Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Looking good! I really like how well you've captured the coke bottles on the machine.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

God dammit, fine I'll paint something this weekend. :argh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone in London know where I can get these Claybord things I've been hearing about? I've been to several of the stores listed on their website but they either don't actually carry it, or only carry the kind mounted on wooden frames, or would need to ship it in from a warehouse hundreds of miles away--and that won't arrive before I leave on Tuesday, so I need to find a place that has them onsite immediately. Since I'm touring the rest of the time, I can't order from Amazon either since nobody can receive the package for me at this Airbnb.

Edit: for the record, the answer was Russell and Chapele. The website of Ampersand lists many stores that carry it, but most of them said I'd have to place an order. Fortunately, this store was close enough to the National Gallery that I was able to drop by and find a whole bunch of them up for grabs.

Argue fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 7, 2019

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Tried my hand at buying thrift store paintings and adding to them. This was super fun!

Before/after
https://imgur.com/a/d1fA8rA

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did my Christmas cards. Used a rolling pin. Still really hard work.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Claeaus posted:

Tried my hand at buying thrift store paintings and adding to them. This was super fun!

Before/after
https://imgur.com/a/d1fA8rA

This is so cool! I want to do this one day!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Made some things for an art auction for a local charity.

Apparently i'm enjoying doing gradients lately.

Watercolors:

This one was actually done in the office with acrylics provided. Havent worked with acrylics in years. like riding a bike I guess.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
I made my first oil painting for a Christmas gift. Learned about Gamsol shortly after starting it. The clouds / mist didn't turn out so well. Any criticism would be welcome.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mainly, that your saturation is way high, and the halves of the sky seem mismatched. I don't know oils enough to be more specific, sorry.

Does anyone have any basic "wish I'd known this when I started" tips for gouache? I'm just starting with them, and it looks like it might take a long time to get used to them. Fun work though, I love their flexibility.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

lofi posted:

Mainly, that your saturation is way high, and the halves of the sky seem mismatched. I don't know oils enough to be more specific, sorry.

Does anyone have any basic "wish I'd known this when I started" tips for gouache? I'm just starting with them, and it looks like it might take a long time to get used to them. Fun work though, I love their flexibility.

Thank you. It's crazy how desaturation changes the whole tone. I still have some work to do, to even it out.

If anyone is looking for some 101 and inspiration with oil, I highly recommend Lena Danya on YouTube. She explains workflow, materials, and makes fantastic pieces.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

TVGM posted:

Thank you. It's crazy how desaturation changes the whole tone. I still have some work to do, to even it out.

If anyone is looking for some 101 and inspiration with oil, I highly recommend Lena Danya on YouTube. She explains workflow, materials, and makes fantastic pieces.

I like her video where she paints the NASA solar probe. Andrew Tischler is also a great painter follow. Here's him talking about oil mediums for half an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZf9QaTxDfM

Alpay Efe is also usually a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmq80Q4pW_0&t=140s

And some content, a watercolor I did of some rocks in Joshua Tree national park.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not sure where else to post this, but for reasons of bad impulse control I was subscribed to multiple art boxes and now I have all these things I will never ever use. My employer is covering the shipping costs so I can give away a few boxes of random stuff and ship them where ever in the world. The only real compensation would be posting the artwork you make with the random box here in this thread.

Right now it seems I have the following themes (to prevent them from getting too random):
- 2x alcoholic markers
- 1x colored pencils
- 1x posca pens galore
- 1x oil paints, can't give this to my niece
- 1x some weird markers
- The leftovers box

All boxes will be stuffed with pencils, erasers and assorted paper not necessarily related to the included materials until full or reached max weight of 1900 gramme after which world wide shipping becomes crazy. Post here if you wat to call dibs on a box and send me a PM with your address. Thank you for helping me clean up.

click here for a super high res picture Warning: I am keeping some things here, but only a little bit. Please don't ask for specific materials, it is supposed to be somewhat of a random box and my niece might want the Chameleon fineliners.

edit: it is ok to request a specific box.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but for reasons of bad impulse control I was subscribed to multiple art boxes and now I have all these things I will never ever use. My employer is covering the shipping costs so I can give away a few boxes of random stuff and ship them where ever in the world. The only real compensation would be posting the artwork you make with the random box here in this thread.

Right now it seems I have the following themes (to prevent them from getting too random):
- 2x alcoholic markers
- 1x colored pencils
- 1x posca pens galore
- 1x some weird markers

All boxes will be stuffed with pencils, erasers and assorted paper not necessarily related to the included materials until full or reached max weight of 1900 gramme after which world wide shipping becomes crazy. Post here if you wat to call dibs on a box and send me a PM with your address. Thank you for helping me clean up.

click here for a super high res picture Warning: I am keeping some things here, but only a little bit. Please don't ask for specific materials, it is supposed to be somewhat of a random box and my niece might want the Chameleon fineliners.

Woah. I'll gladly take a random box of art supplies to experiment with! I'll DM you my address in a few.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Uh yeah, I would love some cool art supplies. I'll take a posca pen box, please.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll take the oil paints! Thanks for the kind offer :)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Keetron posted:

- 2x alcoholic markers
- 1x colored pencils
- 1x posca pens galore
- 1x some weird markers
- The leftovers box

poo poo, I will take some alcohol markers. Awesome.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Wow
I would happily take anything!!!
I'll pm you my address

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

This is my first oil painting in years. It's pretty garish, like it belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop, but I'm having a lot of fun. 28 x 28".

Loosely inspired by Rather Tonic's awesome scene above and some localish woodland in autumn.

