Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Acutally gently caress it, I'm trying it right now

quote:

You are Meng Qi, a minor First Stage cultivator. You are being bullied in your sect, and also the girl you like is dating someone richer and more attractive. But one day you look through some old scrolls and find a cheat item, which will allow you to level up faster than anyone else

> You train up to second level instantly, but keep it secret.

You decide that if you want to be able to compete with other people, then you need to get stronger as fast as possible. So you start training hard.
The next few months pass by quickly

> You practice one of the new cultivation techniques you learned from your cheat item.

You have been practicing the technique for about two weeks now, and you feel it's working well. You can see how much better you've gotten at this, and you're excited to show off your progress to everyone.

> You test it on a small building.

You take out your cheat item and cast the spell over the small building in front of you. The building shudders slightly, and you hear a loud noise like an earthquake. Everyone is surprised when they see the building collapse into the street below

> You look into the building, see the corpse of your romantic rival.

You turn around and see the body of your romantic rival lying dead in the rubble. He was killed by your spell! You didn't even know such a thing existed!

> You destroy the evidence using your new earthquake technique.

You immediately use your new earthquake technique to destroy the remains of the building. You don't care who saw it, or what happened to him afterwards. It doesn't matter anyway, because you're going to prove that you are indeed the strongest mage in the city.

> You ask everyone in the crowd to declare loyalty to you.

Everyone in the crowd raises their hands to you, declaring their allegiance to you. This causes quite a bit of excitement, but also some jealousy. Some of them say they'll try to kill you if you ever become too powerful, so you tell them not to worry about them

> You plot to kill the dissenters in their sleep.

You go back home and spend all night planning your revenge against those who dared to oppose you. You figure you should make sure you get the most out of this plan before you leave, so you set out to find the first three people who opposed you

> You sneak into the first person's house, late at night.

You sneak into the first person's house late at night, just after midnight. You grab his wife and hold her down while you whisper in her ear "I'm sorry, I won't do anything to you". She looks terrified, but she still complies with your request

> You use your other cultivation technique to silently kill your enemy.

You slowly close your eyes and concentrate on your opponent. You sense a strong presence nearby, and you prepare yourself for battle. When you open your eyes again, you find that your opponent has died. You sigh with relief, and begin preparing for another fight

> You head to the second guy's house.

You walk towards the second guy's house, which is located near yours. You knock on the door and wait patiently. A man opens the door, and he looks scared and confused. He asks you where you came from, and why you're here

> Say "If you give me fifty spirit stones, I can forget your threats.".

He nods nervously and says "Okay" and gives you fifty spirit stones. You smile and nod in agreement, and then you slip away before anyone can stop you

> You head to the third enemy's house. Prepare the Crimson Diamond Immolation technique.

You head to the third guy's house, which is located near yours. You knock on the door and wait patiently. A woman opens the door, and she looks frightened and confused

> You ask her to leave quietly, she doesn't want any part of this.

She hesitates for a moment, but she finally agrees to leave quietly. You smile and nod in approval, and then you slip away before anyone can stop you

> You burn the house down.

You suddenly realize that you forgot something. You run back to the house, and you find that the entire place is on fire. You run inside and throw a torch on the ground, igniting the whole place

> You leave before anyone investigates.

You run outside and throw a rock at the flames, causing them to die down. You laugh maniacally and wave your arms wildly

> You say "alas, my friend, if only I could have saved you in time! And this, days after you added me to your will as the sole heir" sob wildly.

You cry hysterically and shake uncontrollably for several minutes. Finally, you calm down and gather your wits

> You see if anyone bought your filthy lies.

You search through the charred ruins of the house and find nothing. Nobody seems to believe you. You shrug and continue your life

Yeah seems pretty typical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seems about right

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I finally got around to finishing I Favor the Villainess. The translation wasn't great, but I really enjoyed it anyway. Time to shill it everywhere.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nerdz posted:

I just love these webtoon/novel naming conventions

I feel like you could take any of these first/middle/last names and make a random webtoon generator

my personal webnovel law of "avoid anything with some variation of the word "peerless" in it's title" remains flawless

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yinlock posted:

my personal webnovel law of "avoid anything with some variation of the word "peerless" in it's title" remains flawless peerless

FTFY

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ty

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yinlock posted:

my personal webnovel law of "avoid anything with some variation of the word "peerless" in it's title" remains flawless

