Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MizPiz posted:

I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I can't help but wonder how it'd be received if it came out today. While a lot of the jokes are quite obviously problematic in today's climate (e.g. a surprising amount of blackface), it does hit enough lib buttons that it would have it's defenders.

I know 30 Rock probably isn’t sufficiently Marxist for C-SPAM, but it’s worth something that it has jokes and is funny and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the update General Dog

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1206422904717676546?s=20

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love expansive worlds

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

did anyone in watchmen have an actual goal or was everybody just so hell bent on gaining godly powers they didnt even stop to ask why they wanted them

The show really face planted at the end there, but I found that particular aspect of it pretty true to life. It’s Lady Trieu’s turn!

Serf
May 5, 2011

after the way dc hosed over moore and gibbons, why would any creative ever work with the ip again? i mean, leaving aside the issue that its disrespectful to the people who came before you and got stomped on by the corporate boot, it means working with a company who is totally willing to kick you in the taint just like they did to moore and gibbons

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love it when people write powerful and affecting fiction and then geniuses like JJ Abrams and Damian Lindoff can expand that "world" by blasting it full of nasty farts.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Serf posted:

i liked that the shithead don johnson character quotes loving hamilton but is later (earlier chronologically) seen saying some racist poo poo

it was something like “We immigrants get it done! It’s from Hamilton! I saw it twice!” Then later he’s going on about how America is for Americans and trump has some good points about immigration.

Also no one in the loving family can ever remember where Marta’s family comes from.

Or the bit at the end where Ransom is ranting about how Marta getting the house isnt right because it’s the family legacy and the detective is like “uh, no it’s not. Harlan bought it in the 80s from a Pakistani millionaire.”

On top of the great Agatha Christie style light drama whodunit it’s also a hilarious send up of haute bourgeois npr liberals who think they’re cultured because they consume the right media and own the right things coming face to face with a future that can’t or won’t sustain the illusion anymore.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Serf posted:

after the way dc hosed over moore and gibbons, why would any creative ever work with the ip again? i mean, leaving aside the issue that its disrespectful to the people who came before you and got stomped on by the corporate boot, it means working with a company who is totally willing to kick you in the taint just like they did to moore and gibbons

Chase that check

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t think the new thing needs to treat the source material as a sacred text, it just needs to be good. Unfortunately everything just turns out bad regardless.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Chase that check

i would accept this if lindelof was some starving artist, but he ain't. he could've gone anywhere and done anything after the leftovers. he deliberately chose watchmen

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serf posted:

Superhero comic book culture is evil and people get mad that Moore wants to be "selfish" with his creation, which is in their eyes is an "expansive world" where many "stories" can be told. Many of them think actually having a corporation own your work is what enables the deranged endless continuity they all worship. They rally around their employers anytime Moore is quoted as implying they are bootlickers because super heroes are their belief system.

Serf
May 5, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Superhero comic book culture is evil and people get mad that Moore wants to be "selfish" with his creation, which is in their eyes is an "expansive world" where many "stories" can be told. Many of them think actually having a corporation own your work is what enables the deranged endless continuity they all worship. They rally around their employers anytime Moore is quoted as implying they are bootlickers because super heroes are their belief system.

its so funny when people say that moore is selfish, because i think all he and dave gibbons wanted was the rights so that they could get the sales from reprints. which would no doubt be lucrative but they agreed to no merchandise and no optioning the rights. dude gave away his cut of the movie licensing cash. for them it was about owning their work so that no one could go and do what is being done to it right now. dc and the bootlickers are such loving clowns

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny seeing the bad TV show guy advocate for turning tv and film into the creative ghetto of shared universe poo poo that the SH comics market is though.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
remembering how Marvel comics torched the X-Men IP for a few years and impotently tried to make the Inhumans a thing just because Disney didn’t have the movie rights

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

remembering how Marvel comics torched the X-Men IP for a few years and impotently tried to make the Inhumans a thing just because Disney didn’t have the movie rights

They literally had the inhumans "accidentally" gas all the mutants to death

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
It’s loving stupid and even from a business standpoint. People aren’t going to stop seeing the Fox X-Men films just because the comics aren’t available, heck the movies have always been sales boosters for the comics anyway. It’s a business decision absolutely at odds with the history of the company.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You guys got owned by another terrible "remember alan moore" product made by the #1 stupidest TV and movie guy of all time, Damian Lindoff.

I was surprised how much pushback I got in another thread when I said Lindelof was a terrible writer

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

I was surprised how much pushback I got in another thread when I said Lindelof was a terrible writer

Dude has a drat successful resume. One to be jealous of. Which hit films / TV series did you make by the way?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Dude has a drat successful resume. One to be jealous of. Which hit films / TV series did you make by the way?

I made Twin Peaks. That’s right, bitch. I’m Stephen Steelbarg

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wrote and directed citizen kane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah i'm yahoo serious irl

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Perfect Strangers

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

nash bridges, crossing jordan, lost, star trek movie, cowboys & aliens, prometheus
wow it's all poo poo (maybe prometheus is ok)

the leftovers was very good, but considering what the rest of his resume looks like I'm gonna say it's cause of his co-writer

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It’s loving stupid and even from a business standpoint. People aren’t going to stop seeing the Fox X-Men films just because the comics aren’t available, heck the movies have always been sales boosters for the comics anyway. It’s a business decision absolutely at odds with the history of the company.

written serial comics get up to the dumbest poo poo anyway because they don't have to pass the same mustard for quality control that a billion dollar movie does

what if jubilee from the x-men became a vampire? not for any good reason, just to loving mix poo poo up i guess.
what if spider-man's power set was actually a gift from a magical spider spirit and also there were other spirits that hated the spider spirit and wanted to eat spider-man and then spider-man got retractable bone knives like wolverine?
what if batman became the joker and killed all the other superheroes and then he kept vampire children on leashes and made a legion of doom out of other alternate dimension batmans who were also evil for contrived reasons?

that's not even one-off style comics where they write a self-contained story about something dumb, those are events that transpired in the main comic continuity. i'd be fine with the movies getting to exert stronger quality control over the written comics because they are full of really dumb poo poo

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

written serial comics get up to the dumbest poo poo anyway because they don't have to pass the same mustard for quality control that a billion dollar movie does

what if jubilee from the x-men became a vampire? not for any good reason, just to loving mix poo poo up i guess.
what if spider-man's power set was actually a gift from a magical spider spirit and also there were other spirits that hated the spider spirit and wanted to eat spider-man and then spider-man got retractable bone knives like wolverine?
what if batman became the joker and killed all the other superheroes and then he kept vampire children on leashes and made a legion of doom out of other alternate dimension batmans who were also evil for contrived reasons?

that's not even one-off style comics where they write a self-contained story about something dumb, those are events that transpired in the main comic continuity. i'd be fine with the movies getting to exert stronger quality control over the written comics because they are full of really dumb poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AnimeIsTrash posted:

6 episodes in and Mandalorian is still a show about nothing. :thumbsup:

I'm fine with this tbh. It's a weird shift getting used to a show that isn't constantly building to the next thing again after a decade of that model being shoved down my throat but also like

I enjoy that it's just a show about boba Fett and baby Yoda having adventures and there's no mystery that anyone is trying to solve

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Serf posted:

There's no expectation of owning it now at least, like you go into it knowing it's a work for hire deal

The Moore/gibbons deal was that they would get it back when it left print and that was 30 years ago and it's never left print because of the rise of trade paperbacks and they got absolutely hosed because of things they could not foresee

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Jeep posted:

nash bridges, crossing jordan, lost, star trek movie, cowboys & aliens, prometheus
wow it's all poo poo (maybe prometheus is ok)

the leftovers was very good, but considering what the rest of his resume looks like I'm gonna say it's cause of his co-writer

