Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please don't put lithium grease in your butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Finished it. I guess we're supposed to let everyone know.

I liked it fine,

not a lot seemed to happen on a grand scale, but I think that's the result of being in just two/three set locations all season. I don't know how I felt about the Bobby-joins-a-gang plot. It wasn't bad It just wasn't very interesting to me. Also can someone spoil the books for me -- is Miller gone for good?

This is a great universe of characters and plots so I'm glad it didn't go kaput on sci fi.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

It's used for batteries, ceramics, lubricants and other things.

7up originally had Lithium in it.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

tao of lmao posted:

Drummers gonna be real sad and angry when she hears about ashford.

My next season fantasy is an all-star killing team of Drummer, Amos, Bobbie, Fred, and Dawes hunting down Inaros in a wicked cool jury-rigged Belter gunship.

So did I miss something, or is an open question whether or not Amos actually beat Murtry to death? Or just beat him within an inch of his life? It does seem a little out of character that Amos would actually *kill* Murtry in a provoked situation when he's a captive.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

That bothered me a little bit too, but I think you just have to consider that there are still budgetary restrictions. I'd assume Ashford would go in with at least a dozen or two dozen armed guys. As a nerd too, it made me consider the actual tactics of space boarding. I'd be willing to bet boarding teams would also employ some level of armor and ballistic shields (kinda like SWAT team shields), along with grenades, smoke, gas, flashbangs, and strobe/laser blinders. Probably taser type weapons too if they're trying to capture vs kill a target. They could have punched up that scene quite a bit, but as it is, they gave us a really cool gritty intense zero-G firefight that was moderately convincing and served the purpose of the plot.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 17, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It gets mentioned in the books how insanely dangerous boarding actions are. In UN training sims, projections for the attackers' losses are around 60% at the low end.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Was it? I thought it was three teams of four -- when they show the dead soldier portraits at the memorial, there were 12 of them?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Was it? I thought it was three teams of four -- when they show the dead soldier portraits at the memorial, there were 12 of them?

He's talking about the other raid.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Supreme Allah posted:

Also can someone spoil the books for me -- is Miller gone for good?

Unless he somehow comes back in the final book, which I find unlikely, he is gone for good. I suppose they could also change things in the show, but that would be a dramatic departure to just not have someone stay dead.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A shame. I really enjoyed abstract Miller. :smith:

Cojawfee posted:

New thread title please.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMold posted:

Binged the whole S4; havent read the books. Thoughts on entire S4:

As happy as I am that the show got picked back up, it almost felt like their budget got cut pretty severely.

Lol what. If anything this season had money to burn.

Yes it's me, the world's only lecturer who not only has time to make one set of slides, but ten sets, project them on all corners of the room, and also mock up some three dimensional holograms to prove my point. For my class of eight students. Doing an Arts Degree. Yes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

Ashford was hunting marco like a shark, he only had the one ship with a small crew and that Martian merked one of his pipe hitters. Getting help is a weeks maybe months long process

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lol what. If anything this season had money to burn.

Yes it's me, the world's only lecturer who not only has time to make one set of slides, but ten sets, project them on all corners of the room, and also mock up some three dimensional holograms to prove my point. For my class of eight students. Doing an Arts Degree. Yes.

I can't be the only one who wanted to hear more of what he was saying rather than whatever Avasarala wanted to talk about at that moment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › The Expanse, Season 4: Lithium Lube For Amos' Moods

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pik_d posted:

Unless he somehow comes back in the final book, which I find unlikely, he is gone for good. I suppose they could also change things in the show, but that would be a dramatic departure to just not have someone stay dead.

Miller and all the other people the protomolecule ate were basically trapped in hell and Miller used his brief period of autonomy to free everyone from their life of eternal torture. he wanted to be and is dead.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

Miller and all the other people the protomolecule ate were basically trapped in hell and Miller used his brief period of autonomy to free everyone from their life of eternal torture. he wanted to be and is dead.

Yeah, I love Miller too but the character went out like a total baller flipping off his captors and him coming back now would just cheapen his sacrifice. Now whether the Investigator can come back, independent of Miller's template... (don't book-spoil me on this, I'd like there to be some mystery to look forward to)

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Overall I think this show turned book 4, which was slower and less interesting than the books before it into an above average season. I'm pleased with it and looking forward to season 5.

I've deliberately stayed one book ahead of the series, but now I'm burning through book 6 and enjoying it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I love when Amos was talking to Holdan after he talked to Avasarala like "what was she wearing :wiggle:"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So is amos the only positive depiction of a psychopath on TV?