Been trying to make my landscapes abit more abstract and let more raw colour in. Switching from oils to acrylics has really helped me loosen up abit, the speed of drying makes me feel alot more up for trying stuff, knowing I can go over it again soon.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dupersaurus posted:

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

I love the art in this gosh darn thread.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

poemdexter posted:

Thanks people! I just pulled the trigger on some heavy body paints and matte medium. To contribute, here's a painting I finished last night. You can see where I tried to apply 10 coats of cad red light hue with a touch of black as the shadow and it's still blotchy. Also two smudges that I fixed after I took the pic...

Good content :)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

The lifecycle of my paintings:

- "Hey, that's a fun idea" or "Ooh, I like money"
- "Cool, that drawing looks goood!"
- "WTF I've ruined it"
- "Ohgod, I'm gonna have to start over"
- "Eh, better, now it looks like a wikihow illustration at least"
-> Make food.
- ???
- Done.

Think it'll look a lot better when I've got some nice vibrant blues in there. No midtones at the moment. I hate it, and everything it stands for, of course, but that'll change (I hope) soon enough.

Does everyone get the thing where paintings look terrible for ages and you've just about convinced yourself to start over when they start to look ok?

lofi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 28, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oil on masonite. Still trying to get the water in the background right but i'm feeling pretty happy about the crow and foreground. Dead rabbit needs a little more finesse.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
I am a super novice painter and I am having some issues with perspective that I can't seem to work through on my own. I started this painting of a sunset with a sort of villa and I wanted to have a road going horizontal across the landscape. I've tried putting it in a few different ways and it always ends up looking like I'm looking down on the road from above as opposed to straight on. I'd love any advice folks have on this particular issue I'm having or more generally a good resource for learning about perspective.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I am a super novice painter and I am having some issues with perspective that I can't seem to work through on my own. I started this painting of a sunset with a sort of villa and I wanted to have a road going horizontal across the landscape. I've tried putting it in a few different ways and it always ends up looking like I'm looking down on the road from above as opposed to straight on. I'd love any advice folks have on this particular issue I'm having or more generally a good resource for learning about perspective.

Are you painting from a reference? Even if you are you might be able to add some small detail that enhances the perspective. Look at these, I assume this is what you mean by 'a road across the landscape' - Some roads do actually look like a flat block, especially if they are at the horizon line, but something like a small fence on one side or lane markers on the road make the perspective clearer. Anything you can think of like small stones or plants on or around the road help to give a reference for the eye.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TheMostFrench posted:

Are you painting from a reference? Even if you are you might be able to add some small detail that enhances the perspective. Look at these, I assume this is what you mean by 'a road across the landscape' - Some roads do actually look like a flat block, especially if they are at the horizon line, but something like a small fence on one side or lane markers on the road make the perspective clearer. Anything you can think of like small stones or plants on or around the road help to give a reference for the eye.

Looking at those the key thing that adds perspective to them is that the lane that's away from the viewer is shorter than the one closer to the front of the canvas. You could use ruts from cart tracks for the same purpose. Though from a composition PoV, mightn't it look better with the road going from left to right behind the villa?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Painting another mural. Still want to make the death star more round and maybe add some BG stuff behind the millennium falcon.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
^^How much did you plan that out before starting? I can tell from the newspaper on the ceiling there's already more forethought than I'd have done!

I tried to get a muddy path looking more interesting here than in the last painting, really enjoyed how this turned out.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I usually make a digital pre-visualization to go by. As for the "room prep" I cover everything up in newspaper/plastic because otherwise I will paint things I'm not supposed to such as the floor or other walls.
This is the final result:

Nice job on your path, I like the colors and the leaves' details.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keetron posted:

- 2x alcoholic markers
- 1x colored pencils
- 1x posca pens galore
- 1x some weird markers
- The leftovers box

I just got my box of I will take whatever and I AM BLOWN AWAY
I have never even used some of this stuff before, have literally never drawn a line with copic marker for example.

Its CHRISTMAS
And I'm older so I don't get much
Ty Keetron :love:

I will post here when I have examples!!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Copics are great, but remember to put something under your drawing surface, they love to bleed through stuff.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got my box too!

I've never even heard of water mixable oil paints so I'm excited to try them out, thanks Keetron!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Water based oil paints are my main jam, I love them.
Current piece kind of on hold until I get brushes that aren't total trash garbage....

i like it so far.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 9, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Water mixable oils are great! The ones I've used aren't really "water mixable", but what they are is cleanable with soap and water, which solves 90% of my problem with oils. They still eat brushes, mind, so don't try to use your sable with them ;)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

lofi posted:

Copics are great, but remember to put something under your drawing surface, they love to bleed through stuff.

Alcohol based markers will bleed most. So there is that.

On the topic of painting. My best advice is a cheap medium. Floetrol is a latex medium but works just fine with acrylic. Costs MUCH less and works very very well. 16 bucks for a gallon vs. 20+ for less than half that amount at an art store.

EDIT:

Crosspost from daily drawing thread.

Another sketch of a Jordu Schell sculpt.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 10, 2020

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Doin some lines up in heah

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love your style!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah for real, that last one looks like it could be a blood incantation album cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was an ADHD kid who doodled instead of paying attention in class but I never thought anyone would care to see my doodles until last year at the ripe old age of 32, I've been drawing with nicer pens on nicer papers and taking proper scans and posting things online since around November of last year.

Everything I draw (including two sets of custom shoes now) is 80%+ fineliner pens and I've gone through an absurd amount of black fineliners (staedtlers/microns) these last few months. Can anyone recommend a good online supplier for (hopefully cheap) pens, and/or another brand I should look into, or some kind of refillable equivalent, or anything else I can do to save money on these things?

I've tried buying staedtlers on amazon and ended up with weird ones manufactured at the same factory as my locally-purchased ones, but with almost no ink, or that literally fell apart after dropping 3 feet onto concrete.

ex:

(more & hq: https://imgur.com/a/lYlPHMP )