Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir

Manifisto posted:

I feel bad if I'm yoinking the opportunity for a cert from someone. you can offer it to someone else for a different thing, or I'll take it and find a way to pay it forward.

facing the post

those are just simple versions, were you looking for some kind of animated effect or anything?

transparent background is perfect! I wouldn’t mind it as is but a cute lil animation would be fun to see if it isn’t too much trouble

your was nice too pot smoke phoenix, I’m just a sucker for avs without backgrounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

owlhawk911 posted:

they didn't do it to be greedy
please use your cert to help the needy
these edits made were gifts of love
happy holidays to you bruv

since neither one wants the certs themselves I could pay it forward by giving it to one who both wants and needs it, it’s christmas after all

FluffieDuckie posted:

this was beautiful. i don't have the skills to do what you want, i just wanted to thank you for your poetry

I’m glad it was appreciated :3:

FluffieDuckie

ulvir posted:

since neither one wants the certs themselves I could pay it forward by giving it to one who both wants and needs it, it’s christmas after all

that would be nice!

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Manifisto

ulvir posted:

transparent background is perfect! I wouldn’t mind it as is but a cute lil animation would be fun to see if it isn’t too much trouble

your was nice too pot smoke phoenix, I’m just a sucker for avs without backgrounds

yeah, however when you're animating a gif sometimes it looks much better with a background (due to technical reasons the outlines cannot be made nice and smooth). I'm happy to try adding a blink to the version I did, which direction do you prefer the av to face?

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

imho this guy

but blinking once in a while like PSP's would be pro af, not my av tho. i really want to learn to animate stuff, gonna go try that now

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

ulvir

Manifisto posted:

yeah, however when you're animating a gif sometimes it looks much better with a background (due to technical reasons the outlines cannot be made nice and smooth). I'm happy to try adding a blink to the version I did, which direction do you prefer the av to face?

I like the one looking at the post, so I’m gonna go with that

owlhawk911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYI6VGPbLrc

:3: if this lil feller can do it then so can i

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i just noticed owlhawk and PSP's avatars rhyme

I made them both on ez-gif.com, they're probably synched by the website's animator program

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 17, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

ulvir posted:

I like the one looking at the post, so I’m gonna go with that

how's this? I just replicated what psp did

ty nesamdoom!

ulvir

Manifisto posted:

:eyepop:

owlhawk911

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I made them both on ez-gif.com, they're probably synched by the website's animator program

ez-gif.com doesn't load for me, but that reminds me. you got source images for mine so i can gently caress with it someday?

Manifisto posted:

i think this would be better slower, like the eyebrow raise in his av now. subtle and restrained, such class

ulvir

owlhawk911 posted:

ez-gif.com doesn't load for me, but that reminds me. you got source images for mine so i can gently caress with it someday?

i think this would be better slower, like the eyebrow raise in his av now. subtle and restrained, such class

too late I fell in love too quickly

thanks to you both for collabing this :glomp:

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYI6VGPbLrc

:3: if this lil feller can do it then so can i

you can do it! however you might want to look for tutorials doing this in gimp (or photoshop if you own it). looks like krita doesn't have native tools for working with animations so you have to extra steps to assemble the final animation. that's okay for simple projects but when you want to make tweaks (for example, to the timing) having to do those extra steps every time would get maddening.

ty nesamdoom!

FluffieDuckie

you look fabulous

Manifisto

ulvir posted:

you're welcome! another successful etc etc

ty nesamdoom!

ulvir

I'm not sure if you can buy a cert and just keep it on hand, so if anyone needs a cert for their first av, or if your av is too grey forums-like and want a change, just hit me up on PMs or get mods to PM me, and I'll keep my end of the bargain

owlhawk911

ulvir posted:

it's beautiful, you're perfect

Manifisto posted:

you can do it! however you might want to look for tutorials doing this in gimp (or photoshop if you own it). looks like krita doesn't have native tools for working with animations so you have to extra steps to assemble the final animation. that's okay for simple projects but when you want to make tweaks (for example, to the timing) having to do those extra steps every time would get maddening.

which is better/which do you use? there's a dude in SA-mart hustling cheap CC subscriptions as of last night, it might be the time

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

cda posted:

i am not wwry i just stole his av because i always coveted it

cool, it is a good avatar.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

owlhawk911 posted:

https://www.ezgif.com

I accidently added the dash, sorry- go to the website, download your av to your device ( I use a PC, it's so much easier for me than an iPad) and click the "split" tab up top.

Click "choose file", select your av file, and click "upload!" and it will split your av into the composite frames that comprise your av file.

You can then adjust the order of the frames, change the speed of frames, and modify the speed of the overall animation.

Somethingawful has some particular requirements for the size of an AV, both in it'a height and width (180 x 180) and it's overall filesize (125k iirc) so keep these in mind when modifying the image.

Have fun!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

ulvir posted:

:hfive::tipshat:

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

https://www.ezgif.com

I accidently added the dash, sorry- go to the website, download your av to your device ( I use a PC, it's so much easier for me than an iPad) and click the "split" tab up top.

Click "choose file", select your av file, and click "upload!" and it will split your av into the composite frames that comprise your av file.

