Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

WELCOME TO THE UNDERWORLD!

Hades is an action game with rogue-like elements that’s set in the underworld of Greek mythology. It is being developed and published by Supergiant Games, makers of Bastion, Transistor and Pyre.

Hades is :kingsley:OUT NOW:kingsley: on Steam, Epic Games Store, Playstation, Xbox, and the Nintendo Switch. The regular price is $25 USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz8l935Bv0Y

Oh no! I don’t play games in EA!
Well, lucky for you the game has been released as of 9/17/2020! You should go buy it right now!

The Story
You are Prince Zagreus, son of the titular lord of the underworld. Things aren’t copacetic in the house of Hades. So, against your father’s wishes, you resolve to fight through the underworld and escape to the surface or die trying. And die you will. Likely many times. In the process, you’ll learn family secrets and history, meet interesting dead people, and maybe even help some of them lead better and more productive afterlives.

The game is fully voiced and features a ton of dialogue. Seriously, I’ve done hundreds of runs in Hades and I still often hear new lines.

So what’s the gameplay like?
Hades is an isometric hack-and-slash dungeon crawler with rogue-like elements. Combat is fast and often hectic with multiple melee and ranged weapons, special attacks and abilities. Your defense leans heavily on mobility, using dashes to evade damage. Zagreus battles his way through a series of small combat arenas, fighting hordes of enemies and powerful bosses, and collecting items and power-ups along the way. The game is run based (less than an hour each) and highly replayable.

Uh, it’s a “rogue-like,” huh? Is it like a FOR-REALS rogue-like or is it rogue-lite or some other rogue-ish type thing?
Oh FFS, please don’t make me get into some weirdo nerd debate about rogue-like definitions! Hades uses some rogue-like elements including hand-made rooms in randomized order with randomized enemies, abilities and rewards. It also features meta-progression between runs, making Zagreus more powerful over time as you continue to play.

Ah hell. Is this one of those really hard games where you die constantly?
No! Well, yes. But not really! Hades is a challenging game, but with familiar difficulty options seen in other Supergiant games. You will certainly die a bunch, especially early on and before you’ve bought permanent upgrades to strengthen Zagreus. But the game is generally tuned to where most players will eventually be able to beat it with some practice. For players who are interested in a greater challenge, you have the ability to add difficulty modifiers within a Pact of Punishment with points called Heat that makes the game harder in the ways most interesting to you. There’s also a HELL MODE for those who want things even harder and a GOD MODE for those who are struggling and just want to focus on advancing the story rather than gitting gud.

So what kind of powers can you get?
Each run, you’ll receive aid from the Olympian gods in the form of boons. Each god has several unique boons, each one giving you a different buff or enhancement to your weapons or abilities. This may be a damage boost, special effect, mobility boost, or something else entirely. Every boon is useful and potentially very powerful, so it pays to experiment and play with different builds.

There are several Olympians who can currently provide aid. Here’s a quick and not-at-all-inclusive run-down of the gods and their boons:

APHRODITE – Abilities that Charm enemies and inflict Weakness that reduces enemy damage.
ARES – Inflicts Doom on enemies that does a burst of damage after a short delay. Also creates swirling death vortexes called Blade Rifts.
ARTEMIS – Imparts a chance of Critical hits and improves ranged Casting abilities.
ATHENA – Grants the ability to Deflect damage.
DEMETER – Chills and slows enemies. Plus there's, uh, laser crystals...? :nattyburn:
DIONYSUS – Boons that inflict Hangover (poison) damage over time.
HERMES – Increases mobility, attack speed, and dodge chance.
POSEIDON – Grants powerful knockback effects that can slam enemies into walls.
ZEUS – Mostly grants chain lightning and related status effects.

Some boons can combine elements of more than one god in new and interesting ways too. There are some other kind(?) folks around the underworld that might lend you aid in interesting ways too, but we'll leave some surprises for now.

What kind of items are there?
In addition to boons, there are several items you can find in-game.

OBOL COIN – The in-run currency. Use coin to buy extra boons, buffs and items. You lose unspent coin at the end of each run, so spend it when you see something you want.

DARKNESS – Currency used to improve Zag’s abilities between runs. Spend your Darkness at the mirror in your room to get extra dashes, health, bonus damage and increased chances of finding more powerful boons, among other things.

NECTAR – Can be given to NPCs to build your relationships and learn their backstories. There are nice benefits from making friends in the underworld, so spread around the juice.

CENTAUR HEART – Gives a bonus to max health capacity within each run.

CHTHONIC KEYS – Unlocks upgrade options within the mirror, Pact of Punishment difficulty modifiers, new weapons and some in-game chests.

GEMSTONES – Used to upgrade the House of Hades and open some in-game bonuses.

POM OF POWER – Used to level up and increase the power of your boons.

DAEDALUS HAMMER – Modifies your main weapon in powerful ways for the remainder of the run. You can get a maximum of two hammers per run currently due to their strength.

There are also other rare items that you find mostly for beating bosses on increasing Heat levels. These can unlock new weapon variants, upgrade the house and do other interesting things.

How about the tunes?
It's your standard issue Supergiant Games soundtrack, which is to say that it was created by Darren Korb and it is awesome. It is available for purchase now on the Steam and Epic store pages. You can also listen on Darren’s Bandcamp page or on Youtube.

Most importantly, I've heard there is a doggo with lots of heads for petting. Is this true?
Yes. He is a good boys and you can pet hims.

...And the OP came to an end in a way entirely too graphic to describe.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

RESERVED

Let me know if anyone wants anything added.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 1, 2021

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

hades good

buy hades, pet dog³

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

it's hosed up that cerberus's third head gets all the pets imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Is there any point to giving Nectar to NPCs beyond the first one for the keepsake?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

Is there any point to giving Nectar to NPCs beyond the first one for the keepsake?

Yeah, there are a couple of things. It can advance the NPC's story and add info to the codex, if you care about those things. Also, some characters have a second keepsake that gives a powerful summon. You have to use boss drops to get the actual item, but you won't ever get the option unless you've got that NPC's relationship meter near maxed.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

dmboogie posted:

it's hosed up that cerberus's third head gets all the pets imo
if zag pats the flank do all 3 heads feel it ? I wonder if all 3 heads need to eat in order to feel like they ate or does the shared stomach report back fedfullness to each head.

These are serious lore questions that need answering.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Xaris posted:

you get unique voice lines for each one thats the real reward

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, there are a couple of things. It can advance the NPC's story and add info to the codex, if you care about those things. Also, some characters have a second keepsake that gives a powerful summon. You have to use boss drops to get the actual item, but you won't ever get the option unless you've got that NPC's relationship meter near maxed.

How many Nectars do you need to get there? I've got like 4 Ambrosia's stacked up

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog)

So, Supergiant always things changes things up pretty massively from game to game, but all their stories have a core theme in common - the end of a civilization.

In Bastion, The Kid wakes up after the cataclysmic fall of The City, picking through the shattered pieces of something that was (ostensibly) great. Transistor takes place on the final day of Cloudbank's existence, before the Process factory reset everything and everyone. In Pyre, the stars are dying, and the ancient rites are coming to an end - and you directly bring about the end of the Commonwealth, yourself.

Where does that leave Hades?

We're still in Early Access, and I certainly haven't seen all the voice lines myself, but I've noticed a trend.

In his old age, Cerberus spends more time lying down at Hades' side than standing guard at his post. Hades himself remarks that he is far, far weaker than he used to be. All the ancient heroes are dead and in the Underworld, from Achilles to Orpheus. Any time a non-godly figure or monster is referenced, it's in the past tense - the living world is barren of myths, or at least any that were passed down to us.

The glory days are over.

Is the Greek pantheon itself near the end of its existence? The fact that it's winter outside when Zag escapes, but Persephone is very much not in the Underworld shows that something is very obviously wrong.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 17, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've been playing this since last year and it's just been amazing watching it come together bit by bit but even now I still can't really say for sure if Hypnos is loving with me or not.

I habitually avoided Zeus boons for months since his poo poo never quite clicks outside his primary attack buff on Exagryph or maybe his cast, anyone had any good luck with him?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Caidin posted:

I've been playing this since last year and it's just been amazing watching it come together bit by bit but even now I still can't really say for sure if Hypnos is loving with me or not.

