Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm too old to adapt to anything other than 120-130bpm with audible 4/4 beat, so I definitely prefer custom songs (--edit: and maps, for visual diversity) at some point. None of that dubstep like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm too old to adapt to anything other than 120-130bpm with audible 4/4 beat, so I definitely prefer custom songs (--edit: and maps, for visual diversity) at some point. None of that dubstep like poo poo.

Because dubstep never has a 4/4????

(Some of the songs in the game are both, lol)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

(Some of the songs in the game are both, lol)

Reminds me of the beat saber ranking team denying maps rank because the people don't understand breakbeat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

EbolaIvory posted:

Reminds me of the beat saber ranking team denying maps rank because the people don't understand breakbeat.

Could have explained it to them in terms they know, just reference some sort of anime or video game.

"A breakbeat is a beat that sounds like the boss music from Super Mario RPG" or something i dunno

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hellsau posted:

Could have explained it to them in terms they know, just reference some sort of anime or video game.

"A breakbeat is a beat that sounds like the boss music from Super Mario RPG" or something i dunno

Nah they kept saying that notes were mapped to nothing, but they don't understand that like, it was.

The ranking team, while getting better, is a bunch of kids who don't understand music on even the most basic level it seems.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is Microsoft still selling the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap for $75 on ebay? I can't find the post or the listing and it looks like the prices have shot up on Amazon. I'm tired of the regular strap on my Quest so I want to Frankenquest it up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sigher posted:

Is Microsoft still selling the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap for $75 on ebay? I can't find the post or the listing and it looks like the prices have shot up on Amazon. I'm tired of the regular strap on my Quest so I want to Frankenquest it up.

Nope, that source dried up. Hence the price gouging.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Boneworks is fun, finished the story today. Only thing I didn't love about it is the lack of a save system. Also, this is a me problem, but in the heat of the moment I keep trying to holster my weapon and end up just throwing it behind me- not realizing my gun is gone until I reach for it again and whip out an empty hand like a dope.

Also wish that when enemies died, their ragdolls stopped colliding with the player's body. Nothing like getting stuck on a fresh corpse trying to get some space between me and the other, living enemies.

Kinda wish you could rebind controls too; I'd love to replace the left hand's menu button with the slow motion button.

Also, is there not a way to adjust your hand's position on a melee weapon without letting go of it first? I see the gif on the store page showing off that as a feature - did that get removed?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Goodguy3 posted:

Also, is there not a way to adjust your hand's position on a melee weapon without letting go of it first? I see the gif on the store page showing off that as a feature - did that get removed?

If you hold the weapon with two hands and release the grip (but not the trigger) on one of the hands, that hand will go into kind of an ok hand 👌 and you can slide it up and down.

To do it one handed you can lightly toss the weapon up and then grab as the lower part is near your hand (I never got very good at this).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Those songs have sections without percussion notes on every of the four bars, that are long enough to throw me off every drat time.

EbolaIvory posted:

Uh, did the definition of breakbeat change or something? I listened to it non-stop 15-20 years ago and it followed "traditional" electronic music, as in not skipping bars on the basslines or implying notes.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 15, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, that source dried up. Hence the price gouging.

Bah, gently caress me.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those songs have sections without percussion notes on every of the four bars, that are long enough to throw me off every drat time.

Uh, did the definition of breakbeat change or something? I listened to it non-stop 15-20 years ago and it followed "traditional" electronic music, as in not skipping bars on the basslines or implying notes.

Yeah the problem is if something is weird and might have say 4 or something ticks of something that sounds like a trash can lid, has 4 notes mapped to it, they don't identify that as part of the overall beat/whatever of said song.

I forget the wording on the reasoning but it was basically "notes mapped to nothing". When they were very clearly part of the overall beat of poo poo.

Its getting better these days though. Thankfully.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Boneworks is good

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Boneworks is really good and it makes me think HL:A is going to be incredible

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got the Anker cable today and I'm finally trying out the Link stuff but the headset keeps disconnecting and it's pretty stuttery, is this par for the course right now? The former issue seems to be completely hosed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did BoneWorkers say they were working on implementing more saves or should I just say meh and go play it now?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rolo posted:

Did BoneWorkers say they were working on implementing more saves or should I just say meh and go play it now?

They did but just play it. Theres like, "check point enough" as long as you keep your weapons holstered falling into death pits or something. Any other death you can just run back to where you died and get your poo poo since the game don't reset the levels physics and stuff.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sigher posted:

So I got the Anker cable today and I'm finally trying out the Link stuff but the headset keeps disconnecting and it's pretty stuttery, is this par for the course right now? The former issue seems to be completely hosed.

Don't have that issue with mine using the Anker cable (if it's the 10' that was recommended), might try other USB3 ports on your machine.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Also try updating your pc oculus software to accept beta updates. Mine stopped connecting at all until I did that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

sigher posted:

Like everything Oculus has ever released, it's incredibly picky about your USB ports.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Magic Leap's building off their hot success of selling 6,000 units in six months to announce they're releasing the Magic Leap 2 in 2021! Targeted at "Enterprise and Prosumers", at the same price the original one released for of $2,300USD. They may as well have just said "Enterprise sales", because it sure wouldn't have been the 'regular' consumers buying the first version too.

