Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The_Franz posted:

it's a display for sneakers, because this guy needs to show off that he spent $400 for $1.50 worth of canvas and rubber and a $398.50 logo badge

Don't forget the 32 cents for the child / slave labor to slap together canvas, rubber, and laces.. and maybe some LEDs if they're for the kiddies

Also don't forget with the new cheesgrater that if you don't put the top cover on just right you blow the cooling solution to hell and could damage built in wifi

Also, behold the world's first $30,000 cheese grater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhcM0fhgC8&t=828s

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

id say that based on the results, its more of a cheese lesser

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

instead of quoting all of you re: mac pro i'm just going to say agreedo on all counts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
currently using carbon copy cloner (rsync with lipstick) to dump poo poo off an apfs volume with bad blocks

has rsync always sucked this hard? it seems to be able to process only a certain number of file per second. doesn't really matter how small the files are, it doesn't go any faster, and it doesn't seem to be multithreaded (like, say robocopy). at this rate it's actually going to take longer than if i just DD the entire volume to another disk

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Raluek posted:

if they were in stock 5 minutes ago when you posted this, they arent now.

which is a shame, cause that owns. kind of outside my impulse buy threshold, but it might be cool enough to justify

really

quote:

Happy Mac / Sad Mac scarves back in stock: vintage Mac ROM from a Power Mac 5200 knit into a scarf. The ROM has hardcoded images in it. Comes with code by @qrs to make an image out of a ROM with a command line script for the exact wrap length of the scarf. https://knityak.com

i think i would actually bully a dweeb wearing a Mac ROM scarf

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

infernal machines posted:

currently using carbon copy cloner (rsync with lipstick) to dump poo poo off an apfs volume with bad blocks

has rsync always sucked this hard? it seems to be able to process only a certain number of file per second. doesn't really matter how small the files are, it doesn't go any faster, and it doesn't seem to be multithreaded (like, say robocopy). at this rate it's actually going to take longer than if i just DD the entire volume to another disk

been a while but try ditto unless you're looking for rsync features

though I mean what do you need apart from your /home folder anyway

don't dd in this age of apfs unless you want things to be not working

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i didn't dd because it's a 1tb drive with only 120gb used, it seemed like a waste, and more importantly i can't guarantee the drive geometries are the same because one is an ssd

the rsync+lipstick thing is just to get a bootable device out the other end because i don't have access to the backups and with bad blocks on the device i'm not entirely sanguine about it not making GBS threads itself or killing time machine

i did anticipate copying 1/10th of the data would not take longer then the theoretical full DD though, i was wrong.

e: so CCC used to use ditto back in the mists or time and evidently changed to rsync for ~reasons~

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 16, 2019

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Roosevelt posted:

really

i think i would actually bully a dweeb wearing a Mac ROM scarf

don’t worry I’m used to it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

id say that based on the results, its more of a cheese lesser
lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lord funk posted:

instead of quoting all of you re: mac pro i'm just going to say agreedo on all counts

but we all said diff things

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

The_Franz posted:

it's a display for sneakers, because this guy needs to show off that he spent $400 for $1.50 worth of canvas and rubber and a $398.50 logo badge

perhaps this analogy could be applied to the mac pro, makes u think

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The_Franz posted:

i'm the light under the couch

*ace Ventura voice* this is a lovely room of child slave labor

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
kids with access to an Apple Watch can ask Siri on the Watch to text or call a number on the paired iPhone, regardless of whether the number is whitelisted or not

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

has rsync always sucked this hard?

yes

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’m the parent covering my child in screens then trying to restrict their access to screens

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol nm. Apple parental restrictions are bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

what if adults do it tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

worth knowing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
robocopy/teracopy is insanely better in every way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

robocopy is incredibly good and i just assumed rsync, despite being OSS, would not suck rear end and would have some basic parity with the windows tools

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rsync is clownshoes yakety sax level application

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the best part is, it seems very likely CCC moved to rsync from the much better performant ditto because they wanted to turn their simple drive copy tool into some mutant backup application, for whatever reason.

so now you can do tons of ridiculous bullshit you have no reason to do as long as time machine exists, but spend $55 to do it, and the one thing you might use the app for is dog slow.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rsync is over 20 years old and here's a quote from its author on why it exists

quote:

The rsync algorithm was developed out of my frustration with the long time it took
to send changes in a source code tree across a dialup network link.