Crossing Jordan was good

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Evil joker Batman is explicitly Batman from another dimension though like come on the whole point of dark nights is that it's evil batmen from dimensions where Batman just lost his goddamn poo poo for varying reasons also the genderswapped what if Batman was Aquaman one whipped scrote

Also what if Spiderman was magic is legit one of the best ideas thats been brought to that table in decades and it was a ton of fun and I hate them for ignoring it considering that it gave us the comic book event that gave us the best superhero movie since blade

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm fine with this tbh. It's a weird shift getting used to a show that isn't constantly building to the next thing again after a decade of that model being shoved down my throat but also like

I enjoy that it's just a show about boba Fett and baby Yoda having adventures and there's no mystery that anyone is trying to solve

it's super old school serialized poo poo and it loving owns

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

that how the grinch stole christmas movie with jim carrey is so goddamn long like why is this movie this long goddamn

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

leftovers was amazing but im not watching more superhero poo poo

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

its the best star wars property including the originals

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

that how the grinch stole christmas movie with jim carrey is so goddamn long like why is this movie this long goddamn

remember when american distributors said they had to chop up foreign films for the american market because americans wont watch long movies

admittedly an improvement over their more recent trend of refusing to distribute foreign movies at all because they decided americans hate subtitles

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

i think the hard truth of it is that its hard to build charismatic... characters out of a dude whose face you cant see and barely speaks and a baby. i still like it for what it is though, a serial western.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MizPiz posted:

I've been rewatching 30 Rock and I can't help but wonder how it'd be received if it came out today. While a lot of the jokes are quite obviously problematic in today's climate (e.g. a surprising amount of blackface), it does hit enough lib buttons that it would have it's defenders.

I think it’d probably be fine, but it would be an entirely different show - a lot of the humor was highly topical, and while it did an amazing job skewering upper class lib cultural/lifestyle pretensions it’s commentary on (then) current political events and figures tended to be among its weakest material

blackface wasn’t more culturally accepted during that time period, 30 Rock largely escaped controversy about it and other “problematic” material because it was always *extremely* self-aware of the cultural/historical context and the butt of the joke was always the ignorance and self-absorption of specific characters (and it’s generally also a commentary about the aforementioned cultural/historic context)

also, as general dog pointed out, the jokes were generally funny

I think as a show it’ll have some difficulty standing the test of time, but that’s more due to the afforementioned topicality than because future audiences would be outraged by, say, the scene where Jack does voices for all of Tracy’s family during therapy

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the leftovers also let lindelof just write sappy character drama and let the big mythos mystery take a backseat unlike with lost towards the end when they had to figure out how to wrap poo poo up or i imagine with the watchmen (i didn't bother watching)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LGD posted:

I think it’d probably be fine, but it would be an entirely different show - a lot of the humor was highly topical, and while it did an amazing job skewering upper class lib cultural/lifestyle pretensions it’s commentary on (then) current political events and figures tended to be among its weakest material

blackface wasn’t more culturally accepted during that time period, 30 Rock largely escaped controversy about it and other “problematic” material because it was always *extremely* self-aware of the cultural/historical context and the butt of the joke was always the ignorance and self-absorption of specific characters (and it’s generally also a commentary about the aforementioned cultural/historic context)

also, as general dog pointed out, the jokes were generally funny

I think as a show it’ll have some difficulty standing the test of time, but that’s more due to the afforementioned topicality than because future audiences would be outraged by, say, the scene where Jack does voices for all of Tracy’s family during therapy

the only part of that show i ever saw was alex baldwin demanding they pretape coverage for disasters and they're brainstorming things that could happen and someone says "a tornado hits a handgun factory"

and five minutes later you cut to deniro saying we all remember where we were when that tornado hit the handgun factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
My comment was more of a "libs would cancel the show every week if it was produced today" take. It's just a great contrast to the hypersensitivity to negativity that characterizes the overtly liberal shows airing today, especially since there are a few jokes that were :chloe: when it first aired.