Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love a GTA game to end with the Main character working with the police force as a plea bargain and arresting every lovely boss he's had throughout the game. Not allowing them a cool death or a meaningful sentiment, just "You're gonna sit in a small box for a few years, have fun! Play nice in the exercise yard with all your former enemies!" Then the FBI to take out the corrupt cops he learns about. Just "He's the best driver and fighter in the city, we may as well use him..."

Hell, just reverse the dynamic - instead of the bosses reducing you to their level, you encourage them to rise to yours. We need another Jimmy hopkins.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Why is Bully so incredibly good? It's kind of amazing they've not been able to pull off a narrative that fits the gameplay and doesn't make the protagonist seem like a total idiot since.

Edit: bully also has the best villain. Gary is such a little poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Werong Bustope posted:

Why is Bully so incredibly good? It's kind of amazing they've not been able to pull off a narrative that fits the gameplay and doesn't make the protagonist seem like a total idiot since.

Edit: bully also has the best villain. Gary is such a little poo poo.

I just love his line during the final boss: "The head likes me! I tied him up, turned his dumb school into a battleground, got kids expelled (unfairly), put several others in therapy and HE STILL LIKES ME!" Even during the chapters in which he disappears, Petey just points out (paraphrased, this is basically the spirit of what he says) "You know what he's like. If we can't see him, THAT JUST MEANS HE'S SETTING SOMETHING UP!"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I just love his line during the final boss: "The head likes me! I tied him up, turned his dumb school into a battleground, got kids expelled (unfairly), put several others in therapy and HE STILL LIKES ME!" Even during the chapters in which he disappears, Petey just points out (paraphrased, this is basically the spirit of what he says) "You know what he's like. If we can't see him, THAT JUST MEANS HE'S SETTING SOMETHING UP!"

High school Hitler, defeated by a boy who's not the brightest but who's just too stubborn and good at punching to be stopped. Ahh, I need to replay Bully.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

I just checked. Apparently Tommy confirmably survives through to at least San Andreas, which is set in 1992, six years after Vice City. There's no confirmation he's around in any game later than that, but honestly, I'm surprised he lasted six years. I'd expect him to fall after six months.

Interestingly, Tommy was supposed to be in San Andreas, like in person, but the game was being developed during a dispute with Ray Liotta about royalty payments so they cut him from the script.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love a GTA game to end with the Main character working with the police force as a plea bargain and arresting every lovely boss he's had throughout the game. Not allowing them a cool death or a meaningful sentiment, just "You're gonna sit in a small box for a few years, have fun! Play nice in the exercise yard with all your former enemies!" Then the FBI to take out the corrupt cops he learns about. Just "He's the best driver and fighter in the city, we may as well use him..."

Hell, just reverse the dynamic - instead of the bosses reducing you to their level, you encourage them to rise to yours. We need another Jimmy hopkins.

That's basically "Mafia", the framing story is the MC telling a cop everything they need to take down the local Don. Mafia does some really neat stuff with the gameplay systems and story, shame the writer is a neo-nazi.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hel posted:

That's basically "Mafia", the framing story is the MC telling a cop everything they need to take down the local Don. Mafia does some really neat stuff with the gameplay systems and story, shame the writer is a neo-nazi.

At least Mafia III's writer isn't a nazi. That's the one game I can think of that handles racism really, really well. Not just the "they'll call the cops on you for walking into a store" type obvious type, but also the condescending politeness you get from people on your side (which the game calls "Bless your heart racism", the best name for it).

It's a shame that it's an open world game without fast travel for some inexplicable reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mafia’s cool because it ends with your character being gunned down in his front yard by two hitmen after going into witness protection.

In Mafia II, you get a mission to take your buddy and kill the first game’s protagonist. It’s framed as just another little busywork job you have to do as a low-level shooter.

Spoilers for 17- and 9-year-old games, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Then in Mafia 3 the main character of 2 becomes one of your lieutenants.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't expect 3 to tie-up the loose ends from 2, given that its a completely different setting, but I was really glad it did.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

While it's annoying in practice, I did like the fact you actually have to obey traffic laws in the Mafia games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of liking that you bounce between the bosses in GTA 3 as they need you. Like Salvatore needed a couple of things done, but then I had to see Toni for a while and now the Triad situation has escalated to straight up terrorism, it's made Salvatore take notice again. Rather than "Do all the missions for boss A. Now do all of Boss B's tasks etc"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

wafflemoose posted:

While it's annoying in practice, I did like the fact you actually have to obey traffic laws in the Mafia games.

Yeah, I like this in the original Driver as well, despite the game having the most impossible first and last missions. Really made you feel you had to keep your head down when there's cops around.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

wafflemoose posted:

This is part of why the story works so well, you start off believing the lie that the Mafia äre civilized and follow the rules and as that facade falls apart you start to master the system and longer need to follow the laws most of the time.

Mafia 2 works roughly the same way, but 3 changed up the formula.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just blew up a boat in GTA 3. The best part of open world games are when certain locations change forever, it's always satisfying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Just wait until you see what happens to the destroyed bridge :v:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
GTA V lost me when (spoilers for V I guess) Johnny gets unceremoniously killed by Trevor in his first appearance. Story-wise, V is probably the only game I've played where I hated literally every character and just wished all of them would just die already.

Though I kept playing it because Euphoria-enhanced ragdoll physics are literally the funniest thing to ever watch. Just love watching things like people getting caught on the hood of my car after I hit them, or my character flying 200 feet after a car accident because I didn't wear a seat belt.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Don Gato posted:

GTA V lost me when (spoilers for V I guess) Johnny gets unceremoniously killed by Trevor in his first appearance. Story-wise, V is probably the only game I've played where I hated literally every character and just wished all of them would just die already.

Though I kept playing it because Euphoria-enhanced ragdoll physics are literally the funniest thing to ever watch. Just love watching things like people getting caught on the hood of my car after I hit them, or my character flying 200 feet after a car accident because I didn't wear a seat belt.

If you get lucky, neither you or the person you collide with head-on are wearing seatbelts. A sick-rear end headbutt results.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Don Gato posted:

Pretty much this, virtually every single character in the game is an unlikable piece of poo poo, but the gameplay itself was a blast to gently caress around with. Shame GTAO is just an ungodly grindfest unless you pay out the rear end for micro-transaction poo poo. :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tangentially related, but I feel like GTA V RP would probably be my jam but I'm pretty sure any server worth a drat is either locked up tight to keep the riff-raff out or a powderkeg of drama waiting to go off or both.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's one of the reasons the writing of RDR2 surprised me so much, in a good way. Trying to play Good Cowboy is not only rewarding but feels very consistent with Arthur's journey through the game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I liked this Easter egg sequence in Shovel Knight: King of Cards. There aren’t any upgrades or collectibles, just a weird, fun sequence with a lot of little dialogue options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckhk2F3GiU

The music totally syncs up with the singing at the end.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 16, 2019

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Samuringa posted:

It's one of the reasons the writing of RDR2 surprised me so much, in a good way. Trying to play Good Cowboy is not only rewarding but feels very consistent with Arthur's journey through the game.

The weirdest part is at camp you can sit with characters and hear optional dialogue, and for quite a few arthur would talk about going crazy and all the killings he was doing and getting used to doing and start openly worrying about his own sanity. A lot of the characters flat out did not know how to handle that at all, and would say arthur needs to go for a walk and get his head straight or things to that effect.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like how GTA 3 humanises Don Salvatore's wife Maria. She goes from seeming like the usual snooty above the law Don's Wife, but then she fucks up, badly, maybe during an argument, and claims she's slept with Claude. Suddenly she's warning you about the car bomb, partially because she's fleeing the island with her friend and she feels like she needs someone to protect her on the way because "Oh poo poo my husband is trying to kill us, I said something stupid, I don't know why it just slipped out, I should have been more careful oh god I'm scared...:ohdear:"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Boneworks

https://twitter.com/qtpop/status/1206294213668876296?s=20

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In the original Shovel Knight campaign, a bard’s lost music sheets are scattered across the game, which you can collect and return them to him.

During the new King of Cards campaign which serves as a prequel, King Knight gains control of an airship, and many NPCs including the bard join him. At the end, King Knight betrays everyone to accept the Enchantress’ offer of kingship. Following that is a scene of her minions attacking the airship, and the bard trips and drops armfuls of music sheets overboard in the chaos.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 16, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just tuned out while some rando courier was yammering at me in a cutscene in Death Stranding and when I looked back at the screen THERE'S A GOT DANG NUKE ON MY BACK RIGGED TO BLOW UP IF I DO SOMETHING WRONG :stonklol:
I'd like to think Sam went through the same emotional roller coaster from bored dismissal to :wtf: as I did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't read this until you've completed the mission: It's actually the opposite. You the player are the only one that knows it's a nuke, which is even more funny imo. Sam has no idea it's a nuke until Fragile pops open the case in the optional mid-mission cutscene and is like OH poo poo ITS A NUKE.

This means that he not only did not recognize it was clearly Higgs who gave him the nuke, but he also didn't bother assessing why the guy said to be careful with it or why it's for Fragile and not part of his original delivery. He didn't ask why it is glowing and vibrates if you jiggle it too hard, did not ask why it's beeping, and did not ponder why his delivery was now suddenly a timed one. He even TAKES A QUICK NAP WHILE WAITING FOR FRAGILE WITH A NUKE JUST HANGIN OUT. :allears:

On the bright side, this tells us apparently the cargo equipment screen is just a gameplay mechanic and Sam can't actually see it!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Dec 17, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Don't read this until you've completed the mission: It's actually the opposite. You the player are the only one that knows it's a nuke, which is even more funny imo. Sam has no idea it's a nuke until Fragile pops open the case in the optional mid-mission cutscene and is like OH poo poo ITS A NUKE.

This means that he not only did not recognize it was clearly Higgs who gave him the nuke, but he also didn't bother assessing why the guy said to be careful with it or why it's for Fragile and not part of his original delivery. He didn't ask why it is glowing and vibrates if you jiggle it too hard, did not ask why it's beeping, and did not ponder why his delivery was now suddenly a timed one. He even TAKES A QUICK NAP WHILE WAITING FOR FRAGILE WITH A NUKE JUST HANGIN OUT. :allears:

On the bright side, this tells us apparently the cargo equipment screen is just a gameplay mechanic and Sam can't actually see it!

Spoiler for end game stuff Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get a note from Higgs later in the game saying he straight up tagged it as a nuclear bomb because he thought it would be funny and because he thought no one reads the tag anyways? Which would mean Sam can see the equipment screen, he just doesn't read it, like Higgs said.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just his job five days a week

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty funny...I stopped right at the cargo screen at first, and made some assumptions about what Sam knew at that point.

The only thing I didn't like, Fragile knowingly getting a mysterious package from Higgs and just opening it up anyway, like, he's only sent her a surprise nuke once before, who's to say whether this box could be good or bad :confused:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think Sam even berates himself in the cutscene for not realizing sooner.

Anyway I'm playing Zanki Zero, a really loving weird anime dungeon crawler with resurrection mechanics and trying to get children killed in as many different ways as possible for bonuses. I'm really enjoying a few mechanics in it that make things easier, notably that the map doesn't fill in a wall if there's something to examine on it and you haven't yet. So it's easy to glance at your map and know exactly if you've missed something like a potential document or a switch or something because there'll just be a wall missing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
(DS) If you don't like the game insisting your character is dumb, you can go throw it in the tar immediately without prompting. Or if you want your character to be as dumb as possible you can make the delivery as requested without talking to Fragile and get a game over

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The addition of ancient terrible map Crash to the current CoD:MW rotation has really emphasized how honestly well-designed a lot of the current levels are by comparison. There's a couple that have some minor issues in Domination games, but for the most part every single level has a really good "flow" with actual choices to make about how to get to your objective, cool firing lines, and interesting chokepoints.

I loving hate Crash, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

The addition of ancient terrible map Crash to the current CoD:MW rotation has really emphasized how honestly well-designed a lot of the current levels are by comparison. There's a couple that have some minor issues in Domination games, but for the most part every single level has a really good "flow" with actual choices to make about how to get to your objective, cool firing lines, and interesting chokepoints.

I loving hate Crash, though.

I loved crash back in the day, but ten years of CoD improving map design did it no favors.

Though if they did Christmas crash again I would totally play that for nostalgia’s sake.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think part of the reason I'm so sour on it now is that the veterans all know exactly where to camp and snipe for maximum efficiency (something that is way less effective in the modern maps) and all the newbies seeing it for the first time just get ground up to sausage immediately so there was this weird dichotomy for the first week or so where even good players would seemingly turn garbage and mediocre players would become godlike, but only on this specific map.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm watching an LP of Resi 7, as I'm terrible with horror games, and find it interesting that you fight the family in the order that you do. Normally in this type of game/story the patriarch dies last after all the other members have died, and you normally deal with them in order of importance to the family, like in Haunting Ground where you go "Caretaker, experiment/family confindante, son, father". In Resi 7 however, the parents die first.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm watching an LP of Resi 7, as I'm terrible with horror games, and find it interesting that you fight the family in the order that you do. Normally in this type of game/story the patriarch dies last after all the other members have died, and you normally deal with them in order of importance to the family, like in Haunting Ground where you go "Caretaker, experiment/family confindante, son, father". In Resi 7 however, the parents die first.

they save the creepy brother's area for last... and you don't even kill him! that's in the DLC.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
To be fair, Jack does die last. He just takes a while to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Went back to the Mad Max game from a few years back just to pass the time until RE3 is out. One detail I really love is that the final outfit upgrade for Max is this super cool amalgam of all Max's outfits from the movies.

He's got the kneebrace and jacket from the Road Warrior (without the zipper, making it a mix of RW's and FR's), the cowboy boots from Beyond Thunderdome, the blood tube and paracord bracelet from Fury Road, among other little touches. :allears: