Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone tell me the context for the scene where Bobby is reviewing on her hand terminal a list of low level Martian navy/marines who have jobs in things like logistics, survey probe intelligence, and protomolecule research? It's shortly before the big betrayal/shootout at the end, but I missed how she obtained that information. I assume they're tied in to the Martian logistics lieutenant captured by the OPA and running supplies to Marco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Can anyone tell me the context for the scene where Bobby is reviewing on her hand terminal a list of low level Martian navy/marines who have jobs in things like logistics, survey probe intelligence, and protomolecule research? It's shortly before the big betrayal/shootout at the end, but I missed how she obtained that information. I assume they're tied in to the Martian logistics lieutenant captured by the OPA and running supplies to Marco.

Keep the scene in mind, but don't read any answer you're given. There is no way to talk about that without huge spoilers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do not attempt to look up answers to this question. It's a little foreshadow for next season.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

only referencing this season, i believe it starts with her tracking down the dead guy and is then going through other people on his office/whatever? maybe going through the blonde chick's notes as well? they talk about exchanging notes and I think shes going through to find out what blondie discovered and cross referecing it with her own surveilance. other than that its another thread to be picked up next season. also be wary of book spoilers out there fam

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
re: time weirdness in this season, we have no idea how long elections are in the UN. It could be several months, it could be three weeks.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Thank you -Amos (and me)

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
So, I have this in my Youtube favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

and I did not make the connection until now that Belters were space Romani.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Oasx posted:

I don’t understand why Ashford let him live, if Ashford was going to die anyway why not kill the man he was there to kill?

Because killing him was no longer the solution. Ashford knew Inaros had a plan to reignite conflict, what he was assuming at the time was to throw the rocks at Ceres and Tycho Station, and as soon as he knew he was dead the mission became getting that information out so someone else could have a chance at stopping it. For everything else he was, Ashford during the time we saw him always put the good of the belt/survival of the species ahead of himself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norton the First posted:

So, I have this in my Youtube favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

and I did not make the connection until now that Belters were space Romani.

There is a lot to unpack in the video

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In a non-spoilery way; she’s checking out known associates.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Just finished the season, hot drat it’s everything I wanted and more, but it stopped just short of where I thought it was going to end up (asteroid strikes)

I wonder if it was intentional when Alex is asking about where Felcia is and refers to her as “Felcia Merton” when Amazon says her father’s name is Jakob Mazur. It seemed a bit weird since Basia Merton (Katoa’s dad who had a brief appearance in season 2) is the book analogue to the Lucia character in the show.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bou posted:

Firstly unspoilering this one:

The dawning realization on Murtry's face as he catch's Amos' psycho face and realizes exactly how badly he hosed up never gets old.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Kithkar posted:

Because killing him was no longer the solution. Ashford knew Inaros had a plan to reignite conflict, what he was assuming at the time was to throw the rocks at Ceres and Tycho Station, and as soon as he knew he was dead the mission became getting that information out so someone else could have a chance at stopping it. For everything else he was, Ashford during the time we saw him always put the good of the belt/survival of the species ahead of himself.

End of season: There's also that whole scene where Ashford explains why they aren't going to kill a prisoner to the other Belters - the speech about how they have family, someone who loves them, someone who will seek revenge.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I don't know if it's just because of how the actor looks, but I'm getting some Psi Cop Al Bester vibes from Murtry.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Things I didn’t like about the season:
*Babu Bhatt getting recast with someone 20 years younger than him.
*Complete lack of Jared Harris
*Fred’s transformation into Ol’ Dirty Butcher

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The more that I think about it the more it makes sense for them to slowdown time compared to the books (which I haven't read). All the worldbuilding done this season helps give viewers a good sense about what Earth/Mars are like since the show didn't spend a ton of time on them before, we got a taste of Earth in season 2, but that's about it. Now we've got a sense of what these places are like, and how they're beginning to change, with more dramatic changes coming. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kithkar posted:

Maybe I missed something, but how did he get the information out?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The time stuff is kinda funky but the ring is supposed to be like 21 AU from earth, plus the travel through the slow zone and out to ilus. in that context theres time for election season to roll around. the travel montage is basically non existent though.

Oasx posted:

Maybe I missed something, but how did he get the information out?

he turned on his space phones recorder and linked it to his ship which presumably relayed it to the OPA

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SpookyLizard posted:

The time stuff is kinda funky but the ring is supposed to be like 21 AU from earth, plus the travel through the slow zone and out to ilus. in that context theres time for election season to roll around. the travel montage is basically non existent though.

I started re-reading the fifth book which gives an Ilus timeline right up front. Time taken for the Roci to go to Ilus, do their thing, and return to Tycho Station is just under three years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

I started re-reading the fifth book which gives an Ilus timeline right up front. Time taken for the Roci to go to Ilus, do their thing, and return to Tycho Station is just under three years.

which doesn't make a lick of sense, from memory did the trip from Medina to Ilus take like 78 days?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Finished it last night, was very good. Recently binged the whole series right before this season dropped.

Not sure how or why Murtry got away with being such a loving ghoul in the first place but Burn Gorman knocked it into the stratosphere with his performance. Also YAAAAS QUEEN when Amos, our bully who bullies the bullies, finally got to eat Murtry alive.

Ashford :smith:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ok after all my troll posting I hope I can redeem myself with a nice screenshot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok after all my troll posting I hope I can redeem myself with a nice screenshot.

