Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I wonder who this Commander Duarte guy is listed on all their records.
Oh here we go again. "I haven't read the books but I'm especially curious about a certain fact!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh here we go again. "I haven't read the books but I'm especially curious about a certain fact!"

Yeah, gently caress that bullshit.

And yes, this book was weak af, so it's impressive they made it into something as good as it was.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Possibly weakest season (either this or Season 1), but substantially better than the book.

Belter stuff was my favorite.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Warmachine posted:

I hope so. Since she's a free agent now, I fully expect angry Drummer vengeance plot next season.

I really enjoyed how their relationship evolved over time. When ashford was introduced he was painted as “bad opa guy going to do a mutiny” and they so beautifully subverted it to the point that when he does betray the protagonists, he’s doing so for completely believably justifiable reasons.

Great character.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, gently caress that bullshit.

And yes, this book was weak af, so it's impressive they made it into something as good as it was.

I loved this book. I know it was super controversial though. I'm not done S4 yet but am really enjoying it so far, they nailed the casting imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like this show is very good at casting roles in such a way that “That’s not at all how I imagined the character from the book, but yeah, this is even better!”

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Binged the whole S4; havent read the books. Thoughts on entire S4:

Weakest season so far. As happy as I am that the show got picked back up, it almost felt like their budget got cut pretty severely. Reminds me of that Walking Dead season where they just sat in a prison the whole time. No significant character development, no variety in environments, and only 10 episodes. I was hoping for much more.

A couple of weird things that bother me:

The pacing and timing of the plots is all over the place. Avasarala's Election, Bobbie's misadventures, and Belter infighting feels like on weeks/months timeframe. Illus surface feels like days or a few weeks? While the ships in decaying orbits literally count the hours to deorbit. How are all these plots intertwined through the season? Very strange.

Character development was weaksauce. Nobody really did anything. Amos especially felt one dimensional. The freedom to curse changed Avasarala from a cunning politician that could tell you to go to hell and you'd welcome the trip to a short tempered grouch throwing tantrums.

Mertry was generic, doing badguy poo poo just because he's a badguy - a lot of people in this universe need some basic conflict de-escalation training.

The marine admiral tending his resignation - what? Dude that was the option you gave, now you're upset that leadership went with your plan? You've served in Earth's government for how long and just now realized that politics and optics is a thing? Getting bent out of shape that 12 marines died out of a force of how many?

How did that piece of tin roof propped against the spire hold back flood waters?

Wouldn't Holden's blood test show his anti-cancer meds in his system?

The cliffhanger ending feels forced - I'm assuming Avasarala has plot armor and Gao is going to get sniped by an asteroid?

Sigh - hope S5 is better.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
E10- What was your interpretation of Amos' "thank you" line? Thanks for going out fighting? Thanks for giving me a good reason to beat the poo poo out of you?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

E10- What was your interpretation of Amos' "thank you" line? Thanks for going out fighting? Thanks for giving me a good reason to beat the poo poo out of you?

I thought it was a pretty clear
Thanks for giving me a valid self defense argument when 'cap finds you bleeding on the deck missing half your teeth

Doesn't the other option also basically equate to that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The latter.

I've seen budget speculation everywhere, Ty said in an interview it's basically identical. A little higher but the improvements in the effects are just that they're better at doing effects, not that they had more money. This is also why the episodes are the same length, they don't have more money for more filming.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen budget speculation everywhere, Ty said in an interview it's basically identical. A little higher but the improvements in the effects are just that they're better at doing effects, not that they had more money. This is also why the episodes are the same length, they don't have more money for more filming.

Kind of sad that Amazon didn't throw a crazy high budget at it. But I guess you also don't have a sudden jump up in quality 4 seasons into a show. It already looks really good so I'm not sure you'd get any additional viewers that are willing to watch the 3 previous seasons, and starting at season 4 is a terrible idea. I'm picturing what Amazon could do if they rebooted the entire thing with Game of Thrones money levels of investment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get what people are getting at with thinking it's low budget now. It looked great, we got new ship sets, and we got new locations. Is it the planet? What else can you do with a barren planet with one settlement besides make it look like a barren planet with a small settlement on it?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get what people are getting at with thinking it's low budget now. It looked great, we got new ship sets, and we got new locations. Is it the planet? What else can you do with a barren planet with one settlement besides make it look like a barren planet with a small settlement on it?

I wish they'd done at least one or two alien lifeforms beyond the very basic slugs and the mostly metal flying swarm things.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

OldMold posted:

The cliffhanger ending feels forced - I'm assuming Avasarala has plot armor and Gao is going to get sniped by an asteroid?

