Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Are the 3.5" Seagate Firecudas safe enough to use? I like the idea of a hybrid HDD with a babby SSD cache on-board but I'm concerned because I don't hear a lot about them?

:ohdear:

They're as safe as any other Seagate HDD (i.e. safe enough, but not as good of a reputation as Western Digital). You don't hear much about them because they're more expensive than HDDs and to see a load-time benefit you need to a) be playing a game that benefits from an SSD, and b) load the same data multiple times without it being pushed out of the ssd cache (and without the game just keeping it in RAM). In general it's only going to be beneficial in very specific use cases, and just installing to an SSD is usually preferable.

Another alternative is buy a cheap 100+GB ssd on ebay and use Primocache to cache a larger HDD. It'll have most of the same disadvantages as an SSHD, but the larger cache means that games are more likely to stay entirely cached between plays and you'll have the freedom to pair it with an HDD of your choosing, or even one you already own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

How loud is the Ryzen 5 2600x fan compared to the 2600? I have a Define R5 case which has decent sound blocking.

Sadly, I've never been able to find a solid comparison of the noise curves for the wraith coolers, but it sounds like they're pretty similar at max fan speed. I suspect that a stock 2600 and 2600x will sound pretty similar - the 2600x's cooler has greater capacity to dissipate heat with lower fan speeds, but the 2600x draws ~40% more power than the 2600. The extra cooler capacity is really more about the ability to auto-overclock via Precision Boost Overdrive without needing a 3rd-party cooler.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 13, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, I plan on upgrading my PC any day now, but is really true that my current PC doesn't meet the Post Scriptum CPU requirements:

Minimum: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

I don't know CPUs from a hole in the ground but...it looks like they're both i5's and my number is bigger?

Edit: And google says, of the numbers: "The three following numbers after the generation number represent performance. The higher the numbers, the more powerful the chip. < Business Insider. For example, an Intel Core i5 "8400" will be less powerful than a Core i5 "8600."

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, I plan on upgrading my PC any day now, but is really true that my current PC doesn't meet the Post Scriptum CPU requirements:

I don't know CPUs from a hole in the ground but...it looks like they're both i5's and my number is bigger?

Edit: And google says, of the numbers: "The three following numbers after the generation number represent performance. The higher the numbers, the more powerful the chip. < Business Insider. For example, an Intel Core i5 "8400" will be less powerful than a Core i5 "8600."

That isn't telling you that you are deficient. It's not comparing the two and reporting, "here is the minimum, which you don't have." It's a dumb tool and only displaying "Here is the minimum. Here is what you have." side by side. It's up to you to manually see if your number beats their number. You beat the minimum just fine, but fall just short of the recommended Intel Core i7 4790k CPU

However if you were looking for a cheap upgrade you could drop in a used 4790k without any other changes, since they are from the same series and use all of the some other parts.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

They're both 4-core cpus without simultaneous multithreading and the 4590 is ~2% faster than a 2500k at stock speeds, but "K" chips can overclock. With a solid overclock, the 2500k is ~10% faster. Regardless, I suspect that performance would be pretty similar.

E: It looks like an overclocked 2500k maintains a solid 50+ fps in Post Scriptum, but the CPU is pretty close to maxing out (compare to the cpu usage with an 8400 with identical performance). A 4590 would probably reduce performance, though I suspect it would still be playable.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have an old (8-10+ year) tube of arctic silver 5. Is that still good? It seems fine but I don't know if there's something in there that ages or if there's some better compound now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Processors are good at shutting down if they somehow get too hot, so I'd say (without any actual knowledge about it) give it a shot and if you notice temps going high at boot or during a load test, buy a new tube. But I mean really it's just a conductive layer between metal and metal so it seems probably fine if you can squeeze it out and it doesn't seem brittle?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
It should be fine, I think.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reposting for new page, mostly just looking for a GPU recommendation. I'm leaning https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...53&sr=8-1&th=1:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi Thread, I was posting about a new computer I am going to get for general gaming use around a month ago and kinda went back to the drawing board based on feedback I got here. I toned down what I am going to get and will be looking into getting a better monitor that has a higher refresh rate and all that jazz in the new year. For now I desperately need to replace my hardware due to age/dying integrated fans. With some help from a friend I have come up with this so far:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $755.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-13 10:12 EST-0500