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got around to reading Forty Milleniums of Cultivation, I'm not super far through but... This is CULTIVATION: 40K isn't it? With liberal use of all the other nerd things the author enjoys as well.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

40k of cultivation sidesteps that by having the, uh, goodish cultivators think of themselves as the first among citizens of a functional society with laws and a government rather than living gods. cultivators used to do the whole feuding magical bandit gang thing in the distant past, but it never really worked that well. after civilization rose and fell several times over people learned that they needed to actually work at having a civilization instead of (magic) individuals squabbling for (magic) wealth.

i'm not sure i buy a civically responsible upper class who can live for hundreds of years while also being stronger and smarter than any proles, though. the only things keeping it all together are idealism and external enemies. it probably helps that the subject of taxes has never even been mentioned in the story.

From what I read I gather that the current GOOD TIMES in the MC's civilization have only existed the past 200 years at most, and so all the really old people who are super powered basically remember how things were when times were not good, the demons were at the door, and everyone was going to die if they didn't work together.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I could use a new webnovel to read. I prefer shounen type stuff, especially isekai manga (Since I was a kid I loved the 'modern person in another world' stuff).

I enjoy the ones where the protagonist is generally a good guy, but he uses underhanded and downright dirty methods to win. rear end in a top hat tactics are the best tactics. When everyone around you is saying "Yeah, you won, but the method you use to win..." then it's perfect.

Any good suggestions?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Check out he who fights with monsters and see if it is to your taste

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Looking for exclusively WN/LN translations or would EN webserials be up your alley too?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've really been enjoying Cultivation Chat Group. Read over a hundred chapters the last few days. MC power level doesn't go up too quickly, although his friends are OP.

I really, really like that the author includes lots of examples of how not to treat women, calls them out as bad behavior, and then has horrible things happen to the people who do them. It's not a feminist story by any stretch, and there are some serious issues with how women are described, but overall it is refreshingly decent.

khy posted:

I could use a new webnovel to read. I prefer shounen type stuff, especially isekai manga (Since I was a kid I loved the 'modern person in another world' stuff).

I enjoy the ones where the protagonist is generally a good guy, but he uses underhanded and downright dirty methods to win. rear end in a top hat tactics are the best tactics. When everyone around you is saying "Yeah, you won, but the method you use to win..." then it's perfect.

Any good suggestions?

He who fights with monsters on Royal Road
My House of Horrors

Umm... not an Isekai, but you might enjoy Forge of Destiny? It starts out low level but eventually the MC fights by trapping people in clouds of shadows and summoning endless hordes of hungry ghosts to devour them. Then she powers up and adds a blizzard to her creepy rolling sphere of doom.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 12, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Looking for exclusively WN/LN translations or would EN webserials be up your alley too?

WN/LN is preferred, mainly because if it's an EN protagonist then I wonder why they'd miss certain things and if it's a JP/KR protagonist the fact that there's enough of a cultural difference helps me avoid those feelings. But I won't turn down any EN recommendations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

khy posted:

WN/LN is preferred, mainly because if it's an EN protagonist then I wonder why they'd miss certain things and if it's a JP/KR protagonist the fact that there's enough of a cultural difference helps me avoid those feelings. But I won't turn down any EN recommendations.

Neither of these are Isekai, and both are EN authors. I think you might like them for hitting the basically good MC who uses horrifying methods.

Practical Guide to Evil - https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/summary/

Mother of Learning - starts very, very slow. MC also starts out as a jerk, but this is deliberate and he gets better as he matures. MC is supposed to use his power in a horrifying way, but the series doesn't sell it very effectively. Of all my suggestions I'd guess you'd probably like it the least. I enjoyed it enough to read it twice.

Almost forgot: The Gamer - https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-gamer/ep-1/viewer?title_no=88&episode_no=1

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll second the rec for Mother of Learning, as far as English language ones go. It's kind of like Groundhog Day meets Harry Potter, but it comes together really well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

khy posted:

Any good suggestions?

yeah, that's pretty much just a word-for-word description of he who fights with monsters.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

yeah, that's pretty much just a word-for-word description of he who fights with monsters.

Well, except for being 'a good guy', sure.