I habitually avoided Zeus boons for months since his poo poo never quite clicks outside his primary attack buff on Exagryph or maybe his cast, anyone had any good luck with him?

I've enjoyed his stuff in conjunction with the Jolted effect, since the lightning effects chain and are attached to everything it's easier to spread than Doom or similar effects even if it only triggers on their attack rather than a timer. I'm a big fan of his cast as well, really easy to lob at folks around corners and such.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Caidin posted:

If you manage to get several of his boons, there's a cumulative cascade of damage that's pretty awesome. I once got dash lightning, the area expansion, lightning split, jolted and the duo that auto-procs lightning from a resting bloodstone. It was like a fireworks display.

These are great observations. I'll be curious to see if this is where they go. I wonder if the renovations are an indicator of this, or possibly vice-versa.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

These are great observations. I'll be curious to see if this is where they go. I wonder if the renovations are an indicator of this, or possibly vice-versa.

i am absolutely sure that underworld renovations is just a cheeky euphemism for early access

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

game owns.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

dmboogie posted:

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog

So, Supergiant always things changes things up pretty massively from game to game, but all their stories have a core theme in common - the end of a civilization.

In Bastion, The Kid wakes up after the cataclysmic fall of The City, picking through the shattered pieces of something that was (ostensibly) great. Transistor takes place on the final day of Cloudbank's existence, before the Process factory reset everything and everyone. In Pyre, the stars are dying, and the ancient rites are coming to an end - and you directly bring about the end of the Commonwealth, yourself.

We're still in Early Access, and I certainly haven't seen all the voice lines myself, but I've noticed a trend.

In his old age, Cerberus spends more time lying down at Hades' side than standing guard at his post. Hades himself remarks that he is far, far weaker than he used to be. All the ancient heroes are dead and in the Underworld, from Achilles to Orpheus. Any time a non-godly figure or monster is referenced, it's in the past tense - the living world is barren of myths, or at least any that were passed down to us.

The glory days are over.

Is the Greek pantheon itself near the end of its existence? The fact that it's winter outside when Zag escapes, but Persephone is very much not in the Underworld shows that something is very obviously wrong.

I have a lot of questions about whats going beyond Zag's jailbreak, like what exactly are those Satyrs getting up to in the temple? Why is Hermes making it a point to hide that he's assisting you from the other gods and whats his deal with Charon? Why is exactly is Hades concealing so much from Zagreus. He had this out bit at the start of a run where he tells Zag having red blood is just an oddity of no importance and that he really shouldn't bring it up with anyone. Is Zag somehow part human? Are the gods becoming mortal? Does that even mean anything in the underworld? Why the gently caress can't I give Asterius gifts and is Theseus really THAT thick or is he just doing a bit because he's bored and also not Herakles?

Also not convinced the Narrator is just the narrator going by past Supergaint games but hard to say what his deal is.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 17, 2019

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm glad you made this thread because I wanted a chance to revel in this morning's captain america run. In the first room I got deflect-on-dash and in the second room I got deflect-on-special, and then like 2 rooms later I got two extra dashes (which later went up to three extra dashes)...and i just kept on getting more invulnerable!! I got 20+% dodge chance, I got weakness on attack, I got a duo that slowed down incoming projectiles (making them trivial to deflect), and then in the last floor I got athenas legendary which is literally an invulnerability buff.
I also started using the "be invuln for a second after taking damage" trinket because fuckit
It was beautiful

so yeah, strongly recommend athena/aphrodite combo

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

dmboogie posted:

i am absolutely sure that underworld renovations is just a cheeky euphemism for early access

Some of that doesn't seem tied to EA. When Zag buys upgrades from the contractor, he and Hades refer to the work as renovations too.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So what's the exchange rate on Titan Blood? I accidentally used up a couple testing stuff, and now I can't just max out the base Aegis for max damage reduction RIP. Seems like the only other way to get more is after defeating the final boss, and I can't even get past Theseus at the moment.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Think I'm mostly going to stay out of this thread until I beat the game at least once cause I haven't even met all the characters yet, but just wanted to say the game's super good and polished and addictive. I am not very good and in ten hours the furthest I've made it is chamber 37, but that's okay. The only thing it's missing for me is an in-game list of boons because there are so goddamn many I can't remember who offers what and sometimes you need to make a choice. Maybe I should count remembering those as getting better at the game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Glare Seethe posted:

Think I'm mostly going to stay out of this thread until I beat the game at least once cause I haven't even met all the characters yet, but just wanted to say the game's super good and polished and addictive. I am not very good and in ten hours the furthest I've made it is chamber 37, but that's okay. The only thing it's missing for me is an in-game list of boons because there are so goddamn many I can't remember who offers what and sometimes you need to make a choice. Maybe I should count remembering those as getting better at the game.

