Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

gohuskies posted:

In one of the old Might & Magic RPGs (not Heroes of M&M) you could "take an odd job" for a week in a city, a week would go by in the in-game calendar and you'd get paid some money for the work. I didn't realize the impact of the time passage thing and clicked that option over and over and over, my characters ended up being super rich but all 90 years old, with heavily reduced Strength, Dexerity, and Constitution stats to match, so they were crippled and terrible in combat. An interesting commentary on wage work and what it does to us, but I do think it's funny that my PCs basically just quit RPGing and got regular jobs for the whole game.
Magic Candle had a very important time limit - after a set time the titular candle would go out and the world would be thoroughly hosed by Really Bad Things. So time was of the essence so you couldn't just grind, but at the same time you could put the [extra] party members to work as handymen and other mundane jobs. You had to balance how much time you were willing to spend to gain resources vs actually working on the main quest.

I'm really conflicted on this. On the one hand I hate time limits (the only long games with those I completed were Fallout and Star Control 2, and from what I hear Persona games are pretty much tailored against my tastes), OTOH it does make it more realistic than the "OH GODS HELP A GIANT MONSTER IS ABOUT TO DEVASTATE THE CITY but feel free to dick around for a year unless you're locked into a cutscene" crap jRPGs are infamous for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think this is one of those cases where "realism" really takes a backseat to player convenience, in basically any case not specifically built around time as not only an arbitrary limiting factor but also an important gameplay element as per Majora's Mask.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but it's still a hard limit. You only get to do so many things in that time, because you only have X actions per day one way or the other.

It's still plenty generous and you can finish all of the games with months and months of empty time left, but if it bothers the guy, then it bothers the guy.

What I'm saying is it's extremely different than an entire game having a time limit and if you miss it you're hosed. It's a series of small time limits so it's not like you'll get halfway through the game and suddenly WHOOPS you ran out of time eat poo poo. Plus they are pretty clear about how you've got about a month to complete each dungeon or whatever. I was just pointing that out because if the idea that you're on a constant clock is an issue, it's not like that at all.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Persona has time limits and is a very bad series. Shenmue has time limits and is a very good series. In short, time limits are a land of contrasts.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's apples and oranges; He's referring more to 90's adventure games, where Sierra Entertainment specialized in unforgiving puzzles and cheap deaths. Or just plain being able to put your playthrough in a soft fail stste without knowing for HOURS.

Yeah, exactly. I love Persona's approach to things because it's simultaneously lenient enough to not be an issue yet it constrains enough stuff that it forces you to make interesting choices. I was more worried about, like, ten hours in someone going "You missed a once-a-month event where someone drops a towel for you to pick up," then by the time I roll it around and grab the thing Yu Suzuki shows up and goes "The truth has escaped and you shall forever live with not knowing what happened, I am very disappointed in you." (and then the game goes on for another 20 hours, and only then do you realize you're soft locked.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think we can all agree that every open-world/non-linear RPG should have its main quest begin with "there are omens and signs of a horrible dark future! Anyway, you are a pathetic weakling, so how about you go do whatever you want to get more powerful, and we will see when the omens and signs come to pass, depending on when you next talk to me. Thanks"

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think we can all agree that every open-world/non-linear RPG should have its main quest begin with "there are omens and signs of a horrible dark future! Anyway, you are a pathetic weakling, so how about you go do whatever you want to get more powerful, and we will see when the omens and signs come to pass, depending on when you next talk to me. Thanks"

The Morrowind method is usually the best method.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I don’t know if this is enough to even bother with an entry for, because the game is really straight forward, but here are a couple of things regarding Aliens Infestation.

Ammo, grenade, and health boxes continuously respawn. Don’t worry about grabbing a box if you only need to top off 5/6 grenades.

Perma-death exists in this game, but you can pause & quit before death to save marines. Abuse this, as the boss runs are fairly easy.

Run through everything once you know the area layout. Xenomorphs, androids and enemy soldiers can almost always just be run past once you know where you’re going. You don’t have to fight all of them.

Right trigger is sprint. I bought the game used without a manual, so it wasn’t immediately obvious that there was a sprint button.

