Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll let you in on a little secret that isn't a book spoiler. Humanity is hosed, we just haven't accepted it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Horizon Burning posted:

If you use the words 'grimdark' or listen to anyone who does then your brain has been poisoned by online memes.

My brain's definitely been poisoned by online memes but grimdark is a real term and has a wikipedia article and everything.

Rocksicles posted:

I'll let you in on a little secret that isn't a book spoiler. Humanity is hosed, we just haven't accepted it yet

Well yeah it sure looks like that don't it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Has Burn Gorman ever not played an rear end in a top hat?

Well, he was the stupid science bitch who couldn't make Charlie more smarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNjJutK_4A

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Grim dark whatever that is some low tier internet sludge but have we considered that maybe this show is just going to add fuel to the current impeachment debate dumpster fire in the United States? Murtry’s character seems to be written to explicitly draw attention to the problems run rampant right now with white nationalism and racism. That’s a good thing but I dunno if a sci-Fi show is the right place for it? Bezos already has the Washington Post as a platform I don’t think Expanse should be one as well. Also Avasarrala colluding with mars is a little too on the nose re Russia collusion.

Amos’ name backwards is Soma if that’s not clue enough that season 4 is a tacit attempt to brainwash viewers?!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Phenotype posted:

Has Burn Gorman ever not played an rear end in a top hat?

He was a good guy in Torchwood.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Grim dark whatever that is some low tier internet sludge but have we considered that maybe this show is just going to add fuel to the current impeachment debate dumpster fire in the United States? Murtry’s character seems to be written to explicitly draw attention to the problems run rampant right now with white nationalism and racism. That’s a good thing but I dunno if a sci-Fi show is the right place for it? Bezos already has the Washington Post as a platform I don’t think Expanse should be one as well. Also Avasarrala colluding with mars is a little too on the nose re Russia collusion.

Amos’ name backwards is Soma if that’s not clue enough that season 4 is a tacit attempt to brainwash viewers?!

I didnt pick up on that at all, for what it is worth. If at all, it's more ironic since it is about big corps.

In other news, I binged it all and now am out of Expanse and I hate myself

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

counterfeitsaint posted:

Saw the whole season, really enjoyed it.

Season spoilers My biggest complaint was the manufactured drama at the beginning with Naomi thinking she can out grit a literal heart attack rather than tell any of her friends about it. And I know it's normal for the named characters to not wear helmets during a battle so you can recognize them, but you think they would make an exception when it's during a spaceship breaching with a high chance of losing pressure.

Still some really minor nitpicks for a fun season.

No this makes sense since
One of the themes is that she really wants to be with Holden, who is literally a farm boy who likes forests, rain and earth and poo poo. Compare this to a couple today from different cultures, it's the same: at least one party goes through painful adjustment. She wanted to make this work and was afraid to disappoint Holden. I think he secretly dreams to move back to a planet at some point etc.
If you have been in such a relationship, it's not really that far off to hide your troubles with a new situation for the happiness of someone you love.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minor season spoilers: I'm glad they didn't have Elvi wanting to bone Holden like in the book, that was definitely the worst part of a pretty weak book. Unfortunately they didn't seem to give her much of a personality aside from "scientist".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

caps on caps on caps posted:

No this makes sense since
One of the themes is that she really wants to be with Holden, who is literally a farm boy who likes forests, rain and earth and poo poo. Compare this to a couple today from different cultures, it's the same: at least one party goes through painful adjustment. She wanted to make this work and was afraid to disappoint Holden. I think he secretly dreams to move back to a planet at some point etc.
If you have been in such a relationship, it's not really that far off to hide your troubles with a new situation for the happiness of someone you love.

Also hiding a personal health condition is by far the least stupid thing Naomi has done for love.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My least favorite part of the season: the overwrought introduction of Marco, particularly his capture and release followed by Ashford's goose chase which had too many improbable things going on. it felt to me like Marco came off as a touch too goofy and that he really shouldn't have made it out alive after being captured for the first time, especially given that we haven't really seen any aspect of the OPA politics that really helped make sense of why the good OPA guys were willing to let this guy go, it was all conversational exposition which really didn't hit the mark for me. this is the one thing the book did better.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

He really wasn’t that great of a character in the show. He carried much more might and charisma in the books. I honestly feel they could’ve found a better actor that didn’t just come off as a pure greasy liar.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

He really wasn’t that great of a character in the show. He carried much more might and charisma in the books. I honestly feel they could’ve found a better actor that didn’t just come off as a pure greasy liar.

That's exactly how he is in the books

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t understand why Ashford let him live, if Ashford was going to die anyway why not kill the man he was there to kill?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

whole lotta Three Body Problem spoilers

Yo I already finished these, and it's one of the best SciFi trilogies ever written, but these are hardcore loving spoilers that should not loving be here, what the gently caress

Woden
May 6, 2006

Oasx posted:

Parts of the Avasarala story were odd: Having the general (or whatever he was) resign over a few marines getting killed didn't make sense. Sure capturing Inaros would have made for good PR, but the alternative was to blow up a ship full of innocent civilians. Capture was the only sane choice.

Also, I would think that events on Ilus more than proved why they shouldn't rush to colonize the new planets. Ilus was filled with eyeball eating micro-organisms, killer slugs and a whole bunch of protomolecule machinery just waiting to get re-activated. The idea that the planet was now safe was absurd.

That and how would they know if they got him for sure if they blew up the ship? That scene bugged me too.

rndmnmbr posted:

Ahahaha just you wait. Marcos is 100% worth the sacrifice of a ship full of innocent civilians. 100%.

Nothing was stopping them from nuking it after the failed raid though.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Oasx posted:

He was a good guy in Torchwood.

He was a rapist in Torchwood.

He was a good guy in Pacific Rim, even if he didn't particularly like his dumbass co-worker.

The joke about his having 'one of those faces' was pretty hilarious, though, given that he's apparently a really nice guy in real life.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We are the ones who gently caress

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woden posted:

That and how would they know if they got him for sure if they blew up the ship? That scene bugged me too.

Nothing was stopping them from nuking it after the failed raid though.

Uh, the ship blew up itself in the failed raid, there was nothing to nuke.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fister Roboto posted:

Minor season spoilers: I'm glad they didn't have Elvi wanting to bone Holden like in the book, that was definitely the worst part of a pretty weak book. Unfortunately they didn't seem to give her much of a personality aside from "scientist".

I'm gonna post this unspoiled because I really feel like people should know about it: It was a fairly major plot point in the book that one of the female side characters wasn't thinking right because she was horny and wanted to gently caress Holden really bad. After one of the male scientists points this out to her, she fucks him instead and is then clear-headed enough to solve problems.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Nah. The Expanse is part of a long line of Sci-Fi that preaches against big corporations crushing humanity under the boot. See:

1981, Outland
1986, Aliens
...and there is certainly more, those two give the most gritty similar feeling though of The Expanse to me personally.

The debate scene between Gao and Avasarala, and Avasarala's funeral speech scene, the venal nature of a political campaign with poll-wary consultants, and Avasarala's making calls on assassination raids (aka drone strikes against terrorists) were definitely on-point for our current political life. But I don't think you could say it was directly analogous to president Trump and impeachment, more just a jaded and cynical overall view of the democratic process where you have a significant percentage of the population disenfranchised (the people on Basic).

Avasarala colluding with Mars? If anything in Season 4 I think we see Avasarala becoming more like the people she displaced (Errinwright, Secretary General Esteban Sorrento-Gillis), becoming a machiavellian tribalistic rear end in a top hat clinging to power.

The Expanse is very curious to me, I find it deeply subversive, something Bezos, if he is an evil genius, wouldn't be putting out. Similar to "The Boys", which is also a deeply cynical and subversive show.. but he does have the Jack Ryan series, which basically appears to be kinda like '24' all over again.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I forgot which ep was this I'm confused on how blowing up the landing pad like they depicted resulted in the type of damage the landing ship experienced in the first episode. It looked like things were being shot at it from the bottom and side, I don't see how blowing up the landing pad would cause this since the ship was clearly still very high up

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I'm gonna post this unspoiled because I really feel like people should know about it: It was a fairly major plot point in the book that one of the female side characters wasn't thinking right because she was horny and wanted to gently caress Holden really bad. After one of the male scientists points this out to her, she fucks him instead and is then clear-headed enough to solve problems.
I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden because she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from PTSD and fixated on Holden as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out it breaks her fevered obsession and then she can think clearly.

The whole thing was one of the most annoying things about the book.

edit: gently caress it, I'm spoilering it just in case.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Slamhound posted:

I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden because she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from PTSD and fixated on Holden as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out it breaks her fevered obsession and then she can think clearly.

The whole thing was one of the most annoying things about the book.

I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden so bad she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from blueballs and was fixated on dick as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out, she settles for his dick instead so she can think clearly.

They covered this on an old documentary from the 90s called Seinfeld. When a woman doesn't have sex for a while, it's like she's taking the trash out to the curb but it's not getting picked up, so everything so gets backed up she can't think straight. Ironically, this works backward for men -- when test subject George Costanza stopped having sex, it made him smarter and more clear-headed because sex was usually clouding his brain.

e: also, I think you're good on the spoilers -- this is a stupid minor plot point from the books that doesn't appear at all in the show. (Definitely for the better.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 15, 2019

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

I forgot which ep was this I'm confused on how blowing up the landing pad like they depicted resulted in the type of damage the landing ship experienced in the first episode. It looked like things were being shot at it from the bottom and side, I don't see how blowing up the landing pad would cause this since the ship was clearly still very high up

The original plan was to blow up the landing pad and send a message that the inners weren't welcome. But the problem with setting the charges hosed up the timing so the shuttle was low enough to be damaged by the explosion. Lucia has a change of heart, she doesn't want to hurt anyone, hence the other belters knocking out our POV character and going ahead with the plan anyway, leaving us in the dark as to what really happened.

My impression was that the explosion triggered the swarm of protomolecule shards, since the protomolecule has a tendency to overreaction whenever a threat is discovered

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Well thanks to someone in this thread I no longer have the desire to finish The Dark Forest :(

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
I'm impressed with these OPA terrorists and their Earth rock-throwing plan.

The show doesn't give you the information if the rock(s) they are planning on throwing are

1. Extinction level rocks, or
2. City-destroying rocks with the potential for 10's of millions killed and long term devastation for billions.
3. Smaller, city-destroying rocks with potential for 10's of millions killed.

Any of the above would be pretty ballsy. It raises the question; just how crazy are these OPA belters?

If you gave an exploited sweat shop or coal mine worker living in China or Vietnam the capacity to drop nukes on the mainland USA and kill 10's of millions in order to avenge their poor working conditions while the capitalist pigs live in luxury... would they do it?

Also note that Earth after being hit by the rocks would still probably retain close to its full military capacity. I assume Earth's navy is deployed in space and wouldn't be affected by a planetary impact. In a previous season ground-launched ISBM's were shown being launched from Earth - Earth could retaliate with strikes and deploy the navy to wipe out every single belter station and settlement in the system. Inaros seems like a smart guy, does the high possibility of massive lethal blowback not occur to him? Only possible out I see is if a revolutionary fascist movement on Mars still bitter at Earth somehow makes an alliance with the Belters and has the capability of mobilizing Mar's entire military as defense vs the Earth's military assets. The the new picture of the system would be Earth as a rubble pile and Mars and the Belt being the new potentially unified lead powers. But all through season 4 we're seeing Mars mothballing their fleet. And the show has established a strong animosity between Belter and Martian common people.

Anyhow, great show, effin' love it.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

As much as I dislike black bar ridden discussion, I have to remind everyone to please try to avoid book spoilers. At least label and tag them properly, if they are pertinent to discussion.

Expanse threads can become a poo poo-show if we let the book spoilers seep in. Thanks.

Speaking of which, at some point, I want to remove the spoiler tag rules( for the season, not for book stuff), as I feel they impede open discussion. When do people feel is reasonable to do that, if at all?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden so bad she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from blueballs and was fixated on dick as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out, she settles for his dick instead so she can think clearly.

They covered this on an old documentary from the 90s called Seinfeld. When a woman doesn't have sex for a while, it's like she's taking the trash out to the curb but it's not getting picked up, so everything so gets backed up she can't think straight. Ironically, this works backward for men -- when test subject George Costanza stopped having sex, it made him smarter and more clear-headed because sex was usually clouding his brain.

e: also, I think you're good on the spoilers -- this is a stupid minor plot point from the books that doesn't appear at all in the show. (Definitely for the better.)

No, I think you're getting it backwards! Her fixation on Holden mirrors the solar system's fixation where he's the Great Man, while the other scientist was all like https://i.imgur.com/QV01rv9.mp4

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

gfarrell80 posted:

The show doesn't give you the information if the rock(s) they are planning on throwing are

2. City-destroying rocks with the potential for 10's of millions killed and long term devastation for billions.

Any of the above would be pretty ballsy. It raises the question; just how crazy are these OPA belters?

If you gave an exploited sweat shop or coal mine worker living in China or Vietnam the capacity to drop nukes on the mainland USA and kill 10's of millions in order to avenge their poor working conditions while the capitalist pigs live in luxury... would they do it?