You'll get there eventually! The boons can be hard to keep track of, but for gods, they're typically *status effect* added to *type of attack or dash*, and if you pick them further, it's *bonus effect* for *status effect*.

The only exception is Hermes (wings) because he is Speed God and all his buffs are some form of gotta go fast. Therefore I would argue he's a top pick of Boon for sure, since the others can be interchangeable. Sure, there are optimal picks, but if you're using your Special Attack a lot and you don't have a boon for it yet, just picking anything is a straight upgrade. You can even level it up, and if you switch to a different God's boon for that attack, the level will be retained.

The other big game change is Daedalus aka the hammer, which changes the properties of your attacks by upgrading the weapon you're equipped with. Also rare, but can be found as the very first pick even in the game, if you're lucky.

EDIT: The symbol I hate most is the one for gold because I'm still picking it sometimes going "Uh, which guy is this again" followed by dammit I'm rich come onnnn

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

srulz posted:

So what's the exchange rate on Titan Blood? I accidentally used up a couple testing stuff, and now I can't just max out the base Aegis for max damage reduction RIP. Seems like the only other way to get more is after defeating the final boss, and I can't even get past Theseus at the moment.

In the lounge there's a shop that'll trade you 1 Titan Blood for 1 Ambrosia plus all the other resources too by trading up

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog)

The glory days are over.

Here's my thinking:

It's our world after a nuclear winter, and/or Persephone is dead, gone, or transformed into something irretrievable. That explains why it's Winter out, Hades's sore spot every time she comes up, and, most importantly, why she isn't helping Zag get through the underworld like her family. It would also explain Demeter's non-appearance; she's distraught over the void left by her daughter.

Anyone else notice the theme of unrequited love?

That's the most naively charitable description of Hades and Persephone's relationship. It's continued through Orpheus and Eurydice's relationship in the game, I get the feeling Zag has a thing for Meg, and Dusa clearly has a thing for Zag.

I wonder how that will tie into the overall plot.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Why are the Pantheon so keen to help you ?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fun game, beat Hades by stacking Artemis boons and constantly crit him for 1000+ damage every swing. Then beat him again right after with the sword again, still can't beat him with any of the other weapons.

Great stuff all around, my only two gripes is that the second boss is boring and the gun feels awful to use until you get a daedalus upgrade (or until you upgrade its ammo capacity in the loadout I guess, still haven't spent any blood on that)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Qmass posted:

Why are the Pantheon so keen to help you ?

they’re bored and helping Zagreus makes Hades miserable, which is always a hoot

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Oxxidation posted:

they’re bored and helping Zagreus makes Hades miserable, which is always a hoot

It also comes up I think in a conversation with chaos: they don't realize you're looking for Persephone, they think you just want to join the big God party on Olympus or something. Zag says something along the lines of "I'll tell them once I get there" and for now he lets them believe what they want. So the gods have different motives then we do, which will probably come up in the last area(s) endgame.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 17, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I kinda love how Zag learns of Persephone.

Greek Chorus: And that was how the prince found the last letter of his mother.
Zag: Wait, who the what now?!
Greek Chorus: Uhh...and THAT was how the prince learned the identity of his mother.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think most of the gods just want to dunk on Hades, with maybe the exception of Artemis and/or Ares.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Game is good. It is great at scratching the one more run itch.

Styg blade feels best atm, by a lot. Put the first titan blood into the assault rifle thinking I could easily get more. Welp!

The keepsake that gives 4% chance at food is much more useful than the percentage suggests. Lots of pots to smash.

I've yet to see decent money drop from pots tho and I have the renovstion upgrade for it.

