is minimum an hour, and even if you know what you're doing you have to sit around and wait for the doors to open to the tower. If you don't do the hide and seek/trading quest OR your game freezes (which happened to me once) you're kicked to The title screen and have to go back through all of this unskippable cutscenes.

Even crazier is the fact that the Japanese certain didn't let you save your game without resetting time- the Owl Statues didn't act as checkpoints until the US release.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

pooch516 posted:

Majora's Mask is probably my favorite game ever, but I agree with this. The tutorial section is minimum an hour, and even if you know what you're doing you have to sit around and wait for the doors to open to the tower. If you don't do the hide and seek/trading quest OR your game freezes (which happened to me once) you're kicked to The title screen and have to go back through all of this unskippable cutscenes.

Even crazier is the fact that the Japanese certain didn't let you save your game without resetting time- the Owl Statues didn't act as checkpoints until the US release.

There’s quite a bit to do during the tutorial. Get the heart piece from playing the deku scrub minigame for three days, get the heart piece from the toilet, acquire the adult wallet. I’m not defending the tutorial section but it can be fun and even hectic to get stuff done during that first cycle.

Count me in for being turned off by the deku scrub segment, only to later revisit the game and find it to be my absolute favorite though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

IIRC you first find the maraccas dude outside Westside Stables, I think there's two encounters before you have to make it all the way to the forest.

If you make it to the forest before finding him again he'll be there ahead of you. Not sure if he shows up there if you never found him at all though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Runcible Cat posted:

If you make it to the forest before finding him again he'll be there ahead of you. Not sure if he shows up there if you never found him at all though.

He does. There's a pretty absurd amount of permutations to where he shows up

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Finally finished botw, or as close as I care (not gonna bother with the remaining fetch quests or koroks or shaking my bad-at-video-games fist at the last bit of the trial of the sword). Like everyone has been saying for years: great game. Durability started out annoying but by the end I had so many savage Lynel weapons I couldn’t find enough enemies to use them on. Exploring was still fun after 100+ hours. I got to surf across the desert being towed by a goddamn seal. A+++ looking forward to botw2

Kind of disappointed by the castle though. Maybe I should have gone earlier (snuck in for the early quest that takes you there but otherwise left it for last). Figured it wouldn’t matter because enemy scaling, but I guess it didn’t scale enough. Nearly accidentally trivialised it even further with the mask.

And maybe I missed the interesting bits but the place was just kind of ... dull, with nothing really in it but the same monsters I’d been fighting all game, some equipment I’d swear was a palette swap, and a few lore dumps that told me stuff I already knew from a slightly different perspective. I was hoping for some interesting puzzles at least, since the divine beasts did that well, but nope.

Next up: Mario odyssey. Can’t say I’m a fan of the tired old “oh no the kidnapper is going to do a forced marriage yet again, come on this princess isn’t going to rescue herself” premise but it’s not like you play Mario for the story right

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Soricidus posted:

Next up: Mario odyssey. Can’t say I’m a fan of the tired old “oh no the kidnapper is going to do a forced marriage yet again, come on this princess isn’t going to rescue herself” premise but it’s not like you play Mario for the story right

It's acceptable in that game because you can show up to stop it in boxers and clown makeup, among other things.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Majora's Mask. :( I tried so hard.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Majora's Mask. :( I tried so hard.

please leave

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sure, now. When I went in as a kid without much idea of what was going on, suddenly having a countdown onscreen that I stressed out and wasted a lot of time rushing around in confusion.

The game lays out the main objective to you right off the bat: Get Majora's Mask from Skull Kid. Exploring you should then find the Fairy Fountain easily where you learn that there's a missing part of the Great Fairy somewhere in town, doing this gives you Magic and the ability to shoot bubbles which only has one use to pop the Balloon and start the Bomber's quest. The Bomber's Quest gives you the location of Skull Kid at the top of the tower and the pearl that allows you to access the tower. There's really not much in the way of mandatory things to do (10 minutes maybe?) and it's pretty easy, if not spoonfed, to figure it out and you're alotted almost an hour without time slowed down.

