Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I generally like snow too.

nice to see you dr. ziezek, how's ze ideology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Inzombiac posted:

I only hate it because it's so tepid and boring and then family members will say, "You're a nerd, you know what you'd like?!"

Weird, the exact same thing happens to me, even right after I say, "I don't like the premise of the show and will never watch it."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

steinrokkan posted:

So does Nazism.

Yikes

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a hot take(tm)

Big Bang Theory is the "nerd" equivalent of Tyler Perry.

Insomuch as it is objectively horrible and bland, with major problematic aspects. But otherwise reasonable people will tie themselves in logical knots to explain why it is actually good, when in reality they only watch it, (bear in mind I didn't say like it), because of representation, (it has people of a type that aren't represented in other mainstream media).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

....white people?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nerds

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stonk:

Ugh! Keep those vile things off the tv wtf is wrong with people, disgusting, I hate this.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a hot take(tm)

Big Bang Theory is the "nerd" equivalent of Tyler Perry.

Insomuch as it is objectively horrible and bland, with major problematic aspects. But otherwise reasonable people will tie themselves in logical knots to explain why it is actually good, when in reality they only watch it, (bear in mind I didn't say like it), because of representation, (it has people of a type that aren't represented in other mainstream media).

I don't know if I'd call someone who watches big bang theory without liking it, because it has "nerds" in it, "reasonable". I also have never met a single person I'd consider an actual "nerd" who even pays the show passing attention for any reason other than mockery, frankly

it's for people who like neil degrasse tyson style takes and not thinking about the thing too much, which is good, because you shouldn't think about big bang theory a lot, as it is a bad show with all sorts of very strange and occasionally kinda hosed up implications in its writing. That kinda stuff is where 100% of the jokes are aimed though, it's not for physicists, or people who like computer touching, or anyone like that, it's for people who @elonmusk "mix my guts sir" and post about baby yoda

young sheldon is where the real big bang deep lore is, anyway

also "nerd blackface" is offensive and stupid
e: that didn't need clarification, it just is extremely, exactly that

anyway I found this earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-dz71M4DQ

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Dec 15, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the only thing worse than a nerd is a normie imo

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Big Bang Theory with no laugh track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

Friends with no laugh track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKgXehYnnw

Edit: actually posted the Friends without laugh track video.

winterwerefox has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Dec 15, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Literally every sitcom with a laugh track feels weird and creepy when you remove it. It's almost like the joke timings are completely different from a non-laugh track show.

Also you posted the same video twice.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

RatHat posted:

Look, the first one is what you get when you remove the laugh track from Big Bang Theory, the second video is what you get when you remove the laugh track from Friends. I know it's a lot different from the Friends you're used to but it says what it is right there in the post.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I hate people who call big bang theory nerd blackface because it distracts from how offensive the show actually is. They made Leonard the "normal" one and made every other character some sort of broad stereotype. Every woman is a shrill harpy. The Indian guy makes Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit seem tasteful. Somehow even the Jewish guy comes off as offensive despite Chuck Lorre being jewish. They made Sheldon a combination of every stereotype of autistic people.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Its a show aimed at your average computer touchers mom/dad, with characters that will remind them of how they think their of their kid (an unfuckable pedant with infinite knowledge of childish poo poo). Then it imagines success for these nerds: actual in person friends, unreasonably attractive women, good jobs. The intended viewers sigh wistfully and hope for a better future as their actual nerd children in the basement crank their increasingly numb hogs to, i dunno, gamer girl bathwater memes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfI_YUGjqFs

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

rodbeard posted:

The Indian guy makes Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit seem tasteful

I watched those movies all the time as a kid but haven't seen them in decades and never even realized until just now that the guy wasn't Indian :stare:

Like it was all just some warm fuzzy blur of some 80s nerd characters saying "Johnny Five" over and over again and I just looked at some clips and what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6TLYwelOPk

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Bigotry? In my 80s movies?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Its a show aimed at your average computer touchers mom/dad, with characters that will remind them of how they think their of their kid (an unfuckable pedant with infinite knowledge of childish poo poo). Then it imagines success for these nerds: actual in person friends, unreasonably attractive women, good jobs. The intended viewers sigh wistfully and hope for a better future as their actual nerd children in the basement crank their increasingly numb hogs to, i dunno, gamer girl bathwater memes.

