Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Didn't know Star-Lord visited the Old West :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Didn't know Star-Lord visited the Old West :v:

Starlord's Dad has been in the old west for ages now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Buy the bounty wagon, go out and capture 5 of 6 targets alive, solo. Drive wagon back to Tumbleweed, some random NPC on a horse decides to veer, for no reason, into my horse which pushes up a slight incline. This 'destroys' the wagon and dumps the whole load of people out the back, somehow killing two of them with 30 seconds left on the clock.

Never have I been more understanding of people who scream pointlessly on forums/reddit about how a company is personally loving them. I'm not gonna, beyond this post but man what a shitshow of a series of design decisions that lead to that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Mash cost is temporary. I don’t know if it’s time based or if they just add up to the next time you buy mash.

Time I think. I did a mission, then hosed off for a while, and by the time I needed mash again it cost $30, which I think is full price.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
gently caress why didn't I make my RDO character Data?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

gently caress why didn't I make my RDO character Data?

You get one free character appearance change, then every one after that is 10gold/400 dollars.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Transmogrifier posted:

You get one free character appearance change, then every one after that is 10gold/400 dollars.

Yeah but if it's like the gta online one I can't change genders.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah but if it's like the gta online one I can't change genders.

Sadly no. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any passive mode equivalent in this game? I don't think there is but figured I'd ask in case I was missing something.. I was trying to do some missions with a friend this weekend and had to go into town to do some stuff for it and kept getting blasted by assholes, and then when we fought back it made us Wanted which just escalated things further. We just gave up eventually because trying to figure out what to do while dealing with trolls shooting us in the head if we stopped moving for a second was real frustrating.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Is there any passive mode equivalent in this game? I don't think there is but figured I'd ask in case I was missing something.. I was trying to do some missions with a friend this weekend and had to go into town to do some stuff for it and kept getting blasted by assholes, and then when we fought back it made us Wanted which just escalated things further. We just gave up eventually because trying to figure out what to do while dealing with trolls shooting us in the head if we stopped moving for a second was real frustrating.

Turn on Defensive Mode in the Online Options in the player menu.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh, neat. It looks like it's not exactly the same as Passive mode but should stop fuckers from executing me while waiting around.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Defensive Mode is surprisingly good. I want as little interaction with other folks as possible, especially if they're gonna be assholes, and Defensive Mode makes that feasible. The worst experience I've had with someone else was in a mission we were on, where they kept riding their horse directly in front of mine and knocking me off. Trolling, definitely, but nothing heinous. We still beat the mission just fine.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Time I think. I did a mission, then hosed off for a while, and by the time I needed mash again it cost $30, which I think is full price.

Is it possible to zero it out or was that just for your first batch? I think $30 is the discounted (I've seen it at like $40 or $60 for the basic) and I'm wondering if you can get it lower.

Having to put at least $30 in gives moonshine a really lovely rate of return. The most I can sell for so far is like $80, and having just one bottle break seems to knock that down to around $60 for some reason. So $30 profit for a shipment is... meh. Trading is much better. Maybe that changes with better mash, idk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh is $30 the discounted price? I assumed it was full because that also was the price before I did the mission, but maybe you automatically get a discount on your first batch or the intro story missions count for the discount too or something, I don’t know.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
I think the price goes down further if you do multiple missions, I remember I only paid 10$ once after doing both a bootlegger and a story mission.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
30 bucks seems the lowest you can get mash but when you get the final still throwing in 30 bucks to make 250 a case of moonshine every hour isn't a bad investment.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

zooted heh posted:

30 bucks seems the lowest you can get mash but when you get the final still throwing in 30 bucks to make 250 a case of moonshine every hour isn't a bad investment.

Oh drat that is pretty good. So it seems the baseline is worse than trading but scales up to surpass it with levels and investment. That's cool and fine then.

Also those revenue agents are like special forces or something. They seem much more accurate and deadly than other enemies. I had to clear one of their roadblocks for a bootlegger mission and it was a lot sweatier than other similar missions.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah from what I'm reading if your making the best flavors and using the last still your making around 250 bucks. If your doing that and also getting some animals into your camp your making around 800 in the span of a hour or two.

On top with the outlaw pass your making your gold back and making money just completing levels. Not to mention free mash and supply runs for crips. It's really a no brainer. Buy the battle pass. Making money in RDO is a hell of a lot easier than GTA online.

And yeah I've died more times in the last week then I have all game because of the people you have to fight during the bootlegging stuff.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Bootlegging is cool but annoyingly they really want you to go pick herbs, there are no recipes to just use store bought ingredients so you have to "waste time"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Pwnstar posted:

Bootlegging is cool but annoyingly they really want you to go pick herbs, there are no recipes to just use store bought ingredients so you have to "waste time"
Pick everything always!!