Weapon upgrades are automatically applied to whatever weapon you currently have equipped. Upgrades are found like any other ammo or health box, but if you step on it it will immediately upgrade the weapon you’ve been using with no choice to apply it to another weapon.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Quite coicidientally I started playing the same game recently. I'm just at the end of the second level, but wanted to know if there was any more of that terrible APC section. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea. And why does it take you to half health no matter what you had when you get in the APC.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
There is only one APC sequence and yeah you’re right. It is probably the most terribly implemented on-rails shooting sequence I have ever played.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Anything for Hades? After playing the very first run the game seems to be exceedingly simple, but now I'm on run 5 or 6 and the game just introduce completely new mechanics almost after each run, it's almost overwhelming.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

srulz posted:

Anything for Hades? After playing the very first run the game seems to be exceedingly simple, but now I'm on run 5 or 6 and the game just introduce completely new mechanics almost after each run, it's almost overwhelming.
-The Shield really is that good.
-Not everyone you can give Ambrosia to is in the base every time you go back, so if you're trying to target a gift for someone, you might have to die a few times.
-Once you've unlocked every weapon, you unlock the ability to customize them. So even if you don't have an interest in some of them, get them anyway.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

srulz posted:

I've done 97 runs in Hades and, honestly, I don't think there's much anyone needs to know in advance. There are no trap skills or improvements (other than maybe some obvious cosmetics in the house). Just do stuff and you'll figure it all out. The only thing I'd suggest initially is to try to give every character a nectar as early as possible because the keepsakes add a lot of strategy in making your builds and it takes a while to level them up fully, which is a big help.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I've done 97 runs in Hades and, honestly, I don't think there's much anyone needs to know in advance. There are no trap skills or improvements (other than maybe some obvious cosmetics in the house). Just do stuff and you'll figure it all out. The only thing I'd suggest initially is to try to give every character a nectar as early as possible because the keepsakes add a lot of strategy in making your builds and it takes a while to level them up fully, which is a big help.

For extra nectars, is there a best character to focus on?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Mechwarrior 5?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Mechwarrior 5?

Building on this, how does it run if you're somewhere between min and recommended specs? I have an old mediocre HOTAS collecting dust and I literally got into tabletop Battletech like a week before this dropped and so I am pretty eager to try it, but not quite enough to drop that much cash sight-unseen on a game that might not run great. I know it's a weirdly specific question, sorry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
City of Brass?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

-The Shield really is that good.

This makes me think I'm missing something obvious about the shield. I found it lackluster, but I've only used it in its base form. It's only real combo I've found is Attack into Dash Attack and it seems hugely reliant on Wall Slam bonus damage, which isn't always available to use. It's Special leaves you defenseless for what feels like an appallingly long time, and it's range isn't very good compared to spear or sword either one, with the damage outside of wall slams being inferior to both.

Care to elaborate a bit on the right way to use it/what makes it great?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Another weird specific question: I don't see how it would, but is there any way for the Neverwinter Nights Diamond version on Switch to play (let alone create) custom scenarios?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Poe posted:

For extra nectars, is there a best character to focus on?

Not really. They just come up naturally as room rewards. Dionysus does have a boon that gives extra health when you pick up a nectar and it gives one on taking the boon, I suppose, but that's not worth building a run around obviously.

Zaodai posted:

This makes me think I'm missing something obvious about the shield. I found it lackluster, but I've only used it in its base form. It's only real combo I've found is Attack into Dash Attack and it seems hugely reliant on Wall Slam bonus damage, which isn't always available to use. It's Special leaves you defenseless for what feels like an appallingly long time, and it's range isn't very good compared to spear or sword either one, with the damage outside of wall slams being inferior to both.

The shield is the last weapon that I cleared the game with and the last one that clicked for me in general. Now I find it pretty powerful though. The biggest thing it has going for it is the ability to block. That's massively helpful when there's an enemy or especially boss spamming projectiles. You can just wait it out and immediately charge when they let up. Or get deflect on attack from Athena and don't even wait -- just blast through everything and turn it back on them. I don't use the special much for the same reason you describe, but it's nice to have as a situational option. I try to get a status effect like doom or weak on it to give some extra use and potential bonus damage from 2x status effects. The Zeus aspect for the shield also changes the nature of your special and is very cool in the ways that it opens up new strategies. That might be worth picking up for you if you can.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Zaodai posted:

In addition to what NObodyNOWHERE said, a big part of the Shield being strong is getting lucky on a few key boons/buffs, like bull rush doing 400% damage to Armor (which is basically "wipe out Armor with a single charge") or anything that rewards spamming Specials (like "free projectile on Special") for boss fights when you can just bounce it off the boss and back a few times while staying at medium to long range. Also later on you can get flat damage reduction for just equipping it, which is nice if you're bad at the game (me) and need longer to learn mechanics (me).

