Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

scariest story I ever heard was on some random (now dead) woodworking podcast where they discussed some well known master craftsman who had to leave the entire industry because he developed an alergy to wood from insufficient PPE over the decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
First course of decking is done.

Got lucky, the triangular cutoffs will fit the corners of the second course almost perfectly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's worth noting that not all wood butchery produces sawdust. Some of it just makes wood chips, which are heavier and don't float around and get in your lungs so much. Also, if you are working outside in a light breeze, you may be carrying the dust away from your face enough that a mask isn't necessary. Still, it's a prudent precaution.

In my shop I have decent dust collection using a shop vac for the power tools, and I find the worst dusty operation is hand sanding. The finer the sandpaper, the worse the tiny particulates floating everywhere in the air for a long time can be.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Long time lurker to the thread dropping in to say let's goooo. I'm excited to see this decked, shingled, and supporting side balcony parties.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Stripped the clapboards off another few sides of the house.

Trimmed the rafters to length and installed the eaves.

Got the rest of the roof decking down. Used 10.5 sheets total, not sure what I'll do with the last half a sheet really.

:shepspends:
There goes another 300 dollars...

Then it snowed its dick off like an rear end in a top hat and iced everything so I had to use a shovel and the garden hose and hot water to clear that entire side of the roof so it would stop dripping on the decking long enough to dry off so I could put the rest of the ice and water shield on. Strong winter 2010-2011 vibes, except it's happening in November and December instead of January and February.

Then it was time to be a roofer again. I haven't missed this, but at least it's a mostly flat roof instead of 11:12 pitch give or take.

Today I spent replacing rotten sheathing and putting up housewrap. Didn't get as far as I wanted due to the snow making it hard to put ladders up, but it's going to rain like crazy tomorrow and Tuesday so hopefully Wednesday I can finish that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh and I scrapped my harbor freight paper cutter after roofing the bay window a year or two ago because I forgot I was going to need it again. They're awesome for roofing because they were dirt cheap (so you don't feel bad about abusing them by cutting gravel and fiberglass with them) and handled asphalt shingles like a champ, and they got discontinued a few years ago apparently. So I was forced to improvise. It turns out their long blade aviation snips (item 90718) cut gravel and fiberglass just as well as the paper cutter, are $5.99 so I still don't give a gently caress about abusing them, and are only slightly less convenient. So if you gotta do an asphalt shingle roof, hit the yard sales for a crappy guillotine paper cutter and harbor freight for a pair of long snips :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It almost looks like a porch again.

Made another big hole in the dining room floor.

Wait, what's that in the upper right?

Goddamn it.

This subflooring plank is rotten and it's under a weight bearing wall. Oh and the idiot who built this place didn't use a bottom plate in the wall.

And half the studs are rotten, split, cracking, or have been cut through for no reason and then had shims wedged into the cut.

And the subflooring planks are cracked and rotten in various places and almost none of the studs are over joists.

gently caress.

Oh and this wall? It's weight bearing because it's holding up the whole second floor I already remodeled...

gently caress this house. Ok here we go.

No turning back now.

Did I say no turning back? I really meant now, because the house is hovering... Again... :sigh:

New subflooring done.

The wedged-in scrap wood contraption holding it up

Built the section of new wall under it and put it back down. I'm only using 2x6s because it's a weight bearing wall and the 2x4s never really made me too happy structurally in the first place.

I worked on the truck yesterday so no progress since Friday, but expect more work today hopefully. Also it's windy as gently caress right now and I'm pretty sure flapping tyvek is the loudest noise known to man. It's actually keeping me from falling back to sleep.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You could have a show on one of the cable networks where you rebuild houses that clearly should be torn down. Alone.

It’d be like Survivorman, you’d do all your own camera work and be completely alone. Except no ones there to rescue you afternoon 3 days, you just endlessly toil on rotting wood for months on end while the footage is broadcast to a public that both feels shame for not having the same skills, but also delights in your suffering.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's the Truman Show, except that it's just him abandoned on an island of decrepit buildings, with nobody for company but the employees of the local Home Depot and Lowes.

I had to deal with some rotten gable rafters once. I put up some aluminum flashing temporarily to cover them and keep water from intruding, and the flashing tore loose in the wind during the night. That poo poo was loud. Not sure if it'd beat an entire Tyvek sheet flapping around though.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I would buy cable just watch this show.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Primitive technology, except the subtitles are just swearing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No joke, I recognize some of the local home Depot employees out of uniform now... And in their cars driving around town. It's weird.

I can't wait to build fresh and not have to deal with idiot mistakes made by some loving guy from Quebec in 1879 anymore. All of the mistakes on the next house will be mine and mine alone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

No joke, I recognize some of the local home Depot employees out of uniform now... And in their cars driving around town. It's weird.

I can't wait to build fresh and not have to deal with idiot mistakes made by some loving guy from Quebec in 1879 anymore. All of the mistakes on the next house will be mine and mine alone.

I just bought a house built in 2008 after having owned something from 1914 (that I miss desperately) and the difference is amazing. The new house is insanely simple compared to my old house, which was a massive pain to do anything to.

I think if I actually built something myself I’d go way way overboard and some future owner would be cursing my existence.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm living in a new house now after coming from a multiple PO built in 1930s house and it's almost weird not having to constantly do little fixes that end up taking 10x as long because of all the weird poo poo you uncover along the way.

