Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008T9L6AM/

To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2Z4DBK/
Never heard this one mentioned here. Anyone know if it's good?

Earthsea is a classic, read it if you haven't.

I really liked TBTIF. It's not in her main series, it's a novella about people exploring another star system. As usual with Chambers, it's very character driven with little actual conflict, just challenges for the characters to overcome. Read this one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Dark477 posted:

Are you talking about the quantum thief or the quantum magician?

Good pick-up, I did mean the magician. Sorry for the confusion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pradmer posted:

New kindle deals today.

Underground Airlines by Ben H Winters - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017RQP41O/
This is the same author who did the Last Policeman series. No idea if this is as good.

I liked it but it is a huge downer (not a surprise seeing as the premise is that the Civil War ended before it began and slavery has survived to modern day.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, asked an offsite for book recommendations for a present. Anyone read To Say Nothing of the Dog? It sounds like a good fit and I'd like impressions

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, asked an offsite for book recommendations for a present. Anyone read To Say Nothing of the Dog? It sounds like a good fit and I'd like impressions

By Connie Willis? I remember liking it, but I also read it like 10+ years ago so I don't remember what I liked about it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this got lost, but any thoughts on the Lightbringer series? Looking for some big rear end fantasy books to get into.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

It is very much a book that your mum who reads Jane Austen will enjoy. It is written like a comedy of manners where the protagonists are time travellers snooping around for an antique.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Who doesn't read and enjoy Jane Austen?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
To Say Nothing of the Dog is funny and good be with a good audiobook too

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tokamak posted:

It is very much a book that your mum who reads Jane Austen will enjoy.

Or Jerome K Jerome : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_in_a_Boat

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

It's a lot of fun, as long as you're okay with time travel. (There are basically two kinds of time travel stories: the ones where it's just a plot convenience for getting a character from the future to the past or vice versa, and ones that delve deeper into the mechanics of time travel and play around with time loops, questions of causality, etc. To Say Nothing of the Dog is more the second kind.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

StashAugustine posted:

It's one of my favorite comfort reads and happens to be a pretty charming romance novel.

Be sure and google a picture of the bishop's bird stump. It is a real thing that existed.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Not sure if this got lost, but any thoughts on the Lightbringer series? Looking for some big rear end fantasy books to get into.

I liked them as audiobooks where I could just tune out the annoying parts but not sure if I could stand reading them. The actual "main character" is just annoying, which Weeks tried to make that intentional to start with but even beyond that he's just annoying as all hell and feels overshadowed by other POV characters. The other reason I didn't like it is hard to explain but if you're a stickler for detail and consistency (which, unfortunately, I am) there are several major plot points that get constantly "updated" in the sense of everything you thought you knew via the story before hand was actually a misdirection/not the actual thing and the new state of the world is out of sync with the previous story as written. Best way I can think of as a comparison is imagine The Last Jedi movie and the hyperspace thing. A few similar sort of story changes here, where you can be bothered that it's just changed the rules in ways that make a lot of previous stuff make no sense or you can just take it face value and keep reading.

Edit:
Other than that it's a decent epic fantasy style series with a common (as in it shows up regularly in the books, not common as in D&D style) magic system, so if you're looking for Sanderson-esque style of magic systems then it's a great alternative.

It's also worth pointing out I listened to the Graphic Audio versions, so annoying character (plus a couple others) in an abridged format. Could be much worse if you listen to the normal version.

nessin fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 16, 2019

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

Who doesn't read and enjoy Jane Austen?

Raises hand.

She's got a lot to answer for from my teenage years.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr Darcy posted:

Raises hand.

She's got a lot to answer for from my teenage years.

:golfclap:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Old Man's War by John Scalzi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SEIK2S/
Rightfully criticized for some of his later books, like the one where he tells the same story twice. This one is still good imo.

Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJAGO/
Haven't read it yet, but I've seen it much discussed and loved here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

By the way I appreciate the sales posts in this thread. I don't do ebooks but I share them with my non-goon bookchat and they're all over 'em.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I finished Recursion and man, that stays strong all the way through.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

StrixNebulosa posted:

By the way I appreciate the sales posts in this thread. I don't do ebooks but I share them with my non-goon bookchat and they're all over 'em.