I already have a 1tb M.2 SSD, that listed power supply due to a friend accidentally buying two, and the listed ram. I am looking for recommendations on a GPU to fit into this build, and any general feedback on the build itself if something stands out. Oh, and if it is recommended to buy better/more case fans.

edit: Also, a friend who recently built a new PC bought two Powercolor "Red Devil" Rx5700 AMD video cards that both went bad within a week, so I would like to make sure I avoid that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stickman posted:

Another alternative is buy a cheap 100+GB ssd on ebay and use Primocache to cache a larger HDD. It'll have most of the same disadvantages as an SSHD, but the larger cache means that games are more likely to stay entirely cached between plays and you'll have the freedom to pair it with an HDD of your choosing, or even one you already own!

Is this like AMD's StoreMI thing? I think that's free up to 256GB with a 450/470/570 motherboard (and is way larger than a FireCuda's onboard flash).

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Reposting for new page, mostly just looking for a GPU recommendation. I'm leaning https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...53&sr=8-1&th=1:

I am thinking of building a similar system to this but also not sure about GPU so will be interested in any answers as well.

Was much easier for the last one I built when the gtx 970 was undisputedly the best value choice.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Is this like AMD's StoreMI thing? I think that's free up to 256GB with a 450/470/570 motherboard (and is way larger than a FireCuda's onboard flash).

It's sort of like StoreMI, but it's system doesn't touch the files on your HDD (storeMI actually moves files) and has the additional (default) option of setting up caching reads only, which eliminates the risk of data corruption in the case of ssd or storeMI failure. It also has a lot more options - setting up cache partitions instead of entire drives, caching multiple drives with the same ssd, adding L1 ram disk caches if you have extra ram space, etc.

E: There's a free 60-day trial, if you want to try it out. Honestly, it's the tiered system that makes me hesitant to recommend StoreMI - making an HDD unrecoverable in the even that either the drive or the cache ssd fails or the caching system becomes corrupted seems too risky.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 13, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Schadenboner posted:

What are you doing that is a. hampered by HDD speeds and b. is at a scale that just buying SSDs would be prohibitively expensive?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It really depends on the games you play, but if you like AAA titles with settings turned up and you're planning on upgrading to a 1440p/144Hz *sync monitor soonish, then a 5700 XT or 2070 Super is really the best option. Check out Babeltech's comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, and 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super. Keep in mind that you can usually get a 10-15% performance boost going from Ultra to Very High, and 30-60% going down to High or Medium.

The Powercolor 5700 XTs generally have a good reputation - this is the first time I've heard of DoA issues. The Sapphire Pulse and Gigabyte Gaming are also good, though!

Now is a pretty good time to upgrade your monitor - there are a lot of good 1440p/144Hz gsync-compatible options in the $350-400 range. Just ask for recommendations in the Monitor Thread!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

The Milkman posted:

I have an old (8-10+ year) tube of arctic silver 5. Is that still good? It seems fine but I don't know if there's something in there that ages or if there's some better compound now.

Should be fine as long as the goop wasn't corroded or oxidized.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stickman posted:

It really depends on the games you play, but if you like AAA titles with settings turned up and you're planning on upgrading to a 1440p/144Hz *sync monitor soonish, then a 5700 XT or 2070 Super is really the best option. Check out Babeltech's comprehensive benchmarks for the 1660/1660 Super/1660 Ti, 2060/5700/2060 Super, and 2070/5700 XT/2070 Super. Keep in mind that you can usually get a 10-15% performance boost going from Ultra to Very High, and 30-60% going down to High or Medium.

The Powercolor 5700 XTs generally have a good reputation - this is the first time I've heard of DoA issues. The Sapphire Pulse and Gigabyte Gaming are also good, though!

Now is a pretty good time to upgrade your monitor - there are a lot of good 1440p/144Hz gsync-compatible options in the $350-400 range. Just ask for recommendations in the Monitor Thread!
Awesome, thank you! I'll check those cards out when I am not in my phone but I wanted to mention that I tend to play strategy games/non-AAA titles, like Paradox games, Warhammer Total War 2, and 7Days2Die. Im less interested in ultra max settings and more interested in quick load times, smooth alt-tabbing and stability. Hence why the monitor is of secondary concern right now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ItBreathes posted:

What are you doing that is a. hampered by HDD speeds and b. is at a scale that just buying SSDs would be prohibitively expensive?