The main issue with 'Assholish but good' subgenre is that it very rarely actually plays it well on webnovels as it takes quite a bit of know-how, and instead you get 'rear end in a top hat and evil' or just 'good' after a few chapters.

He who Fights Monsters is the former.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Nah that’s wrong.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arkeus posted:

Well, except for being 'a good guy', sure.

The main issue with 'Assholish but good' subgenre is that it very rarely actually plays it well on webnovels as it takes quite a bit of know-how, and instead you get 'rear end in a top hat and evil' or just 'good' after a few chapters.

He who Fights Monsters is the former.

Did you quit reading after he played Dead by Daylight in the holodeck? Everything he's done since then has been pretty clearly not-evil, even if he's still a huge rear end in a top hat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a jerk who makes a concerted effort to do good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Avulsion posted:

Did you quit reading after he played Dead by Daylight in the holodeck? Everything he's done since then has been pretty clearly not-evil, even if he's still a huge rear end in a top hat.

He threatened a government clerk with gruesome murder just to get access to some of her records

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tunicate posted:

He threatened a government clerk with gruesome murder just to get access to some of her records

No, he got the records with plain old bribery. The threats of murder came afterwards, to ensure her silence.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Avulsion posted:

He has been doing a lot of evil stuff, just nothing that actually has consequences, and he benefits from the good old "If he is being evil, the person he is being evil toward will be retroactively shown to be a villain".

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
The telling thing is that he's actually enough of a realized person that you can argue about his morality, rather than just an outright villain treated as a hero by the story like many WN protags

He engages in threats, intimidation and manipulation against the rich and powerful while being pretty much unfailingly kind and helpful to the poor and powerless. He definitely does evil stuff but also he's possibly the only protag this side of the hilariously problematic Iron Ladies manhwa to have anything close to a class consciousness.

(i love that terrible manhwa btw and ascribe a trans narrative that is definitely not intended unto the main character because it fits imo but holy poo poo is the least recommendable thing ever)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

He threatened a government clerk with gruesome murder to keep her from letting the bad guys know he looked them up and covering their tracks before he caught them. It even says that in the same chapter you're complaining about.

Arkeus posted:

He has been doing a lot of evil stuff, just nothing that actually has consequences, and he benefits from the good old "If he is being evil, the person he is being evil toward will be retroactively shown to be a villain".

Noo.... everyone he's a jerk to is establish ahead of time as being either evil or potentially evil.

Even Clive, who he spent several chapters being a dick to, and later becomes a key ally, was initially introduced as being a henchmen of one of the evil people. Once he realizes Clive isn't evil, he stops being (as much of) a dick. The author has even brought up the MC's dickishness as a bad thing several times since.

MC also admits he was excessively a dick to one of the worst people in the whole story.

There's definitely stuff to complain about in the series (the MC actually being a master manipulator is obviously a late addition to the MC's personality and still causes dissonance with the other story beats), but the MC goes way out of his way to do good.

He's one of only two people in the story you ever see perform an act of charity. (Jory and MC are the only ones I can think of that help people without some sort of compensation). Lots of other people are nicer than they have to be.

Edit: Actually, I think it might be more accurate to say the MC is a dick to almost everyone he talks to of the Adventurer class and above. I was going to say to everyone, but he's apparently fairly charming to 'normal' people and small business owners, although most of those interactions take place off screen, we do get to see a few of them.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 13, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yes and it's totally not an evil thing to threaten people with gruesome murder to keep them quiet about your other crimes :rolleyes:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

The telling thing is that he's actually enough of a realized person that you can argue about his morality, rather than just an outright villain treated as a hero by the story like many WN protags

He engages in threats, intimidation and manipulation against the rich and powerful while being pretty much unfailingly kind and helpful to the poor and powerless. He definitely does evil stuff but also he's possibly the only protag this side of the hilariously problematic Iron Ladies manhwa to have anything close to a class consciousness.

(i love that terrible manhwa btw and ascribe a trans narrative that is definitely not intended unto the main character because it fits imo but holy poo poo is the least recommendable thing ever)

But... he is treated by a complete hero by the story. That's why so many people give up in disgust about the story. It constantly does the "Jason makes a quick assumption of someone's personality, and it turns out right". If someone is evil, they will dislike Jason. If someone is nice, they will like him. If Jason dislikes someone, that person will turn evil (or there is a plot point about it). If Jason likes someone, they will be good.