You can then adjust the order of the frames, change the speed of frames, and modify the speed of the overall animation.

Somethingawful has some particular requirements for the size of an AV, both in it'a height and width (180 x 180) and it's overall filesize (125k iirc) so keep these in mind when modifying the image.

Have fun!

150k is the max file size

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

any one currently looking to have their avatar winter-atized ? or any other requests?

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

it's beautiful, you're perfect

which is better/which do you use? there's a dude in SA-mart hustling cheap CC subscriptions as of last night, it might be the time

I think you can't really go wrong either way. most people find photoshop to be a much more polished experience, it gets advanced features much more quickly, there's a reason it's a professional staple. gimp has come a long way, it has lots of features and is actively improving, it's free so the entry barrier is nil, it has the benefits of open source software which not everybody cares about and that's okay. it's popular enough that there will be community resources and how-tos for many common questions.

I generally stick with gimp for this kind of thing. I've gotten used to its way of doing things. a personal foible, the subscription model gives me anxiety about whether I'm using it enough/well enough to justify the cost, whether and when I should cancel and/or restart . . . by using a free tool that will be around forever (within reason) I never have to worry about that.

ty nesamdoom!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

i use photoshop now-a-days but i used to devotedly use GIMP like 10 years ago or whatever and honestly its a very capable piece of software. and its logo is a dog, which is cool

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i use photoshop now-a-days but i used to devotedly use GIMP like 10 years ago or whatever and honestly its a very capable piece of software. and its logo is a dog, which is cool

They are both overkill for avatars, and GIMP is free. If you are doing a lot of stuff though Adobe CC has some nice features that GIMP wont see for years. It just adds up and you'd have to be getting some real entertainment value out of your creations for it to be worth the monthly subscription.

sig by owlhawk911

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

pixaal posted:

They are both overkill for avatars, and GIMP is free. If you are doing a lot of stuff though Adobe CC has some nice features that GIMP wont see for years. It just adds up and you'd have to be getting some real entertainment value out of your creations for it to be worth the monthly subscription.

oh yeah lol, you absolutely do not need creative suite for a 180x180 150kb image

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I never figured out how to animate in GIMP, so Adobe will get my money until I die probably

owlhawk911

gonna steal photoshop because i love crime, but use gimp out of respect for the contributions of the hard-working foss community. thanks guys

pixaal

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I never figured out how to animate in GIMP, so Adobe will get my money until I die probably

1 layer per frame, set it to 1 layer per frame after checking the animate box under gif export dialog box.

There's an additive mode but you would need to understand how that works. If you need each frame to be a different timing you do something like LAYER1 (100ms) or something, I haven't really done variable framerates, but it's super hacky in gimp since it's the layer name.

GIMP is really hard to work with animations longer than 5 or 6 frames. (Which is where Blender would take over)

sig by owlhawk911

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

TVsVeryOwn posted:

its not too different, you put each frame of animation you want on its own layer, then you go to the animation dropdown and the software takes it from there

e: pixaal beat me with a much more in depth instructional because hes the best :)

Manifisto

there are even how-tos scattered around byob (of which I have made a few), it's frustrating that we don't have a place to put them for reference that won't keep sliding off the front page. however, the topic is not really worth a permanent sticky. OR IS IT???? no

although gimp is generally not practical for big projects, I've been surprised time after time when I've opened animations with, like, thousands of layers (this can happen when working with movie clips). I feel certain it's going to crash, but somehow it rarely does. the file might take minutes to load, but load it eventually does and it's even usable.

someone mentioned blender, while I don't know much about it I've heard good things

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

Manifisto posted:

there are even how-tos scattered around byob (of which I have made a few), it's frustrating that we don't have a place to put them for reference that won't keep sliding off the front page. however, the topic is not really worth a permanent sticky. OR IS IT???? no

although gimp is generally not practical for big projects, I've been surprised time after time when I've opened animations with, like, thousands of layers (this can happen when working with movie clips). I feel certain it's going to crash, but somehow it rarely does. the file might take minutes to load, but load it eventually does and it's even usable.

someone mentioned blender, while I don't know much about it I've heard good things

What about a wiki, do we still own chillinternet.club? wiki.chillinternet.club, all your BYOB themed GIMP, Blender and photoshop needs.

sig by owlhawk911

Manifisto

pixaal posted:

do we still own chillinternet.club?

darnit apparently we do not

ty nesamdoom!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

How about a 'byob library of alexandria' stickypost that has links to important threads and resources in the OP as a permanent reference?

it could for instance have a link to this very thread, which has previously fallen off the first page!

owlhawk911

Manifisto posted:

there's a stickied rules thread that i refuse to click on principle, maybe it could say "(and tips!)" or "& resources" and have something cooler than rules in it

FluffieDuckie

owlhawk911 posted:

there's a stickied rules thread that i refuse to click on principle, maybe it could say "(and tips!)" or "& resources" and have something cooler than rules in it

you go click on the rules thread right now :argh:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

we have rules here????? o_0

nut

im late but the av is good very good

nut

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

we have rules here????? o_0

ya

dog rules