Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slandible posted:

I follow similar guidelines as Clam Down when I make mine. No artist repeats and decided to do twenty five instead of just ten, too much good music discovered this year. I am looking forward to everyone elses.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1IEaCinIJQaM1XP25u05rT?si=Qt3HgkKyT4uogZ1ZVMUUuQ

spotify:playlist:1IEaCinIJQaM1XP25u05rT

I've been meaning to listen to Sharon van Etten—despite my all-pervading hate for the Dutch—and I'm hoping that "Seventeen" is a cover of Diet Cig's "Sixteen" but with a very small lyric change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

captainOrbital posted:

I've been meaning to listen to Sharon van Etten—despite my all-pervading hate for the Dutch—and I'm hoping that "Seventeen" is a cover of Diet Cig's "Sixteen" but with a very small lyric change.

I'm meh on the album but Seventeen is maybe the song of the year

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

captainOrbital posted:

Seventeen, Give Out, Tarifa, Leonard, and Your Love Is Killing Me are S+++ songs. Especially Give Out imho

She's really, really good!!
https://youtu.be/0yBqU5Athkw

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 11, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I remember seeing Sharon van Etten open for Nick Cave some years ago and just being blown the gently caress away

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I called Seventeen the best song of the year in January and I stand by that statement today.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BonoMan posted:

Big Thief's KEXP set is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oODr-7y3M0

Good poo poo as is to be expected. Also KEXP's audio engineer is awesome.

Wow, that was really good. Now I wanna get an album from them.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Captain_Person posted:

I called Seventeen the best song of the year in January and I stand by that statement today.

Seventeen and Chris Cohen's "Green Eyes" are tied in my book.

For some reason Pitchfork didn't review Chris Cohen's album and it totally got slept on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMnDFU0Bru4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

captainOrbital posted:

she's american

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
HELL

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 11, 2019

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
HELL

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2019

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
HELL

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You okay?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I doubt it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Blast Fantasto posted:

I remember seeing Sharon van Etten open for Nick Cave some years ago and just being blown the gently caress away

Same when I saw her open for The National

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh Jeffrey

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i've always said that Jeffery Dahmer was never the same man after he got stabbed to death in prison and now i guess we have the proof

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQZmFgfchwM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't really know what thread to post this in, but I saw HEALTH and Daughters last night and it loving ruled and you should absolutely not miss them if they're coming near you!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I don't really know what thread to post this in, but I saw HEALTH and Daughters last night and it loving ruled and you should absolutely not miss them if they're coming near you!

HEALTH was one of my top shows this year. Extremely loud live.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

I got a ticket for next week, but frankly I am mainly going because of Daughters' excellent live reputation. Can't really stand the guy's voice: anything you recommend ahead of time in terms of making the experience as best as possible?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous John posted:

I got a ticket for next week, but frankly I am mainly going because of Daughters' excellent live reputation. Can't really stand the guy's voice: anything you recommend ahead of time in terms of making the experience as best as possible?
If you can't stand his voice, I don't know what would change your mind, but I'd say listen to all of You Won't Get What You Want really loud and then imagine that live but louder!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy heck Pixies still put on a heck of a show. I have no idea how Frank screams for two and a half hours straight at his age and new Kim is great.

edit oh this was their first show in a while. that makes sense. Frank was really going for it. in a small venue too, wow just a great show.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 13, 2019

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Is Caribou any good live? It's $45 after fees to see him in Brooklyn in March (on a face price of $30, thanks AXS!) and he seems like the kind of act who might totally fail to translate live.

Also debating seeing Soulwax live; their shows sound fun but $50 is a bit steep for a group I know more for production and remixes than for their actual music

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw Caribou and I really enjoyed the concert. But it was a decade ago, so don't trust my memory entirely.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard Caribou is a great show but haven't seen him. He's doing three nights in Toronto this spring and I bought the friggin one night that sturgill was in town for. Ugh.

in other news I do have some face value Caribou tickets for sale if anyone wants them.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I never realized that Forrest Gump by Digitalism was cowritten by Julian Casablancas. It does sound like a lost good strokes song with the guitars replaced by synths.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

captainOrbital posted:

Why do you hate an entire country of people?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

https://youtu.be/6HGmpbNfr0A

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Wafflecopper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjS3Yk39gIo

Maybe he doesn't hate the Dutch, maybe he holds them to a higher standard.