She's on Luna (her husband isn't oh no) and only Gao's transition team sounds like it is on Luna so she's probably dust yeah.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

I thought it was a pretty clear
Thanks for giving me a valid self defense argument when 'cap finds you bleeding on the deck missing half your teeth

Doesn't the other option also basically equate to that?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Well a big plot point in this season was the need to have batteries powering the ships. And the ones on the Belter ship sucked.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
End of season
When Drummer refused to go with Ashford I realized he wasn't gonna come back to drink that whisky. :(

He was my favourite character these last two seasons. Drummer better use that whisky to give him a real sendoff in Season 5 Episode 1.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Delthalaz posted:

I personally binged the other seasons too, except for Season 3, and we already knew about how much earth blows and is an overcrowded, stifling, listless place. A hell of a lot less happens in Season 4!

I want to comment on the humans = still assholes point because the direction the show is going is really concerning me. You're right, humans are still assholes of course. There are folks like Jules-Pierre Mao who didn't give a poo poo about the 100,000 people he murdered on Eros. But I'm seeing some people online describe the Expanse as a "grimdark" show. I'd argue that the Expanse is not one. Grimdark is an argument about human nature: human beings are essentially selfish, cruel monsters who are only looking out for themselves and their petty bullshit. Of course some people are. But at its best, the Expanse focuses on moments of humanity and self-sacrifice, and those where people overcome their mutual distrust or even hatred to work together and make painful sacrifices for the greater good. Just off the top of my head, Fred Johnson stole the Nauvoo and hurled it at Eros to try to stop the protomolecule. Millar sacrificed himself to stop Eros from crashing into the earth. The most moving scene in the entire series might have been the evacuation of Ganymede, where instead of scrambling, clawing, and killing each other like grimdark animals and overwhelming a ship with limited oxygen supplies (what the shipowner believed would happen), the evacuees accepted the inevitable so that some of them could survive.

In the last season, the final conflict around the ring was between two groups of people, both of which desperately wanted to do the right thing. On the one hand, we had Ashford and the entire fleet demanding to fire the laser in the hopes of destroying the ring and sacrificing themselves. And on the other hand, we had Holden etc. who knew they needed to do what was actually a much more difficult choice: power down the ships and become entirely vulnerable to a terrifying, unpredictable unknown. And they do it. That's as optimistic as loving Star Trek. Humanity is hosed up, but it's redeemable. There's hope.

With this new season I'm worried that we're going to dive into grimdark territory. Murtry is a completely unsympathetic rear end in a top hat and he won't loving die or go away. Even worse, some loving asteroid apocalypse looks like it's about to take place because belters refused to execute a monologuing Super Terrorist. If that does happen, and millions die in an asteroid holocaust-9/11, that's really just too far. I don't know if there's hope and humans are redeemable after that. It's grimdark territory. Book readers: please don't let me know what's going to happen!

Minor future book spoiler It is far worse than you imagined

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OldMold posted:

Binged the whole S4; havent read the books. Thoughts on entire S4:

How did that piece of tin roof propped against the spire hold back flood waters?

RE: thin piece of tin, holding back water and the related pressure is a function of depth, not volume. Little kids can build a sand berm that can hold back the ocean at a foot or two of depth.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Amos has to fight to contain the fuckin beast at all times. I saw it as him finally not having to wear the mask of a sane person and got to do some guilt free rear end beating.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Just started the season and finished episode 1. I really feel like they need to do more to point out just how long it takes to get anywhere. It's been a while, so I'm probably due a rewatch, but I could almost swear season 1 made a bit of habit of pointing out things like "hey it's going to take us at least 2 weeks to get to x" and all that's been dropped now.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Also as a general observation after binging the whole thing I really enjoyed Bobbie's transition from a rust-huffing war mongering OOH-RAH MARS poo poo bucket into an actual human being. She really got a raw deal at the end of season 3 and ate nothing but poo poo through season 4. I hope she comes out on top at the end :ohdear:

I also agree with the thread that we need more Amos all the time in everything.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Warmachine posted:

I hope so. Since she's a free agent now, I fully expect angry Drummer vengeance plot next season.

Even though I don't remember them ever meeting, I kind of ship Drummer and Amos. For the children. The Children of Rage and (understandable) Murder.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

It'll be batteries, but you could probably argue a case for massive amounts of psych meds to stop everyone on Basic or below simply ending it all.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Sammus posted:

Just started the season and finished episode 1. I really feel like they need to do more to point out just how long it takes to get anywhere. It's been a while, so I'm probably due a rewatch, but I could almost swear season 1 made a bit of habit of pointing out things like "hey it's going to take us at least 2 weeks to get to x" and all that's been dropped now.