Bootlegging is okay but yeah whoever said you lose too much wagon health when you go off track yeeeesh yeah you right. Run over a few pebbles and your health will drop just enough to annoying you. :argh:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Pwnstar posted:

As said, pick everything. It's really easy once you can pick herbs from horseback too. That also being said, I know Madam Nazar sells herbs and maybe the doctor does too.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
How do you get seven outfits on your horse? My max is currently five and I already have the larger saddlebags.

Is it a outlaw pass unlock or something?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Saturday morning looking fior horsies to break for leverl 10 Horseman, and I see... *something*. Not a horse, not anything I can ID offhand.

Get closer, and it's hot-live-buck-on-cold-dead-buck action - the winner of the dominance battle was still locked up with the loser's rack. (Which, I'd seen before, but not so clearly and with one still alive.) After assisting the one into the cold embrace of Death, I found that the only visible wound on the loser was to the throat. :catstare: Did the killer gore the throat before locking up and waiting for bleedout? Did he lock up and rip out the throat with his teeth? Did he lock up and then got all :ese: with a hoof? :iiam:

So after a little vulch action, I'm slowly walking the horse across the Heartlands, binoculars out and searching, and i see *something* moving in fairly quick, from the right and low. "Da fuk ain't no read preds here", just in time to see a bald eagle just t-bone my horse and die. Lowest possible horse speed short of dead and sliding down a hill. Only thing in 300 yards more than three foot tall. (Wish i had video of it, I'd make a jihadi missile version.) Also not the first time, but the first I'd gotten a good look as ity happened.

Can't blame the birb for the next one as it was a turkey vulture trying to take off as I ran up to a dead gator, and I guess I steamrollered it.

Level 10 Horseman was because I did complete the level 9 dry run Van Horn to Blackwater, with liberal use of Horse Meth and healing poo poo for me, one I got into the Red Zone. Not only is that legit doable, but the online maps for horse spawns lie, and you *can* find a wild Mickey Hargitay Hungarian bodybuilder halfbred in East Elizabeth.

Now grinding orchids and egrets for the nice fancy feller. (I really need the option to go full Dale Earnhardt massive feather stack on my hat)(on *all* hats, stovepipes could use plumes so I can join a marching band)

Oh, and Kiernan. :smith: Game seems a bit hard on Eirsemen - him, Sean, all these loving O'Driscolls I'm stacking up... Potato Famine isn't looking too bad compared to Arthur Morgan, DoomPaddyslayer, eh?

Found a strongbox half dug out of the mud on an island, gives some backstory as to the Grey/Braithwaite feud. Also might help explain why at least one of the families is so broke.

Also got mugged hard, for $1300, in St. Denis. :argh: Guess my new LeMats are gonna get a workout, next time I see those assholes. (I'm a little surprised it wasn't "dude has $13k on him, plus all this fenceable loot and a shitload of these cigarette cards, gator eggs and orchids - kill him and dump him in the river, it's PARTY TIME!".)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alan BStard posted:

How do you get seven outfits on your horse? My max is currently five and I already have the larger saddlebags.

Is it a outlaw pass unlock or something?

The other five are from the Collector saddlebag.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

zooted heh posted:

Making money in RDO is a hell of a lot easier than GTA online.

Yeah I feel like they nailed the economy in this. I've never felt like I'm swimming in cash but I've never felt truly broke either. Gold is a slow but steady trickle if you don't want to buy it. I feel like I can save for any one thing in a reasonable, non-grindy manner and length of time. It's when you start going "I want this, and this, then this, and also this new outfit..." that it really starts adding up.

But nothing feels like a loving GTA yacht where I'd have to play and grind for weeks or months to get that One Thing I Want. I just roam around between hunting, bounty hunting, trading, bootlegging, fishing, clearing hideout, treasure maps, collecting, free roam events, etc and always seem to have enough money coming in to buy a new cool thing and keep myself well-supplied. It's a really fun and relaxing gameplay loop and I'm way more addicted to online than I thought I'd be.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

It's also nice things you can buy are useful, versus that loving yacht that was just another static spawn point with a bonus (unarmed) helicopter on it.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

Capn Beeb posted:

It's also nice things you can buy are useful, versus that loving yacht that was just another static spawn point with a bonus (unarmed) helicopter on it.

there is still some eye-candy stuff to waste money on. Like the Bar addition to the moonshine business doesn't actually do anything for you, but drat if it's not nice to have and mess around in.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ygolonac posted:

Also got mugged hard, for $1300, in St. Denis. :argh: Guess my new LeMats are gonna get a workout, next time I see those assholes. (I'm a little surprised it wasn't "dude has $13k on him, plus all this fenceable loot and a shitload of these cigarette cards, gator eggs and orchids - kill him and dump him in the river, it's PARTY TIME!".)

If it's the same random encounter I got (dude shoves past you going into the gunsmith shop), you can chase the guy down and get your money back - plus everything he's stolen from other people.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

deadseedinside posted:

there is still some eye-candy stuff to waste money on. Like the Bar addition to the moonshine business doesn't actually do anything for you, but drat if it's not nice to have and mess around in.

