Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Calling deer should just make it look up briefly so you can shoot it in the head, then it will run away. It doesn’t draw them to you like you’re Snow White or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Calling deer should just make it look up briefly so you can shoot it in the head, then it will run away. It doesn’t draw them to you like you’re Snow White or something

Ah yes, make their head raise so I can shoot an arrow where it was before it took off. I found it way easier to just shoot it in the rear end, then let it run and then gank it with my knife while it lay there dying.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

twistedmentat posted:

Ah yes, make their head raise so I can shoot an arrow where it was before it took off. I found it way easier to just shoot it in the rear end, then let it run and then gank it with my knife while it lay there dying.

If you want perfect pelts shooting it in the rear end won't cut it!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ebola Dog posted:

If you want perfect pelts shooting it in the rear end won't cut it!

Well, poo poo, I guess i have to learn how to shoot the deer in the head faster than it can dodge it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

twistedmentat posted:

Well, poo poo, I guess i have to learn how to shoot the deer in the head faster than it can dodge it.

You can run them down on horseback then lasso them for clean kills, but getting a handle on stalking animals is super useful and fun.

Speaking of fun, some rival moonshiners were selling in a saloon that had an arrangement with me and Aunt Maggie asked if I'd go have a chat with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuN2mCKOidI

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
With deer, they’re super skittish so make sure you approach quietly - crouch and walk slowly so your minimap arrow turns grey instead of the usual white. Line up your shot, press Call then hit Deadeye. You should be able to get a headshot pretty reliably with a bit of practice.

A later deadeye upgrade will highlight instakill zones (head and heart), so you can aim for the heart if you want as that won’t move as much.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

webmeister posted:

With deer, they’re super skittish so make sure you approach quietly - crouch and walk slowly so your minimap arrow turns grey instead of the usual white. Line up your shot, press Call then hit Deadeye. You should be able to get a headshot pretty reliably with a bit of practice.

A later deadeye upgrade will highlight instakill zones (head and heart), so you can aim for the heart if you want as that won’t move as much.

Or alternatively ride at them full tilt on horseback and shoot them in the head with deadeye (paint it black card if you're online).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

webmeister posted:

That’s not actually a deadeye upgrade, its from fully studying a particular animal. You might see those spots on a deer but a moose you’ve seen for the first time will still be greyed out.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Seems kinda weird, is Arthur too thick to realise that deer and moose both have heads and hearts in roughly the same places

Orv
May 4, 2011

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Seems kinda weird, is Arthur too thick to realise that deer and moose both have heads and hearts in roughly the same places

It's a whole lotta meeses to study, you know.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

The call is just to get them to briefly pop their heads up from the grazing position if you can't get a clear shot at the skull. It's often better to just relocate your shooting position over having a guaranteed scoot on your hands if you miss the shot.

Edit: didn't refresh the thread before replying so beaten on a truly profound scale

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 15, 2019

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
The band you can get for your Moonshine bar is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffVh0Weaqk

Yes, you can play drunk. We didn't get a drunk version recorded. A fellow goon also snapped this great photo of me using the new cigarette emote:

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 15, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a good place to buy all the moonshine flavor ingredients for cheap?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

Is there a good place to buy all the moonshine flavor ingredients for cheap?

Many herbs you can buy from Nazar, maybe the doctor? Canned goods from the catalogue or general store, but the prices are probably the same. Do lots of herb picking!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
There a goon group for playing online? Finished the main story and looking to do some online stuff.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

There a goon group for playing online? Finished the main story and looking to do some online stuff.

There's a Discord server for the PC folks, which you can join here: https://discordapp.com/invite/HBgmBeJ

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have to delete my Settings folder in the documents folder every time I launch the game or else it get the err gfx state error.

Tried this but it didn't help. Anyone else?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

I have to delete my Settings folder in the documents folder every time I launch the game or else it get the err gfx state error.

Tried this but it didn't help. Anyone else?

I get it every once in awhile. Restarting my PC seems to fix it. Not much else I can offer though. It's something they need to fix.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
So I'm level 70 on ps4 and I've never been able to have two pistols at once. I've had an offhand holster forever but I never get the option to have two pistols equipped at once. I might just be an idiot who missed something obvious but in single player it just worked without issue.

Any idea what I may have missed?

Edit: I just bought a new holster and it didn't work, but after switching sessions it did. Now it works fine. Haha wtf oh well.

weg fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 15, 2019

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

where the hell are all the animals?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cage posted:

the err gfx state error.

