Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

HerniaFlange posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned it at all in this thread, sorry. Just wanted to make the Charlie Sheen joke.

Edit: Something more on-topic, Seth's trailer for SFV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7wcIGqnwgk

Nah it's my punishment for really liking to watch bad movies, all good

EDIT: On topic, Seth looks cool, I should do the tutorial cuz I still don't totally understand V skills and V meters and stuff

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Samurai Shodown series and both Last Blades fuckin' rule. :D

This post rules and you rule

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mango sentinel posted:

I liked Calamity Trigger because I could just scumbag people with broken Arakune and win.
everyone who played BBCT with characters other than nu-13/arakune was forged in the fires of zoner hell

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arakune and Nu are just taking cover fire for the real dirt that was CT Carl. Let him get close enough to you in the air and you've already lost.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I can't believe Seth is trans

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The online's worthless, though.

It's by the same devs that did KOF97 and Samsho 5S which were patched with good netcode so they might theoretically patch LB2 as well (and Garou) but I think their time may have passed.

i doubt it too, but i just had fun futzing around with it on my vita a bunch. it worked weirdly well as a handheld fighter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FrostyPox posted:

:yikes:

I see. I'll pass, then!

It's basically a gore effect reel, that guy's way overselling it

It's not really worth checking out unless you're into that, but "genuine detriment to society" is a little much for what basically amounts to an effects guy padding his resume

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Look how they massacred my boy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint: 'seth was never male, they were just inhabiting a male body' is a great explanation

not changing the va is an interesting choice too

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Not changing the VA is an interesting choice too

This is what actually saves it for me. I wanted to roll my eyes at it initially because we're gonna make Dr Manhattan another 'step on me' Juri waifu? Meh. But keeping the burly mad science dude voice twists it back to still being Seth enough that it's cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

counterpoint: 'seth was never male, they were just inhabiting a male body' is a great explanation

Not even Capcom's dumb enough to pass up another chance for Michael McConnohie to smarm at the player.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Endorph posted:

Seeing all the confused reactions to the trailer is pretty funny, too, like this is some new concept for SF. Hell, wasn't part of the reason Dictator kept Cammy around was to use her as a backup body in case something happened to him?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

Seeing all the confused reactions to the trailer is pretty funny, too, like this is some new concept for SF. Hell, wasn't part of the reason Dictator kept Cammy around was to use her as a backup body in case something happened to him?

I think he actually did bodyjack her between alpha 3 and sf 2. Also this dynamic is why Cammy has a Dictator alternate costume in both IV and V.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
iirc rose was also an alternate body for bison gone rogue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

if theres anything people love, its performing confusion whenever something vaguely outside of gender norms happens, even though stuff like this has been an insanely common theme in storytelling basically forever

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

if theres anything people love, its performing confusion whenever something vaguely outside of gender norms happens, even though stuff like this has been an insanely common theme in storytelling basically forever

I've heard that LTG was "confused" about the body - voice thing, but considering he's already been a garbage rear end transphobe previously, I couldn't be bothered to see what was actually said.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, real noob question here, but I've been reading/watching some guides and I keep hearing stuff like "This move is -8", "This move is +1".

The hell do those numbers mean?

The full context was "[Move] is somewhat safe on block and -8 with minor pushback"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FrostyPox posted:

Hey, real noob question here, but I've been reading/watching some guides and I keep hearing stuff like "This move is -8", "This move is +1".

The full context was "[Move] is somewhat safe on block and -8 with minor pushback"

That's what people call framedata. Roughly, plus and minus moves mean how quick your move recovers relative to the opponent's reaction, be it blocking or getting hit. So let's say you do a move that's -3 on block. If you try to use a move that takes 3 frames to come out after they block that (that's a fast jab in SF), you're gonna lose to anything that starts up in 5 or 6 frames, depending on the game. You should assume that being minus is bad and being plus is good. -8 on block being somewhat safe feels like it's a Tekken thing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's referring to frame advantage/disadvantage.

If a move is plus on block, that means if you attack an opponent and they block it, you are able to act before the opponent gets out of blockstun.
So if a move is +1 on block, that means if your opponent blocks that move, you get to act 1 frame before they do. So you're safe, and could follow up with a fast move, but a big slow move your opponent could be able to interrupt with a fast attack, since you only are getting to act 1 frame before them.

If a move is -8 on block, your move has a long enough recovery period after it lands that your opponent leaves blockstun 8 frames before you are able to act. So if they use an attack that takes 8 frames or less to hit, you won't be able to block it because you're still in recovery. Perhaps if the move also pushes them back far enough, none of their moves that are that fast will be in range.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dias posted:

That's what people call framedata. Roughly, plus and minus moves mean how quick your move recovers relative to the opponent's reaction, be it blocking or getting hit. So let's say you do a move that's -3 on block. If you try to use a move that takes 3 frames to come out after they block that (that's a fast jab in SF), you're gonna lose to anything that starts up in 5 or 6 frames, depending on the game. You should assume that being minus is bad and being plus is good. -8 on block being somewhat safe feels like it's a Tekken thing?

Ah, I see. Thanks!

It was actually related to Scarecrow in Injustice 2

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

It's frame data, representing if you can act sooner, later, or at the same time as your opponent when the current attack/block animations are over.
The number is the 1/60ths of a second of time you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtfdx3sZE18

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FrostyPox posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks!