Has Microsoft's Hololens gotten any real traction outside of the US military?

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Managed to get through two levels of Boneworks mostly by straferunning, since my forward movement is still limited. Even with that limitation, I still had a blast. I love how much optional crap there is to do/find in the levels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AR (at least the transparent, pass-through kind) isn't going to be a mass market thing for a very long time. The optics are just way too hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

AR (at least the transparent, pass-through kind) isn't going to be a mass market thing for a very long time. The optics are just way too hard.

I think realistically VR does most of what companies are trying to market AR for (training, design work, etc) a lot better and a lot cheaper. There's no need to fundamentally be in an existing room and build around it when you can just generate a virtual space in an empty room that's far more relevant to the task at hand.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

sigher posted:

I keep disconnecting after a few minutes. I'm not sure if it's my old motherboard's USB 3 ports, the extension cable, or cable I have. I read that disabling the nvidia overlay, if you're using on nvidia gpu, can help. I just tried and went longer than I usually do. Not sure if my last dc was due to me going from a steam vr game back to the Oculus menu, or what, though.

I decided to grab Virtual Desktop. It worked great except I don't have a 5ghz router and some games had a harder time with the controllers than Link did. There's a 5ghz router I can borrow from a family member to better try it out.

Also, playing Moss makes me wish there was a Dark Souls game in this format.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Chronos is basically Dark Souls x Zelda, simplified from those games but the essence is there. great game.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

SirViver posted:

VR headsets are generally set up with a focus distance of about 2 meters, so you need whatever glasses that help you see clearly at that distance. Neither reader nor computer lenses will help you there, and I think progressive lenses aren't exactly well suited for VR use either. So I guess you need to get a pair of regular "far distance" glasses / prescription inserts.

As per VR Optician (regarding the correction parameters):

Also:
Thanks for this! Put on my fixed distance glasses and things improved immediately. No more straining to read text. Zero issues watching a 2D movie or playing anything PCar2. Think I still need to tweak some setting and probably play PCar2 in 2D for a bit, but the screen tears like crazy when playing PCars--no issues in WarThunder or DiRT. Can stay in Creed until I get tired. So, thanks again for all the tips to get comfortable wearing the Rift.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait what? They don't carry over?

I've stopped playing and am waiting until the savegame patch.
Each level is meant to start you with no weapons (but saved ammo from previous levels)

The reclamation bin is how you get items into the sandbox mode

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Each level is meant to start you with no weapons (but saved ammo from previous levels)

The reclamation bin is how you get items into the sandbox mode

After the first level there's always a vending machine at the start of the level for you to buy guns if you don't feel like waiting for the game to give you one.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Boneworks is good, but the last hour is a giant WTF did I just watch type of moment.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Turin Turambar posted:

Vacation Simulator is much better than Job Simulator. Still, I would say 30€ is asking too much for it, but it will be a nice buy at 20€. JS was just a proof of concept of setting + interaction system. Vacation Simulator takes that and makes something closer to a game. In this case, a collecthaton/achievement hunting game, but one where it's fun to collect them. You do activities like skill minigames, puzzles, photos, painting, etc and it's all well integrated with exploration and some amusing humor. The locales are varied and pleasant to see and there is a ton of interactive poo poo, videogames you find for your console, customization options, etc.

Thanks for this post, I've been enjoying Job Simulator on my quest and will probably get this if it's better than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nep-Nep posted:

Thanks for this post, I've been enjoying Job Simulator on my quest and will probably get this if it's better than that.

Yeah its real good. I've played them each a good lot, they're some of my favorite VR games because of how simple and interaction-driven they are.

Vacation Sim is like job sim but there's a progression. Its also got a bit more to do, but not a toooooooon more. But if you liked Job Sim its the same but better, can't go wrong.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://twitter.com/qtpop/status/1206294213668876296?s=20

Boneworks is fun. So many situations that can be silly fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/qtpop/status/1206294213668876296?s=20

Boneworks is fun. So many situations that can be silly fun.

:vince:

Holy poo poo VR is the future

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You can put the bin onto yourself too and run around.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Free shield!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How much does the lower refresh rate hurt the Quest? Someone warned me about it, otherwise I'm willing to pull the trigger on ordering one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to find the spot in one of my VODs of me putting a cardboard box on my head, crouching, and running around looking through the handle hole like solid snake.

>_>

Mantis42 posted:

How much does the lower refresh rate hurt the Quest? Someone warned me about it, otherwise I'm willing to pull the trigger on ordering one.

Meh. I think you'll be fine unless you're super anal.

I mean. I really don't have a major complaint just using the thing. At least not screen stuff. My only real complaints is that I cannot get the thing comfy because I have big head.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Quote = Edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
VR Poker is really improving my game I feel. Best practice for reading people's body language and betting tendencies out there short of having a group of people you play with every single day.