Thanks. Glad I'm not just annoying everyone.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

pradmer posted:

Thanks. Glad I'm not just annoying everyone.

Nope, I picked up Rage of Dragons
Much appreciated.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pradmer posted:

Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJAGO/
Haven't read it yet, but I've seen it much discussed and loved here.
You're missing out. It's really, really good.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Just finished The Light of All that Falls, the final book in the Licanius trilogy by James Islington. Overall I think I really liked it, but gently caress me if I wasn't struggling to remember all the terms and events from the previous books. Also not sure how I feel about Aelric (who I'd completely forgotten existed) coming out of nowhere and god mode-ing to destroy the columns and save Wirr, I understand he's going to go more into the backstory there in another book but it felt very deus ex machina-ey. Still good though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Steel Frame and loved it, but then again Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies so I was definitely the target audience here.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon/Steel Remains et al) is a massive loving terf

https://twitter.com/quellist1/status/1207744446340747273

This seems like brainworms given his breakout series essentially said that flesh was mutable and you could switch bodies, and his fantasy series had a hella gay protagonist, but...yeah, apparently the signs have been there for a while, he's just now come out with it to defend jk rowling of all people (whose post basically ignored all of the actual legal reasons why the employee was fired, the court supported that firing, and then the appeal court supported it, all because they were a massive bigot as well).

PST fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 20, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gently caress. Thanks for letting me know.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Well, at least I can save a few bucks down the road now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ah poo poo.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
Oof. Yikes. Wow.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1207853326680899584

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PST posted:

This seems like brainworms given his breakout series essentially said that flesh was mutable and you could switch bodies, and his fantasy series had a hella gay protagonist, but...yeah, apparently the signs have been there for a while, he's just now come out with it to defend jk rowling of all people (whose post basically ignored all of the actual legal reasons why the employee was fired, the court supported that firing, and then the appeal court supported it, all because they were a massive bigot as well).

"I'm a feminist, equality for women!"
*sees a trans person*
"No not that one."

Rowling continuing to out herself as a huge pile of poo poo isn't anything new, sadly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao vandermeer owns, it's nice to see

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1207780226228523011

eke out fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 20, 2019

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

VanderMeer is a solid dude. Also, takes great bird pictures.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Richard Morgan's big money making book is literally a story about people changing bodies gaaaaaaaaaaah

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sci-if authors have this extra bone that starts growing and pushing into their brains in their fifties. There is no other explanation

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I mean it's not like the signs of him being a idiot weren't already there, from when he was going around yelling "THE SEX I WRITE IS THE SEX I HAVE" and "YOU CAN'T HANDLE MY DEPICTION OF A BLACK ALPHA MALE" at random review bloggers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
gently caress's sake Morgan, but at least Jeff's good.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Sci-if authors have this extra bone that starts growing and pushing into their brains in their fifties. There is no other explanation

It may not be a bone, it could be some awful new organ or something.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

90s Cringe Rock posted:

gently caress's sake Morgan, but at least Jeff's good.

It may not be a bone, it could be some awful new organ or something.

I believe you are referring to the lower horn.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PST posted:

Terfs are some of the dumbest poo poo. I mean even suppose you believe all trans people suffer from some kind of social delusion that just reduces the court cases to something like defending the god-given right to call fat people fat to their face. What has to be wrong with your brain if you don't get this?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
FYI the judge in that employment case loving served her.

quote:

The Claimant’s position is that even if a trans woman has a Gender Recognition Certificate, she cannot honestly describe herself as a woman. That belief is not worthy of respect in a democratic society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

genericnick posted:

Terfs are some of the dumbest poo poo. I mean even suppose you believe all trans people suffer from some kind of social delusion that just reduces the court cases to something like defending the god-given right to call fat people fat to their face. What has to be wrong with your brain if you don't get this?

I've never seen a terf who wasn't, on some fundamental level, gleefully cruel. It really does come down to "I want to hurt people, I want to make them miserable, and I want to be held above reproach for it because I'm BeInG ScIenTiFic and ReAsOnAbLe"