Shitposting on 40GbE?

:shrug:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So I don't really know very much about what I'm talking about, so apologies for ignorance.

I'm trying to improve my computer I built 10 years ago that other than ram is still using all the original components. I can't really afford to just build from scratch so was hoping to replace the worst offender which has mostly been my video card. I bought a new one but discovered that it takes an 8 pin and my current power supply only had one 6pin and 4+4pins together, but one of the 4pins is being used by the motherboard. I'm assuming I need to buy a new power supply, but the ones I'm seeing seem to have lots of 4+4 and 6+2 cables, but it's hard to tell how many slots they have on the actual power supply since presumably I'd need 2 different 8pin slots (1 4+4 and either another 4+4 or a 6+2 if I can't just get straight up 8)

This one seems to have lots of slots but obviously I'm wary of buying something based on just a picture if I don't know what I'm doing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just go with an SSD. Yes, they're still twice as expensive as hard disks but you get all of the benefit of having an SSD instead of only a partial uplift and none of the potential headaches of a hybrid drive or DIY arrangement.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Any modern PSU will have all the connectors you need, but post your current build.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Howard Phillips posted:

Still, their SSHD price is uneatable, so threw one in my PS4.

Hey, we weren't asking what you had for lunch, buddy.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I think mechanical hard drives, for a very long time now, have hit a point where anything from Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba (bought IBM's former storage division), and HGST can be trusted just fine. Almost everyone will have a different opinion on which drives are the ones to avoid. Every once in a while everyone can come together to decry a specific model or family of models as terribad trash to be avoided, for example the IBM Deskstar/"Deathstar" drives from way back in the day.

That said cloud storage company Backblaze has been posting drive failure statistics for a few years now if you want some hard data to look at: https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html Per their latest stats annualized failure rates are the worst for Seagate but we're still talking in the just below 3% range. Looks like they aren't using Western Digital anymore.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

Any modern PSU will have all the connectors you need, but post your current build.

I don't really know what the relevant information is, so I'll just post the parts I pulled from my newegg order back in 2010:

Intel BOXDH55TC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1156 95W BX80605I5750 Processor
Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB which is attempting to be replaced by MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

12 GB ram plus 2 SATA hard drives and I think I'm getting an SSD for Christmas so this problem may have come up anyway.

Sorry, I very much feel like grandma right now who doesn't know how to open her email.

isnoop
Jan 9, 2001

I used to be an admin,
but then I took an arrow
to the knee.

The Milkman posted:

Make sure you mix it thoroughly. Some brands tend to separate slowly over years.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Asiina posted:

I don't really know what the relevant information is, so I'll just post the parts I pulled from my newegg order back in 2010:

Intel BOXDH55TC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1156 95W BX80605I5750 Processor
Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB which is attempting to be replaced by MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

12 GB ram plus 2 SATA hard drives and I think I'm getting an SSD for Christmas so this problem may have come up anyway.

Sorry, I very much feel like grandma right now who doesn't know how to open her email.

Is that the price you paid for the 580? If so, I'd return it and get a 1660 or 1660 Super for much less. Even if you're sticking to Amazon, there's a good Super model for $325. If you're not adverse to other vendors, you could get a 1660 Ventus for $290. They'll still require a 6+2 pin PCIe connector, though.

There are 6 pin -> 6+2 pin PCIe adapters, but your PSU is old enough that it's definitely out of warranty and I'd seriously consider just getting a new one. A good Gold efficiency PSU would be $90, but comes with a 10-year warranty and would last you a good long time. You could save $30 by getting a Bronze CXM psu instead, which is decent and comes with a 5-year warranty, but if you're likely to keep your next computer as long as your last you might want to just invest a little more for the peace of mind.