I could swear I'm getting passive income by having it and attracting more NPCs. It's not a ton, but hey.

I'd also get the camp dog but Cripps is mean to them :(

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

webmeister posted:

If it's the same random encounter I got (dude shoves past you going into the gunsmith shop), you can chase the guy down and get your money back - plus everything he's stolen from other people.

Those dudes. I gave them a dose of vitamin lead via my shotgun delivery system. Only time I’ve been legitimately pissed in this game.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

webmeister posted:

No, that's Random J Pickpocketer - got that twice now, chased him down and beat my cash back out of him. Walked away clean, too, and the one time it counted as "Robbery of a townsman" for a Bandit challenge. :getin:

This was an encounter with a dude near the market, late at night, wants to talk down an alley and you get blunt-objected from behind; wake up in the cemetary, apparently you can run into these dudes again later on and chase 'em down to get (some of) your money back. Maybe. Reports differ, some say it can be done, some never see 'em again.

Immediately after, of course, I'm riding around hoping to spot them again, some punk-rear end city boy mouths off when I say howdy, so I aggro back, over my shoulder because I'd already passed him... and some other punk-rear end city boy runs off and reports me for Disturbing the Peace.

You want disturbing the peace? I'll drag you down the street behind my horse, on the way to whatever location I've decided is best for a full GTA Alamo. Last thing I do with your hogtied body is throw you into the Big Pile o' Police Bodies, and toss a molotov in.

FEAR THE WRATH OF A VENGEFUL ARTHUR!

(Related: did the Rhodes bank robbery. Ended up with $250+ bounty because my partners just hung around at the back of the bank, drawing fire and fresh law-respawns, and as I'm casually loving off to do something else, I keep getting 8-10 bounty hunter teams coming after me. Unlike active law enforcement response, kill the current wave and be done, no running respawns.)

PSA: pelicans provide Exotic Bird Meat. Not sure what the effect is, haven't done any cooking for a while.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

Ygolonac posted:

PSA: pelicans provide Exotic Bird Meat. Not sure what the effect is, haven't done any cooking for a while.

there are some daily challenges online that require you to cook "exotic bird meat"

must have slaughtered half a sanctuary worth of different birds trying to figure out which one was exotic enough

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Wait so I started the Moonshiner Role intro missions, did the supplies mission first, got disconnected and now I have to pay $250 to set up another camp? Will it resume if I do this?

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I haven’t touched MP once but I’m finished SP and the thread really warmed me up

Anything y’all recommend to use with that 200 preorder bonus gold?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

GeorgieMordor posted:

Wait so I started the Moonshiner Role intro missions, did the supplies mission first, got disconnected and now I have to pay $250 to set up another camp? Will it resume if I do this?

That hasn't happened to me, but I read you can just change sessions and it'll hopefully reappear. It's kind of like the camp bug. No idea if that'll resolve it but it's worth a shot.

Speaking of bugs, I've had 2 annoying ones pop up since the update. When I zone in to an event, I can no longer dual wield. Apparently it has to do with your off hand holster getting unequipped. And since you're in an event, you can't change outfits to reequip it! Also the leather wrap on my shotgun keeps reverting to the default color whenever I log back in, which looks ugly with my color scheme. So I either have to keep the default color or spend $20 to keep changing it back. Damnit, Rockstar

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in the bar fight i dropped my pistol and someone stole it. And my rifle and shotgun are missing from my horse.

Aparently I had to just buy a new horse to get my weapons back.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 17, 2019

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Some of the outlaw pass stuff really confuses me.

It’s loaded me up on 50% off coupons for vests rank 15 and below...except stuff you’ve unlocked in shops doesn’t show its unlock rank any longer, and after going into every single vest to check, the multiple coupons I have only apply to one, dirt cheap and ugly rear end vest. What is the point??

It’s also throwing piles of free fast travel and mash resupply coupons, but you have no choice about using them. You HAVE to use them. Why on earth have they done it that way? I only just started moonshiners. I don’t even know how mash works yet and I can’t learn, because its making me use these free mash coupons. What a waste.

If you can wait, don’t unlock the outlaw pass until you’re well into moonshiners and trader.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hakarne posted:

Also the leather wrap on my shotgun keeps reverting to the default color whenever I log back in, which looks ugly with my color scheme. So I either have to keep the default color or spend $20 to keep changing it back. Damnit, Rockstar

Yeah, it keeps reverting immediately for me on the Bolt-Action. Shows up correctly in the Customize menu, though.

Also keep getting hit by the fun "Your posse has abandoned the mission" bug during bounties.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Also keep getting hit by the fun "Your posse has abandoned the mission" bug during bounties.
It’s happened to me when I’m in a posse by myself on a moonshine/trader delivery. Losing all that is maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It happens to me when I'm not even in a posse! I feel like I have to put the game down for now, due to this poo poo.