Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Farm boys are poors and jocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I suppose Mookie got really bored by the "farmboy" trope, but completely missed the point as is his usual. Or..in other words

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Take the masks off the cannon fodder and get characters. If you put the spotlight on the usual 'unlikely heroes' like 'farm boys' *waves his hand like he's grossed out*, put it on the information brokers, the guys who build the weapons for the mercenary heroes, the seers, the squires, the working class, the guards for god's sakes! Put the spotlight on them, that is step 1 for making a hero that is REALLY unlikely."

Do what I say, not what I do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The unlikely hero, the sorcerer son of the world's strongest archmage and the world's best swordsman

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Take the masks off the cannon fodder and get characters. If you put the spotlight on the usual 'unlikely heroes' like 'farm boys' *waves his hand like he's grossed out*, put it on the information brokers, the guys who build the weapons for the mercenary heroes, the seers, the squires, the working class, the guards for god's sakes! Put the spotlight on them, that is step 1 for making a hero that is REALLY unlikely."
Ah yes, the working class. The class that does not include farm boys.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean the real thing there is just "actually, Joseph Campbell's frame is not the only frame you can use for telling stories" but Mookie, as always, is stuck on the trappings rather than the content.

It'd be cool if he did some extra reading and really fleshed out that panel, cause writing just to go against convention is some terrible TVTropes thinking. All of Mookie's worst ideas came from trying to buck trends without putting any further thought into the wider implications it'd have on the story.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

"Thanks!"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Farmboy is a stand in for humble origins and a disconnection from the world. I don't think it's even that common in fantasy, especially if you read fantasy with female protagonists. Ranger I think is more boring.

Also Mookie is in a glass house when it comes to cliches. His uniqueness comes from cliche mashups, like gluing superheros or metalheads or even legal drama into his fantasy setting. The battle for barthis was so bad, loving benifit concert and a last minute win by the protagonists that was obviously modeled of something out of suits, but is dumb and doubly so for being in a setting with no clear description of how law or the courts or even something like companies would work in this magical fantasy setting. I'm not saying everything has to be pre-defined in worldbuilding, but I really hate when writers assume modern conventions in settings that otherwise don't seem to have any of the components of modern society to make those function. It's just lazy.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 13, 2019

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Little Death posted:

Farmboy is a stand in for humble origins and a disconnection from the world. I don't think it's even that common in fantasy, especially if you read fantasy with female protagonists. Ranger I think is more boring.

You think mookie reads that?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Orc stole his 1st grade book report, Eggmobile blew up his house. What a dunce.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh my god WHO THE gently caress CARES ABOUT THE PAGES YOU ARE LIVING IN A loving CAVE

Give us a reason to care, Mookie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh now how will he remember the

let's see

one sentence on them now?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He was finding mundane pages, right? Was there any indication that the pages themselves were magical or otherwise inherently valuable beyond the words written on them in pt 500 font?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I can't believe this comic has had 2 dream sequences and neither one of them has had any plot meaning. Literally dongs in a white void twice. nothing communicated to the audience, not even interesting visuals.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Let's see...

I'm going to try and recreate the contents from memory.

It has been 200 years since dominic deagan entered the place with the weird name, where dreams are touched by magic and become visions. There was an end of all prophecy and then his legacy.

Okay, checking I got the salient points and it's been about 10 days for me, only a few hours for snout.

Just rewrite the drat pages if you care.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Little Death posted:

I can't believe this comic has had 2 dream sequences and neither one of them has had any plot meaning. Literally dongs in a white void twice. nothing communicated to the audience, not even interesting visuals.

Batman's Shameful Secret > The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: dongs in a white void

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought I must have missed a page, but nope. That was it. That was everything.

I'm beginning to understand why absolutely nothing happened in the three months I stopped reading this comic for.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but the dream sequence is baffling to me. The last update might as well have not happened, and at 3 updates a week Mookie can't afford that much wastage. How can someone be this hard at plotting? Even those madlib story games have a better pacing than this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And he's already gotten all the information. Did he forget everything already.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh no, the orc took the pages that I already read.....Oh no, the magic paper that told me to collect the pages crumbled to dust!......god damnit I’m not going to find anyone to replace my house.

The End.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 13, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Orc has a crush on Dead Lady Covered in Ink?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Calling it now, the text on the pages was a RUSE and the pages actually contain the LAST SPELL OF DOMINIC DEEGAN

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Snout's left hand in the last panel, what

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

snouts 'wide open shock' mouth is always horrible

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Third panel is a mood. A "reading Dominic Deegan" mood.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

you'd think that years of drawing snouts would provide some kind of experience at making them look like snouts, but apparently not

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mors Rattus posted:

you'd think that years of drawing snouts would provide some kind of experience at making them look like snouts, but apparently not

You would think doing the same thing daily for over a decade would make you, even by accident, get better at it but welp.

Mookie’s inability or refusal to improve is frankly impressive. Even B^Uckley’s “art” marginally improved over the years.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

frankly that's even more impressive considering buckley rarely actually drew his comic and mookie is hand drawing every single one of these

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You know what they say, practice makes permanent.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

I assume since Prento is one of Dominic’s students that everyone else in this book is a character from his school. But, I also assume Mookie doesn’t remember any of their names besides the one most like Dominic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I cannot even begin to parse what that list is organized by.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, now we know what kind of face Snout will make during the inevitable sex scene. :shepicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PMush Perfect posted:

Well, now we know what kind of face Snout will make during the inevitable sex scene. :shepicide:

:barf:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic stopped dreaming after he lost his magic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What is that even a list of? Books? Chapters in a book? What? We're given no context.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Thank God only the one relevant entry in that incomprehensibly arranged index was bolded.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Poems maybe?

Also I'm sure Mookie is proud of having planned two whole strips ahead. The fact that the only relevant part of the dreams was the literal text spelling out something the audience has never heard of does undercut it a bit.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 16, 2019

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Christ, so far this comic has consisted of the main character reading poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

snouts 'wide open shock' mouth is always horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

rudecyrus posted:

Christ, so far this comic has consisted of the main character reading poo poo.

The most important thing in the world is stories.

Stories about Dominic Deegan, most especially.