I had that a lot until I switched it from Vulkan to DX12

DX12 also conveniently runs faster and smoother than Vulkan

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Paperback Writer posted:

where the hell are all the animals?

It's an old bug that they seem unable to fix. When the servers are full the animal population drops

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Finally started playing this now that it's on Steam.

Everything is hunky dory, the game looks amazing and runs at a consistent 60 FPS. Yes sir, all is well...until I start a mission.

Then it seems like a 50/50 change the audio cuts out and then instead of what I assume is the mission intro cinematic, I load into a random spot in the game world and everything freezes.

What. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Seems like the ol File integrity scan did the trick. Weird, never had that happen to me but everything seems okay now.

Time to hunt a bear!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 16, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

What’s that RDO discord?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Do bootlegger missions permanently lower the cost of the mash, or is it a temporary thing like GTA nightclub popularity?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mash cost is temporary. I don’t know if it’s time based or if they just add up to the next time you buy mash.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't want to dip into MP until i get more of a handle on the game itself in SP, but I've just gotten to the part where the first camp is after the snow section. I assume at this point I can gently caress off and do what I want, doing missions or ignoring them as I please?

Mostly I want to replace this Cattleman Revolver.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I don't want to dip into MP until i get more of a handle on the game itself in SP, but I've just gotten to the part where the first camp is after the snow section. I assume at this point I can gently caress off and do what I want, doing missions or ignoring them as I please?

If anything online is a bit stripped down from SP. The world is very much a world but there is no leap of skill needed. Its actually emptier unless you go raise hell in Saint Denis or somewhere. If you got your guys out of the snow in the story you know all you need to know really.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm loving my new colt navy revolvers! Shame they're so expensive to customize. Has anyone done the math to see how moonshiner compares to trader in profit vs time spent? I've got 30 gold now and I'm considering saving up for Outlaw pass 2 or going for the moonshiner.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm loving my new colt navy revolvers! Shame they're so expensive to customize. Has anyone done the math to see how moonshiner compares to trader in profit vs time spent? I've got 30 gold now and I'm considering saving up for Outlaw pass 2 or going for the moonshiner.

I'd do Outlaw Pass. You get some pretty fun stuff from it, the gold gets reimbursed over time, and it's only available for a limited time. I think the over-under on moonshiner right now is that it is a bit less profitable than trading.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks. I just read up on the moonshiner role a bit and it seems you're right.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

twistedmentat posted:

You should definitely check out the back of the doctors in Valentine then.

Look through the back window, then you can go round the front of the shop and hold up the doctor (bandana on, aim gun at him) and choose the option to rob the back room. There is a Schofield revolver in a box on the table.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Play some more of the main missions before seriously loving off. The game is slow to dole out tutorials and unlock mechanics. I think around when you get the fishing rod is a good time to leave it all behind. Money for guns will come fast enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

With how fast the Outlaw pass levels you can buy the pass and have the money refunded to buy Moonshiner very, very quickly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

twistedmentat posted:

Do story missions until you unlock the fence at Emerald Farm. Then steal and turn in carriages until you can afford volcanics, those pistols will last you through the game and pretty much every other gun is given to you at some point in the story or locked being chapters for some unknown reason.

Honestly the lack of a traditional gameplay loop is the worst part of the story mode. I ended up just blowing through the story so I could get to MP and have some reason to want to collect and spend money. Very little of the stuff you can buy is something other than cosmetic.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ebola Dog posted:

Look through the back window, then you can go round the front of the shop and hold up the doctor (bandana on, aim gun at him) and choose the option to rob the back room. There is a Schofield revolver in a box on the table.

Just curious: what is the point of these kinds of unsolicited tips? You’re basically spoiling something cool that they could discover organically for what??? Those kinds of things were the best things to find in the game on your own.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was too tempted to buy the moonshiner expansion before the outlaw pass. I'm now Rank 90+ on the "free" pass side of things - if I save the 40 gold and buy the pass, will I get a sudden dump of all the rewards I leveled past? (i.e. the 40 gold refunds instantly)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ebola Dog posted:

Just be aware that it’s super hard to do this without getting a big bounty, because the sheriff’s office is right next door and any shots fired will alert them.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I was too tempted to buy the moonshiner expansion before the outlaw pass. I'm now Rank 90+ on the "free" pass side of things - if I save the 40 gold and buy the pass, will I get a sudden dump of all the rewards I leveled past? (i.e. the 40 gold refunds instantly)
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000