Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've played hundreds of hours of Witcher 3 and yet somehow always managed to miss this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61tUDCItXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I've played hundreds of hours of Witcher 3 and yet somehow always managed to miss this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61tUDCItXo

yeah, it doesn't pop up unless you're running around the sewers in novigrad

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

I watched Ponyo Near the Cliff and I'm not sure what I expected but it didn't match it and I didn't like it as much as I wanted.

That's one of the Ghibli films I haven't seen yet but got the DVD from a friend. There's a reason I've never gone out of my way to see it (that reason is it doesn't sound particularly great).

When I've watched the four movies I got from him this time around, there'll only be six Ghibli movies I won't have seen. Lupin III, Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart, Yamadas, Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill.

I'm proud to say I saw Boro The Caterpillar at the Ghibli museum, even if it wasn't one of Miyazaki's best

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I have like 30 different theatre monologues that I love the poo poo out of but I ain't gonna share them because people are mean to theatre nerds and shove their heads in the toilet and I don't want that to happen to me

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

I have like 30 different theatre monologues that I love the poo poo out of but I ain't gonna share them because people are mean to theatre nerds and shove their heads in the toilet and I don't want that to happen to me
gently caress 'em post 'em

Good monologues are awesome no matter where they are

They're even good in text form!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NienNunb posted:

I had Tazmania when I was a kid, it was good. Not Tiny Toons for the SNES good but still good

i had tiny toons for the snes and i remember that a game genie was required to beat the game not because it was so hard but because there was an error in programming that just did not generate the final level after finishing the second to final level. you'd beat the second to last level and the game just stopped. this was released at retail for $69.95 USD.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Here's my audition monologue, Falstaff is legit the best character ever written. Orson Welles agrees with me

https://youtu.be/znvZ2WAa3OI

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My english/drama teacher loved me in high school and picked me to give the last class monologue before we graduated, and I picked Prospero's big climactic monologue from The Tempest because I was pretentious and it felt appropriate, but I was going through some poo poo and forgot all of my lines and it was terrible and I still occasionally think about it and get really mad at 16 year-old CarlCX for loving it up.

Monologues are the devil, is the point.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah those are made by and for people who think they are much better than everyone else. no exceptions. very entertaining

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably the most enjoyable thing on earth. it's genius when I think about it. i feel inadequate

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So are there really people out there who don't spend every moment of every day feeling miserable and having every little thing set them off into a cascading sense of even more miserableness until it's the end of the day and they're crying themselves to sleep? And if there are and they're posting in this thread how can I stop feeling this way?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

So are there really people out there who don't spend every moment of every day feeling miserable and having every little thing set them off into a cascading sense of even more miserableness until it's the end of the day and they're crying themselves to sleep? And if there are and they're posting in this thread how can I stop feeling this way?

I have benefited significantly from the decision I made a few years ago to :therapy: . It may well help you too! In any event I hope your brain starts treating you better :sympathy:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I thought of something to say, unrelated to any of the last 800 posts. I'm not going to say it though. This one is for my mind only.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dimebags Brain posted:

i dont think about anything ever except whats directly in front of my eyes and it works wonders

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

however ive been saying unsucked gems instead of uncut gems, the suck me brothers instead of the safdie brothers, and assorted things like that for the past 4 hours or so. ymmv

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
these are my personal tips for dealing with sad mental problems:

1. smoke a lot of weed. unless it makes your brain worse. it makes mine a lot better.

2. avoid doing things you don't like to do. if there's something i don't want to do, i ignore it. this has served me well in life.

3. find something you love and care about more than yourself. this can be a pet, or a romantic partner, a hobby, a job, or a cult. it can be anything, as long as it's more important to you than you are.

4. talk to a person who specializes in brain problems. if the first one you talk to sucks, find another one until you find one that's good.

it's also good to make friends, but i'm not good at that. ask Rarity about how i have no friends.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Drew McIntyre posted:

these are my personal tips for dealing with sad mental problems:

1. smoke a lot of weed. unless it makes your brain worse. it makes mine a lot better.

2. avoid doing things you don't like to do. if there's something i don't want to do, i ignore it. this has served me well in life.

3. find something you love and care about more than yourself. this can be a pet, or a romantic partner, a hobby, a job, or a cult. it can be anything, as long as it's more important to you than you are.

4. talk to a person who specializes in brain problems. if the first one you talk to sucks, find another one until you find one that's good.

it's also good to make friends, but i'm not good at that. ask Rarity about how i have no friends.

no booze or drugs

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

however ive been saying unsucked gems instead of uncut gems, the suck me brothers instead of the safdie brothers, and assorted things like that for the past 4 hours or so. ymmv

i take it you didn’t like it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

not seen it yet may watch it tonite

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Talk to a therapist and see if they recommend any kind of medication; you’ll then see a psychiatrist and maybe fix a chemical imbalance if you have one.

Avoid booze and drugs until you’ve sorted yourself; they will make problems worse and the good work you put in to help your brain usually is thrown out of the window when you’re intoxicated. If you can’t avoid drugs or booze, tell your therapist and see if they recommend any kind of 12 step program.

Your therapist will probably proscribe some good ol’ fashioned CBT. This works well if you do the stuff. The reason it works is because your brain is plastic and exists to learn, change, and adapt. A lot of misery comes from continuously firing the same misery-producing neurons; CBT helps with creating positive associations instead of negative ones. This is a lot of work because it takes about five positive associations (or experiences) with any given bad thing or person to cancel out one negative one. But, the work is good and it helps you.

I really like the book Buddha’s Brain. I recommend it if you like to read or want to know more about how to be happy in a very no-bullshit way. It’s a book that uses actual neuroscience and scientific studies on actual humans that looks at the physiology of being content. Practicing patience, compassion, and acceptance are all actual physiological needs designed by millions of years of evolution. For example, we are really good at cooperating as a species. We are also really good at murdering each other. These are two diametrically opposes systems that evolved about the same time. Why? Because people who murdered together were super successful.

Our hosed-upness as a species is undeniable but a lot of grief comes from both trying to deny it and also leaning into it. Instead, the idea is just to be aware that your aggression and stress responses are vestiges of mutations that helped us survive when we lived in the wilderness. There are actual, practical, no-bullshit things you can do all by yourself to make yourself feel less stressed and more in control. Your feelings of self are actually an illusion propped up by several parts of the brain: the self as subject (I want X), self as object (they did this to ME), reflective self (I am doing X), the core self (the sense of “now”), the autobiographical self (the sense of your past and future), and I think that’s it. All that to say—if you feel miserable, that is a valid way to be, but because you feel it also means you can change it.

If all else fails, and your chemistry isn’t off-balance, try to help out those less fortunate than yourself on a regular basis. That always works.

References: I am eight years gratefully sober and a middle school teacher and if I didn’t actively work for serenity I’d be a big loving mess.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is seasonal depression any different from regular depression?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spikegal posted:

What are some of your favorite promos from non wrestling media?

This one is up there for me from Doctor Who: The man who stops the monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll_UhrQMC-I&t=112s

From the same Doctor, the Kindness speech. https://youtu.be/xnouj9Yz-Gs

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I've been relistening to some of my favorite episodes of Punch Up the Jam and forgot that they posed a very good question about Your Song. I assume you, the poster reading this, likes Your Song because pretty much everyone likes Your Song. But is it a good song?

I think it sounds very pretty but the lyrics are kind of nonsense in the bad way so I now think it isn't a good song. Still love it, though.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Captain Magic posted:

Your therapist will probably proscribe some good ol’ fashioned CBT. This works well if you do the stuff. The reason it works is because your brain is plastic and exists to learn, change, and adapt. A lot of misery comes from continuously firing the same misery-producing neurons; CBT helps with creating positive associations instead of negative ones. This is a lot of work because it takes about five positive associations (or experiences) with any given bad thing or person to cancel out one negative one. But, the work is good and it helps you.

a dominatrix may also prescribe some CBT

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

decided to rewatch "The godfather part 2" lol. well i doubt I'll finish it but I got the itch

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Fredo!! ayyyyy Fuckin fredo wat da gently caress

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

drat it I missed the chance to talk about video games.
My game of the decade and possibly my favorite game of all-time is Skyrim. If you ask me why I prefer Skyrim to New Vegas I can only give you two feasible answers.
1) New Vegas's map is designed to herd you in a counterclockwise direction along the map. Which is absolutely not what I want in an open-world RPG.
2) Beyond that minor detail, I don't really know. It's just one of those things where my knee-jerk reaction is always 'Skyrim' when I ask myself that question.
Obviously New Vegas gets a very honorable mention along with Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Fire Emblem: 3 Houses

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
just found out that James "Radio" Kennedy died. rest in peace, Radio. if you're out there thinking of movies to watch, why not consider watching Radio, the 2003 semi-biographical sports drama based on his life, starring Cuba Gooding Jr. as Radio, and Ed Harris as coach Harold Jones.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

NienNunb posted:

Listen pal if they want you they gotta get through me first because I am the Theater teacher and I will give them all detention.

CarlCX posted:

My english/drama teacher loved me in high school and picked me to give the last class monologue before we graduated, and I picked Prospero's big climactic monologue from The Tempest because I was pretentious and it felt appropriate, but I was going through some poo poo and forgot all of my lines and it was terrible and I still occasionally think about it and get really mad at 16 year-old CarlCX for loving it up.

Monologues are the devil, is the point.

I just directed the Tempest this past spring and I gotta say that was a perfect choice. It’s literally a speech about “my work is done, now I rest.” And if you forgot your lines, frankly it’s Prospero’s fault for saying to many goddamn words. The show I directed was with teen actors and I was frankly astonished when our seventeen year old lead was off-book like a week early.

I loving love theater, folks.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/i6l8MFdTaPE

I did theater as a kid too

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
How did I go nearly ten years without seeing this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwFWDIFVCU

And how did I go nearly ten years without seeing a single parody of this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfcWTZeP1k

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

was hoping, when i clicked, to see the ol air conditioning commercial that ran for 25 years. i'll call today. i'll call now. that's the only one i know.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/4rqZZgVxnCk

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drew McIntyre posted:

any time i make friends im overwhelmed with urges to pit them in social strategy games built on distrust paranoia and betrayal. also ask rarity about how i keep siccing my friends on each other.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

CobiWann posted:

How did I go nearly ten years without seeing this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwFWDIFVCU

And how did I go nearly ten years without seeing a single parody of this commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfcWTZeP1k

He looks more ready to gently caress the percolator than his sister.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it looks freakin hot over there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dimebags Brain posted:

I'm blessed to be one of those people who doesn't suffer from depression, but I have several friends who do, and as others have mentioned in this thread the number one thing that seems to vastly improve their lives is :therapy:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
In case you forgot, or fell off, I'm still hot, knock your shell off
My money stack fat, plus I can't turn the swell off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm blessed to be one of those people who doesn't suffer from depression, but I have several friends who do, and as others have mentioned in this thread the number one thing that seems to vastly improve their lives is :therapy:
therapy is what does the best for my gf, followed by dog ownership, followed by medication. all have had their place over the last 12 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Therapy helps, Kitteh helps, supportive family and friends helps.
But I think what I really need is hope for the future.