That's a great screenshot.

This next season is going to loving go places previously thought impossible. If anything, I wish this season ended with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECewrAld3zw

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 16, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would have been really loving hilarious if one of the ring gates went to whatever planet the Mormons planned on going to. If they had kept the nauvoo and left, they finally get to their destination and there's belters already living there.

Also was it still the slow zone? I thought the station lifted the speed limit last season.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Cojawfee posted:

It would have been really loving hilarious if one of the ring gates went to whatever planet the Mormons planned on going to. If they had kept the nauvoo and left, they finally get to their destination and there's belters already living there.

Also was it still the slow zone? I thought the station lifted the speed limit last season.

They're still calling it the slow zone but yeah it's normal physics now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chad Coleman reprising his roles on some of my favourite shows this year.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 16, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cojawfee posted:

Without the Nauvoo becoming The Behemoth in the Slow Zone everyone with injuries would have died due to lack of gravity and tensions would have resulted in a shooting war. They would likely have gone through with the plan of nuking the gates. There would also be no Medina station because the Behemoth would not have become it. The only reason that didn't turn into a who owns the station in the Slow Zone: Earth of Mars, is because the Belters basically brought a station with them.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beefeater1980 posted:

In a non-spoilery way; she’s checking out known associates.

I wonder who this Commander Duarte guy is listed on all their records.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Great season. Love this show. More please.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

Finished it last night, was very good. Recently binged the whole series right before this season dropped.

Not sure how or why Murtry got away with being such a loving ghoul in the first place but Burn Gorman knocked it into the stratosphere with his performance. Also YAAAAS QUEEN when Amos, our bully who bullies the bullies, finally got to eat Murtry alive.

Ashford :smith:

Jim is just too idealistic. He needs to drop some of the faith in humanity bullshit and just let Amos off the chain when one of these psychos pops up. Upshot is more scenes of Amos being a meatbus, which are always entertaining.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I think all the characters are good but Amos stands out and pretty much makes the show.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, I am about halfway through and the AVASARALA ELECTION DRAMA and BOBBIE FUCKIN' AROUND sideplots are just boring as gently caress.

Also, the editing in this season is (occasionallyh) really bad. All the cuts have just a few too many frames on the lead-in, so everyone just has that short beat before they speak and it makes it really stilted and weird. Not in every scene, but pretty frequently.

Burn Gorman is basically carrying this season on his shoulders so far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This season followed a weak book and didn't really manage to properly flesh out the politics and economics that were brewing under the surface. But goddamnit it was super pretty and the action sequences were on a different level.

We can only hope that now that we're past the silly book future seasons will have a lot more going for them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Man, I am about halfway through and the AVASARALA ELECTION DRAMA and BOBBIE FUCKIN' AROUND sideplots are just boring as gently caress.

Also, the editing in this season is (occasionallyh) really bad. All the cuts have just a few too many frames on the lead-in, so everyone just has that short beat before they speak and it makes it really stilted and weird. Not in every scene, but pretty frequently.

Burn Gorman is basically carrying this season on his shoulders so far.

Bobbie loving around was actually kinda nice because it was the longest we've gotten to see Mars and its culture. Plus hired good Bobbie is an ironic twist for the character. The election felt a bit janky though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This season followed a weak book and didn't really manage to properly flesh out the politics and economics that were brewing under the surface. But goddamnit it was super pretty and the action sequences were on a different level.

We can only hope that now that we're past the silly book future seasons will have a lot more going for them.

Including all the background politics while interesting, would have taken up an equal if not greater amount of screen time.

Do you really want 28 episodes for this book? They did a good job of getting the gist of it in dialog and there's a ton of little background details for the rest if you don't blink.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

The best part about this excellent show is the continuing battle between Drummer and Naomi to have wilder hair and then getting completely upstaged by Ashford. Old man is shameless

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Illus plot dragged on too long, that didn't need to be an entire season. In previous seasons it felt like a plot like that could have been wrapped up in a few episodes, 5 tops. Earth election was boring because zero chemistry with new husband actor. Bobbie stuff I actually enjoyed because it was setting up some seemingly big plot stuff, I got confirmation that Mars society is hosed an awful and Mars deserves to die, and Frankie got to do some more acting. Belter stuff was great. I'd watch a whole show that was just Drummer and Ashford being anarchist space cops.

Those are my important Expanse Season 4 thoughts.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Drummers gonna be real sad and angry when she hears about ashford.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tao of lmao posted:

Drummers gonna be real sad and angry when she hears about ashford.

I hope so. Since she's a free agent now, I fully expect angry Drummer vengeance plot next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
The election just wasn't that interesting because Avasarala was caught in a dilemma from the beginning and it was never going to end well for her. Full season: If Holden and crew succeed, they undermine her position about the dangers of colonization, which is what happened. If they fail or only see some limited success, then her judgment looks weak because her hand-picked expedition fell to disaster. Acknowledging that dilemma early on (like when Avasarala notes that her initial lead should be higher) would've given it some complication and tension instead of whatever they thought was supposed to be suspenseful about it. The fact that she doesn't appear to see that dilemma coming undermines her apparent canniness as a political actor, too.

That's my only real complaint about the season though. I loved Miller's "Btw there's protomolecule puke in the hallway, might wanna clean that poo poo up" part. Speaking of Miller, doors and corners, Ashford. Doors and corners.