don't rip on rsync cause people are using it for poo poo it's not made to handle

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

it seems like a child should not have an Apple Watch.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nomnom Cookie posted:

don't rip on rsync cause people are using it for poo poo it's not made to handle

i will apologize for absolutely nothing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

robocopy is incredibly good and i just assumed rsync, despite being OSS, would not suck rear end and would have some basic parity with the windows tools

"I didnt think it would be this bad" is basically open sores in a nutshell.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the goal of rsync is that if you already have a mirror somewhere and you want to update it, it will do as little copying possible. to do that it has to read the entire file on both sides and check whats different about it. if you just want to copy files and stomp on the existing junk use something else

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's nothing about rsync that can't be done multithreaded, it just doesn't support it natively for some reason. All the OSS solutions just ad a python wrapper that break the jobs up, so it's clearly trivial to do, but for whatever reason the makers of CCC didn't do that.

The upshot being using rsync as is winds up being much slower than say robocopy for the same task, because it's going to look at every file sequentially

e: this is 100% on the CCC guys for picking the worst way to implement a tool for the job. since the program was ostensibly a drive duplication tool, you know there are going to be tons of tiny files in say logs or god help you, cached chrome data in the user profile, that will take literally hours to transfer because it's going to inspect them in the slowest manner possible, transferring almost nothing because individually they're tiny, but it can still only do so many file ops per second

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 16, 2019

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rsync doesn't support it natively because it was designed and built for an extremely network-IO-bound application that would gain 0 benefit from multithreading. local to local with rsync is more a thing you can do than something you should expect to work well

also, and i'm not sure this is relevant because idk if linux was the original target, rsync is from 1996 when linux didn't really have threads yet

e: yeah i dont think anyones disagreeing with me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm certainly not. otoh, rsync is like og robocopy, except in the intervening years MS saw fit to improve performance by adding native multithreading. for whatever reason that's not a thing anyone maintaining rsync wants to do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

rsync doesn't support it natively because it was designed and built for an extremely network-IO-bound application that would gain 0 benefit from multithreading. local to local with rsync is more a thing you can do than something you should expect to work well

also, and i'm not sure this is relevant because idk if linux was the original target, rsync is from 1996 when linux didn't really have threads yet

e: yeah i dont think anyones disagreeing with me

right. the real problem here is that rsync has been promoted as a tool for synchronizing files when it really shouldn't be used for most file synchronization tasks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just drag folders to the network drive using windows explorer and it just works, op

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
so is this iphone se 2 thing actually real? my 6 holds a charge for 2 hours and loses gps after 2 seconds so I was just about ready to give in. but if there's a normal size phone coming that's a total different thing

I'm not used to the strange world of apple rumors so I don't know if this might be true or is definitely bullshit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

nrook posted:

so is this iphone se 2 thing actually real? my 6 holds a charge for 2 hours and loses gps after 2 seconds so I was just about ready to give in. but if there's a normal size phone coming that's a total different thing

I'm not used to the strange world of apple rumors so I don't know if this might be true or is definitely bullshit

have some local dweeb swap the battery out for a new one and keep on using it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nrook posted:

its gonna be iphone 8 sized, which is to say not reasonably sized, which is to say, just get an iphone se, they're so cheap as to be practically disposable.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
wait you can actually buy se today? gently caress I'm doing that right now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i mean, not from apple (although sometimes they show up in the refurb store), but on swappa or gazelle or whatever theyre like 100 smackers

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

apfs volume with bad blocks

why bad blocks? i know you said 120gb/1tb used and the destination is a ssd but it sets off alarms in my head to access the filesystem on a failing disk instead of cloning it with gnu ddrescue (not dd_rescue) probably from a linux system since the kernel wont undestand the filesystem and nothing can try to automount it

apfs is checksummed right? so if the disk is cloned minus the unreadable parts, which would be filled with whatever was on the disk before (hopefully 0), what happens when macos tries to read a block and the checksum doesnt match? i/o error?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i mean, not from apple (although sometimes they show up in the refurb store), but on swappa or gazelle or whatever theyre like 100 smackers

i think theres about a 10% chance the se will get ios 14, fwiw

(though i am being pessimistic to set myself up for a pleasant surprise if i am wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

graph posted:

i will apologize for absolutely nothing

we know