And that's in the first half second of a meeting.

The story is hilariously shallow.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Arkeus posted:

But... he is treated by a complete hero by the story. That's why so many people give up in disgust about the story. It constantly does the "Jason makes a quick assumption of someone's personality, and it turns out right". If someone is evil, they will dislike Jason. If someone is nice, they will like him. If Jason dislikes someone, that person will turn evil (or there is a plot point about it). If Jason likes someone, they will be good.

And that's in the first half second of a meeting.

The story is hilariously shallow.

I mean yeah, its bad. Presumably if you're looking for litrpg on royal road you've already read the handful of good wns or you don't care about quality at all, or both.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's mostly true, but there is the local guild leader. jason liked her just fine, but she thought he was an arrogant shitbag and repeatedly hosed him over.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yes and it's totally not an evil thing to threaten people with gruesome murder to keep them quiet about your other crimes :rolleyes:

Yes that would be evil, but that's not what happened.

Jason committed no crimes. Jason did not threaten her to get her to commit a crime.

Jason threatened her into not-aiding-a-criminal-in-the-commission-of-their-ongoing-criminal-conspiracy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Yes that would be evil, but that's not what happened.

Jason committed no crimes. Jason did not threaten her to get her to commit a crime.

Jason threatened her into not-aiding-a-criminal-in-the-commission-of-their-ongoing-criminal-conspiracy.

chapter literally says he bribed her

and yeah I think immediately jumping into threatening murder was a jarring into being evil for no reason

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Megazver posted:

And listen to their metal album.

Which is hardcore death metal by East Asian standards but, judging by the descriptions, is actually more like Lordi.

I feel as if my whole body is soaring in the sky, truly terrific!

Tunicate posted:

and yeah I think immediately jumping into threatening murder was a jarring into being evil for no reason

tbf the fact that he just used threats instead of immediate murder still puts him fairly high on the wn protagonist morality scale :thunk:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tunicate posted:

So he did. My mistake.

He Who Fights With Monsters posted:

After paying a small fee for access and a moderate bribe for assistance...

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

In a massively corrupt government he's working through here, bribery on this scale is barely even a crime - it's just the only way you'll get anything done. He's investigating the abuses of the rich, so people are not just going to cough up incriminating information about the wealthy and powerful people they work for. The threats were excessive, sure, but again, he's dealing with wealthy and powerful people who have shown very little hesitation to use violence and even murder to protect their interests, and if they actually found out what he was doing and confronted him directly without him having an out could just stomp him like an insect - and probably several other people in the process. Using threats of violence that he wouldn't actually ever follow up on to protect multiple people from actual, real violence isn't the purely loathsome and evil act some people seem to be portraying it as, just a bit excessive - he's got a reputation so he's using it.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 14, 2019

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Reposting my request from the good isekai thread:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Artificer posted:

Reposting my request from the good isekai thread:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.

The Good-For-Nothing Seventh Young Lady goes hog wild with this, making her primary powerset (curses and mind control) not only something that's usually attached to evil characters generally also something basically exclusively used by evil dickbags in setting. Provided that you think stealing from rich people is a victimless crime she's pretty good people (at least for the first eleven hundred chapters ive read)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in the vast majority of such wn's the mc immediately hooks up with the richest and most abusively controlling guy around. is that the case here?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

atelier morgan posted:

The Good-For-Nothing Seventh Young Lady goes hog wild with this, making her primary powerset (curses and mind control) not only something that's usually attached to evil characters generally also something basically exclusively used by evil dickbags in setting. Provided that you think stealing from rich people is a victimless crime she's pretty good people (at least for the first eleven hundred chapters ive read)

That sounds potentially good! Thanks.

in the vast majority of such wn's the mc immediately hooks up with the richest and most abusively controlling guy around. is that the case here?

This doesn't sound good at all.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Its a xianxia style isekai rather than a palace intrigue isekai so she hasn't hooked up with anyone and instead just has a platonic harem of male admirers. The closest thing to a romantic lead is a spirit inhabiting her body and its not close at all.

She spend most of the first several hundred chapters disguised as three boys

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cool, i'll check it out. i've long wanted to like those 'badass lady transmigrates into some loser girl who lives in a vaguely ancient china-ish setting' webnovels, but they kept letting me down. it's always the same poo poo, too.