Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So for Hades you get to respec at the mirror pretty quick, do you also get to respec the weapons or should I be more selective with my Titans blood until I'm supposedly swimming in it later in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

As far as I know there's no way to respec your Titan's Blood purchases, so make sure you pick something that sounds good as best you can. It really should let you try before you buy since you're already doing the buying in the training room but oh well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

McKracken posted:

At one point the game suggested I was over leveled for the remaining areas and asked if I wanted to bump the enemies up to compensate (hard no on that) which is why I feel like I'm just playing like a total moron.

I'll definitely make sure to use the summon abilities more frequently and I chucked Durance out of my party asap so not having a priest has probably been a problem. Thanks!
I feel like the biggest improvement I made between my first and second playthroughs was that in my second playthrough I try to start every combat by queueing up per-encounter abilities for every character, and then make the game auto-pause when abilities complete, and then use another per-encounter ability if appropriate, repeating until everyone dies. My spellbooks only come up if things get serious, like if my adorable lion hunter companion gets killed before the rest of the fighters even get to the enemy line

This alone has everything seeming easier, except, interestingly, the unique "boss"-style encounters, which now seem unbeatable despite me handling them fairly well the first time through.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Zaodai posted:

As far as I know there's no way to respec your Titan's Blood purchases, so make sure you pick something that sounds good as best you can. It really should let you try before you buy since you're already doing the buying in the training room but oh well.

You can game the save system to test aspects like this, at least on my EGS version. Just unlock and try an aspect out, then quit to the main menu without leaving the room. The game saves on transitions between rooms in the house, so on loading you'll be back in the training room with all your Titans blood intact. You can actually even start a run and try it out, as long as you quit while a boon selection is up on screen. You'll know it's going to work if you see in the menu that it says Give Up instead of Quit. The game saves each run as an instance, so your main save doesn't get updated with any progress you make until you either die or exit the last level.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm going to try Encased and was wondering if anyone had some advice.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You can game the save system to test aspects like this, at least on my EGS version. Just unlock and try an aspect out, then quit to the main menu without leaving the room. The game saves on transitions between rooms in the house, so on loading you'll be back in the training room with all your Titans blood intact. You can actually even start a run and try it out, as long as you quit while a boon selection is up on screen. You'll know it's going to work if you see in the menu that it says Give Up instead of Quit. The game saves each run as an instance, so your main save doesn't get updated with any progress you make until you either die or exit the last level.

Wow this is a really good tip, thanks.

Also thanks a lot of all the other respondents, even if I don't quote you directly I do appreciate your answers.

Now 1 last question before I stop cluttering this thread with Hades stuff:

What's the recommended 1st time upgrade for weapon aspect if you just want to win the game? I just unlocked the Aspects and I'm absolutely overwhelmed now with all the choices.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

srulz posted:

Wow this is a really good tip, thanks.

Also thanks a lot of all the other respondents, even if I don't quote you directly I do appreciate your answers.

Now 1 last question before I stop cluttering this thread with Hades stuff:

What's the recommended 1st time upgrade for weapon aspect if you just want to win the game? I just unlocked the Aspects and I'm absolutely overwhelmed now with all the choices.

I just posted a quick Hades thread if people want to move some of the general game chat out of this thread.

To answer your question, that really depends heavily on what weapons you like and what style of play you gravitate toward. Personally, I like Zagreus and Poseidon aspects on the sword or Chiron aspect on the bow. If you just want to beat the game though, you don't even need to touch weapon aspects. You can get some ridiculously powerful builds going on the base weapons very easily, especially if you get your keepsakes leveled up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I finished Rage 2 today and I slightly rewrote some of the current tips on the wiki + added three more:

- The PC controls for using the powers are a bit fiddly - in the options you can bind each of the four powers to an "instant cast" key, which lets you skip the "Hold down ctrl and then press another key" business.
- Most of the content of the game consists of the activities spread around the map. Don't rush the missions given to you by the main cast. Only do the first ones, so you gain access to their specific upgrades (called "projects").
- Doing blue activities (finding arks, ark chests, datapads, ranger echoes, etc) until you are level 7 with Dr. Kvasir will unlock a flying vehicle. This makes getting around the map easier.
- There are upgrades which show you the proximity of pink chests and data pads, which can be useful if you're getting annoyed at finding collectibles at locations.
- Your most important power is probably Focus. Focus allow you to see through walls and spot enemies, collectibles, fuel containers and mutant pods. Be sure to upgrade its scanning range.
- The assault rifle and shotgun will be your main weapons during the entire game, as you'll constantly get ammo for them.
- Shooting wooden crates is easier than meleeing them, which often needs to be done more than once.
- Make sure to use Overdrive often - it recharges very quickly in a fight.
- You repair your main car by standing at the front, where there's a control panel that opens up, and using Focus.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd also add something about Slam being the only offensive power that doesn't suck dick but it's not like you're starved of resources to upgrade everything.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Alright, people. I'm about to pull the trigger on Disco Elysium. I heard nothing but glowing recommendations for it. Anything I should keep in mind?

I should mention that I bounced off of Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and all those isometric RPG thingamajigs... I did enjoy going through the narration, but I utterly hated the user interface and, well, everything about the fighting system. (Which is probably why I played Torment for the longest time.) I heard that in Disco Elysium, there's pretty much NO fighting system, it's basically all dialog choices and skill checks...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

Alright, people. I'm about to pull the trigger on Disco Elysium. I heard nothing but glowing recommendations for it. Anything I should keep in mind?

I should mention that I bounced off of Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and all those isometric RPG thingamajigs... I did enjoy going through the narration, but I utterly hated the user interface and, well, everything about the fighting system. (Which is probably why I played Torment for the longest time.) I heard that in Disco Elysium, there's pretty much NO fighting system, it's basically all dialog choices and skill checks...

There is zero combat in Disco Elysium, it's all dialogue and action rolls :rolldice:. The only thing to know about Disco Elysium is that you don't have to be the straight-man sane detective. People can and will roll with the crazier poo poo you can choose to espouse, and there's no Paladin/Renegade morality or anything like that. Just your own internalized philosophies and a murder to solve any way you can.

edit: Actually there is one thing to know; Make sure you have the 20 Real for the second night's stay at the Whirling Rags. It's possible to brick your playthrough this way. (Day 3 onwards you'll get the opportunity to unlock a second sleeping location, so it's the only time you can screw yourself over this way).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For Disco Elysium you can get by fine with just about any skill set and I highly recommend just focusing on whatever sounds good because you can't really gently caress yourself on skills. The exception to that is maybe consider not starting both physique AND psyche at 1 because they both control the skills for your two HP pools and it's very easy for players to just die early in the game because their HP is 1/1. Not to say you can't get by like that because you can totally work around it and fix it after character creation just... be aware.

Also there is one softlock early in the game you need to be aware of. You have to get a bunch of money on your first two days and there's a limited amount of currency available so don't spend it on stupid poo poo and make it impossible to progress. After that you don't have to pay but just, try not to spend any money until after day 2 .

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is zero combat in Disco Elysium, it's all dialogue and action rolls :rolldice:. The only thing to know about Disco Elysium is that you don't have to be the straight-man sane detective. People can and will roll with the crazier poo poo you can choose to espouse, and there's no Paladin/Renegade morality or anything like that. Just your own internalized philosophies and a murder to solve any way you can.

:toot: Cool. Gonna try and play as an insufferable smirking Inspector Columbo type.

Is there any kind of time limit? I tend to explore locations as much as I possibly can, and I'd hate it if a game goes "nope, go to bed now" when I've only gone through two map screens or something like that :v:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Disco Elysium : Time passes by talking and other dialogue boxes, but not walking or sitting there thinking (playerside thinking that is).
Make your own saves, it's autosaves are kinda far apart by default.

EDIT : But, it definitely far more of a play blind, just play, own your gently caress-ups kind of game. Notably there are times when failing a check is better for you, or more fun, or more pleasant than passing it. If you really want to dig in and find the 'perfect' route, that's outside this thread.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 17, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

:toot: Cool. Gonna try and play as an insufferable smirking Inspector Columbo type.