Also note that Earth after being hit by the rocks would still probably retain close to its full military capacity. I assume Earth's navy is deployed in space and wouldn't be affected by a planetary impact. In a previous season ground-launched ISBM's were shown being launched from Earth - Earth could retaliate with strikes and deploy the navy to wipe out every single belter station and settlement in the system. Inaros seems like a smart guy, does the high possibility of massive lethal blowback not occur to him? Only possible out I see is if a revolutionary fascist movement on Mars still bitter at Earth somehow makes an alliance with the Belters and has the capability of mobilizing Mar's entire military as defense vs the Earth's military assets. The the new picture of the system would be Earth as a rubble pile and Mars and the Belt being the new potentially unified lead powers. But all through season 4 we're seeing Mars mothballing their fleet. And the show has established a strong animosity between Belter and Martian common people.

The one that took out the dinosaurs was something like 13 kilometers in radius, no ship in the expense is that big, not even Medina station, so the rock we've seen has to be significantly smaller.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Svaha posted:

As much as I dislike black bar ridden discussion, I have to remind everyone to please try to avoid book spoilers. At least label and tag them properly, if they are pertinent to discussion.

Expanse threads can become a poo poo-show if we let the book spoilers seep in. Thanks.

Speaking of which, at some point, I want to remove the spoiler tag rules( for the season, not for book stuff), as I feel they impede open discussion. When do people feel is reasonable to do that, if at all?

One month may feel like a long time, but I see little reason not to play it safe. It's not that hard to click/tap on a few bars.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

counterfeitsaint posted:

in the books they just land on their side which is far more realistic

I mean,

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Is this why when I don’t masturbate it has the effect it does? I got two raises in November.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HatJudge posted:

My impression was that the explosion triggered the swarm of protomolecule shards, since the protomolecule has a tendency to overreaction whenever a threat is discovered.

I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that Holden triggered the swarm and everything else by bringing Miller, who just started flipping switches and turning things on willy-nilly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

theblackw0lf posted:

Well thanks to someone in this thread I no longer have the desire to finish The Dark Forest :(

I'm glad I hated Three Body Problem so much I wasn't planning to read the sequels.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gfarrell80 posted:

The thing they don't explain in the show is that with the opening of the ring gates, Mars and earth no longer are dependent on resources from the belt to function, and trade all but stops with the belt. Without trade the belt literally dies, a total genocide of all belters who can't live on a planet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Overall the show has consistently lowered and also raised the stakes, paradoxically

For example, eros was a murder of 1.5 million people, not 100k as in the show. But at the same time earth got nuked last season to make the war more intense than in the books.

The slow zone incidents also were much more devastating too, killing or injuring like 2/3 of everyone in the slow zone

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Phi230 posted:

The thing they don't explain in the show is that with the opening of the ring gates, Mars and earth no longer are dependent on resources from the belt to function, and trade all but stops with the belt. Without trade the belt literally dies, a total genocide of all belters who can't live on a planet

I don't know that trade would stop with the belt, at least right away. It's going to be a while before there are mining colonies up and making consistent deliveries, and even then, it's probably an order of magnitude easier to get stuff from the belt than to ship out to the Ring Gate, go through weirdspace to another Gate, travel from the Gate to the new colony, then haul cargo all the way back.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is this why when I don’t masturbate it has the effect it does? I got two raises in November.

My friend, this is exactly the reason. It's science.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phenotype posted:

I don't know that trade would stop with the belt, at least right away.

This is where the show suffers a bit, the timeline is different. In this book it's been a few years since the slow zone incident, huge numbers of ships are going through the gates to colonize new worlds, Medina Station's drum has been filled with dirt and turned into a nice park, etc. Way more time has passed overall in the book than the show so the timeframe doesn't quite make sense.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

I don't know that trade would stop with the belt, at least right away. It's going to be a while before there are mining colonies up and making consistent deliveries, and even then, it's probably an order of magnitude easier to get stuff from the belt than to ship out to the Ring Gate, go through weirdspace to another Gate, travel from the Gate to the new colony, then haul cargo all the way back.

My friend, this is exactly the reason. It's science.

Again, in the show they make it look like the rings are closed for business but in the books it's already a gold rush. Mars and the belt are depopulating and the belt is already getting neglected. Mars is even worse off than in the show, Bobby notes the whole mariner valley seems empty in comparison to before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
PSA: Explosions create shrapnel.