Furthermore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLkW8mWLJ-Y

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABtQrFn7zQs

New MGMT.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I loving love this. It’s like listening to an anxiety attack

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Since apparently people liked my last show, here’s my most recent one.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Cola_al_Karz/iliktronik-vol-08-indo-pak-synth-attack/

This one has electronic music from India and Pakistan (pretty much every third show I focus on South Asia) and I’m pretty pumped about it. It features this super catchy number by Mumbai-based musician Your Chin.

https://youtu.be/0L7sdAEYdWE

Also there’s a 13-minute long glorious piece by Aqua Dominatrix mixed with purely analogue hardware.

https://youtu.be/D-fvG3RjWn4

Bam.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it bums me out that among people who are "in" to music, soccer mommy and snail mail are derided for the surface level "common indie rock chord progressions" sort of poo poo.

it was an important stylistic and tonal shift to sincere, emotional, melody driven music from either soulless bedroom dreampop or mac demarco ripoffs or whatever.

though since new soccer mommy bullshit seems to be Mitski Lite, i don't know what to do.

it made me happy to enjoy new music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

landgrabber posted:

it bums me out that among people who are "in" to music, soccer mommy and snail mail are derided for the surface level "common indie rock chord progressions" sort of poo poo.

it was an important stylistic and tonal shift to sincere, emotional, melody driven music from either soulless bedroom dreampop or mac demarco ripoffs or whatever.

though since new soccer mommy bullshit seems to be Mitski Lite, i don't know what to do.

it made me happy to enjoy new music.

Both of those bands are only popular among people who are "in" to music though. I haven't heard much Soccer Mommy but Snail Mail and similar bands are just doing 90s indie again. Mary Timony being Lindsey Jordan's guitar teacher explains a lot.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Both of those bands are only popular among people who are "in" to music though. I haven't heard much Soccer Mommy but Snail Mail and similar bands are just doing 90s indie again. Mary Timony being Lindsey Jordan's guitar teacher explains a lot.

i'm saying i think the originality witch hunt is really stupid for going "lol it's nostalgia" when in many cases it's still more interesting than like, the milquetoast vestiges of wavves/best coast/whatever else that sat around and stank up the room for years

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

landgrabber posted:

i'm saying i think the originality witch hunt is really stupid for going "lol it's nostalgia" when in many cases it's still more interesting than like, the milquetoast vestiges of wavves/best coast/whatever else that sat around and stank up the room for years

That’s fair. They’re certainly more listenable than those lameass bands that I have somehow seen live

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

That’s fair. They’re certainly more listenable than those lameass bands that I have somehow seen live

i like best coast to a degree cause she had a really rivers cuomo-y sense of melody on the first album and the fade away ep but yeah the aesthetic is pretty lame

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Rageaholic posted:

If you can't stand his voice, I don't know what would change your mind, but I'd say listen to all of You Won't Get What You Want really loud and then imagine that live but louder!

I actually started listening to the new HEALTH records and I dig that a lot, so I'll definitely be attending now!

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Is Caribou any good live? It's $45 after fees to see him in Brooklyn in March (on a face price of $30, thanks AXS!) and he seems like the kind of act who might totally fail to translate live.

Also debating seeing Soulwax live; their shows sound fun but $50 is a bit steep for a group I know more for production and remixes than for their actual music

Both have very good live reputations. In addition, Soulwax is touring with their three-drummer setup. Look up videos from 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous John posted:

I actually started listening to the new HEALTH records and I dig that a lot, so I'll definitely be attending now!
Hell yeah. HEALTH's new album rules and is one of my favorites of the year.