Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Norton the First posted:

Also, Jesus Christ, why to UN marines not have power armor?

Some do. As with the Martian marines, it's limited to elite units. Maybe none were available for the thing you're thinking of :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Some do. As with the Martian marines, it's limited to elite units. Maybe none were available for the thing you're thinking of :shrug:

It was a semi-spur of the moment, rushed mission. Maybe that team of 12 was the closest group and not fully equipped.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Maybe we need to see Gao’s actress fighting naked for a few minutes to be sure.

Don't be gross.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

Don't be gross.

They'd be proto-molecule clones or something. I'm sure we could write something in plausibly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some of the Sheep posted:

Don't be gross.

Sorry Flanders.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Amos has what looks antisocial personality disorder as a result of PTSD from his childhood. Kids with trauma develop this, as the brain has a lot of safeguards in place for survival that when activated (namely, sustained elevated levels of cortisol) during early childhood brain formation can cause lasting damage.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gfarrell80 posted:

It was a semi-spur of the moment, rushed mission. Maybe that team of 12 was the closest group and not fully equipped.

Oh, yeah, and (Midseason poo poo related to that)UNMC dumbshit who resigned? I have no idea why the hell he thought sending Marines was a scummy political move. They have a treaty with Belters, and that ship is allegedly carrying civilians as well as Space Bin Laden. The options are 1) Slag the whole thing, civilians be damned, or 2) Send in Marines who can at least choose not to shoot the kids. And you know what? They don't shoot the kids!

Does this turn out badly in hindsight? Yes, because it was a trap engineered to ensnare someone who values human life. Not because it was a scummy political move to score points with voters. If anything, it was political to keep in line with the treaty rather than tossing it out the window for Earther supremacy.

I could also believe that the general was just space racist (who isn't in this franchise?) but neither that or Avasarala's choice are telegraphed to be anything more that what they are: people making decisions with incomplete information.

Which is honestly what drives a lot of the conflict in this show, now that I think about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Warmachine posted:

Oh, yeah, and (Midseason poo poo related to that)UNMC dumbshit who resigned? I have no idea why the hell he thought sending Marines was a scummy political move. They have a treaty with Belters, and that ship is allegedly carrying civilians as well as Space Bin Laden. The options are 1) Slag the whole thing, civilians be damned, or 2) Send in Marines who can at least choose not to shoot the kids. And you know what? They don't shoot the kids!

Does this turn out badly in hindsight? Yes, because it was a trap engineered to ensnare someone who values human life. Not because it was a scummy political move to score points with voters. If anything, it was political to keep in line with the treaty rather than tossing it out the window for Earther supremacy.

I could also believe that the general was just space racist (who isn't in this franchise?) but neither that or Avasarala's choice are telegraphed to be anything more that what they are: people making decisions with incomplete information.

Which is honestly what drives a lot of the conflict in this show, now that I think about it.

I agree. I don't get how that was supposed to go any differently. That should have been a point in Avasarala's favor, but they did the trope of not saying what should be said so bad plot thing could happen. She should have gone on the news and said "I chose to go with boarding the ship as there were innocent civilians onboard. The cowardly terrorists blew up the ship and killed all those innocent belters." It would make her look good for choosing the option that saves belter lives, and the terrorists bad for killing belters. The only other options were to let the ship go and potentially commit acts of terrorism, or kill a bunch of innocent people. There was no way for Avasarala to lose, but instead she chose to not say anything and then that guy resigned for no reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Lithium has other uses, including in fusion. It's also rare enough it's one of the few resources you could reasonably still lack when you have access to a thousand star systems.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Half?) Nepalese yeah? I remember when she was on Neighbours for a hot minute.

Tibetan mom, Australian dad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Lithium has other uses, including in fusion. It's also rare enough it's one of the few resources you could reasonably still lack when you have access to a thousand star systems.

As soon as someones find Coltan, Gold, Nickel and Cobalt in the same rock it'll be amazing how fast the build something to extract it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just finished watching season 4. Hope this isn't a spoiler, but just to be safe: it owned

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nancy Gao's actress is named... Lily Gao!
Also she's been on Letterkenny just like Cara Gee. There are maybe 50 Canadian actors and they are in everything filmed in Canada.

Looking at all the secondary characters they're almost all not just Canadians but Toronto locals too. Dr. Okoye, Wei, Marco Inaros, and most all the random belters and security folks all were born or went to school in Toronto. Not casting the widest net on the casting there.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 17, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

Nancy Gao's actress is named... Lily Gao!
Also she's been on Letterkenny just like Cara Gee. There are maybe 50 Canadian actors and they are in everything filmed in Canada.

Looking at all the secondary characters they're almost all not just Canadians but Toronto locals too. Dr. Okoye, Wei, Marco Inaros, and most all the random belters and security folks all were born or went to school in Toronto. Not casting the widest net on the casting there.

Wei is not only on Letterkenny, but she's hosed Shoresy

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I was actually wondering in what part of Canada they filmed the outdoors scenes on Ilus

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kassad posted:

I was actually wondering in what part of Canada they filmed the outdoors scenes on Ilus

I think I read north of Toronto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cojawfee posted:

I think I read north of Toronto.

Yep, in an old quarry.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, in an old quarry.

A hole in the ground is like money in the bank.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's refreshing to see a sci-fi filmed in Canada that doesn't take place on Planet Vancouver, at least.

The clearly visible forest of pine trees in the background of Area 51 on Stargate was magical.

E: Lol I remember it being trees way in the back not this blatant.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

It's refreshing to see a sci-fi filmed in Canada that doesn't take place on Planet Vancouver, at least.

The clearly visible forest of pine trees in the background of Area 51 on Stargate was magical.

Everyone knows the real Area 51 is on the redneck side of the Cascades

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

pik_d posted:

Unless he somehow comes back in the final book, which I find unlikely, he is gone for good. I suppose they could also change things in the show, but that would be a dramatic departure to just not have someone stay dead.

this makes me very sad, although I assume that the books eventually include other ways that depict what the protomolecule is actively doing

a small pile of blue goo under the floorboards of your ship manipulating your brain at a distance to investigate why nobody is answering their calls is pretty cool and crazy

Also completely unrelated I'm wondering if the ring station and the thousands of systems connected within was the extent of the ring builder civilization, just one of many, or was built by autonomous protomolecule in the millions of years after to replace one that might've been destroyed during the war. I had assumed the latter this whole time but given that new Terra was clearly actively used by their civilization it sounds like the first choice? It's all very fun to think about.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grand Fromage posted:

i remember Stargate sg-1 and the goa'uld affinity for Canadian planets

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

logikv9 posted:

i remember Stargate sg-1 and the goa'uld affinity for Canadian planets

I mean, it's quite a lovely template, I'd take it over the sand planets any day of the week.

edit: Seriously, what the gently caress was wrong with Ra that he wanted to hang out on that shithole, lovely transplanted population aside. The clearest example of just how much all of the other Goa'uld disliked him was that they didn't let him hang out on any of the nice planets.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
why the gently caress are people still posting book spoilers ffs

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

logikv9 posted:

this makes me very sad, although I assume that the books eventually include other ways that depict what the protomolecule is actively doing

a small pile of blue goo under the floorboards of your ship manipulating your brain at a distance to investigate why nobody is answering their calls is pretty cool and crazy

Also completely unrelated I'm wondering if the ring station and the thousands of systems connected within was the extent of the ring builder civilization, just one of many, or was built by autonomous protomolecule in the millions of years after to replace one that might've been destroyed during the war. I had assumed the latter this whole time but given that new Terra was clearly actively used by their civilization it sounds like the first choice? It's all very fun to think about.

Nothing says the protomolecule can't have plans after the ring gate's built to convert a planet. If it can build wormholes it can probably manage whatever the gently caress that planet was for.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
maybe ra just liked sand and deserts, also pretty sure he was running around the galaxy, since he was basically head system lord.

they did a real good job of making me not think about Ilus being on Canada.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Where did Stargate film the desert planets if they were mostly based in Canada?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thom12255 posted:

Where did Stargate film the desert planets if they were mostly based in Canada?

Canada actually has some desert areas, BC specifically. Also old quarries, sand pits, sulfur storage areas and poo poo. Old quarries is where pretty much all budget scifi is filmed.
https://moviemaps.org/movies/1e

Also here's a link for all expanse locations (it's not very complete, the nerds for this site haven't fully gone at it yet it seems)
https://moviemaps.org/movies/1af

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 17, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I agree. I don't get how that was supposed to go any differently. That should have been a point in Avasarala's favor, but they did the trope of not saying what should be said so bad plot thing could happen. She should have gone on the news and said "I chose to go with boarding the ship as there were innocent civilians onboard. The cowardly terrorists blew up the ship and killed all those innocent belters." It would make her look good for choosing the option that saves belter lives, and the terrorists bad for killing belters. The only other options were to let the ship go and potentially commit acts of terrorism, or kill a bunch of innocent people. There was no way for Avasarala to lose, but instead she chose to not say anything and then that guy resigned for no reason.

It seemed that the Marine general's resignation was supposed to mirror Admiral Souther's resignation in season 2, an act of conscience following an ill-advised military action that threw a monkey wrench into the UN's dealings with the other powers, except this time Avasarala's the SecGen and can't leverage it to her advantage. But as already discussed, this military action was actually the correct one, she's in a perfect position to leverage it by simply telling the truth, and the general's resignation reads like petulant naivete instead of Souther's principled sacrifice.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda surprised how quickly Bobbi gives in to being a crook. As soon as the crime lord sprang her from jail I would have thought she'd put in a call to Chrisjen.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norton the First posted:

Kinda surprised how quickly Bobbi gives in to being a crook. As soon as the crime lord sprang her from jail I would have thought she'd put in a call to Chrisjen.

I think she was becoming disillusioned with Mars pretty quickly by that point. The Martian brass scorned her at the reception, the cops are corrupt, her own boss tried to be corrupt when she did the right thing, and her beloved nephew is a drug cooker. She wasn't too thrilled by being used as a Avasarala's pawn at the reception, and she probably didn't' want to leave with her nephew still potentially at risk.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I think she was becoming disillusioned with Mars pretty quickly by that point. The Martian brass scorned her at the reception, the cops are corrupt, her own boss tried to be corrupt when she did the right thing, and her beloved nephew is a drug cooker. She wasn't too thrilled by being used as a Avasarala's pawn at the reception, and she probably didn't' want to leave with her nephew still potentially at risk.

Yeah I took it as she was trying to help the kid go straight before figuring out her own life, hers was dedicated to a cause that no longer exists, she's basically wasted her entire life up to that point. That would be pretty drat demoralizing to anyone, she also had the time to think about it.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, in an old quarry.

The best part about this at the NYCC panel was Cara Gee bragging about how she didn't have to be cold like everyone else because she got to film indoors in the ship sets.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved the interactions between Holden and Not-Miller ("Proto-Miller-Cule?"). Every time they were on screen together I had a big old smile on my face.

Book spoilers: It's a shame Miller's supposedly gone for good but I guess it did give his character some closure.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

No need to cast a wider net when you have local quality... I thought all the supporting actors did a great job.

Kassad posted:

As a side note... all the outdoor visual effects were immaculately done. Very convincing. I assume there's quite a bit of overlay or background manipulation going on, it was quite convincing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

SpookyLizard posted:

maybe ra just liked sand and deserts, also pretty sure he was running around the galaxy, since he was basically head system lord.

they did a real good job of making me not think about Ilus being on Canada.

Yeah, I actually literally thought to myself 'wait, did they shoot this in New Zealand, in Mordor-Land, or maybe Icela-...wait, of course, it's in Canada. Probably some horrible quarry in northern Ontario.'.

So, pretty good!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Boris Galerkin posted:

why the gently caress are people still posting book spoilers ffs

Yeah, should only vaguely skim Expanse threads on here. Fuckers are relentless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cas Anvar says they just finished shooting episode 5 of the next season. Wonder if it'll be fall of next year or maybe even summer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Cas Anvar says they just finished shooting episode 5 of the next season. Wonder if it'll be fall of next year or maybe even summer.

Amazon's policy is to always release a season a year after the prior one. It's why they sat on the third season of High Castle for nine months after the SFX was done, meaning there was a two year gap between seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think we need more shots of the inside of Avasarala's closet.