Snacks Redux
Sep 26, 2019

A punk rock song won't ever change the world but I can tell ya about a couple that changed me..
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? World of Warcraft, Microsoft Office, just basic stuff besides that
What's your budget? I’d like to spend 5-800. I don’t have Windows or a monitor so I’m trying to spend less on the PC so I can use a little for that.
Just need for WoW and school work
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? The one I’m looking at is 1920x1080 75hz

So I was gifted a $300 HP laptop for school and found it was able to run WoW, albeit not very well and it’s replaced my limited free time I’m able to spend on games now. The only problem is, I can only play solo stuff because anything with more than 5 people the laptop bogs down and lags horribly. I’d like to see if I could build a PC that could run the game well at decent settings. I saw the ~$700 build MikeC posted but researched a little and people said the game was not optimized for AMD so I wasn’t sure if that would still be the best bet. I might run some other FPS type games but I’m mostly concerned with performance relating to WoW.

The only other things I would be doing on the computer would be regular internet browsing, watching movies, and Microsoft office stuff for school. Another problem I have with the laptop currently is I can’t tab out of the game and run things very well. I don’t do a lot of intensive multitasking but the ability to open a browser with a game running and VLC in the background would be nice.

I’d like to keep it between 5-800 since it is just an hour or so a day hobby now that I have a wife and kids. I’m starting with nothing so no monitor or copy of windows but can probably get those cheap if they aren’t included in a build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

This is $820 and includes a monitor with your listed preferred specs. There isn't a lot of savings here, but you could drop down to the 1650 Super which sells for $160-170 sometimes to get under budget. Right now the Ryzen 3600 is the odds on "sweet spot," so if you skip the monitor that would be my recommended $800 spend. It's $190 instead of $120, so gets you to $800 even without monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced RAW 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $820.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-14 09:49 EST-0500

I wouldn't worry about it, the 3600 runs it around the same as an intel 9900k, which is hundreds of dollars more. Close enough for sure, and is cheaper & a much better long term buy IF AMD is telling the truth about sticking with AM4 on their next series of processors, you have a good upgrade path. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ryzen-3600-wow/224034

edit: some savings does exist- you could get a bronze certified PSU and save a few bucks, as well as getting a 512 GB SSD, but those are more $/gig.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 14, 2019

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

It's been posted before, but don't spend $110 on Windows 10. Buy from the SA Mart goon. I just spent $5 for a Win7 key from him and activated Win10 with it no problem.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
What's the opinions on this mobo? it's my top choice right for my build now https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144262

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Its Coke posted:

What's the opinions on this mobo? it's my top choice right for my build now https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144262

It works but it’s not a good value in the VRM side - it has (slightly) worse VRM than a b450 Tomahawk. If you want an x570, get an Asus TUF instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AFStealth posted:

It's been posted before, but don't spend $110 on Windows 10. Buy from the SA Mart goon. I just spent $5 for a Win7 key from him and activated Win10 with it no problem.
Good point. Having read the OP of that thread I am willing to spend $5 on a win7 key to try it. $5 is below my fuckit threshold so why the gently caress not. Thank you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
  • What country are you in?
    United States

• What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
    Gaming and office stuff

• What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
    I already have:
    • GeForce 1080 Ti graphics card
    • NVMe storage
    • Windows license
    I would like to spend maybe $600 for all additional new stuff, including a monitor.

• If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
    N/A

• If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
    Thinking of getting a 1440p and higher refresh rate monitor (100hz? 144hz?) if possible. Don't know what the prices look like these days.
    Graphics quality feels like a moot question given the preferred monitor size above, AFAIK the 1080 Ti is still a beast of a graphics card by today's standards

I am thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a Micro ATX motherboard and case. My problem is that all the motherboards PCPartPicker is recommending, such as this, come with this warning:

quote:

Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

How can I be sure the motherboard I get will be compatible with the CPU out of the box? I don't have another AMD CPU handy to just flash the BIOS with and I also wouldn't really want to muck around with installing this CPU, and then that CPU, and redoing the cooler and thermal paste and all that crap. No thanks.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

A 1440p/144Hz *sync monitor is great for pairing with a 1080 Ti (that's what I have!), but you'd want to increase your budget if you want to go that route. The best deal right now is the Nixeus Edg 27 for $300 at Newegg (with a fixed stand) or $330 with an adjustable stand. There are several other options in the $350-400 range from other vendors - I'd ask over in the monitor thread.