I'm thinking of 'Dexter' but he was still a fetishistic murderer, Amos is genuinely a guy who acknowledges he has a mental problem preventing him from always differentiating between good and bad but he makes an active effort to do good by latching on to moral people.

I love Amos. And really it's kind of good to have a sorta positive role model for people with similar issues.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › The Expanse, Season 4: Lithium Lube For Amos' Moods

whats with the mood thing i keep seeing it, is it new, i want in on the ground floor for once

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Given all the poo poo they get into constantly, explain to me why the Roci doesn't take Bobbi on as a permanent heavy. Amos is not wholly invincible.

Also, Jesus Christ, why to UN marines not have power armor?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So is amos the only positive depiction of a psychopath on TV?

I'm thinking of 'Dexter' but he was still a fetishistic murderer, Amos is genuinely a guy who acknowledges he has a mental problem preventing him from always differentiating between good and bad but he makes an active effort to do good by latching on to moral people.

I love Amos. And really it's kind of good to have a sorta positive role model for people with similar issues.

Amos has too much empathy to be a psychopath. Not much, but still too much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

whats with the mood thing i keep seeing it, is it new, i want in on the ground floor for once

Kinda, but I was actually using it in the traditional sense. You're looking for this stuff: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mood

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Psychopath and sociopath get thrown around too casually, Amos character doesn't seem like either. Although he could benefit from psychotherapy but that's not being a psychopath.

The character (and I only know the TV version) comes off to me like someone with severe PTSD. He's detached as much as he can get away with, welcoming of outbursts, a whiff of melancholy/fatalism. He's been through a lot and finds your bullshit very boring.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Kinda, but I was actually using it in the traditional sense. You're looking for this stuff: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mood

2016? why do i keep hearing in like it was invented a month ago. A number of youtubers i've watched have started saying it.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Dreylad posted:

Yeah I remembered her from Altered Carbon and it's unfortunate that she hasn't gotten any better at acting.

This is from a few pages back but went past unanswered. Nancy Gao's actress was not in altered carbon - who do you have her confused with?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

2016? why do i keep hearing in like it was invented a month ago. A number of youtubers i've watched have started saying it.

mood

Some of the Sheep posted:

This is from a few pages back but went past unanswered. Nancy Gao's actress was not in altered carbon - who do you have her confused with?

Dichen Lachman, surely?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Amos isn't exactly a sociopath, he's just knows he's not good at making a 'moral' choice and so he lets Naomi or Holden make those choices. He's still has emotions and stuff, he's protective of people, he's just, really direct with a lot of stuff. Be that fuckin' or killin'.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Dichen Lachman, surely?
They don't even look alike. I don't even need to look up a picture to know that. Yet another case of goon face blindness.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

They don't even look alike. I don't even need to look up a picture to know that. Yet another case of goon face blindness.

Oh yeah, but I can't think of another prominent asian woman in the cast. Lachman's loving blonde ffs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh yeah, but I can't think of another prominent asian woman in the cast. Lachman's loving blonde ffs.

She's also not Chinese.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha I don't know how you could look at this person's face and mistake them for anyone else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

She's also not Chinese.

(Half?) Nepalese yeah? I remember when she was on Neighbours for a hot minute.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I, for one, have never mistaken one actor for another in my entire life and also find this to be completely ridiculous.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
However, I think there's something everyone was missing. Murtry's leg brace was glowing blue. What else glows blue? The protomolecule. :tinfoil:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

This is just good science consulting. In fusion reactors, a lot of the energy of the reaction is released as fast neutrons. These can't be used for electricity directly, but they can be absorbed and also catalyze the production of additional fusion fuel in a system called a neutron blanket. In theoretical fusion reactors, this neutron blanket surrounds the reactor, absorbing usable energy and breeding tritium fuel from fast neutrons. The neutron absorber material/breeder fuel is lithium. You'd need quite a bit for a reactor the size of the Rocinante's.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dichen Lachman, surely?

Goon face blindness continues.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know how you could mix them up. Dichen Lachman has a much more angular face.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think it was more their wooden delivery but yeah, my bad they look nothing alike. It's been a year or so since I watched Altered Carbon and I never bothered to check.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe we need to see Gao’s actress fighting naked for a few minutes to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Maybe we need to see Gao’s actress fighting naked for a few minutes to be sure.

Yes.