Is there any kind of time limit? I tend to explore locations as much as I possibly can, and I'd hate it if a game goes "nope, go to bed now" when I've only gone through two map screens or something like that :v:

There are some individual events that can shape the story which occur on certain days, but beyond that, no.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah as was said, time only advances when selecting dialogue options and even then only dialogue options you've never selected before so don't sweat it.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Finally getting around to playing FTL: Faster Than Light. Seems simple enough but I'm reading that I should start on Easy Mode off the bat?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Liquid Banjo posted:

Finally getting around to playing FTL: Faster Than Light. Seems simple enough but I'm reading that I should start on Easy Mode off the bat?
I'd recommend it. The game is pretty unforgiving. It's easy to work yourself into a corner within just a few turns and never realize that you're already stuck in a slow death spiral. It's entirely possible to win the majority of your games once you know what to do and when, but if you don't, it's exceedingly easy to gently caress yourself over because you are under time pressure and don't always have the free turns to really fix your missteps.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mierenneuker posted:

I finished Rage 2 today and I slightly rewrote some of the current tips on the wiki + added three more:

- The PC controls for using the powers are a bit fiddly - in the options you can bind each of the four powers to an "instant cast" key, which lets you skip the "Hold down ctrl and then press another key" business.
- Most of the content of the game consists of the activities spread around the map. Don't rush the missions given to you by the main cast. Only do the first ones, so you gain access to their specific upgrades (called "projects").
- Doing blue activities (finding arks, ark chests, datapads, ranger echoes, etc) until you are level 7 with Dr. Kvasir will unlock a flying vehicle. This makes getting around the map easier, so focus on this if you don't enjoy the "getting around the map" part.
- There are upgrades which show you the proximity of pink chests and data pads, which can be useful if you're getting annoyed at finding collectibles in bases.
- Your most important power is Focus. Focus allow you to see through walls and spot enemies, collectibles, fuel containers and mutant pods. Be sure to upgrade its scanning range.
- The assault rifle and shotgun will be your main weapons during the entire game, as you'll constantly get ammo for them.
- Shooting wooden crates is easier than meleeing them, which often needs to be done more than once.
- Make sure to use Overdrive often - it recharges very quickly in a fight.
- You repair your main car by standing at the front, where there's a control panel that opens up, and using Focus.

Many of the automated gun towers can be cheesed once you have the mech that was added in for free recently. It gets an arcing mortar shot that can hit the towers while keeping you behind cover.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Liquid Banjo posted:

Highly suggested to start on Easy mode so you get a hang of the mechanics of the game. Also, make liberal use of the pause mechanic so you can think out moves during fights. People who do Hard No Pause runs like LethalFrag can do those because they have tons of experience with the game.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

2 things for Disco Elysium:

1) If you take a fatal hit to your health pools, you can heal before you die. Your final health blips will slowly (But not that slowly) tick down, giving you a moment to click your Healing Item button. 1HP runs are possible this way.
2) There is no time limit. A thing will happen on Day 3. A minor thing will happen on Day 4. Otherwise there is no rush. Take your time and enjoy the world.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
For FTL:

-Your goal in each map is to take as many jumps as you can without dying. Don't make my early mistake of rushing through a map without planning your route. Nearly every jump has the chance of giving you precious fuel, scrap, or other resources.

-Killing all of the enemy crew members without destroying their ship almost always gives you better rewards. Doing this to slaver vessels, for example, gives you a good chance of recruiting a new character for your ship. Try setting fires on the enemy ship and cutting off their O2 supply for best results.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

2 things for Disco Elysium:

Couple more things:

1. You are supposed to fail checks, and some of the best moments of the game come when you do. Take risks.

2. The only mandatory check in the game is a very hard Shivers check.

3. Don't drop your skill points in the second you get them. Take a risky roll on something, then use the skill point to refresh your chance. The obvious exception are the red checks.

4. The map features a list of all the checks that you found, and will highlight the ones that you are able to try again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Truman Sticks posted:

For FTL:

-Your goal in each map is to take as many jumps as you can without dying. Don't make my early mistake of rushing through a map without planning your route. Nearly every jump has the chance of giving you precious fuel, scrap, or other resources.

-Killing all of the enemy crew members without destroying their ship almost always gives you better rewards. Doing this to slaver vessels, for example, gives you a good chance of recruiting a new character for your ship. Try setting fires on the enemy ship and cutting off their O2 supply for best results.

For what it's worth these are already on the page.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

CuddleCryptid posted:

2. The only mandatory check in the game is a very hard Shivers check.

Minor note, but this isn't something you need to worry about preparing your build for or anything. There's a ton of sidequests and clothing that can give boosts to this check, to the point where you can easily clear it even with only 1 point in shivers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Snake Maze posted:

Minor note, but this isn't something you need to worry about preparing your build for or anything. There's a ton of sidequests and clothing that can give boosts to this check, to the point where you can easily clear it even with only 1 point in shivers.