It was actually related to Scarecrow in Injustice 2

Ah, that makes sense. Framedata is a weird thing to read at first, and it varies depending on the game. SF usually has anything that's -4 or under being unsafe, moves that most characters can punish with a combo, but Tekken is a bit slower so you have to be at least -11 for a move to be punishable. NRS games are a weird mix between 2D and 3D games, I think the earliest a move is unsafe is -6? -8 with pushback probably gets you away from faster, short-ranged buttons, so that's why they called it "somewhat safe".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dias posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Framedata is a weird thing to read at first, and it varies depending on the game. SF usually has anything that's -4 or under being unsafe, moves that most characters can punish with a combo, but Tekken is a bit slower so you have to be at least -11 for a move to be punishable. NRS games are a weird mix between 2D and 3D games, I think the earliest a move is unsafe is -6? -8 with pushback probably gets you away from faster, short-ranged buttons, so that's why they called it "somewhat safe".

In MK11 the fastest two pokes in the game are 6f but practically speaking anything -6 or lower is safe, and some higher negative moves give enough pushback on block that they're effectively unpunishable anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's basically a gore effect reel, that guy's way overselling it

It's not really worth checking out unless you're into that, but "genuine detriment to society" is a little much for what basically amounts to an effects guy padding his resume

Yeah they were meant less to be a movie and more to be a video resume of special effects and/or stunts like Battle Girl: Living Dead in Tokyo Bay or Batman: Dead End.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Yardbomb posted:

I've heard that LTG was "confused" about the body - voice thing, but considering he's already been a garbage rear end transphobe previously, I couldn't be bothered to see what was actually said.

LTG also says the most homosexual things ever and tries to pass it off as "nuh uh if you thought what I said was gay, you're gay!" (he literally depicted a graphic scenario in which he wanted to commit sexual assault on someone with the help of his "disciples" just because he got beat in a online Street Fighter match). There's... just a lot of reasons why one shouldn't pay LTG any mind or attention, especially in late 2019.

But I am geniunelly excited for this Seth; it's a more unique and engaging design choice than "bald gray person with a yin-yang for a stomach", I still get to hear Michael McConnohie ham it up, and the play style looks pretty extravagant comparison to my boring-rear end Cammy.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Archer666 posted:

I think he actually did bodyjack her between alpha 3 and sf 2. Also this dynamic is why Cammy has a Dictator alternate costume in both IV and V.

I have to be a nerd and correct you here, It was actually Rose he bodyjacked due to the fact the she possesses/is the good part of his soul he purged from himself when he went full evil.
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters3/rose-bisoncap.jpg

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dear capcom please have rose possessed by bison next time she appears so norio wakamoto can voice act her too

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

iirc rose was also an alternate body for bison gone rogue

Nah she was just some fortune teller that just happened to share a soul with M Bison. She got possessed by him for a while but wasn't part of the Doll program.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dias posted:

Minor correction but -10 is the punishment threshold in Tekken, everybody has at least a tiny jab string or quick headbutt or something that comes out in 10 frames. -9 and higher is safe

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mr.Flibble posted:

I have to be a nerd and correct you here, It was actually Rose he bodyjacked due to the fact the she possesses/is the good part of his soul he purged from himself when he went full evil.
https://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters3/rose-bisoncap.jpg

They retconned that since the last time I looked then. Cause I remember one of the older art books having art of Cammy with Dictators cap sitting on his throne.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Minor correction but -10 is the punishment threshold in Tekken, everybody has at least a tiny jab string or quick headbutt or something that comes out in 10 frames. -9 and higher is safe

You aren't going to punish a -10 move reliably even with jabs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's hard but it's possible

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All this lore chat makes me realize I kinda like that fighting games have story modes with actual story, even if it's silly poo poo like a factory where they're putting ninja brains in cyborg bodies. The last fighting game I played before all this was Soul Calibur 1 on the Dreamcast and IIRC pretty much the only in-game story was "People really want the big magic sword" though it's been a loooooooooooong time since I played it

I'm an enormous loving nerd for world building

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 16, 2019

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The Incels Are At It Again

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

FrostyPox posted:

If you want to break your brain, go through all of the BlazBlue stories from start to finish

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

MechaX posted:

If you want to break your brain, go through all of the BlazBlue stories from start to finish

No, maybe start with something simpler, like Finnegans Wake.

Race Realists posted:

The Incels Are At It Again

What?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FrostyPox posted:

Check out SNK games, a bunch of interconnected continuity that spans decades of in-game time and a good chunk of it focuses on a single city before you even get into the world is at stake King of Fighters stuff.

SNK made a 80s homage game in Art of Fighting/Art of Fighting 2 that's also a prequel to their Fatal Fury games, waaaaay ahead of the curve with this stuff. Someone made a great effort post earlier in the thread but SNK really was incredible right out of the gate with the Neo Geo and getting you to like their characters and their backstories and stuff. Even, way before anyone else, having tons of character specific dialogue and pre-fight animations and stuff like that unique to certain characters, it's awesome. So even if they didn't have something like a story mode as we know it now with something like the MK games you still got a lot out of them character development wise just from the in-game stuff.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

wouldn't kyo be like, 40 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Juri good now?

J/K I already know the answer.