Best upgrades Ive seen so far:
Attack upgrade from aphrodite. A ton of extra damage.
Special upgrade from Athena. Deflecting is so good.
Homing arrows from Artemis.
Afterparty from Drunk God. Once your hp is in order this thing saves runs.
Daedalus hammers by default. There don't seem to be bad choices.

I need to stop mainlining the sword but its too good!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Glare Seethe posted:

One of the contractor upgrades is a list of in-game achievables with rewards. That at least will give you a list of names of boons of the various gods, and mark any ones you haven't taken yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just noticed there's a single red shade that cheers for you during the Theseus and Minos fight. He has a banner and all.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I had been following this but the combination of early access + EGS meant that I didn't really want to pick it up until it was closer to completion.

I got a chance at a recent build at PAX this fall though and it was good enough that I snapped it up as soon as it dropped on Steam, completely a blast. I've made three successful escapes - one off the utility of the shield and two using good Cast builds. A crit cast build that lucks out with Chaos boons to increase damage gets incredibly silly - my run against the last boss with a near-perfect setup had me landing 1500 crits with my casts and lasted about 45 seconds. Like any good roguelike finding the right combination of synergies for a build is an excellent feeling.

Game's good and there's a ton of content sneakily hidden to not be immediately apparent even after a couple successful escapes. Alternate bosses! Alternate attack patterns! An entirely new challenge area you need to drop diamonds on a renovation just to unlock!

Final thought: anyone who doesn't give Cerberus pets before each escape is a monster who deserves to remain in Hell.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish I could give Cerberus pats every time, but he seems to be missing a lot when you come back after reaching the fourth area.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

OutOfPrint posted:

Here's my thinking:

It's our world after a nuclear winter, and/or Persephone is dead, gone, or transformed into something irretrievable. That explains why it's Winter out, Hades's sore spot every time she comes up, and, most importantly, why she isn't helping Zag get through the underworld like her family. It would also explain Demeter's non-appearance; she's distraught over the void left by her daughter.

Since seeing the health pickups at the store I've been jokingly saying that it's modern day on the surface. You're getting a gyro wrapped in foil with fries in a red cardboard container from Charon ffs. I hadn't even considered the winter angle.

A bit of contrary evidence for this are the entries about the rail, cheekily saying how it a real good thing humanity hasn't figured out how to make an equivalent (guns), but Achilles wouldn't know if they had. I think Ares says something about that too maybe, but I could be mistaken. That and there boons are all "pre-recorded" messages, maybe they've been sitting around forever or something.

Anyway this might be the most polished rogue-like/lite with the most voiced dialogue I've ever seen. Having a real blast with it so far. I checked out a few early streams from a year ago and it's interesting to see how far it's come too.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Broken Cog posted:

I wish I could give Cerberus pats every time, but he seems to be missing a lot when you come back after reaching the fourth area.

Try exiting to your bedroom and then coming back to the main area. Sometimes characters rearrange and reappear when you leave once, including Cerberus. New dialogue can open too occasionally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

Since seeing the health pickups at the store I've been jokingly saying that it's modern day on the surface. You're getting a gyro wrapped in foil with fries in a red cardboard container from Charon ffs. I hadn't even considered the winter angle.

A bit of contrary evidence for this are the entries about the rail, cheekily saying how it a real good thing humanity hasn't figured out how to make an equivalent (guns), but Achilles wouldn't know if they had. I think Ares says something about that too maybe, but I could be mistaken. That and there boons are all "pre-recorded" messages, maybe they've been sitting around forever or something.

also if this were the case one would think you'd get a few more "killed by gunshot/starvation/all-consuming atomic inferno" popups in the foyer

shadowodes
Feb 13, 2019
I've got a couple of Gods that have hearts with timers on them and I'm unable to give them any Nectar.

Do I have to talk to them more? Or go through more runs?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

shadowodes posted:

I've got a couple of Gods that have hearts with timers on them and I'm unable to give them any Nectar.

Do I have to talk to them more? Or go through more runs?

If your up to a timer I believe that's just end of gift giving in current content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there a list of the things you get for giving ambrosia (I think that's what it's called) to people? Only got one from beating the boss of the 3rd area (and then went on to beat the game that go) and it was tough enough that I'm not sure when I'll get another.