If you factor in talking to the grandmother/scarecrow you can skip most of the waiting around right off the bat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lotta folks ITT assuming your first Majora's Mask experience is ":hmmyes: a clearly defined set of objectives I will complete with plenty of time remaining" and not "OH poo poo A TIME LIMIT WHAT DO I DO OH GOD THERE'S KIDS TO FIND WHERE DO I GO OH gently caress OH gently caress"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Majoras Mask is my favorite game to watch someone else play.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lotta folks ITT assuming your first Majora's Mask experience is ":hmmyes: a clearly defined set of objectives I will complete with plenty of time remaining" and not "OH poo poo A TIME LIMIT WHAT DO I DO OH GOD THERE'S KIDS TO FIND WHERE DO I GO OH gently caress OH gently caress"

I mean, what else did you fill up an hour of gameplay time with? Because there's really not much to do outside a couple minor side things. You have to be on some other poo poo to only find the Great Fairy/Bombers while the moon coming down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Folks just don't get how bad at games people who are Bad At Games can be

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

maybe the kids should git gud

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is the best one yet:

https://twitter.com/Switch_movie_SS/status/1205180705870770176

And yeah the beginning of MM is bad much like the beginning of all Zelda games from then until BotW.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Seeing him toss all those boomerangs was like watching an executioner bring the axe down over and over.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MokBa posted:

This is the best one yet:

https://twitter.com/Switch_movie_SS/status/1205180705870770176

And yeah the beginning of MM is bad much like the beginning of all Zelda games from then until BotW.

Amazing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

I mean, what else did you fill up an hour of gameplay time with? Because there's really not much to do outside a couple minor side things. You have to be on some other poo poo to only find the Great Fairy/Bombers while the moon coming down.
I mean, if you need video evidence, here's live footage of someone's first playthrough of Majora's Mask where they indeed fail to complete the first cycle due to running out of time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FXarXdSVdg

Also I was totally wrong, the game actually does save you at the clock tower. That's much more forgiving than I remembered.

By the way Lauren is great and this playthrough is a fantastic watch despite her being admittedly very bad at the vidogam

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Crossposting for BotW DLC content

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

romanowski posted:

please leave
Please don't be like this. I spent a full week playing the game, trying to figure out how to enjoy it. I couldn't. It's not for me. People are allowed to like different kinds of things.

I documented the whole thing in this very thread (or an earlier version of it.)

Captain Hygiene posted:

Folks just don't get how bad at games people who are Bad At Games can be
What's it like to be this elitist about a toy because people don't enjoy the same kinds of toys as you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

What's it like to be this elitist about a toy because people don't enjoy the same kinds of toys as you?

Considering his posts on this subject, I'm fairly certain that was intended to be self-deprecating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah the Bad At Games person here is me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

We're all bad at games we play Zelda

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I finally started trying out Breath of the Wild. It's way better than Skyward Sword, imo!

That being said:

Mipha, no, you can't do this to me Nintendo :negative:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Skyward sword and breath of the wild are opposites

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm not really a big Zelda fan, I've only finished like 2 and got half way into Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword grew pretty old pretty fast for me.

I don't care what the game says, mipha is link's fish wife.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Link has a history of Zora side chicks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I always root for the romantic underdog.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't care what the game says, mipha is link's fish wife.

Mipha made the Zora Armor for Link and the game specifically says that the Zora Armor is the equivalent of an engagement ring that Zora ladies give their future husbands.

I did Katosa Aug today and it's the worst shrine in the game, nothing can top this loving shrine for terrible. Why does the hammer keep angling itself down?! Whatever, I managed to beat it on a fluke and I hate it and I hate whoever made the gyro shrines.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's almost 2020 and Nintendo still hasn't renamed Twilight_Princess_HD.wiiu to Twilight_Princess_HD.switch.

Come the gently caress on Nintendo.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did Katosa Aug today and it's the worst shrine in the game, nothing can top this loving shrine for terrible. Why does the hammer keep angling itself down?! Whatever, I managed to beat it on a fluke and I hate it and I hate whoever made the gyro shrines.

Now try it on a switch lite (if you already did then you’re probably the only one who ever will)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

Skyward sword and breath of the wild are opposites

Holy crap this is so accurate! It’s bizarre how every single choice in Skyward Sword leaves me totally cold but Breath of the Wild leaves me in such awe I feel like a kid again with a new game for Christmas.