In general the way to use it, for me, is:
Early / anything with a slow attack animation: mash the poo poo out of melee attack / dash in the direction of an enemy you want to do nothing and die.
Later: Special bouncing and dashing around to make chaotic areas more manageable
Always: Be hitting Special and dashing around if you don't know what you should be doing at a given moment. The free damage from bounces while you get your bearings adds up.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
For the shield, the dash melee and regular melee attacks have no recovery time between them. You can just dash + double tap for a nice chunk of damage, ideally with the backstab and wall slam bonuses. The shield is excellent defensively, as you’re almost entirely protected from the front while powering up the charge attack and while in mid-charge.

Later on you can unlock the Chaos shield variant, which when leveled up lets the special fire multiple shields all at once. This is very powerful — either charge to close range and shotgun them all into a beefy enemy, or let the spray of shields bounce around the room and damage a multitude of weaker foes.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 15, 2019

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I just started Chasm on the Switch today. Anything I should know going in?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Truman Sticks posted:

I just started Chasm on the Switch today. Anything I should know going in?

The game doesn't really do anything special compared to other metroidvanias, only thing I can think of is that if you ever see an empty room that has a dot on the minimap (meaning it should contain some treasure) then it's not a bug, you need some optional thing from way later in the game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I've read the wiki already and most of the games manual but I think I hosed up just assuming I could figure out the Pillars of Eternity combat on my own never playing an isometric RPG before.

I'm playing on normal and late-ish game frequently getting my rear end absolutely handed to me anytime there's a group of 4+ enemies. I'm getting hit with tons of afflictions/debuffs and frequently die because all my characters are stunned etc.

Is there a good YouTube channel that will explain things or am I just missing extremely obvious poo poo as someone new to this genre?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

McKracken posted:

Is there a good YouTube channel that will explain things or am I just missing extremely obvious poo poo as someone new to this genre?
Why don’t you go ask Youtube to write down some tips for you friendo

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

McKracken posted:

I've read the wiki already and most of the games manual but I think I hosed up just assuming I could figure out the Pillars of Eternity combat on my own never playing an isometric RPG before.

I'm playing on normal and late-ish game frequently getting my rear end absolutely handed to me anytime there's a group of 4+ enemies. I'm getting hit with tons of afflictions/debuffs and frequently die because all my characters are stunned etc.

First game? Bring a priest and/or craft scrolls of the Prayers that block afflictions. There's also tons of items that summon creatures to fight for you, and they're extremely good-- one of the reasons being enemies will get distracted by them and maybe waste some good abilities on them. Suppress Affliction (and the similar but stronger Liberating Exhortation paladin skill) is also available from a lot of sources and lets you keep your most important party members in the fight.

Outside of that it depends a lot on what you're fighting or what level you are, but try to disable/kill enemy casters quickly.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
At one point the game suggested I was over leveled for the remaining areas and asked if I wanted to bump the enemies up to compensate (hard no on that) which is why I feel like I'm just playing like a total moron.

I'll definitely make sure to use the summon abilities more frequently and I chucked Durance out of my party asap so not having a priest has probably been a problem. Thanks!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hiravias is a Druid, so he's better at healing but worse at buffing than Durance, but he can fill the support role if Durance gets on your nerves.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

By "no traps", it means that I can't do anything wrong right with Nectars and such? Meaning that I can just give them to anybody I want and there won't be "reduced drop rate" later in the game or something similar like that?

Also, what are the resources that are actually limited? And not something I should trade away in the market? From a quick reading, and it's really hard to read up on a game which changes majorly almost all updates, only the boss drops are limited.

Also just a general mechanics question: Doom seems to me incredibly strong. However, if you hit your enemy superfast (2-3 times per second, for example), do the Doom triggers stack on top of each other? Or the 1-2 sec of delay means while the previous Doom is "processing", additional triggers will be ignored?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

food court bailiff posted:

Another weird specific question: I don't see how it would, but is there any way for the Neverwinter Nights Diamond version on Switch to play (let alone create) custom scenarios?
The switch version of NWN doesn't come with the map editor, sorry. Even if it did, it would be completely unusable, what with all the typing and scripting you need to do.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

srulz posted:

By "no traps", it means that I can't do anything wrong right with Nectars and such? Meaning that I can just give them to anybody I want and there won't be "reduced drop rate" later in the game or something similar like that?

