Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Korgan posted:

It's funny how like three in the last ten posts have talked about people getting spoofed calls from their own number.

The thread is spoofing posts from itself.

Oh poo poo. I just got a PM from myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

EL BROMANCE posted:

When they spoof your own number, they really should lean into why everyone who answers does so - the hope that it’s a call from themselves from the future.

Steve, it’s you from 2023. Everything is going great man, but I tell you one thing - you really need to buy these dick pills.

We traced the call, it's coming from inside the phone!!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

*matrix music starts playing*

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/silentpocket/status/1189698587845771265

So basically it’s just turning off your phone, but your battery also goes down.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Wouldn’t going to airplane mode take care of most of that other than the RFID stuff?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Well the EMP protection is a pure hardware protection.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That probably does what it says it does, but you don’t really need it unless you have some extreme security requirements (e.g. you’re concerned about an adversary remotely activating a turned off phone and listening to your conversation). They’re marketing to the same people who buy MREs by the case.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

That probably does what it says it does, but you don’t really need it unless you have some extreme security requirements (e.g. you’re concerned about an adversary remotely activating a turned off phone and listening to your conversation). They’re marketing to the same people who buy MREs by the case.

Is it possible to turn on a turned off phone?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I really enjoy that I've been hopping my phone number between carriers for 20 years, because even if I didn't already know about the spoofing, there's almost no legit numbers still in use on that exchange so it's automatically suspicious. I've gotten a whole slew of nasty messages on occasion when someone spoofs mine though, which I usually just ignore since I don't have time to give a master class on phone number spoofing

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tight aspirations posted:

mostly no. it is possible, but only sometimes, and it is too difficult to bother with

https://blog.erratasec.com/2014/05/no-you-cant-remotely-turn-on-phones.html

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

luxury handset posted:

mostly no. it is possible, but only sometimes, and it is too difficult to bother with

https://blog.erratasec.com/2014/05/no-you-cant-remotely-turn-on-phones.html

Interesting link, thanks. I think I was thinking of a shutdown, powered off phone rather than just a screen turned off phone, but I guess it's comforting both are mostly impossible.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

tight aspirations posted:

yes, just press the power button :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/silentpocket/status/1189698587845771265

So basically it’s just turning off your phone, but your battery also goes down.

Do they also sell festive hats?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The "flu" "vaccine" is a scam. Vaccinations are not a scam, they are the foundation of reaching adulthood alive and uncrippled. But the flu "vaccine" is bullshit. It's never the correct one.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yikes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Never? How many different versions of influenza are there?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Never? How many different versions of influenza are there?

A bunch, and each part of the world tailors it to be effective against the top 3-4 strains the global medical community predicts will be big that year. They have to do this a few months in advance to have time to make enough for their part of the world. Sometimes they're wrong, and one of the big strains isn't included in the vaccine for that region. While they may not call the trifecta every year, they're accurate enough and calling the flu shot a "scam" is a really dumb take.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
oh good, I look forward to 117 new posts when I get up in 8 hours

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I made my whole family get the shot this year. The real-deal flu is traveling around my wife's workplace. She caught it, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as the last time one of us had the flu, even though she missed almost a week of work. My daughter was also sick for a few days but bounced back. My son shows no signs of illness. I am tired and have a sore throat, and a little nausea, but am otherwise OK. A+ would get jabbed in the arm again. It was free though our HMO and I am pretty sure they wouldn't pay for it if it had no efficacy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's a really good reason why health insurance companies want you to get flu shots. Those assholes are laser focused on not paying for poo poo and wouldn't cover flu shots if they didn't get massive ROIs.

Get poked friends.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’d never had a flu shot until last year I finally got one and now I love trains and have difficulty interacting in social situations

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

But trains are cool

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I’d never had a flu shot until last year I finally got one and now I love trains and have difficulty interacting in social situations

Yeah but that was all true before also.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

The "flu" "vaccine" is a scam. Vaccinations are not a scam, they are the foundation of reaching adulthood alive and uncrippled. But the flu "vaccine" is bullshit. It's never the correct one.

You have no idea what a vaccine is or how the flu virus works, or what the flu shot does.

That said, antivaxx stupidity is definitely a common con/scam so this is thread relevant.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

YIKES

If the people that choose the few flu variants to vaccinate against each year are wrong, it's not a scam. They just predicted wrong. It happens every year. They don't have a loving time machine, you know?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You've been getting them since at least 2015 don't lie.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Same, but except for trains, it's arguing with people on message boards.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I recently received a voicemail from a guy trying real hard to get scammed. He was calling me to find out why someone from my number had called him. I nearly never make calls from my phone, and hadn't called him. It was just my number that some scammer had spoofed up. The bad part is this guy left a voicemail at a strange number, volunteering his name+number+about 3 other ways to get ahold of him.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

It worked for my family this year. Sorry the vaccine wasn't strong enough to overcome your poor level of hygiene and overall health :shrug:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Flu shots are cheap or free in a lot of places, get stuck, be gay, do crimes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

Flu shots are cheap or free in a lot of places, get stuck, be gay, do crimes.

Flu shot didn't make me gay. I got it about 2 months ago. Should I get another? How will I know it's working?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Flu shot didn't make me gay. I got it about 2 months ago. Should I get another? How will I know it's working?

I dunno, did you do enough crimes? How much sushi did you get?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I dunno, did you do enough crimes? How much sushi did you get?

Wait, I thought I had to be gay first and then do the crimes. So I need do crimes and then I become gay? I am always down for sushi but I didn't know it figured in here. Should I switch from eating tuna to eating yellowtail?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

therobit posted:

Wait, I thought I had to be gay first and then do the crimes. So I need do crimes and then I become gay?

Yeah. It's "Be gay? Do crimes!"
Common misunderstanding.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

therobit posted:

Wait, I thought I had to be gay first and then do the crimes. So I need do crimes and then I become gay? I am always down for sushi but I didn't know it figured in here. Should I switch from eating tuna to eating yellowtail?

Break enough windows and you'll never want to eat anything fishy again.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Mustached Demon posted:

There's a really good reason why health insurance companies want you to get flu shots. Those assholes are laser focused on not paying for poo poo and wouldn't cover flu shots if they didn't get massive ROIs.

Get poked friends.

That good reason is that the ACA has vaccines, including the flu vaccine, as preventive care which means they have to cover it without charging a copay or coinsurance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Can we talk about Adobe for a second?

They're not running a scam in any traditional sense but their business practices and subscription model are a good example of how a "Scam" isn't really a scam because it's common place.

I'm a graphic designer and illustrator by trade and work in large format and offset printing. I've used Adobe software for decades and was around when it first came out and when my profession first made the move to digital creation. They've tended to make great software over the years.

About 4 or 5 years ago, they went to a subscription only model where you pay by the month. This kills me as a free lancer. You can rent the Creative Suite for something like $40 or $50 a month. Trouble is, I can go months at a time with NO freelance assignments at all or might have a month where I do one or two small jobs that make me, let's say, $125. There's no way for me to make a profit like this using the "always online" Creative Cloud and, tbh, an easy $100 job helps me a lot. For now, I can still use older software but recently I read that Adobe is planning to brick older versions of their software that I paid for and licensed. So I either have to generate new work and the create the extra time to do it or keep hoping against hope that my older software will hand on and work properly.

They also, for some reason, feel they have to release an "update" to this poo poo every year, which usually means breaking poo poo that worked fine, re-mapping keyboard shortcuts that have become muscle memory to me, shuffling commands and tasks around their menus for no reason and basically creating new problems that actively make my job harder instead of easier. I don't understand why they just don't fix the broken poo poo, leave the software alone and just sit back and count money. The way they do it now, by "upgrading" poo poo every year, it almost forces me to download the new poo poo even though I spent the previous year finding workarounds for crap they broke and which I've finally gotten to work fine.

They have a monopoly in my industry and like most companies in this position have abysmal customer service or any kind of help. When you manage to get any help at all, they ask if my $2,000 computer is more than 3 years old.

I'll give you a perfect example:

For some reason, Adobe InDesign decided to change their "text engine". What this means is that the way the software displays and flows text is different. So now, I open an old 48 page file that a customer prints every year but only changes the date or some poo poo, and the entire book re-flows (or, worse, cuts off text entirely). Fucks up an entire job that should be a simple re-order if I am not diligent and careful. The exact same file opened with a new app I never asked for with a simple one line text change can poo poo the bed and cost us an order.

TL/DR: Constant software updates that break your poo poo, sometimes intentionally, when everything was working fine feels like a scam to me. Happens with my phone and Xbox too. gently caress constantly updating poo poo if you don't want to and companies that break poo poo on purpose. gently caress subscription based creative software too that's hosed up my freelance side work.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Keep a working backup copy of your Adobe programmes on a flash drive
Block Adobe in your computers firewall so that it can no longer access the net and thus be "updated"
Continue to know that Adobe is a scam because capitalism is a scam

ne: consider having a computer that doesn't have an internet connection at all to keep your current known working state alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Keep a working backup copy of your Adobe programmes on a flash drive
Block Adobe in your computers firewall so that it can no longer access the net and thus be "updated"
Continue to know that Adobe is a scam because capitalism is a scam

ne: consider having a computer that doesn't have an internet connection at all to keep your current known working state alive.

That's exactly what I do.