Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“My sons all killed each other and the remaining ones are probably gonna kill me. God I hate my family.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Varis zos Galvus probably ranks pretty high as a bad dad.

Laguna would probably have been pretty good dad if anybody told him he has a son. I blame Adel for wrecking international communications.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cid Orlandeau was such a good dad that his stepson changed history to portray him as an immortal Thunder God with every knight ability and also he's super cool and kills everything in one shot and

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Elentor posted:

The unsung hero is whoever Mulan'd Faris so well that she managed to fool everyone for years and rise up all the way to the top of the food chain.

The real question is: Is Ashley Riot, from FFT Super Advance: VS, the best family man or the worst?

I was always under the impression that the pirates all know that Faris is a woman and don't really give a poo poo; they just keep up appearances because it's less awkward for everyone involved and Faris prefers to dress like that anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

A decade ago a bunch of Final Fantasy nerds made a podcast set in pre-crisis core and their Hojo is such a sad sack goon who just wants to be acknowledged as a dad I have forever mentally made it head canon from the awkward Hojo VA alone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Saint Freak posted:

Cid Orlandeau was such a good dad that his stepson changed history to portray him as an immortal Thunder God with every knight ability and also he's super cool and kills everything in one shot and

He also likely died in captivity, but his stepson changed the story so that he also died a hero, savior of the world.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Sazh is a good papa

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

The best dad is the emperor from FFXII, that casually explains how his sons all killed each other or something.

the warhammer 40k school of parenting

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sazh is a good papa

This is true but his dumbest worst line is "Every father cares."

Like dude what?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
One of the people Sazh raised became some kind of time-travelling stripper so I don't know how to score that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Barudak posted:

The turn happens 90% of the way through the game. If it had happened 15 hours earlier and the combat system less awful Id have been on board way more

Please spoil this mysterious turn for me: I gave up on that game long before encountering it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://gematsu.com/2019/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-sephiroth-shinra-aerith-abilities-shiva-summon-more-tifa-and-sephiroth-visuals

New info

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cattail Prophet posted:

I was always under the impression that the pirates all know that Faris is a woman and don't really give a poo poo; they just keep up appearances because it's less awkward for everyone involved and Faris prefers to dress like that anyway.

So it's Mulan, but the live action movie.

SeanBeansShako posted:

A decade ago a bunch of Final Fantasy nerds made a podcast set in pre-crisis core and their Hojo is such a sad sack goon who just wants to be acknowledged as a dad I have forever mentally made it head canon from the awkward Hojo VA alone.

I think Hojo just really wanted to see the world burn.

Hojo is an incredible, bizarre character.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

So it's Mulan, but the live action movie.

I think Hojo just really wanted to see the world burn.

Hojo is an incredible, bizarre character.

hojo seems to have been drawn to science because he had a desire to see bizarre and insane poo poo happen, without caring even slightly whether it would be beneficial or destructive. His whole personality is a distilled and purified form of the tiny little part of a person that kind of wants to see a supervolcano erupt or a giant asteroid hit the planet just because, gently caress, how crazy would that be?

so when he's given the opportunity to help his son eat the whole planet he's obviously completely onboard, even if he's on the planet and is 100% going to die, because man that poo poo would be nuts.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If you want to science the hardest you've got to break a few planets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hojo is typical mad-scientist stuff in that he's a representation of unchecked human ingenuity, it's just that he's also a mad scientist working for a worldwide energy corporation in an environmentalist story so he's by default the nastiest sumbitch in the world

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Let me tell you my theory about how Hojo is the originator of the Miqo'te race in the FFXIV

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Hojo sees a beach, he sees it as opportunity for leisure time.

He doesn't care that an alien monster disguised as his son walked out of it holding tickets for a theme park.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
When Hojo has access to the last members of two respective species, his first instinct is to make them gently caress each other.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

If you want to science the hardest you've got to break a few planets.

Ah, Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hojo is the kind of man who's closet is nothing but scientist coats and nothing else. If the remake ever gets to Del Sol and he's not wearing at least a coat on the beach!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Nobody's gonna acknowledge this huh?

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Clarste posted:

Please spoil this mysterious turn for me: I gave up on that game long before encountering it.

Might be errors, but what I remember is basically that...

Lann and Reynn are assholes in ways not obvious through most of the game and everything they love is dead because of them. At the end they kill their parents' ghosts and beat up Brandelis, who is a dragon/man/monster/cyborg that is part of a group of beings that go around eating planets. The siblings banish themselves with Brandelis to hell or wherever in order to protect everyone else. You then get to do the post game playing as mirage versions of Lann and Reynn.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

If Roche isn’t on screen, all the other characters should be asking “where’s Roche?”.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 17, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Roche just drives into the middle of each important character moment and just revs his bike and mugs for the camera in the background.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Everything looks pretty, everyone is entranced by the graphics, Aertish wearing a staff and using magic wand powers for auto-attack is a crime because there was nothing more satisfying than hearing the steel rod making a CLUNK sound on critting upon someone's head. I'll never get over how, since AC, Sephiroth has stupid snake eyes, I like President Shinra, I like his purple suit, I didn't care much for Zell in FF8 and I still don't care for him now. Heidegger looks like an even more evil Arcturus Mengsk and that's great, I think he's the FF7 character that was worst represented by the in-game graphics.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Show us Mayor Domino you cowards

