Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The code it's throwing is P0780, a mechanical fault with the transmission. I don't think this is getting fixed in one day.

Lemon laws in New Hampshire are three attempts to fix the issue or 30 days where the car is unusable.

If this happened in NH it would almost be a non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Any aftermarket head unit means you lose the command knob, right?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The dealer looked at the 3 and there's metal in the transmission fluid. They ordered a new trans and it should be getting put in next week. The guy I spoke with said they pretty much never see transmission or any other major issues with 3s and we just got "lucky".

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Can you even put an aftermarket unit in a newer Mazda? There's nowhere to mount it in the dash.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have a 15, so last year of the in-dash screen. Infotainment is decent enough but bluetooth is slow and never seems to connect right first try.

I really like that stupid knob though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Previa_fun posted:

I don't know about mazdas in particular but I've seen lots of electronic boxes that are used to connect the cars steering wheel/etc controls to the headunit for various car brands.

e: did some hunting around and there doesn't seem to be anything supporting the commander knob specifically, though one of the teachable steering wheel control adapters might work

I found a few people talking about monitoring the can data to figure out the knob control messages but afaict no one actually did it

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 5, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Spent the evening draining the trans oil, engine oil and coolant.

I wound up doing it with the engine cold because I didn't want to have to wait several hours for the coolant to be safe enough to drain later, but jeeze it took forever for the engine oil to drain.

This is primarily to replace the oil cooler that has a failed gasket. What a pain in the rear end. I was trying to do it while leaving the oil filter manifold on but I couldn't get coolant hoses off of the filter, now I've removed the manifold, which spilled more oil and I still can't seem to get one of the coolant lines off. I guess I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow and hopefully wrap it all up.

The trans oil was just overdue for a change. Do I really need to fill it with the wheels on the ground? It's been a few years since I last changed the trans fluid so I don't recall if I filled it on stands last time.

Hopefully bleeding the coolant system isn't to hard to do. I could see how some air could potentially get into the oil cooler portion of the loop.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
There’s a coolant burping procedure in the service manual. It involves something like revving the engine to 3k RPM for 30 seconds, then idling for 30 seconds, and repeating. First time I went through this process, the engine got up to 230F so I shut it down and tried again once it cooled off and I topped off the coolant. Worked the second time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've been driving my brother's fiesta st for a few days and I can't decide what the right thing to do is with my MS3.

Anyone want to help going down a rabbit hole with me and figure out if the steering wheel/spline pattern matches the NB/NC/ND Miata and would allow me to install one of these wheel spacers/extenders? One of my chief complaints has been not being able to bring the steering wheel closer to myself.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=654504&page=8 &%23160;

https://supermiata.com/chassis---roll-bars---interior.aspx &%23160;

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A whole stack of CX-30 reviews dropped and the general consensus seems to be that it is good:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-mazda-cx-30-feels-like-a-lower-budget-porsche-1840400139
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12/the-2020-mazda-cx-30-is-a-crossover-youll-actually-enjoy-driving/
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-mazda-cx-30-preview/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30215362/2020-mazda-cx-30-drive/
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/387657/2020-mazda-cx30-review/

I mean, yay for Mazda but boo because even more SUVs?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gimme an AWD electric Mazda3 and I'd consider switching out the Tesla I currently use as a daily driver.

Also gently caress SUVs.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I've been driving my brother's fiesta st for a few days and I can't decide what the right thing to do is with my MS3.

Anyone want to help going down a rabbit hole with me and figure out if the steering wheel/spline pattern matches the NB/NC/ND Miata and would allow me to install one of these wheel spacers/extenders? One of my chief complaints has been not being able to bring the steering wheel closer to myself.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=654504&page=8 &%23160;

https://supermiata.com/chassis---roll-bars---interior.aspx &%23160;

I contacted the Italian guy who started this business:
https://www.spacershop.com/categoria-prodotto/mazda/

Apparently the MS3 uses the same steering column/wheel as Ford, which is a hexagonal shaft, not a spline. So, none of his products currently fit the MS3. My back aches will continue I guess.

Hopefully he'll develop something while I still have the car.

Wibla posted:

Gimme an AWD electric Mazda3 and I'd consider switching out the Tesla I currently use as a daily driver.

Also gently caress SUVs.

Absolutely. AWD, dual motor EV Mazda3 would be great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

When I went on the Mazda tour in Hiroshima this summer, they were punching out a poo poo ton of CX-30s and anniversary NDs on the same line.

Really happy with the '20 Mazda3 hatch so far.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I went on the Mazda tour in Hiroshima this summer, they were punching out a poo poo ton of CX-30s and anniversary NDs on the same line.

Really happy with the '20 Mazda3 hatch so far.

I don't have the big corporate man smarty pants on so maybe I'm missing something but a fourth generation electrified Mazda3 would conquer the entire North American market in like five minutes.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fabulousity posted:

I don't have the big corporate man smarty pants on so maybe I'm missing something but a fourth generation electrified Mazda3 would conquer the entire North American market in like five minutes.

it isn't a cross over so no, it wouldn't

a full electric CX-3 on the other hand might. Probably not in Ontario though because sales of electric vehicles have dropped like a brick after Premier Crackmayor Minor cancelled the rebates for them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Polished my headlights this weekend with the 3m drill kit and Sylvania UV protectant clear coat.

It's not perfect, but it's much better.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Yeah I wish I’d thought of the clear coat, but oh well. Still a crazy difference (especially on high beams, which I now never use)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Should I be thinking about preemptively replacing my HIDs or high beams? Going on a ten year old car and they haven't burned out yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

Should I be thinking about preemptively replacing my HIDs or high beams? Going on a ten year old car and they haven't burned out yet.

I do that with my low beams. They get noticeably dimmer as they age. I've been meaning to research if there are bulbs I'd like better than regular ones.

I forgot, do you have a Canadian model? If so, high beams are a good idea as aren't the DRLs run off that?

I otherwise have all original exterior bulbs on my car but headlights after 14 years! Crazy

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I had to do my license plate lights, but that’s been it. Was tempted to go all LEDs but seemed like more hassle than it was worth.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Charles posted:

I do that with my low beams. They get noticeably dimmer as they age. I've been meaning to research if there are bulbs I'd like better than regular ones.

I forgot, do you have a Canadian model? If so, high beams are a good idea as aren't the DRLs run off that?

I otherwise have all original exterior bulbs on my car but headlights after 14 years! Crazy

No it's a US model. I'm in Texas.

Any recommendations on what bulbs to go with for the HIDs or high beams are much appreciated.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I had to do my license plate lights, but that’s been it. Was tempted to go all LEDs but seemed like more hassle than it was worth.

My license plate has a bad connector on one side so it goes out until you tap it.

Also yeah I was thinking regular bulbs, don't know anything about HID bulbs, my bad. Only thing is I think they turn purplish as they get old.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Charles posted:

Only thing is I think they turn purplish as they get old.

They get somewhat dimmer as they do that, and between those two factors it pretty much never makes sense to replace only one bulb because the color/brightness difference is maddening.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Charles posted:

My license plate has a bad connector on one side so it goes out until you tap it.

Also yeah I was thinking regular bulbs, don't know anything about HID bulbs, my bad. Only thing is I think they turn purplish as they get old.

Ha, mine too. The killer was I had just passed inspection with 1, then the other with the bad connector decided to act up in front of a bored cop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MA-Horus posted:

it isn't a cross over so no, it wouldn't

a full electric CX-3 on the other hand might. Probably not in Ontario though because sales of electric vehicles have dropped like a brick after Premier Crackmayor Minor cancelled the rebates for them.

CX-3 is probably a bit small (and dated), more chance with something CX-30 based.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

CX-3 is probably a bit small (and dated), more chance with something CX-30 based.

What size is the MX-30?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Charles posted:

HID output is fairly stable right up until the end of life. When the bulb starts to color shift wildly it means failure is imminent.

e: that being said, replace in pairs. There's a bit of variation in color temperature from one manufacturer to another and the bulbs' output does change imperceptibly over time - put a new 4300k bulb in with a 5+ year old one and you will be able to see a slight difference between the two.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 18, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

HID output is fairly stable right up until the end of life. When the bulb starts to color shift wildly it means failure is imminent.

e: that being said, replace in pairs. There's a bit of variation in color temperature from one manufacturer to another and the bulbs' output does change imperceptibly over time - put a new 4300k bulb in with a 5+ year old one and you will be able to see a slight difference between the two.

Is there such a thing as a 2700K bulb?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Charles posted:

What size is the MX-30?

Looks to be about the same as the CX-30

173"x71"x62" CX-30
173"x70.1x60.8" MX-30

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had any issues with using Spotify via Android Auto since the update? For reference I have a 15' 3 that I installed the AA upgrade kit in. Everything was working fine before but now more often than not, Spotify won't play even though the AA is otherwise working properly and the audio is set to USB. It just keeps playing from the FM radio source instead.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Charles posted:

Is there such a thing as a 2700K bulb?

I've seen 3000k bulbs for sale (not from a reputable manufacturer though) which are deep yellow.

You'll have to check eBay, Aliexpress or some "HIDZ" retailers for them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
The major white LED manufacturers sell 2700k LEDs as part of their normal product lines so it's certainly possible.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

I've seen 3000k bulbs for sale (not from a reputable manufacturer though) which are deep yellow.

You'll have to check eBay, Aliexpress or some "HIDZ" retailers for them.

I was just curious. I like the color of normal bulbs. I don't have a car with HIDs though. 3000K would be close enough though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I've always heard that the human eye sees better at night with yellow light than bluer light.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Both 3000K and 4300K are generally fine, what most people get wrong is adjustment...

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Has anyone had any issues with using Spotify via Android Auto since the update?
My Spotify icon sometimes just disappears from the main menu and I can't start it. I have to start it on my phone for it to reappear in Android Auto. I don't think this is a Mazda specific issue since it has happened in my Miata and Accord.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well I think I heard the first signs of my throw out bearing failing.

Basically heard this exact same noise briefly when I came to a stop. I want to say I had it in first gear with the clutch pedal in, but I don't remember exactly.

I pulled over and popped the hood and had my fiance press the clutch in and out, rev it, etc and didn't notice anything the rest of drive.

Sunk cost fallacy and trying to keep this car running smoothly until an EV truck or something comes out. What would one budget for parts and labor to do a new clutc/flywheel (or resurface the flywheel), bearings, labor? I guess I have "time" around christmas/new years, but I've never dropped a transmission or done anything like that before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwJz1nm09c

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 22, 2019

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
2019 & 2020 Mazda 3s are being recalled because they car might just decide to slam on the breaks because reasons. I've had this happen on my 2019, it was terrifying. The mechanic at one dealership said that I probably had a foggy windshield. I don't go to that dealership anymore.

quote:

This recall is related to the automatic emergency braking system equipped to certain models.

According to Mazda, affected vehicles may “unexpectedly stop while driving due to inadvertent activation of the Smart Braking System automatic emergency braking system.” The programming of the system’s software could cause the Mazda3 to “falsely detect an obstacle in front of the vehicle while driving.” In response to that detection, the software may automatically apply the brakes despite no collision being imminent.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-recall-emergency-braking/

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

TealShark posted:

2019 & 2020 Mazda 3s are being recalled because they car might just decide to slam on the breaks because reasons. I've had this happen on my 2019, it was terrifying. The mechanic at one dealership said that I probably had a foggy windshield. I don't go to that dealership anymore.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-recall-emergency-braking/

I'm only now starting to see a fourth generation 3 in the wild occasionally. Nice to know to maintain some distance while observing and trying to decide if I like or hate the new body. Love the front end so far, not sure what I think about the rest.

quote:

Mazda said that it’s reported the defect to the NHTSA, but it hasn’t been posted on the website yet. The fix is easy for some, but more difficult for others. Vehicles with early build dates will need the whole instrument cluster replaced or reprogrammed, as these cars have a different procedure for "temporary manual deactivation of the Smart Braking System." These early build cars will also receive a new owner's manual to reflect the revised procedure of temporary manual deactivation of the system. Later cars will only need the Smart Braking System software reprogrammed with an improved version. Mailings to owners for notification purposes should be completed on or before February 17 next year.

:stare: I have a late 2014 3 with all the bells and whistles and most of them can be turned on/off with the push of a button to the left of the steering column. The collision avoidance system of the time is only active under 20 mph so these newer cars must be a real experience when going anywhere above 40 mph and the car suddenly thinks a brick wall is in front of you. Note: I don't drive with any of the safety systems disabled but it is sorta nice that it's an option if it becomes a temporary problem.

Edit: Although disabling such things shouldn't be that easy and doing so via console menus is better than push buttons.
Edit 2: If the console never crashes. Which it does.
Edit 3: gently caress it, leave the buttons in.
Edit 4: But don't just configure the buttons to just send requests to the console software.
Edit 5: gently caress it 2, just give cars giant stereo systems with very refined and well implemented Bluetooth/RCA/3.5" input support. No one can access CAN bus ever for any reason.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I have a friend who's fiance just bought whatever the latest model Mazda 3 hatch is. Not sure if it's a 2019 or 2020. Either way, as all dealership experiences go, the salesman when she was test driving it, tried to get her to demo all the features like "lane keep" or whatever it's called, and was pretty pushy about doing things that honestly seemed unsafe for someone in an unfamiliar car on a busy highway.

After they finally made it through the buying process, the sales guy then went out and tried to "configure" everything for her, which included disabling the adaptive cruise control, and possibly something to do with the emergency braking system. Dealerships are bad, but maybe he was just looking out for her. (He wasn't.)