Also, what are the resources that are actually limited? And not something I should trade away in the market? From a quick reading, and it's really hard to read up on a game which changes majorly almost all updates, only the boss drops are limited.

Also just a general mechanics question: Doom seems to me incredibly strong. However, if you hit your enemy superfast (2-3 times per second, for example), do the Doom triggers stack on top of each other? Or the 1-2 sec of delay means while the previous Doom is "processing", additional triggers will be ignored?

Yeah, that's exactly right. You can use your items as you like. Nothing will impact drop rates.

Nothing is limited ultmately. However the boss drops (Titans blood, diamonds and ambrosia) are all harder to come by and you'll want to think about how you use them. You can still trade for them or buy from the Charon at the last level, but that is time and resource intensive to get in significant volume. Once you start working through some of the prophecy list, you'll be swimming in some of them too. I have like 55 Titans blood right now, for example. The ambrosia and diamonds are harder to accumulate I think. I would hold onto those always.

Doom is pretty good, but it's not one of my favorites because I don't find it scales as well late game. You can't stack doom with the base skill. That means it will proc one burst of damage no matter how many times you hit. Then you can get one stack again. There is an Ares boon that will let you stack doom, but it only gives you like a 5 point bonus per stack rather than full damage for each one. So it's okay, but not the game changer it sounds like at first. I think there's a boon to immediately proc on special damage too, but that might have been removed in a patch since I haven't seen it in a while.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think there's a boon to immediately proc on special damage too, but that might have been removed in a patch since I haven't seen it in a while.

Nah, it’s still in the game. Definitely best when paired with the other support boon that increases Doom damage but also increases the delay before it activates.

edit: Upon consulting the wiki, it’s a Duo boon that can only appear if you’ve collected boons from both Ares and Athena.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 16, 2019

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's also a Duo boon with Ares and Aphrodite that makes it so if a target is Weak and you apply Doom to it, Doom procs CONTINUALLY until the weak wears off, which is kind of absurdly good.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Any tips for Satisfactory? I realized I should split ore before going to a smelter and rebuilt my whole setup. I'm feeling the inefficiencies and recognizing that some things need to be produced way more than others and I'd rather start fresh on a new site than tear it all down, especially since I got coal power.

Probably later than the intention of this thread but I'd like some newb tips.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Heran Bago posted:

Any tips for Satisfactory? I realized I should split ore before going to a smelter and rebuilt my whole setup. I'm feeling the inefficiencies and recognizing that some things need to be produced way more than others and I'd rather start fresh on a new site than tear it all down, especially since I got coal power.

Just a couple

- landscape the world with platforms to make your factory as flat as possible. They aren't that expensive and you don't want to slap down 9/10ths of a line just to find the map geography in the way.

- It's a bit grognard, but making a paper flowchart of your lines can help. Factorio didn't really suffer from this since it was top down, but the 3D perspective here can make things confusing. Make sure you know what machine is doing what and why.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Heran Bago posted:

Never be afraid to rebuild. You get back 100% of the build materials for the structures.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Zaodai posted:

There's also a Duo boon with Ares and Aphrodite that makes it so if a target is Weak and you apply Doom to it, Doom procs CONTINUALLY until the weak wears off, which is kind of absurdly good.

That effect diminishes with each application of damage though. It only does 25% damage each time it's applied until it gets to zero. So very good, but not as spectacular as it sounds initially.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That effect diminishes with each application of damage though. It only does 25% damage each time it's applied until it gets to zero. So very good, but not as spectacular as it sounds initially.

It's still "poison, but stronger, and also the enemy is Weak". Which given that poison isn't terrible in the first place is really, really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Zaodai posted:

It's still "poison, but stronger, and also the enemy is Weak". Which given that poison isn't terrible in the first place is really, really strong.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to imply that it's not very good. It is. DOT effects in Hades just tend to not scale as well for me as direct damage. If I run a critical build with Artemis then I can reliably do several hundred damage in the time it would take for doom to proc once. Last night I did a run with the rail where I was hitting for over a thousand every second or two. There's no way DOT can keep up with that.