Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wait, what's Islington then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Wait, what's Islington then?

A mistake

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Vote movements between the 2017 and 2019 elections.

Because there are four major parties in Scotland and Wales, the data there is a bit trickier.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TinTower posted:

Because there are four major parties in Scotland and Wales, the data there is a bit trickier.
Not to mention NI.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think this qualifies as a good graph, but it takes a bit of an explanation. It's a sort of two-dimensional histogram, with color (from red through yellow to white) indicating the total count of each of ten thousand possibilities.

The dataset represented: people's 4-digit credit card PINs. The x-axis is the first two digits, from 00xx to 99xx, and the y-axis is the last two, from xx00 to xx99:

Once you get your head around it, it's easy to see all sorts of patterns that make sense, given a bit of thought about what people might tend to choose.

Credit for creation, and an interesting discussion of some of those patterns: https://www.datagenetics.com/blog/september32012/

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm guessing the vertical line is 19xx where people are putting their birthdates or whatever?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beartaco posted:

I'm guessing the vertical line is 19xx where people are putting their birthdates or whatever?

I'll bet, that's pretty funny. Also the little stubby line next to it for early 2000ers?
I'm what the broader line is around 10xx, it's too wide to just be one pair.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pretty fun that the two whitest points are 1111 and 1234!

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Beartaco posted:

Yup, and a little bit of 20xx. The faded bit near the top of column 19 is probably the transition between people using their own birth year and people using their kids'.

I'm the pitch black pixel around 8075ish. Anyone have a clue why nobody uses whatever that is? That will be my next PIN.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Adhemar posted:

I'm the pitch black pixel around 8075ish. Anyone have a clue why nobody uses whatever that is? That will be my next PIN.

They actually caution against that in the article because of the article itself causing the number to be promoted up attempts lists.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beartaco posted:

Yeah. And the hot box on the lower left is where people are encoding their birthdays in MMDD. Interestingly enough DDMM encoding is far less popular.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Dec 16, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wanna see the heatmap of PINs for people who have seen that heatmap of PINs

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Nice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powered Descent posted:

Credit for creation, and an interesting discussion of some of those patterns: https://www.datagenetics.com/blog/september32012/
heh, when the author digs into five digits:

quote:

All the usual suspects occur, but a new addition is the puerile addition in position #20 of the concatenation of 420 and 69.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

heh, when the author digs into five digits:

lmao

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's one of my favorite blogs, so make sure to check it out while you can, because the author has cancer and might not be doing updates for very long.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

frankenfreak posted:

Not to mention NI.

NI is easy because parties are in three camps, but there are only eighteen seats so you can't make too many conclusions.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah. And the hot box on the lower left is where people are encoding their birthdays in MMDD. Interestingly enough DDMM encoding is far less popular.

Im betting the data was pulled from the USA, since MMDDYYYY is the date format used there. Makes total sense that DDMM wouldn't be used, most people never use DDMM.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I was wondering what that one dot in the middle just off the diagonal meant, turns out 5150 means something to americans and/or Van Halen fans

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

1234! is way too many digits for a PIN, c’mon now.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

1234! is way too many digits for a PIN, c’mon now.

Yes, that's why I only use the last 4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Angepain posted:

Yes, that's why I only use the last 4

Really? I thought they wouldn't let you use the default

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://twitter.com/WardQNormal/status/1206280031552454656

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A few more from that thread:

https://twitter.com/WardQNormal/status/1206281164522049536
https://twitter.com/WardQNormal/status/1206292839253962752

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Honestly, my favorite part of it is the picture that they chose for ol' Ron. It's just so... aggressively jolly.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, my favorite part of it is the picture that they chose for ol' Ron. It's just so... aggressively jolly.

He's so pleased that he's hosed you, got his.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jay Rust posted:

That's the same as the combo on my luggage!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Pretty sure it's his official portrait from 1981.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I knew it was something official because I'd seen it before, but lmao that makes perfect sense etc

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I've seen less insightful political spectrum diagrams in my time, I'll say that much

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

It works if 0 is right after the E on "Don't impeach and remove"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This one is more on the funny side, I guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yule doesn't fit on the graph, it's awful :colbert:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Where does that German Christmas demon that beats naughty children with sticks fit?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Red Bones posted:

Where does that German Christmas demon that beats naughty children with sticks fit?
It's child abuse, bottom right.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Red Bones posted:

Smack in the middle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's child abuse, bottom right.

Surely he belongs beside Jesus, pro Christmas but against the greed and naughtiness that capitalism inspires in children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Surely he belongs beside Jesus, pro Christmas but against the greed and naughtiness that capitalism inspires in children
Christmas is his job, who the gently caress is pro their job?