Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Hot dog chat!

When I started experimenting with eating a more vegetarian diet, I got some smartdogs or whatever they're called and they were pretty decent in taste and texture. However, I also learned that you do not, under any circumstances, deviate from the microwave directions. Meat dogs are much more versatile and forgiving than unmeat dogs.

My sister has on several occasions served boiled hot dogs at family gatherings, even though her husband and our brother were grilling meat at the time. As in the grill was hot, being attended to and had room on it, but she'd rather boil them instead. I still don't loving understand that mindset.

I've eaten more than one pity hot dog while bitterly thinking about how much more delicious it would've been on the GODDAMN GRILL.

IT WAS THE 4TH OF JULY, MEGAN. JUST loving PUT IT ON THE GRILL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

empty sea posted:

Hot dog chat!

When I started experimenting with eating a more vegetarian diet, I got some smartdogs or whatever they're called and they were pretty decent in taste and texture. However, I also learned that you do not, under any circumstances, deviate from the microwave directions. Meat dogs are much more versatile and forgiving than unmeat dogs.

My sister has on several occasions served boiled hot dogs at family gatherings, even though her husband and our brother were grilling meat at the time. As in the grill was hot, being attended to and had room on it, but she'd rather boil them instead. I still don't loving understand that mindset.

I've eaten more than one pity hot dog while bitterly thinking about how much more delicious it would've been on the GODDAMN GRILL.

Back in I want to say 2001, I went to a guy I knew's barbeque in downtown Seattle. His girlfriend had invited a couple vegetarians, so they had a pack of vegetarian hot dogs. So there we are on the sidewalk, grilling hot dogs. Normal hot dogs grill just fine, you know when they're done, the vegetarian ones, they just sorta started blistering. It wasn't like a good char blister like you get on a meat hot dog, it's was just a sort of bubble that was forming on the outside, which quickly went away when taken off the heat.

We assumed they were done at that point, thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, gently caress you guys, now I really want a goddamned hot dog

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zedprime posted:

Heated in a pan/hot pressed and you are nearly to tortilla chips and is a common snack for myself because store bought packages usually come with 500% more than I need for tacos or whatever.

If you're really subsisting on them then go the full distance and fry them in a pan with a bit of cheap cooking fat like lard. Helps to start with a brand that tastes like something to begin with, but that's gonna be the sort you get cheap from the bodega anyway.

I haven't done it for a long while, but generally the idea was wanting something cheap with no preparation involved to shove into my mouth like an animal.

It's not bad to have a nice humid tortilla, but it's real close to just taking a spoon to a bag of flour.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Also, gently caress you guys, now I really want a goddamned hot dog

A hot dog isn't something you want, it's something you eat when it's free or options are hella limited.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mymla posted:

A hot dog isn't something you want, it's something you eat when it's free or options are hella limited.

Madness

I absolutely want a hot dog right now

gently caress it I want a whole-rear end garbage plate

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

empty sea posted:

Even if the grill's not up, toss it on the frying pan, at the very least.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Y'all, sorry, but there are real reasons to boil (or par-boil) sausages sometimes -- like keeping the fat inside the link, or nicely melting cheese bits, or maintaining the snap of the casing. In fact, my favorite hot dog -- Hebrew Nationals -- taste much better par-boiled than fried. I go either way depending on how I feel.

Signed, someone who probably eats way too much mettwurst.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
You can replicate boiled hot dogs in the microwave by putting them in a bowl of water and microwaving that.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
another acceptable way of cooking a hot dog is to have costco do it for you and then dump a ton of onions and relish on it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not gonna front, I get a craving for chili dogs a few times a year, with cheese and possibly cole slaw

do not @me

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress it I want a whole-rear end garbage plate

poo poo, me too.

Only reason I miss Rochester.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Randaconda posted:

I'm not gonna front, I get a craving for chili dogs a few times a year, with cheese and possibly cole slaw

do not @me

Nah, I could go for that myself. Maybe I’ll hit up the local hotdog joint later this week.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

poo poo, me too.

Only reason I miss Rochester.
It’s chilly right now but the plates are hot. Come see the Genny keg tree!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6d9ewqI70k

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

It’s chilly right now but the plates are hot. Come see the Genny keg tree!

Great, now I want soft pretzels and a pint at Genny Brewhouse...

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Great, now I want soft pretzels and a pint at Genny Brewhouse...
This is right and good.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

When my Grandpa passed away we all tried to choke down Genny Cream Ale in his honor at his memorial.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Guys
Guys
A cold hotdog right out of the fridge

Right?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Guys
Guys

Right?

Wrong

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Guys
Guys

Right?

What, like, without a pint of the hotdog water on the side? Gross.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

rodbeard posted:

When my Grandpa passed away we all tried to choke down Genny Cream Ale in his honor at his memorial.

Genny cream ale is like, one odd three most drinkable beers ever, I would've slammed a 24 rack in your granddad's honor before thre ceremony even started.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Guys
Guys

Right?

I've done it before and I'll do it again

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Apparently, when I was enough of a child to spend good amounts of time nude besides a plastic bucket, "cold cooked hot dogs" was my snack of choice. I would run outside chomping on my hot dog as my mom shouted that I had to put on underwear, at least, if I were going to play outside.

But no.

I was free doggin

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Apparently, when I was enough of a child to spend good amounts of time nude besides a plastic bucket, "cold cooked hot dogs" was my snack of choice. I would run outside chomping on my hot dog as my mom shouted that I had to put on underwear, at least, if I were going to play outside.

But no.

I was free doggin

This was last week wasn't it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

This was last week wasn't it?

Change "mom" to "wife" and you're close

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can remember, clear as day, getting ready for kindergarten, and my brother, who was barely two, streaking through the living room buck naked, with my harried looking mother chasing after him, yelling "YOU ARE GOING TO GET DRESSED, WE ARE NOT WHITE TRASH!!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I can remember, clear as day, getting ready for kindergarten, and my brother, who was barely two, streaking through the living room buck naked, with my harried looking mother chasing after him, yelling "YOU ARE GOING TO GET DRESSED, WE ARE NOT WHITE TRASH!!"

When you came out as a Jaguars fan to her, was she upset that you went against her wishes?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

When you came out as a Jaguars fan to her, was she upset that you went against her wishes?

Family dinners are still tense, tbh

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well you just be true to yourself and shine bright you beautiful diamond!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Keep going I'm almost in ketosis

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Guys
Guys

Right?

Disgusting. But I can't really judge, I will eat cold bologna right out of the fridge.

And cold country ham is loving fantastic.

e: God, I want to buy one of those giant country hams but there's no way even my fatass could plow through it before I got sick of it

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

empty sea posted:

One of my favorite ways to cook hot dogs or sausages is boiling them in a foil pan on a super hot grill then throwing them on the grill to finish after they plump. Keeps them from burning, cooks them fast and gives them the grill flavor.

No one was stopping you from grilling the boiled hot dogs. Except you.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Being that I know you live in close proximity to me, this exchange made me :laffo:, especially with the proliferation of Whiskey Tangos in your area.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

some pizza south beef

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

Being that I know you live in close proximity to me, this exchange made me :laffo:, especially with the proliferation of Whiskey Tangos in your area.

Bradford County is the cultural center of the state :colbert:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Bradford County is the cultural center of the state :colbert:

Clearly. Just ask the deputies on LivePD.

btw: are we gonna see you on there one day?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Trying not to be white trash in Florida lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Trying not to be white trash in Florida lol

Give up, give in, let the drinking begin