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

" “Lustrous Shield” allows Aerith to summon a magical barrier, which will keep enemies at bay and block projectiles. What’s more, any attackers who come into contact with the shield will take damage. "

THEY GAVE AERITH AEGIS REFLECTOR

Best Girl gets stronger every day

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Elentor posted:

Everything looks pretty, everyone is entranced by the graphics, Aertish wearing a staff and using magic wand powers for auto-attack is a crime because there was nothing more satisfying than hearing the steel rod making a CLUNK sound on critting upon someone's head. I'll never get over how, since AC, Sephiroth has stupid snake eyes, I like President Shinra, I like his purple suit, I didn't care much for Zell in FF8 and I still don't care for him now. Heidegger looks like an even more evil Arcturus Mengsk and that's great, I think he's the FF7 character that was worst represented by the in-game graphics.

Sephiroth's had the slit pupils going on right from the original game, though, it's not something that they added for AC.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah Jecht is an arsehole in the typical sense of not knowing what he was doing and being wholly unprepared for fatherhood and how to build a proper relationship with Tidus.

In contrast, Hojo.

Special mention for not an arsehole dad should also go to Bartholomew Estheim, since Hope clearly has some baggage with the dude but when you meet him he's supportive as gently caress of Hope and crew. Good dad.

The way I understand it IF YOU READ THE DATALOGS or something, Hope's dad was kinda whaever about his wife and son being sent to be killed by turtle elephants. I don't remember all the details of what I was told but there is some reason for Hope being mad at his dad. It's just never properly conveyed in the game because it's loving FFXIII.

Same thing for Lightning asking that door to open. Never explained in the game.

Speaking of which, happy ten year anniversary FFXIII. It was a not very good game but not a very bad game, either. It's got good points and bad points. I will not be replaying it for the anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUy04FWIMkE

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Clarste posted:

Literally Everything is the twin's fault because they were cocky assholes. The bad guys? Released by them 100 years ago because they fell for a 'open the gate and get one (1) wish' scam. The Demon Dyad? They gathered a ton of powerful Mirages and didn't bother to actually train them, so all the Mirages just strolled around and caused havoc, causing the name to get applied to them between then and when the game starts. The girl locked in a crystal you occasionally see? Their adopted sister, who got sealed by them when she tried to stop them from summoning the Big Bad. Every single thing in the game can be traced back to them being little shits.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Literally Everything is the twin's fault because they were cocky assholes. The bad guys? Released by them 100 years ago because they fell for a 'open the gate and get one (1) wish' scam. The Demon Dyad? They gathered a ton of powerful Mirages and didn't bother to actually train them, so all the Mirages just strolled around and caused havoc, causing the name to get applied to them between then and when the game starts. The girl locked in a crystal you occasionally see? Their adopted sister, who got sealed by them when she tried to stop them from summoning the Big Bad. Every single thing in the game can be traced back to them being little shits.

it turns out that giving kids immeasurable power is not the best idea. personally I blame the parents. most of the logs imply they only really get into trouble because of how neglected they are and how their parents don't tell them anything important

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

" “Lustrous Shield” allows Aerith to summon a magical barrier, which will keep enemies at bay and block projectiles. What’s more, any attackers who come into contact with the shield will take damage. "

THEY GAVE AERITH AEGIS REFLECTOR

Best Girl gets stronger every day

Too bad its Aeris in FFVII

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taichara posted:

Sephiroth's had the slit pupils going on right from the original game, though, it's not something that they added for AC.

You're absolutely right.

God I really think Sephiroth sticks out like a sore thumb but alas.

bentacos posted:

Show us Mayor Domino you cowards

I wish we had some more Mayor Domino time.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 17, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Domino is the mayor of a city that looks like a pizza.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Looking forward to naming Aeris/th the opposite of whatever the default is and then defending that decision 20 years later on the internet.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

Looking forward to naming Aeris/th the opposite of whatever the default is and then defending that decision 20 years later on the internet.

That's cute that you think you'll get to rename anyone in a modern game with voice acting.

Everyone in-game is referred to as "Ex-SOLIDER," "Flower girl," "Star Player of the Midgar Abes," etc.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

That's cute that you think you'll get to rename anyone in a modern game with voice acting.

Everyone in-game is referred to as "Ex-SOLIDER," "Flower girl," "Star Player of the Midgar Abes," etc.

It's kind of amazing, in retrospect, that they wrote the whole script of FFX to never have to refer to Tidus by name

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like to imagine someday super vocaloid tech using deep neural networks doing sound synthesis will let you name your characters anything you want and you'll hear the VAs saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Elentor posted:

I like to imagine someday super vocaloid tech using deep neural networks doing sound synthesis will let you name your characters anything you want and you'll hear the VAs saying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmBzBqgwyM&t=1m53s