Correct, you can get a mountain of bonuses for it just by investigating normally. It isn't until basically the end anyways.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Glagha posted:

For Disco Elysium you can get by fine with just about any skill set and I highly recommend just focusing on whatever sounds good because you can't really gently caress yourself on skills.

You need to pass a pretty high Shiver check about 2/3 of the way into the game, too, so don't sleep on that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey right now, and the tips on the page are very useful, but I've got a question that isn't covered:

Are there any locations or types of locations that I should definitely be clearing/completing any time I come across them? Or any that I should specifically seek out? I did every location in the first two or three regions, didn't set out to do it really but just did, but now I'm kind of bored with clearing out random forts and encampments. I've seen elsewhere on the internet that obviously nothing you do in regards to Spartan/Athenian control of individual regions will really matter, since it's the Peloponnesian War and is going to go on for 30 years anyway so do I need to bother with the related locations? I do know I found evidence that revealed the identity of at least one cultist in a chest in one fortress, but are those in fixed locations? And are there other ways I get the identity of cultists? I'd like to pass on some of the fortresses and encampments since they're pretty repetitive and the rewards aren't generally that fantastic, I'm just wondering if there's a strong reason why I shouldn't.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Nah, for the most part you can do what you like and ignore what you don't want.

Regarding your second spoiler, the game's menu for that topic will drop hints if it needs you to go do side-quests or exploration in an area to advance things.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also, cultist identities will get hinted at by other ones you take out along the way so the worst thing that'll happen is having to fast-travel back to go clear a fortress you skipped. But in the process you'll get to skip any you don't feel like doing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Great, thanks! That's what I figured but it's always nice to have confirmation on that sort of thing before I skip a whole bunch.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Related, there are also a few tied to main plot stuff, so if you're getting frustrated that you just can't track down a dude somewhere, just keep 'er movin'.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Related, there are also a few tied to main plot stuff, so if you're getting frustrated that you just can't track down a dude somewhere, just keep 'er movin'.

Yeah I saw there's at least two or three that I have the initial evidence on that just say "Continue in your Odyssey to reveal this Cultist" or something like that so I think the game is pretty good about letting me know about those.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Odds are there will also be a couple that you randomly end up killing because they happened to be in a location you were clearing/cleaning out. Gotta love sandbox games.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Odds are there will also be a couple that you randomly end up killing because they happened to be in a location you were clearing/cleaning out. Gotta love sandbox games.

Yyyup. This happened once already, just killed some rando okay, not a rando, he was a nation leader, but hadn't been revealed and got the "Confirm Cultist Kill" prompt which left me very confused for a couple of seconds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a good thing you have magic murder powers that tell you about this kind of thing. Just imagine how long you might have been looking for that guy otherwise.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a good thing you have magic murder powers that tell you about this kind of thing. Just imagine how long you might have been looking for that guy otherwise.

I'm just gonna pretend Kassandra knew because she found the Spooky Cult Dorito on his corpse.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The only locations I would advise clearing 100% of the time are tombs, because every single tomb contains Steles that give you skill points.

This is getting a little bit esoterica-y, but if you ever see a mercenary named <something> The Marksman, kill that dude ASAP- they drop one of the very best legendary bows in the entire game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything for Darksiders Genesis? I'd especially like any guidance on becoming overpowered early on.

In the meantime I created a page in the wiki for the following tips I found elsewhere online:

quote:

* You might prefer to play as Strife as much as possible, because War is old news, but War is much better for dealing with closed spaces and crowds of enemies, so don't be afraid to switch characters.
* When an enemy gets to low health, you can run up to them, hit B (On an Xbox controller) and execute them. You're invincible during the animation. If you kill an enemy normally (Without executing them) they'll drop souls. If you kill them with an execution, they'll drop health and wrath pickups.
* You need to manually collect the rewards for quests (Achievements, basically) in the main menu, so check in every once in a while.
* You can use the creature cores you pick up after the first level is over.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Liquid Banjo posted:

The final boss is an absolute fucker, and you shouldn't feel bad when you lose to it.

Also, the methods to unlock new ships are kind of convoluted; you should just look them up (after you've done a run or two).