While I agree, how do you explain younger people liking it?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a show for dumb idiots, hth.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Until today, I had no thoughts about never having watched a single episode of Big Bang Theory.

Thanks to this thread, I am overjoyed.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

RatHat posted:

:downs:

Here is what I meant to post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKgXehYnnw

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Magmatic take: Chuck Lorre isn't a Jew, he's a fascist collaborator who thirsts for Palestinian genocide.

steinrokkan posted:

Every objectively terrible thing that must be destroyed and subjected to damnatio memoriae for the sake of humanity is a cherished and foundational aspect of the identity of 40 - 60% of the population.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

goose willis posted:

I watched those movies all the time as a kid but haven't seen them in decades and never even realized until just now that the guy wasn't Indian :stare:

Like it was all just some warm fuzzy blur of some 80s nerd characters saying "Johnny Five" over and over again and I just looked at some clips and what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6TLYwelOPk

my friend just wait until you rediscover Remo Williams

IMHO one of Joel Grey's finest performances and every Korean I know that has seen the movie thinks it's hilarious

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I tried, really hard to watch several episode of big bang theory about 10 or so years ago, because I heard it was funny.
Every episode I turned off before the first commercial break because they were awful. After the "severalth" episode, I decided that the show was unwatchable.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I watched the first couple of seasons of Big Bang Theory when it was still a (mostly) cute, inoffensive comedy about a bunch of nerds and I think that it has suffered the same fate as Southpark where one member of the group is an absolute nightmare to be around most of the time (Sheldon/Cartman) but they become the breakout character when the show got big so they ended up getting most of the focus. Leonard is supposed to be the "main" character of the show but he's such the straight man in the group that Sheldon saying "Bazinga" is all anyone remembers (and gets the prequel spinoff show).

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

dreamin of semen posted:

I don't know if I'd call someone who watches big bang theory without liking it, because it has "nerds" in it, "reasonable". I also have never met a single person I'd consider an actual "nerd" who even pays the show passing attention for any reason other than mockery, frankly

it's for people who like neil degrasse tyson style takes and not thinking about the thing too much, which is good, because you shouldn't think about big bang theory a lot, as it is a bad show with all sorts of very strange and occasionally kinda hosed up implications in its writing. That kinda stuff is where 100% of the jokes are aimed though, it's not for physicists, or people who like computer touching, or anyone like that, it's for people who @elonmusk "mix my guts sir" and post about baby yoda

young sheldon is where the real big bang deep lore is, anyway

also "nerd blackface" is offensive and stupid
e: that didn't need clarification, it just is extremely, exactly that

anyway I found this earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-dz71M4DQ

This made me look it up and Musk actually made a cameo in Young Sheldon. I had to skip through the clip i couldn't make it through the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jAlPQau5Hc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hate this child and the man it's become.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
BIg Bang Theory's worst sin is just plain old not being funny.

My mom loved it - DVR's it to death in spite of it being on TV almost 24/7 - and tried to get me to watch it and I just...ugh. I don't hate it I just hate its popularity or maybe I just don't "get it". Actually I DO hate it. It seems to me it's the sort of show that appeals to people who don't...um....know how people really behave or actually interact with each other so I can't relate...or...gently caress, I don't know. I feel the same way about Friends, Two and Half Men and whatever that Erkle show was. Maybe I'm a comedy snob or something.

It's just kind of there, meandering, and it's ratings dominance that puts in the same category as stuff like Cheers, Seinfeld and All in the Family is totally baffling to me and gives me an irrational hatred for it. The acting isn't even very good. I'm gently caress all if I can figure out why this show rose to the level of popularity that it did or why anyone thinks it's funny but good on them I guess.

Someone post a funny clip from this show and change my mind.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've caught a few episodes of Young Sheldon because the TV at work is basically always tuned to CBS. It's weird how the spinoff is way more watchable than the original. That little boy does a much better job of making Sheldon seem like an actual human being.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

rodbeard posted:

I've caught a few episodes of Young Sheldon because the TV at work is basically always tuned to CBS. It's weird how the spinoff is way more watchable than the original. That little boy does a much better job of making Sheldon seem like an actual human being.

So you're saying this is the vanguard of introducing maximum voting ages?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Does Elon trap him in his pedo submarine?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rodbeard posted:

That little boy does a much better job of making Sheldon seem like an actual human being.
This, so much. A shame it has the same sponsors who are all apartheidists. I always assume the actors are relatively blameless and just doing it for a paycheck because it beats homelessness/poverty. Mayim Bialik (sp?) has gone on record as pro-apartheid, however. :mad:

Edit: Please, god, don't let Jason Alexander be pro-apartheid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cool.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BiggerBoat posted:

BIg Bang Theory's worst sin is just plain old not being funny.

Yup...in addition to general sitcom cliches, it seemed to rely making a joke just by saying a nerdish word/reference.

I'm pulling this 100% out of my rear end but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the start of an actual epsiode:
Penny: [Bursts into apartment] Leonard, my internet stopped working. Can you do your "nerd magic" and make it work?
{Laugh track}
Leonard: Sorry Penny, we've got plans tonight. Penny: Oh, what, are you guys playing Dungeons and Dragons?
{Lught track}
Leonard: No...that's tomorrow night...{laugh track} We're seeing a movie.
Sheldon: [Bursts into room in full-Jedi costume, massive laugh track] Guys, we're going to be late. If we don't leave in exactly 3.2 minutes, accounting for 13.5 minutes of travel time, we won't have the 46.6 minutes we need to get popcorn, get seats that can accommodate all of us at the optimum viewing angle, and argue with the row behind us if the Special Editions are good...
{Massive laugh track}
Spoiler alert, they're not.
{Laugh track.}
Penny: And who are you supposed to be...a Klingon?
{Laugh track.}
Sheldon: I won't even dignify that with a response...other than to say I despise Will Wheaton.
{Laugh track}
Raj: I hope there will be women there...you know I love the ladies!
{Laugh track}
Howard: sorry guys, I can't go...I have to stay home and was my mom's back.
{Laugh track}

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I loved that episode!

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yup...in addition to general sitcom cliches, it seemed to rely making a joke just by saying a nerdish word/reference.

I'm pulling this 100% out of my rear end but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the start of an actual epsiode:
Penny: [Bursts into apartment] Leonard, my internet stopped working. Can you do your "nerd magic" and make it work?
{Laugh track}
Leonard: Sorry Penny, we've got plans tonight. Penny: Oh, what, are you guys playing Dungeons and Dragons?
{Lught track}
Sheldon: [Bursts into room in full-Jedi costume, massive laugh track] Guys, we're going to be late. If we don't leave in exactly 3.2 minutes, accounting for 13.5 minutes of travel time, we won't have the 46.6 minutes we need to get popcorn, get seats that can accommodate all of us at the optimum viewing angle, and argue with the row behind us if the Special Editions are good...
{Massive laugh track}
{Laugh track.}
{Laugh track.}
Sheldon: I won't even dignify that with a response...other than to say I despise Will Wheaton.
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}

chuck is that you?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

{Laugh track}
{Lught track}
{Massive laugh track}
{Laugh track.}
{Laugh track.}
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}

and then they all hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

{Laugh track}
{Lught track}
{Massive laugh track}
{Laugh track.}
{Laugh track.}
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}
{Laugh track}

I really appreciate the untagged spoilers, thank you.