Nothing on your level but hey.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm living in a new house now after coming from a multiple PO built in 1930s house and it's almost weird not having to constantly do little fixes that end up taking 10x as long because of all the weird poo poo you uncover along the way.

Nothing on your level but hey.
Yeah, new houses all you need to worry about is the shoddy work the contractors did.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

*clears throat* gently caress THIS HOUSE

Next section jacked up, mess removed

Subflooring installed

Staring at it and muttering trying to plan where the bottom plate is going now. The first section I screwed down at one end and got approximately lined up and tacked down with a nail, but now that I'm doing the second I really need to put down some layout lines and get both pieces in the right spot. I'd prefer to build the wall whole, stand it up and tack it down like one normally would, but I've got a drat house on top of me...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Finished the second section last night aside from the jackstuds.

Jackstuds done too now. The old header was a single horizontal 2x4 toenailed into the sides of the kingstuds. Wonder why the top plate had sagged 3/16" over the middle of the door opening?

New header is a triple 2x6 with half inch ply in between to bring it out to 5.5" thick.

Staring at the third section trying to decide how to attack it now. It's a complicated one because it's got a duct on one side and an HVAC unit on the other (kicking myself now...) And I have to replace 3 studs at once so I think I'm going to need multiple temporary supports.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Interesting. Where does the insulation go (if any)?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sometimes the groverhaus joke is just too easy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's an interior wall and both rooms are on the same heating zone so no need for insulation.

Load bearing drywall my rear end, this piece of poo poo house had load bearing AIR when I bought it :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Two stories of sawdust and rot held up by 100 years of paint.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Motronic posted:

Two stories of sawdust and rot held up by 100 years of paint.

New title spotted

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Motronic posted:

The House of Theseus: Two stories of sawdust and rot held up by 100 years of paint.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

It's an interior wall and both rooms are on the same heating zone so no need for insulation.

Load bearing drywall my rear end, this piece of poo poo house had load bearing AIR when I bought it :v:

Sorry, I meant the floor. Are floors that are the outside envelope not insulated? I've never actually built an entire house piece by piece before. (Yet.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't think I have any floors I'd consider outside the envelope - unless you mean the first floor over the basement. That floor will be insulated from below with fiberglass batting once everything else is done.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kastein posted:

...once everything else is done.

Sorry but I chuckled at this. No offense though, you’re badass and I’d buy this house knowing it is withstand anything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tomapot posted:

Sorry but I chuckled at this. No offense though, you’re badass and I’d buy this house knowing it is withstand anything.

Seriously. If I was in the market up there...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I mean, the gooney hacker den seems to be out of the picture right now...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean, the gooney hacker den seems to be out of the picture right now...

I mean my wife is a goon (or was years ago, hasn't signed in in forever) and is also an electrical engineer, so... There will still be a gooney hacker den but it will be in the shop in Washington instead of here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

kastein posted:

I mean my wife is a goon (or was years ago, hasn't signed in in forever) and is also an electrical engineer, so... There will still be a gooney hacker den but it will be in the shop in Washington instead of here.

oh, yeah that's what I meant. The MA home has gone to "get this poo poo done and gone"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How often does the sunk cost fallacy enter your mind with each new surprise you find?

Every time you find something even more terrible than before and has me like :tviv: and if it were me, I would probably burn it all down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, I'm running out of places to find hosed up problems. There aren't any more walls to find nightmares in, I've removed at least one side of every wall now and removed both sides of many of them.

If I could go back and do it again I'd call the asbestos abatement firm in fall 2010, tell them to clear the place out, then spend 14 grand putting the house in a dumpster and build a new one on a new foundation. I'd be done by now - years ago in fact - for about another 10-15k in costs and the house would be better. But it's too late now so I'm fixing what I can and that's going to have to be good enough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sorry, rereading that it sounded mean which wasn't what I intended. I guess it's easy to say in hindsight, same with the dumb bullshit I hate about my current house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I didn't really take it as mean, I say this to myself basically every time I find another nightmare. I should have seen this one when I stripped the kitchen in 2016ish, or the dining room last summer, but I didn't want to see it.

There legitimately aren't any other areas like that in the house at this point... Though I've been considering replacing the stairs wholesale instead of just the treads and risers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

Well, I'm running out of places to find hosed up problems. There aren't any more walls to find nightmares in, I've removed at least one side of every wall now and removed both sides of many of them.

If I could go back and do it again I'd call the asbestos abatement firm in fall 2010, tell them to clear the place out, spend 14 bucks dousing the house in gasoline and setting it on fire, then build a new one on a new foundation. I'd be done by now - years ago in fact - for about another 10-15k in costs and the house would be better. But it's too late now so I'm fixing what I can and that's going to have to be good enough.

ftfy

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It was nowhere near insurable in that condition so no...

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Speaking of hidden horrors, I remember you posting videos of trying to demo portions of the house and in the first minutes you'd curse as ants poured forth. It was magical because you'd have just spent days killing the last batch of them you found.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I actually just found more damage from them a few days ago, but it was old damage I had not repaired yet from that second, largest nest I found, and replacing a small piece of sheathing fixed it.

I'm tempted to build the next place entirely from treated lumber.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I actually just found more damage from them a few days ago, but it was old damage I had not repaired yet from that second, largest nest I found, and replacing a small piece of sheathing fixed it.

I'm tempted to build the next place entirely from treated lumber.

Not ICF walls and poured concrete floors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not ICF walls and poured concrete floors?

This. I hate that building houses out of kindling is still the way to do it.