A 3600 is a solid choice, and with a 1080 Ti you'd see some benefit over a 2600, especially if you turn down settings a bit to bump up the frame rate. MSi "MAX" B450 motherboards have guaranteed out-of-the-box compatibility, and most non-MAX MSi boards have the ability to flash the bios without the cpu using a flash drive and the "flash bios" button. If you want a solid computer to go with your 1440p monitor and 1080 Ti, I'd recommend something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $548.94

You could save a bit by buying from Microcenter if you have one nearby (they also have the Acer Nitro XV272u 1440p/144Hz IPS monitor for $300). There's room to shave off some cost by dropping to a 2600, cheaper motherboard, and cheaper case, but it still won't get you under budget with a 1440p montor:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC Arctic F14 PWM 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($9.34 @ Amazon)
Total: $411.27

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 15, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

brap posted:

How can I be sure the motherboard I get will be compatible with the CPU out of the box? I don't have another AMD CPU handy to just flash the BIOS with and I also wouldn't really want to muck around with installing this CPU, and then that CPU, and redoing the cooler and thermal paste and all that crap. No thanks.

MATX seems to be bad in the USA. The form factor looks to be dead too since there are no x570 micro atx boards. Just get an ATX board and case. The standard here is the Tomahawk Max and Meshify C. There is a micro atx version of the Meshify C but it's like 3 inches shorter. Not a big difference at all.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I missed the mATX part, whoops! Like Mu Zeta said, there's not really good options on the same level as the Tomahawk for a 3600 in the US (in Europe, the Msi Mortar MAX is great). If you end up choosing a 2600 to save money, the mATX version of the ASRock Pro4 is more or less the same board and would be fine for a 3600 (or probably a 4600) if you upgrade in the future. Also, if you buy your motherboard from Microcenter, they'll either have updated the bios already (it'll have a "Ryzen 3000 compatible" sticker), or they'll do it for free in their repair shop. That opens up more B450 options for the 3600, though the Mortar Max is still the best value.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Finally got the motherboard from Amazon today and am now posting from the new build. Wanted to thank the thread for the information and feedback!

Ultimately this is what I put together (prices below aren't accurate, I assembled over a few weeks, below is just a listing of what I got):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($40.61 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1258.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 20:56 EST-0500

Working great. The motherboard POSTed with the Ryzen 3700 just fine, no BIOS jiggerypokery required. The G.Skill RAM not being on the Tomahawk's QVL also wasn't an issue, turned on XMP and it fired up at 3600 no problem.

I would like to whine a bit about the Arctic Freezer 34 Esports heatsink though: Tower heat sinks that use wire clips to hold the fans on are a special sort of hell that I had forgotten about when building a Sandy Bridge system many moons ago (that install also drew a good amount of blood because the sink fins were super sharp). In the case the Freezer 34 the part of the wires that secure to the heatsink itself are too shallow so the loving things love to pop out when trying to secure the fans. It cools well enough but the installation process sucks.

Edit: Also my case should have taken off like a helicopter at some point :stare:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 16, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

brap posted:

I am thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a Micro ATX motherboard and case. My problem is that all the motherboards PCPartPicker is recommending, such as this, come with this warning:

This will work. Any of the MSI "Max" boards will work with the 3600 as a matter of fact, but the only other mATX option is the PRO-M2 MAX, which is probably worse because it is cheaper and doesn't have as many DIMM slots or fancy heatsink thingies.

I have a b450m Pro-VDH-Max and I'm using it with a 3600 and it works fine. Have an old mATX case I'm fond of. It's hard to find a decent case that has good airflow and supports a lot of big fans but doesn't look like it's marketed to a 13 year old boy.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's a mATX version of the Fractal Design Meshify, too - the Meshify C Mini. It's only available with a tempered glass side panel, but the Define C mini comes in all the same flavors as the larger cases!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Working on the build drawn up for me 20+ pages ago as my first time doing this. How do I know whether the fan built into the rear of my Phanteks P300 case plugs into the Pump Fan or Sys Fan slot on the motherboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

Working on the build drawn up for me 20+ pages ago as my first time doing this. How do I know whether the fan built into the rear of my Phanteks P300 case plugs into the Pump Fan or Sys Fan slot on the motherboard?

Sys or CHA (chassis) fan slot for that one. Pump refers to people who use a water cooling pump. You can use Pump headers if you run out of spots (I think they're just treated for more current and placed closer to the CPU) but it might default to strange behavior until you adjust it in bios.