What? They make it pretty clear early on and throughout the season that comms wise they're like a day away from earth and actual travel time, months.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you're gonna get so much Amos next season you won't know what to do with all that Amos.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sammus posted:

They explicitly said it'd take months to get to the ring from Earth, and then it would take weeks from there to Ilus. There was even a montage of sorts of them checking in with people in the various parts of the system as they went through it to help show the passage of time. The show has definitely had issues displaying time but short of a title card with the current date every scene I don't know what could be done differently.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

They explicitly said it'd take months to get to the ring from Earth, and then it would take weeks from there to Ilus. There was even a montage of sorts of them checking in with people in the various parts of the system as they went through it to help show the passage of time. The show has definitely had issues displaying time but short of a title card with the current date every scene I don't know what could be done differently.

The planet could have called up the Roci the moment it was in system and started to prattle on about their issues. Then Alex could say "we're 3 weeks out, have you tried..." and say something really basic and obvious that they already tried. Started a debate on if they should even listen to the Roci One to Two scenes could have done a lot. They did pretty much all of the arguments the moment the Roci landed, move that to radio chatter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

RE: thin piece of tin, holding back water and the related pressure is a function of depth, not volume. Little kids can build a sand berm that can hold back the ocean at a foot or two of depth.
Yeah. Pudding: https://i.imgur.com/sKZODFU.jpg

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

I was more skeptical of the application than the strength of the barrier. Like, they just sort of leaned it against the hole. A hole that they exploded with jagged edges sticking out. They didn't really seal it or have a gasket or anything. It looked in the outside shot like the hole itself was underwater, so wouldn't water just get around the metal panel between the wall of the spire and the panel itself, and just flood their hiding spot like a toilet tank?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I loved this book. I know it was super controversial though. I'm not done S4 yet but am really enjoying it so far, they nailed the casting imo

I loved it too, but it's like a bottle epidode, see as like 99% of the book takes place near ilus.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 16, 2019

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

OldMold posted:

I was more skeptical of the application than the strength of the barrier. Like, they just sort of leaned it against the hole. A hole that they exploded with jagged edges sticking out. They didn't really seal it or have a gasket or anything. It looked in the outside shot like the hole itself was underwater, so wouldn't water just get around the metal panel between the wall of the spire and the panel itself, and just flood their hiding spot like a toilet tank?

The structure they were hiding in was vast and the surfaces looked like they could allow the water to drain away. I figure as long as it didn't let water in faster than it drained it wouldn't be a problem for a very long time.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Always forget I can't actually pop into Expanse threads after the season ends because of people's urge to post book spoilers, not you guys tho.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pixaal posted:

The planet could have called up the Roci the moment it was in system and started to prattle on about their issues. Then Alex could say "we're 3 weeks out, have you tried..." and say something really basic and obvious that they already tried. Started a debate on if they should even listen to the Roci One to Two scenes could have done a lot. They did pretty much all of the arguments the moment the Roci landed, move that to radio chatter.

Holden's crew wasn't going there to troubleshoot their laptops. They were landing along side a dedicated science team, and Holden's job was to investigate the planet for PM influence, and make the call whether to evacuate everyone or not. Midseason: It's even a plot point that the science team went down 10 hours early, which spoiled the Belters' plan to break the landing pad and delay their arrival, and lead to a bunch of people getting murdered instead. The Roci should have been arriving not long after the science team made planetfall, but instead things had already very much played out on the surface and the science team was already set up.

The Roci crew has gently caress all to do between leaving Earth and landing on Ilus. All the arguments happened after Holden's crew arrived because that's when the arguments became relevant.

I agree that time seemed weird for the four plotlines that were advancing this season, but changing how the events on Ilus played out doesn't really help iron out how long Earth's political season is, how long Bobbie was loving around, or when the anti-piracy events took place.

Actually, I gotta walk that back a bit. There are a couple of scenes where Avasarala plays a message from Ilus, and they comment on the delay. You might be able to use that to try and fix when other events took place relative to Ilus events. Won't matter after the planet wakes up, but worth a shot I guess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone understanding enough English and is still watching dubs in their languages certainly aren't doing themselves any favors with Avasalara's scenes. I can partially understand it for the German ones I watched, altho there's enough substitutes to dial it up accordingly, but French is a great language to swear in, and it's also pretty tame.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I would love if the French dub had everyone speaking mostly dialects of European French, and then Avasarala speaking Quebecois French. It's still french, but it's angry and you construct harsher and harsher swearing by stringing together longer and longer lists of references to proceedings of the Catholic Church.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's used for batteries, ceramics, lubricants and other things.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

It's used for batteries, ceramics, lubricants and other things.

The Martians probably use a lot of lubricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

The Martians probably use a lot of lubricant.

Earth is up 30 billion, Mars just has 9. We gotta get breedin' for Mars, baby :grin: