Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Falstaff posted:

I've seen that before, it can be pretty scary. I hope his medication works fast.

He's finally started taking food from a syringe without putting up a fight. Hopefully that's a good sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratthew is now drinking water from the bottle at will, and scoffing baby food if I set the jar in front of him. Hope to see him eating dry food again soon but otherwise made a remarkable recovery from his state 12 hours ago.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't want to be the continued bearer of bad news in a thread that is mostly bad news, but one of my remaining two (not the surgery one) seems to be losing the use of his back leg(s). Vet appointment tomorrow. Possibly related to the steroids he's on to try to help with his skin irritation, possibly just old age.

Edit: oh, in better news, since my last post Ratthew has made a full recovery from his infection (likely from aspirating something) and his surgery recovery is 99% on track with only some minor indications of infection around the cut sites.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm sorry about your ratkids. :(

Obviously you need to get twice as many more rats to fill the void.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rex back from vet. Looks like one of two things; either progressive spinal degradation, which is not painful but a lil confusing for him re: his back legs, but since he's actually a bit better today than he was yesterday, also floated the possibility of it being a brief trauma, like maybe he somehow bruised his spine a lil and as the swelling goes down he gets a bit better.

Either way he's already on the correct meds to help him out and he doesn't seem to be in pain now so for now we wait and see and apply love.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:thunk:

what could cause a female rat, who had an ovariohysterectomy months and months ago, to suddenly have the lordosis reflex again???

she's two and a half, and she does have a small mammary tumor if that makes a difference.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:h:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://jalopnik.com/they-taught-rats-how-to-drive-1839263963

Here's a video or rats driving tiny cars. It's a must watch.
https://youtu.be/MIKt2NdZ_3c

Motorized rats will be unstoppable. :kimchi:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Okay, but was it manual transmission? :smuggo:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Old meets New:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:3: babby rats are so cute

they're all cute

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Freakin' precious babies. :3

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Had to have another one put to sleep today. One rat remaining, of the original four.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Babby is home from her second successful tumor removal. She is currently zonked out on RAT DRUGS. She recovered great last time.

edit: Dummy is pulling out her staples. :argh: Vet appointment tomorrow. Hope the layers of glue, stitches, and subcutaneous sutures hold until then.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 31, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My rat wound up on the floor last night. Not sure whether deliberate or accidental, I guess we'll find out if he does it again, but my Little Monster trap worked!

I used to drink a lot of Monster energy drinks so I've been using the boxes they came in as disposable rat houses for some time. After some early accidental falls and the difficulty of getting them out from behind wherever they'd hidden, I took one of these boxes and left it on the floor in a discreet but accessible location.

When I couldn't find him in the cage this morning I checked the box, and yep, there he was. Just picked up the box with him in it, put him back in the cage, and put the box back. Much easier.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Has anybody had good luck getting a rat to resist the urge to pull out their surgical staples, stitches, and sutures? This two and a half year old is groggy for a little while after getting out of surgery but then proceeds to start tearing away at the foreign objects. We managed to find an elizabethan collar for rats but it won't arrive for a couple days and I really doubt it's going to work anyway.

It doesn't help that our new critters, about seven weeks old, have stressed her and her sister out. They want to wrestle constantly. The old girls don't appreciate that and have repeatedly ended these matches with extreme prejudice. One of the new ones seems to be getting the hint, the other does not. Currently, the surgery surviving, staple removing, stitch eating badass is spending the night by herself in the medium cage, as the doctor recommended she should be quarantined for a week. Some infected stuff had to be removed from the area, you see. Her sister has the huge three level cage to herself because the babies absolutely would not leave her alone. The kids will have to chill in the travel cage overnight, with water, food, and their little playhouse they both fit comfortably in.

All of this was avoidable but my partner doesn't listen to me until it's too late, but that's e/n stuff for another day.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I've heard of people using dixie cups with part of the bottom cut out as a makeshift cone. Maybe you could use that until you get the real one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've only had one go through surgery but they used internal sutures to reduce the risk of it. Apparently they use x ray film to make cones if necessary, but it's not ideal. Another option people apparently do is snug bandage wraps, but they're all fabric chewers and wriggle kings so it's always going to be a struggle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've seen people use sock sweaters to stop rats from chewing stitches.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Use a nice argyle sock to make them super dapper.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Now, that's just cruel.

To me. Because it's painfully cute.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

finky kept trying to chew her last surgical spot (groin) so they gave her an x-ray film cone and it was adorable and incredibly sad

i tried to get a sock sweater on her, but she wasn't having any of it

just make sure you adapt their environment for the cone, they can't use their hands or lift their head very well. soft, wet and lickable foods and lots of apologies :cry:

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Meet my first rats in over 10 years! Trying to get them comfortable with me but they really like to wait until they don't think I'm around to leave their little nesting spot and explore the cage. Had them for less than a week but they seem extra skittish :(

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just feed them lots of treats and they'll love you soon enough. Very adorable babies!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After not owning rats for years now, I finally got myself two baby boys.

I suck at taking photos but trust me, they're very good and handsome kids that absolutely love hiding in my sleeves. I named them Milk and Coffee.

ThreeStep posted:

Meet my first rats in over 10 years! Trying to get them comfortable with me but they really like to wait until they don't think I'm around to leave their little nesting spot and explore the cage. Had them for less than a week but they seem extra skittish :(

Try the good 'ol yogurt in the palm of your hand trick. Rats can't resist the yogurt but they also can't just take it and run away, so it's a good trick for getting them used to you.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 28, 2019

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Awwww yeah, cuddle puddle

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rat pile :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They decided to sleep in my hand and I couldn't move for almost an hour.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

This just came across my feed. Some scientists taught lab rats to play hide and seek - taking turns being seekers or hiders, with pretty concrete rules. Here's a video of an example game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCc_eK1F3pg

I'd love to know how they went about teaching the rules to the rats.

A less interesting summary of what's going on in the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufKhhA6jmUA

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

They decided to sleep in my hand and I couldn't move for almost an hour.

Since the death of 3 out of 4 of my rats I've been working hard to bond more with the remaining one who doesn't trust me much.

Today was the first time he chose to nap on my hand. For 5 hours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Taking rat photos is hard, especially with a lovely phone.

Coffee, in the front, is very smol, lazy and has a soft silky fur.
Milk, in the back, is big, restless and is very very fuzzy.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Since the death of 3 out of 4 of my rats I've been working hard to bond more with the remaining one who doesn't trust me much.

Today was the first time he chose to nap on my hand. For 5 hours.

Aww.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also I need to share this.

"gently caress all of this poo poo. Where are my yogies?"

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Just got bit hard enough to break the skin trying to pick up one of my rats :( . They do okay (if a bit squirmy) once you are actually holding them, but this one's been pretty defensive when my hand goes near her sometimes.

They both will take treats from my hand though, which is progress from a week ago I guess. And tje non-bitey one will actually eat when held or outside the cage.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

How long have you had them?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's strange. I never had a rat aggressively bite me. Even when I just got them from a breeder and they haven't seen me before.

The only times I got bit by rats is when I held some real good treat in my fingers and those idiots get so excited they try to take and run away with my whole hand.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Falstaff posted:

How long have you had them?
4 weeks. The amount of time I handle them everyday has been inconsistent though. Some days work has me dead and all I have time for is a few minutes. Working on that though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

4 weeks. The amount of time I handle them everyday has been inconsistent though. Some days work has me dead and all I have time for is a few minutes. Working on that though.

I was perhaps too hands off with my boys, but I would suggest not pushing their boundaries too hard too fast. Just gently ramping things up as they get comfortable with where they are with you already.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I was perhaps too hands off with my boys, but I would suggest not pushing their boundaries too hard too fast. Just gently ramping things up as they get comfortable with where they are with you already.

Yeah, I think my wife and I rushed in a little too fast with our expectations. Also getting rats right at the start of Retail Hell Season was probably a bad idea. So tonight I got a box of Cheerios and spent a few minutes luring Truffle (the bitey one) to the cage door and taking them from me. Even let me pet her while she ate one. so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

ThreeStep posted:

Yeah, I think my wife and I rushed in a little too fast with our expectations. Also getting rats right at the start of Retail Hell Season was probably a bad idea. So tonight I got a box of Cheerios and spent a few minutes luring Truffle (the bitey one) to the cage door and taking them from me. Even let me pet her while she ate one. so yay.

That's a good technique. I once saw an abused rat learn to trust people by doing what you're doing.